Category Archives: headline

CCTV images released of man after alleged assault of Sydney nurse

Police have released CCTV images of a man they wish to speak with after a nurse was allegedly assaulted at a medical centre in Sydney's Inner West.

The alleged assault happened last month at around 11.45am on August 27 in Glebe.

Emergency services were called to the medical centre on Glebe Point Road where officers were told a 37-year-old female nurse had allegedly been attacked by an unknown man outside the building.

READ MORE: Police scrap double demerit points for long weekend

Police have released CCTV images and are appealing for public assistance after a nurse was allegedly assaulted at a medical centre in Sydney's Inner West last month.

Despite a search of the surrounding area, police were unable to find the man.

The CCTV images have been released by police with the hope that they will help identify the alleged attacker.

He has been described as a Caucasian man in his 40s with a thin frame, dark hair, and a greying beard.

New South Wales Police released CCTV images of a nurse being allegedly assaulted at a medical centre in Glebe.

READ MORE: Cancelling Christmas travel 'a step backwards'

The CCTV images show the man wearing a black cap and a red bandana around his neck.

He was also wearing a black t-shirt, dark blue tracksuit pants with a white stripe down the sides, fingerless gloves and runners.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or believes they know the identity of the man is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report online.

Amazon Australia on hiring spree as Christmas rush looms

E-commerce giant Amazon Australia is the latest local employer to announce a rush of new hires for Christmas casual work as the nation's businesses prepare for festive shopping.

The online retailer said it plans to hire more than 1000 seasonal workers to help with the deluge of pick, pack and ship orders expected over the summer months.

Of these, around 400 will be in Sydney, around 600 will be in Melbourne and around 100 roles are on offer in Brisbane.

EXPLAINED: NSW releases complete COVID-19 roadmap

Craig Fuller, director of operations at Amazon Australia, said the business was proud to be offering jobs at a time when so many are seeking work.

"We are pleased to offer job opportunities across the country at a time when they are needed most," Mr Fuller said.

"There are opportunities for motivated, enthusiastic people from all backgrounds and we look forward to welcoming them to our sites around Australia as we head into the holiday period."

READ MORE: Cancelling Christmas travel is 'a step backwards'

Amazon currently staffs five fulfilment centres in the country and 12 logistics sites, spread across Sydney, Newcastle, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

The US giant joins a wealth of other employers looking to bolster their workforce for the Christmas rush.

A week ago, electronics retailer JB Hi-Fi announced it was recruiting around 1500 casuals, while Coles announced it was offering more than 7000 positions across all of its divisions.

Woolworths currently has 1000 vacant positions while Big W is seeking more than 3500.

READ MORE: Chinese business tycoon blowing the whistle on Beijing's secrets

Drink retailers Dan Murphy's and BWS, both part of the Endeavour Group, are looking to hire more than 4400 team members to cope with summer demand.

The majority of the roles will be casual with a minimum of 20 hours per week, and hundreds are offering immediate starts.

It's not just retailers who are anticipating a rush of online orders for Christmas – Australia Post is too.

The national postal carrier said it is offering nearly 5000 roles to help manage what is forecast to be the biggest online shopping Christmas in history.

READ MORE: Why NSW will scrap double demerits

"At the moment, every day feels like Christmas at Australia Post and we're on the lookout for people to join us and help deliver and process record volumes across the country," Australia Post's executive general manager of people and culture Sue Davies said.

"We're proud of the outstanding efforts of our people working hard across the country who keeping delivering and supporting communities through challenging circumstances, and we're so pleased to be able to welcome more into this fantastic Australia Post team."

Australia Post is currently delivering more than two million parcels every day.

Cyclist uses GPS to recreate Nirvana cover in Adelaide

An enthusiastic cyclist has drawn the iconic Nirvana baby album cover using GPS, to mark the band's 30th anniversary.

Taking to the streets of Adelaide using the Strava cycling app, Pete Stokes rode just over 150km to outline the famous Nevermind cover.

He drew the baby's face over the CBD and the banknote over the leafy eastern suburbs of Burnside. He even rode all of the way to Campbelltown to create the string holding the floating cash.

READ MORE: This country claims it hasn't had a single COVID-19 case. Activists say it's a lie

Mr Stokes rode for more than eight hours to to complete the drawing.

He said he the album was released while he was in high school and he began enjoying the grunge music scene with his friends.

"When it came out it was such a cracker of an album and it still is to this day. I was listening to it on the ride, every track brought back so many great memories."

READ MORE: Is it COVID-19 or hayfever? What your springtime symptoms mean

Mr Stokes lives in the Adelaide hills and rides to work most days.

"Every now and again I will bang out a few designs, smaller ones are 30 to 40 kilometres long, I haven't got over 200 kilometres yet," he told 9News.com.au.

He said his favourite one so far was his drawing of Beethoven, which he did to mark the 205th anniversary of the great composer's birthday.

EXPLAINED: NSW's three-stage roadmap to freedom | What you can and can't do

Mr Stokes also enjoys drawing animals, dinosaurs and dragons. He plans to do more portraits in the future.

As for the his technique, he says it's "pretty straight forward".

"I get the images, drop it on a map and trace over it. I try and make it fit roads as best I can and then I go and ride it," he said.

READ MORE: NSW home quarantine trial – What you need to know

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMfx0vHjmlQ/

Germany's Social Democratic Party wins most seats, early polls show

Germany's left-leaning Social Democratic Party (SPD) has won the most seats in Germany's federal election, preliminary results show.

The SPD claimed a narrow victory over the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), the centrist-right, conservative party of Chancellor Angela Merkel, according to the "Federal Returning Officer" (Der Bundeswahlleiter) responsible for overseeing Federal elections.

However, her successor won't be decided until a coalition deal is negotiated.

READ MORE: NSW Police scrap double demerit points

Franziska Giffey, left, top candidate of the Berlin SPD for the office of Governing Mayor, and Raed Saleh, co-party leader of the Berlin SPD take the stage at the election party of the Berlin SPD in Kreuzberg, Berlin on Sunday.

The Federal Returning Officer website said the SPD won 25.7 per cent of the vote, followed by the CDU/CSU bloc which garnered 24.1 per cent, and the Green Party with 14.8 per cent of votes, after a count of all 299 of Germany's "constituencies" or electoral districts.

The final official results are expected to take weeks longer.

During this time the SPD will begin coalition negotiations to form the new government.

Ms Merkel will step down after 16 years in the top job when a clear successor has emerged.

Chancellor Merkel has been a symbol of stability in Europe since she took on the role in 2005.

Ms Merkel has provided a steady hand domestically and abroad, but Germans must now decide on her successor.

READ MORE: Top doctor says cancelling Christmas travel is 'a step backwards'

The chemist-turned-political mainstay has withstood a wave of populism, a financial crisis, a pandemic and Brexit to carve out an impressive legacy as the world's most successful female leader.

The SPD will now begin negotiations to form the new government, a process that could take weeks or even months.

After Ms Merkel's election win in September 2017, it took more than five months for a government to be formed.

Though the preliminary count gives the SPD a small lead over its closest rivals, the results mark a significant improvement for the party that took 20.5 per cent of the vote in the last election in 2017.

Olaf Scholz, Finance Minister and SPD candidate for Chancellor, leaves after attending a TV broadcast on the parliamentary elections in Berlin on Sunday.

READ MORE: Angela Merkel pecked by Australian lorikeets on the campaign trail in Germany

As votes were counted, party leader Olaf Scholz called the outcome a "great success."

"Many citizens have put their crosses next to the SPD because they want there to be a change in government and also because they want the next chancellor of this country to be called Olaf Scholz".

The 63-year-old politician has served as the vice-chancellor and German finance minister in Ms Merkel's grand coalition government since 2018, earning him increased visibility as he navigated Germany's economic response to the pandemic.

Olaf Scholz addressed his supporters after German parliament election at the Social Democratic Party, SPD, headquarters in Berlin on Sunday.

READ MORE: German election marks the end of an era for the 'most powerful woman in the world'

"Now we will await the final result, but then we will get to work. Thank you!" Mr Scholz said.

Loud applause and cheering from jubilant party supporters interrupted him as he spoke.

Robin Fugmann, 20, an ardent supporter of Mr Scholz, told CNN he was delighted by the results.

"It is really an amazing result, people believe in Olaf Scholz, people believe that Armin Laschet really cannot lead this country," he said.

"So we really have the mandate to lead a new government — I hope we will do so. And first of all we are going to celebrate because this is a really amazing result."

Rome faces invasion of wild boars

Rome has been invaded by Gauls, Visigoths and vandals over the centuries, but the Eternal City is now grappling with a rampaging force of an entirely different sort: rubbish-seeking wild boars.

Entire families of wild boars have become a daily sight in Rome, as groups of 10 to 30 beasts young and old emerge from the vast parks surrounding the Italian city to trot down traffic-clogged streets in search of food in Rome's notoriously overflowing rubbish bins.

Posting wild boar videos on social media has become something of a sport as exasperated Romans capture the scavengers marching past their stores, strollers or playgrounds.

READ MORE: Why NSW will scrap double demerits

As Rome gears up for a local election next weekend, the wild boar invasion has been used as a political weapon to attack Mayor Virginia Raggi over the city's formidable garbage collection problems. But experts say the issue is more complicated and tied at least in part to a booming boar population.

Italy's main agriculture lobby, Coldiretti, estimates there are more than two million wild boars in Italy. The region of Lazio surrounding Rome estimates there are 5000 to 6000 of them in city parks, a few hundred of which regularly abandon the trees and green for urban asphalt and trash bins.

To combat their growing numbers, Lazio launched a program in 2019 to capture the beasts in park cages for slaughter, and last month approved a new decree to allow selective hunting of boars in some parks, which until now had been strictly forbidden.

Maurizio Giubbiotti, in charge of Lazio's parks, says the region needs to increase the boar cull from 700 over two years to at least 1000 annually to get the situation under control.

READ MORE: Top doctor says cancelling Christmas travel is 'a step backwards'

In Italy's rural areas, hunting wild boar is a popular sport and most Italians can offer a long list of their favourite wild boar dishes, including pappardelle pasta with boar sauce and wild boar stew. But animal rights groups have been adamantly opposed to mass culling.

Those beliefs are not shared by some urban residents.

"I am afraid of walking on the sidewalk, because on one side there are the dumpsters for the rubbish and they (the boars) jump on me," said Grazia, a 79-year-old grandmother waiting outside a school to pick up her grandchildren. She did not give her last name.

Just down the street, a family of wild boars was snorting through the trash.

Her concerns are not misplaced: Wild boars can weigh up to 100kg, reach 80cm in height and measure 1.5m long, a not-insignificant threat especially to the elderly and young children.

READ MORE: Chinese business tycoon blowing the whistle on Beijing's secrets

"We have been invaded here," lamented Pino Consolati, who runs a restaurant on a busy street corner in Rome's Monte Mario neighbourhood. He said families of wild boars routinely wander through his outdoor eating area looking for food. One day this week, he said, his sister found 30 boars outside her shoe store when she left at 8pm.

"It is not a pleasant situation," he said, shrugging his shoulders.