BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Mar 25, CMC -A High Court judge has sentenced an 81-year-old grandfather to 13 years in jail after telling the court that the elderly man had for a decade, deceived his family and the police about the whereabouts of his 12-year-old granddaughter. The Court was told that Rasheeda Bascombe was left for dead […]
All posts by FreeNews
Police issue warning after false claim of “Antiguan national” kidnapped
KINGSTON, Jamaica, Mar 24, CMC – Jamaica police are warning members of the public against making false reports after conducting an “extensive investigation” into an alleged kidnapping that was later found to be a domestic dispute. Investigators from the Specialized Investigation Branch (SIB) said they are also reminding the public of the serious consequences of […]
Drew announces five-continent travel initiative amid public questions
Prime Minister Dr. Terrance Drew has outlined a wide-ranging plan to take citizens of St. Kitts and Nevis to five continents, positioning the initiative as a means of expanding global connections and opportunities. During a recent interview, Dr. Drew said the government intends to organise a series of trips to Africa, North America, South America, […]
Urgent Notice: Premier Brantley Moves Press Conference to Monday, March 30
Charlestown, Nevis (March 25, 2026) — The Office of the Premier has announced a change to the date of the upcoming press conference hosted by Premier Mark Brantley. Originally scheduled for Tuesday, March 31, the event will now take place on Monday, March 30, 2026, at 10:00 a.m. The Office regrets any inconvenience caused by […]
Nevis mourns passing of former First Lady Vernita Amory
Nevis is mourning the passing of former First Lady Mrs. Vernita Amory, the beloved wife of the late Premier Vance Amory, whose life of quiet service and dignity left a lasting mark on the island. Mrs. Amory was widely regarded as a steadfast supporter of her husband throughout his years in public office, while maintaining […]
Stocks rally, oil prices fall after U.S. sends Iran a peace plan
U.S. stocks rose Wednesday and global oil prices fell, as traders and investors were buffeted by constant headlines about the war in Iran.
Savannah Guthrie says family is ‘in agony’ in first interview since her mother’s disappearance
“TODAY” co-host Savannah Guthrie has opened up about the ongoing search for her mother, detailing the “agony” her family is going through more than seven weeks after her disappearance from her home in Arizona
‘My kids’ lives mean nothing’: Mum sobs as ‘callous’ driver jailed
A suspended driver has been jailed for nine years after driving dangerously at double the speed limit before a horror crash that killed two siblings.
Johnson Kokozian, 23, was taking his friends on a joyride in his brand new SUV when he tried to overtake a car at Heckenberg, in south-west Sydney, in 2023.
The suspended driver had crossed the Mercedes-Benz AMG onto the wrong side of the road at double the 50km/h speed limit when he crashed head-on into a car containing two siblings.
LIVE UPDATES: Trump says 'the war is won'; Airstrikes batter Iran
He failed to stop and help Alina Kauffman, 24, and Ernesto Salazar, 15, who were pronounced dead at the scene.
Instead, Kokozian fled the scene and focused on his destruction of the uninsured luxury car, proclaiming that flipping the car meant $300,000 was gone.
"I'm getting locked up for long," he wrote.
Kokozian's conduct during and after the September 1 crash amounted to "an abandonment of moral responsibility", NSW District Court Judge David Arnott said on Wednesday.
He had been more worried about the money he lost by crashing his brand-new car than the well-being of the occupants of the other car, which he walked past as he left the scene.
"His failure to stop and assist can only be described as serious and callous," Arnott said.
"There is no doubt that self-preservation and self-interest were key factors in his decision to flee the scene."
While Kokozian had shown no remorse in the aftermath of the crash, the judge found he now experienced "overwhelming guilt".
Initially charged with manslaughter, he eventually pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death and two counts of failing to assist after a fatal impact.
He was jailed for nine years, with a minimum of six years and six months.
The victim's mother looked upset as the decision was handed down.
Angelina Kauffman has continuously advocated for justice for her two children in the lengthy legal process.
Kauffman was overcome with emotion when she exited the courthouse, wearing a jumper bearing a photo of her children.
READ MORE: Jetstar slashes flights to New Zealand as fuel costs bite
"There is no justice," she said through sobs.
"My kids' lives mean nothing to the court."
She gathered more than 20,000 signatures on a petition requesting that the NSW Parliament consider increasing the maximum penalties for serious road crimes.
A subsequent Law Reform Commission review, which concluded in February, found penalties for serious road crimes were appropriate and higher maximum penalties were unlikely to do more to deter offending.
A new vehicular manslaughter offence should not be introduced because it's unnecessary and could cause confusion, the review determined.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
‘I wish they killed me’: Mother left traumatised after violent home invasion
A mother in Melbourne's north has been left traumatised after she was assaulted during a frightening armed home invasion in which the intruders targeted the wrong address.
Three young offenders, wearing balaclavas, allegedly invaded her Meadow Heights home at 3am on Sunday, gaining access to the property after shooting a bullet through the back glass door and storming inside.
Shortly after, they dragged the 42-year-old mother from bed by her hair before assaulting her.
READ MORE: Inflation eases off for first time in months, but fresh figures offer little reprieve for Aussies
Police say that while it was a targeted attack, the alleged intruders stormed into the wrong house.
The single mother was allegedly kicked, punched and had a gun held to her head.
"They started kicking me on the head and punching me and then dragged me out [of bed] from my hair," the woman told 9News.
"[They pulled] my hair, dragging me all the way out to the lounge room."
"I wish they killed me that night, so I wasn't this traumatised."
The woman said she is too scared to stay in her own home, and insurance will not cover emergency accommodation.
The intruders also allegedly threatened and assaulted her 27-year-old roommate.
READ MORE: Thousands of ABC staff walk off the job in 20-year first as BBC replaces shows
"He pistol-whipped me on the top of the head, and I split my head," the roommate told 9News.
"Then I slammed my door shut, and then after I came back out, they bolted."
The group remain at large after allegedly fleeing in a dark four-wheel drive when they were noticed by a neighbour.
"It's extremely disturbing," Detective Senior Sergeant Simon Pengelly said.
"(We are) treating it as a most priority investigation at the moment. Investigations of this nature are brutal."
Police are still determining who was the intended target of the attack.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Hours of daily free power to be offered to 2.6 million Aussie households
Victorians will be offered three hours of free electricity during the day from October under a state government plan to reduce household energy bills.
The scheme aims to save the average family up to $300 per year on electricity by allowing free daytime power, seven days per week, outside of peak evening or morning periods.
Solar panel and battery owners are expected to save more than $1000.
LIVE UPDATES: Iranian 'news' outlet gloats over fuel shortages in Australia
CRIME: Two more arrested over alleged kidnapping and murder of Sydney grandfather
The government said around 2.6 million households will be eligible for the plan, which requires opt-in via energy providers.
It will mean zero extra costs for running the washing machine or dishwasher during the day.
Retailers will be required to offer a discounted tariff to households during the day.
The daily free power scheme will kick in from October 1, with the times of the free electricity to be announced in May.
The offer forms part of the Victorian government's push for residents to work from home more regularly.
"It's another reason why working from home can save you time and money," Premier Jacinta Allan said.
Energy providers previously called on the state government for more time to prepare for the scheme, which retailers argued could result in higher costs outside of the free period.
The plan has also been criticised for unfairly benefiting households who could afford to install solar panels or batteries.
NATIONAL: 'Simply cannot keep going': Entire industry facing extinction amid fuel crisis
Around 850,000 Victorians use solar power for cheap or free power during daytime hours.
More rules are coming into effect on July 1 in Victoria which could put downward pressure on energy bills.
From July, energy retailers must make sure customers who have been on the same plan for more than four years are paying a "reasonable price".
If not, the provider must move them to a cheaper plan.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here