All posts by FreeNews

All Eyes on Wall St. After 5 Weeks of Losses Spurred by Iran War

All three major stock indexes are down 7% since the war in Iran began five weeks ago and what started off as a short-term geopolitical flare up could turn into a longer-term slide. NBC’s business correspondent Brian Cheung reports for TODAY on the war’s impact on oil and gas prices, as well as mortgage rates as the Federal Reserve weighs an interest rate hike.

Charges dropped against Brisbane teen after woman run over in alleged home invasion

A Brisbane woman who was run over by her own car as it was allegedly stolen by a group of teens has told of her disappointment after charges were dropped against one of them due to a lack of evidence.

Emma Trillo and her partner were woken by a disturbance at their home in Ascot about 4.30am on September 10 last year, before Trillo was run down by her own black BMW and left with a fractured hip, pelvis and spine.

Leo Angelo Matar, 18, has today had all charges against him relating to the alleged confrontation dropped.

AS IT HAPPENED: 'Evil man' Dezi Freeman was 'armed, wrapped in blanket' when shot

Emma Trillo is still suffering from long-term injuries.

At a previous bail hearing, the court heard the prosecution's case heavily relied on a thumbnail-sized photo that allegedly showed Matar with two teens taken on the day of the alleged crimes.

Those two 16-year-olds are still facing charges over the incident.

FINANCE: Millions of Aussies to suffer further after major bank's fresh rates warning

"The system has really let us down in this scenario," Trillo said.

"My bones have healed, but soft tissue injuries are still in play. I'm still seeing physio.

READ MORE: 'That's still my father': Cop killer's son slams 'disgusting' comments

The incident happened in Ascot Vale in Brisbane.

"Still to this day, we have trouble sleeping of an evening."

Matar's father David Sandford, said the family was relieved.

"We just want to get him recovered. We just wanna get him back on the track," he said.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Families of officers Dezi Freeman allegedly killed finally have answers

The families of two police officers allegedly shot dead by Dezi Freeman last year finally have answers after the fugitive managed to evade police for seven months.

Freeman allegedly killed the officers "in cold blood" in Porepunkah, Victoria last August.

He then fled into bushland, kicking off a manhunt that gripped the nation – and ended this morning.

LIVE UPDAYES: Dezi Freeman shot dead after seven months on the run

Art for the Nine.com.au homepage of Dezi Freeman, who was reportedly shot dead in Victoria's north-east.

Freeman was reportedly hiding in a shipping container on a property in Thologolong when he was shot dead by heavily-armed police today.

His death brings the manhunt to an end, but the story of the Porepunkah shooting and the lives it changed forever isn't over yet.

Especially not for the families of Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart-Hottart

"It doesn't lessen the trauma, give back the futures that were callously stolen or lessen the collective fear and grief that this tragic event has instilled in police and the wider public," a Police Association Victoria spokesperson said.

The families of Thompson and De Waart-Hottart were the first to be notified that Freeman had reportedly been shot dead by police this morning.

LIVE UPDATES: All eyes on National Cabinet to solve fuel crisis

Porepunkah shooting victims Vadim de Waart and Neal Thompson

Freeman had several run-ins with police before that deadly day.

A self-declared "sovereign citizen", Freeman referred to police in court as "frigging Nazis", "Gestapo" and "terrorist thugs", a court judgement shows.

On other occasions he tried to place a magistrate and several police officers "under arrest" in court.

Nothing could have prepared police for what unfolded on the morning of August 26.

Officers arrived at the Rayner Track property where Freeman was living to execute a search warrant on behalf of the Wangaratta Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team.

Freeman allegedly opened fire on the officers, killing Thompson and Waart-Hottart, and injuring a third officer.

READ MORE: Fugitive gunman Dezi Freeman shot dead by police after seven months on the run

An accused gunman on the run after two police officers were fatally shot and another was wounded as been identified as Dezi Freeman.

Police returned fire but Freeman was able to escape on foot and was seen fleeing into the bush.

So began a manhunt for the alleged cop-killer, who managed to evade hundreds of police, specialist officers, volunteers and dogs for months.

Tensions were high the immediate aftermath of the shooting.

The remote town of Porepunkah was thrown into lockdown, with police urging locals to stay inside and warning outsiders to stay away.

Roadblocks were set up on the edge of town and police worked through the night in the hopes of capturing Freeman, who was believed to be armed.

READ MORE: Why NSW government has decided not to offer free public transport for commuters amid fuel crisis

Porepunkah map

Freeman's partner, Amalia, and children presented themselves to local police for questioning. Amalia was later arrested.

But as the days dragged on, bringing brutal weather to the region, there was still no sight of Freeman.

Days turned into weeks. Weeks became months.

In September, Victoria Police announced a reward of up to $1 million for information leading to Freeman's arrest.

But as the New Year rolled in, he remained at large.

Updates were few and far between.

READ MORE: Apple almost went broke – now it's celebrating 50 years

Manhunt for Dezi Freeman

Despite multiple searches of Victorian bushland and properties and questioning Freeman's friends and family, police seemed no closer to locating the alleged killer.

"We are currently exploring three scenarios: the first is that Freeman is dead, either by self-harm or misadventure," Victoria Police Detective Inspector Adam Tilley said in February.

"The second [theory] is he has been able to escape the area and is being harboured by a person or people.

"And a third scenario we are exploring is that he has left the area and is on the run unassisted and he has not been located."

The following month, police confirmed charges would not be laid against Freeman's wife and two other people who were probed over the deadly Porepunkah shooting.

READ MORE: Federal government to avoid 'harsher measures and restrictions' ahead of national cabinet meeting to address Australia's fuel crisis

Dezi Freeman interviewed for A Current Affair (Nine)

Little did the rest of Australia know, Freeman was very much alive.

He was reportedly hiding out in a makeshift caravan-cross-shipping container on a rural property in Thologolong, located in Victoria's north east.

That's where police found and attempted to negotiate with the fugitive, sparking a three-hour standoff this morning.

Freeman emerged from the caravan bunker wrapped in a blanket and armed with a gun he had stolen from one of the slain police officers, 9News understands.

It is believed he opened fire at officers.

READ MORE: Apple almost went broke – now it's celebrating 50 years

The Thologolong property where Dezi Freeman was reportedly shot dead.

Police believe multiple officers opened fire at Freeman, who was fatally shot.

News of his death sent shockwaves around the country, making headlines on every news site in the nation.

It's unclear how long Freeman had been hiding in the shipping container, and how police finally found him after so many months.

Those details will emerge in time.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush said in a press conference that it's likely other individuals aided Freeman in evading police for so long.

READ MORE: Police search for driver after Melbourne father badly hurt in hit-and-run

Victoria police on Freeman shooting

"I am sure some assisted him in getting away from Porepunkah to where he is located," Bush said.

He added that anyone "complicit" in Freeman's hiding would face charges.

Bush also suggested that the public may never know if anyone collects the $1 million reward for information leading to Freeman's arrest.

"Anything in relation to any reward or anything else about the investigation will be kept confidential," he said.

He said today's shooting was "justified" and the conclusion of the police operation will give closure to those affected by the Porepunkah shooting.

READ MORE: How many days does Australia have left of fuel?

Police reportedly used a bearcat to ram the shipping container where Freeman was located.

But for the police officers and families devastated by Freeman's actions on August 26, this moment – though it has been a long time coming – is not the end.

"Closure isn't the right word," a Police Association Victoria spokesperson said earlier today.

"This represents a step forward for our members, for the families of our fallen members and for the community."

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

‘That’s still my father’: Cop killer’s son slams ‘disgusting’ comments

Dezi Freeman's eldest son has condemned celebrations of the cop killer's death this morning.

In a post to a local Facebook group, a man claiming to be Dezi's eldest son Koah hit out at "disgusting humans" celebrating the fugitive's death online.

"This is news that I'll be grieving about while some of you disgusting humans celebrate online for ME to watch," he wrote.

LIVE UPDATES: Dezi Freeman shot dead after seven months on the run

An aerial image of the Walwa property where Dezi Freeman was reportedly located this morning.

"Before you have something smart to say, how about you try and experience 1 per cent of what me and my family are going through?"

"If you can't then I highly recommend keeping your nasty comments and thoughts to yourself."

Koah clarified he was "not here to defend my father's action because I know what he did was wrong".

"What I'm here about however is seeing so called "friends" and people who I thought were nice people to say some questionable things," he wrote.

"Just bear in mind that to you's my father was a cop killer, but to me that's still my father who raised me to be the man I am today.

READ MORE: How many days does Australia have left of fuel?

Koah Freeman's Facebook post regarding his father Dezi Freeman's shooting death.

"And for the people who know me well they know exactly what I'm talking about.

"My heart also goes out to the family's of the fallen police officer who finally have closure," he added.

Dezi Freeman was reportedly shot dead on a rural property near Walwa, on the north-east Victorian border this morning after seven months on the run.

Victoria Police confirmed a man was fatally shot at a rural address in Walwa, north-east of Porepunkah and on the border with NSW, just before 8.30am.

Victoria Police Commissioner Mike Bush would not name the man shot dead, pending official identification processes, but said he was believed to be Freeman.

He is accused of murdering Victorian police officers Neal Thompson, 59, and Vadim De Waart-Hottart, 35 and seriously injuring a third at a Porepunkah property on August 26.

Earlier this month police announced three people, including Dezi's wife and Koah's mum, Mali Freeman, would not be charged in relation into the investigation, after they were interviewed regarding obstruction of police.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Police likely believed Dezi Freeman was dead before tip-off, former police negotiator says

Police likely believed cop killer Dezi Freeman was dead before they were led to a rural Victorian property where they engaged in a deadly standoff with the fugitive this morning, a former police negotiator says.

Freeman was shot dead on a remote Thologolong property, near the Victoria-NSW border, around 8.30am after three hours of negotiations, Victoria Police said today.

Police were reportedly tipped-off to his whereabouts by an associate.

READ MORE: Fugitive gunman Dezi Freeman shot dead by police after seven months on the run

Thologolong property where Dezi Freeman was killed.

Last month, police led a thorough five-day search for Freeman's body in dense bushland across dense bushland in Mt Buffalo National Park based on the "strong" belief the cop killer was deceased.

Rumours have since swirled that Victoria Police may have announced their search for Freeman's body as a tactic to make him believe their trail had run cold.

But former police negotiator and Macquarie University Criminology lecturer Dr Vincent Hurley believes police would not risk undermining public confidence in the investigation.

"They would not have said that if they did not believe at the time that that was a likely outcome," Hurley said.

"Regardless of whether they are police victims or not, when two people have been murdered and police from literally every state in territory in Australia has gone down to assist, they're not going to come out and say something that they don't think at the time is true.

"If it was said intentionally incorrectly, then what message does that send to the public about the police wanting further assistance in the future about any crime?

"In my 30 years in the police force and 22 years has a detective… you would never do that because of the consequences of it is just catastrophic."

READ MORE: 'That's still my father': Dezi Freeman's son slams 'disgusting' comments celebrating cop killer's death

Dezi Freeman search

Freeman may have been surveilled for a week before shooting

Police may have been watching Dezi Freeman for as long as one week before an hours-long standoff led to his shooting death this morning, Hurley believes.

"They would want to know if anyone was helping him and they'd want to know his daily routine," Hurley revealed.

"They would not have gone in at the first sight of him, at all. It would pose too many unacceptable risks.

"It could even be that the police had modelled or done scenarios based on them finding him, not necessarily in a container, but in a house or something like that."

Thologolong property where Dezi Freeman was killed.

Bush revealed Freeman was armed and wrapped in a blanket when he "exited" a shipping container on a rural Thologolong property earlier this morning, hours after police descended on the acreage around 5.30am.

Hurley believes police would have tried to reason with the so-called sovereign citizen to apprehend him alive.

"They would've surrounded [the shipping container] and the negotiator would've said to him that 'you are surrounded, there's no chance of you escaping, we've got a cordon around the area'," Hurley said.

"Then they would've given him the options and they would've tried to negotiate some type of reason with him to give up without a fight, for example.

"Ultimately, they want to get him before the court.

"They want to get him before the court to answer to the crimes, regardless of who the victims are, so it would never have been a case of retribution. Never."

READ MORE: Apple almost went broke – now it's celebrating 50 years

Criminologist Doctor Vincent Hurley

"They would have told him clearly that he was surrounded, that the options are come out, we're not gonna hurt you, we want to get you before the courts. All the usual things to reassure him.

"But given his ideology as a sovereign citizen, he would have a somewhat distorted view of what he thought would be the appropriate outcome.

Less than three weeks ago police informed the public they would not press charges against Freeman's wife Mali and two others after they were interviewed for obstruction of police.

That too was a coincidental development in the timeline of events that led to Freeman's death.

"I don't think, in my view, that they would've had him under surveillance for that long," Hurley said when asked whether police could have outlawed charges in a bid to appeal to Freeman.

"We'll never know, but I speculate it would be more coincidental than anything else."

Fears fugitive may act as example to others

Police are yet to confirm any sightings of Freeman since the Tuesday ambush.

The self-described sovereign citizen's death has come as a relief to many, but Hurley fears his ability to evade capture for more than seven months may spur on others who subscribe to dangerous ideologies.

"The fact that he survived seven months or six months by himself, other people like-minded to the sovereign citizen or preppers purpose, they'll be preparing now for longer than seven months," Hurley said.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.