Big employers like ANZ, Spark and 2degrees already offer flexible work setups.
All posts by FreeNews
Knife attack on teacher leaves Waikato parents hesitant to send kids back to school
A lockdown started last week after a teacher was allegedly stabbed by a student.
Mecca hit with $600k fine for failing to lodge financial reports on time
Australian cosmetics giant Mecca has been handed an almost $600,000 fine for failing to lodge audited financial reports on time.
Mecca's associated companies, Mecca Brands Pty Ltd, Mecca Brands NZ Pty Ltd, and parent company RTH Pty Ltd, have each paid $198,000 in infringement notices after being accused of late lodgements by the corporate watchdog.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) said Mecca did not lodge audited financial reports for the year ended 28 December 2024, which were due on April 25, 2025.
LIVE UPDATES: Trump threatens to wipe out critical island, UN calls emergency meeting
"Three large proprietary companies associated with the Mecca group have paid $594,000 in infringement notices after allegedly failing to lodge audited financial reports on time," the regulator said in a statement.
"ASIC began inquiries with Mecca in July 2025, and the companies lodged their financial statements shortly after being contacted by ASIC."
ASIC noted that payment of an infringement notice is "not an admission of guilt or liability, and the companies are not regarded as having been convicted of the alleged offence".
In a statement, a spokesperson for Mecca said it acknowledged the infringement notice handed down by ASIC.
"We have never disputed that some of our filings were submitted later than required and we take our reporting obligations seriously," the spokesperson said.
"We have worked constructively with ASIC and our auditors to address these delays and have strengthened our internal processes to ensure timely lodgement going forward.
"This matter is now resolved.
"As a private company, we remain committed to meeting our regulatory obligations with the same discipline we apply across all areas of our business."
READ MORE: Jackie 'O' files $82 million lawsuit after radio contract torn up
FUEL CRISIS: When will Australia's petrol prices go down after fuel excise halved?
Large proprietary companies like Mecca are legally obliged to lodge financial reports to ensure creditors and other stakeholders can remain informed about business operations.
A total of 12 large proprietary companies received fines for allegedly failing to lodge their FY24 audited financial reports on time, ASIC said.
"ASIC reminds the directors of large proprietary companies and other entities with financial reporting obligations that they need to proactively review their reporting obligations and ensure financial reports are lodged in a timely manner," ASIC Commissioner Kate O'Rourke said.
"We also remind auditors of these entities to notify ASIC if they are aware or suspect that a company is not complying with its lodgement obligations."
Mecca was founded in Melbourne in 1997 by Jo Horgan.
Its parent company, RTCH, is run by Horgan and her husband Peter Wetenhall.
Mecca has 110 locations around Australia and New Zealand and opened its flagship store on Melbourne's Bourke Street last year.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Gisborne convicted double murderer Libya Tamihere sentenced to life in prison
Libya Tamihere was found guilty of murdering two men. Now he has been sentenced.
Delay for teen accused of Universal founder Greg Josephson’s fatal stabbing
A teenager accused of murdering the co-founder of a national clothing store chain at a house party is still waiting for a psychiatric report to be completed, a magistrate has heard.
The boy was aged 15 when he was accused of fatally stabbing Greg Josephson, who established Australian fashion retailer Universal Store, at the man's Clayfield home in Brisbane's south last year.
He is the first juvenile to be charged with murder after the passage of Queensland's controversial "adult crime, adult time" laws, mandating he will face a life sentence if found guilty.
LIVE UPDATES: Trump threatens to wipe out critical island, UN calls emergency meeting
Police were called to the house about 8.15pm on June 26, 2025 after Mr Josephson was found dead during a party involving about 30 young people.
The charge against the teen, now aged 16, was briefly mentioned in Brisbane Children's Court on Tuesday.
A psychiatrist had yet to complete his medical opinion on the teen, defence solicitor Kris Jahnke told magistrate Anne Thacker.
"I'm told that he should be in a position to provide an opinion by the end of April," Jahnke said.
The teen, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was not required to appear.
Thacker said she had been told the psychiatric report would be provided this month.
"This is a complex matter. (The psychiatrist) has been meeting with my client on numerous occasions but he has also experienced some delay in respect of being able to get into the youth detention centre," Jahnke said.
Records of the teen's current treatment while in custody on remand were also being sought, Thacker heard.
FUEL CRISIS: When will Australia's petrol prices go down after fuel excise halved?
Jahnke sought to adjourn the matter to May 26 and prosecutors did not object.
Thacker granted the adjournment and remanded the teen in custody.
Police said they were confronted with a "confusing" scene when they arrived at Josephson's home in the upmarket inner-city Brisbane suburb of Clayfield in June 2025.
A majority of the teenagers at the party were unaware of what had occurred before officers discovered Josephson's body inside the home, investigators said.
"It was a confusing situation because it was a party," acting Detective Superintendent Craig Williams told reporters in July 2025.
Josephson founded Universal Store with his brother Michael in 1999.
The national apparel retailer was acquired by a group of private equity investors in 2018 for a reported $100 million and two years later the business went public on the ASX.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Dunedin woman who falsely accused midwife on TikTok put under supervision
Elana Jane Robins livestreamed the false claims to about 68,000 followers.
Hegseth sought to buy defence stocks before Iran war began: report
The Pentagon has vociferously denied reports that Secretary of War Pete Hegseth sought to make multi-million dollar investments in defence stocks in the weeks before the Iran war began.
The Financial Times reported Hegseth's broker contacted investment firm BlackRock about investing in their Defense Industrials Active ETF.
Because the fund was not yet ready to take on investors, the purchase did not take place, the newspaper reported.
READ MORE: Donald Trump to put his name on all US paper money
Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell has denied the reports.
"This allegation is entirely false and fabricated," Parnell said.
"Neither Secretary Hegseth nor any of his representatives approached BlackRock about any such investment.
"This is yet another baseless, dishonest smear designed to mislead the public."
READ MORE: $800m in trades before Trump announcement 'is treason'
Parnell demanded an immediate retraction.
"Secretary Hegseth and the Department of War remain unwavering in their commitment to the highest standards of ethics and strict adherence to all applicable laws and regulations," he said.
The Financial Times cited "three people familiar with the matter" in making their reporting, all anonymous.
The Trump administration has been attracting scrutiny after a series of well-timed trades before major actions.
An entity or several entities traded heavily on S&P 500 and oil futures minutes before a Truth Social post from Donald Trump sent markets swinging earlier this month.
READ MORE: Trump on shaky ground after Democrats win Mar-a-Lago seat
In the space of a minute, more than $800 million in trades was made on oil futures.
And whoever made those trades made an incredible amount of money.
Betting app Kalshi has refused to pay out $77 million in winnings to punters who bet Ayatollah Ali Khamenei would be out of office by March 1.
Khamenei was killed by a US and Israeli bombing strike hours before the deadline was reached.
Meanwhile on Polymarket, 150 accounts bet more than a million dollars that the US would strike Iran the next day.
And in January, a Polymarket user made about $570,000 betting that Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro would be out of office before the end of the month.
They had doubled down on their bet hours before the US seized the leader in a military strike.
READ MORE: It takes two to TACO: Why Trump can't end war with Iran by himself
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Saint Lucia: The Ministry Of Health, Wellness And Nutrition Hosts A Stakeholder Consultation On Strengthening Saint Lucia’s Health System Resilience
The Ministry of Health, Wellness and Nutrition recently convened a Stakeholder Consultation on Health System Resilience in Response to Global Threats at the Bel Jou Hotel Conference Room. The session brought together key health professionals from the Ministry of Health, partners from across the public and private health sectors and civil society to engage in […]
Minister Dr. Clarke Urges Mindful Consumption on Global Zero Waste Day
Basseterre, St. Kitts (March 30, 2026) – Today, Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment and Climate Action et al., Hon. Dr. Joyelle Clarke, joined the global community in observing Zero Waste Day, a worldwide initiative promoting sustainable consumption and environmental protection. At today’s press conference, Dr. Clarke emphasized the day’s significance, calling it “a global observance […]
Great Britain: Simpler Household Recycling Rules Come Into Force Across England
Households across England are set to benefit from clear new rules on sorting their recycling and waste – which come into force today (Tuesday 31 March 2026) – ending years of confusion over what goes in which bin and enabling consistent, streamlined collections. The government’s Simpler Recycling scheme will boost recycling rates and cut the amount of waste sent to landfill or […]