Category Archives: headline

Volcano erupts on Spanish island hours after evacuation begins

A volcano on Spain's Atlantic Ocean island of La Palma has erupted after a week-long build-up of seismic activity, prompting authorities to speed up evacuations for some 1000 people.

The Canary Islands Volcanology Institute reported the eruption on Cumbre Vieja, which last erupted in 1971, just before 3.30pm on Sunday (12.30am on Monday AEST).

Huge plumes of black-and-white smoke shot out from a point in the volcanic ridge where scientists had been closely following the accumulation of molten lava below the surface. Tinges of red could be seen at the bottom of the black jets that shot rocks into the air.

READ MORE: French would have known about Australia's 'deep and grave' submarine concerns, PM says

https://twitter.com/involcan/status/1439596728483725316

Huge plumes of black-and-white smoke shot out from a point in the volcanic ridge where scientists had been closely following the accumulation of molten lava below the surface. Tinges of red could be seen at the bottom of the black jets that shot rocks into the air.

La Palma, with a population of 85,000, is one of eight islands in Spain's Canary Islands archipelago. At their nearest point to Africa, they are 100km from Morocco.

After days of what scientists call "an earthquake swarm," authorities on La Palma had already started to evacuate residents with reduced mobility on Sunday shortly before the ground broke open.

While government experts had earlier in the day said an eruption was not imminent, there was an intensification of earthquakes near the surface of the island, which belongs to the Canary Islands archipelago.

Authorities ordered the evacuation of residents with reduced mobility from villages near the centre of the seismic activity as a preventative measure. Some will be taken in at a military outpost on the island.

A 3.8-magnitude quake was recorded Sunday as vibrations from the seismic activity were felt on the surface.

The Scientific Committee of the Volcano Risk Prevention Plan said that stronger earthquakes "are likely to be felt and may cause damage to buildings."

The committee of scientific experts also singled out a stretch of the island's south-west coast for the risk of rockfalls.

READ MORE: Christian Porter resigns as cabinet minister

https://twitter.com/involcan/status/1439599283733413888

Emergency services had been ordered to be prepared to evacuate about 1,000 people if necessary, authorities said.

La Palma has been on alert this week after geologists reported an accumulation of molten rock under Cumbre Vieja.

Before a volcano erupts, there is a gradual increase in seismic activity that can build up over a prolonged period.

The area near the southern tip of the island is sparsely populated. Residents of the five nearby villages had already been told to be on alert and ready to leave their homes in case of an eruption.

A magnitude 3.8 quake was recorded before the eruption as vibrations from the seismic activity were felt on the surface.

Christian Porter resigns as cabinet minister

Christian Porter has resigned from his cabinet post as Minister for Industry, Science and Technology.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison told a media conference this afternoon Mr Porter tendered his resignation to him, which was accepted.

Mr Morrison said Mr Porter resigned because he was unable to share further information regarding who paid for his legal bill in a defamation trial against the ABC.

READ MORE: Blind trust paid part of former Attorney-General Christian Porter's legal bills in ABC case

Attorney-General Christian Porter has denied a rape accusation made against him.

"The inability for him to be able to practically provide further information because of the nature of those arrangements, if he were able to do that, that would allow Mr Porter to conclusively rule out a perceived conflict," Mr Morrison said.

"And as a result of him acknowledging that, he has this afternoon taken the appropriate course of action to uphold those standards by tendering his resignation as a minister this afternoon, and I have accepted his resignation."

Five days ago Mr Porter updated his parliamentary register of interests, declaring that his legal bill was paid by "a blind trust known as the Legal Services Trust".

Mr Porter did not reveal how much the blind trust had contributed, and said he had no access to the information of who funded the trust.

A spokesperson for Mr Porter said taxpayers funds were not used.

Mr Morrison thanked Mr Porter for his service as a cabinet minister and as the former Attorney General.

READ MORE: Prime Minister Scott Morrison to travel to the US next week

"I want to thank Minister Porter to his service in my government, I want to thank him for his service as the Minister for industry, science and technology, and I want to thank him for his role as Attorney General for several years, not only under my government but under my predecessor," Mr Morrison said said.

"I want to thank him for the role that he performed as Leader of Government Business in the House of Representatives also.

"Minister Porter will be returning to the back bench where he will continue to serve as the member for Pearce. But I thank him for his service in our government to the people of Australia."

Angus Taylor has been appointed the acting Minister Science and Technology, performing those responsibilities together with his responsibilities for the Minister of energy and emissions reduction.

https://twitter.com/Fi_Willan/status/1439473513664942082?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

In a three-page statement released this afternoon, Mr Porter thanked Mr Morrison and cabinet colleagues for their strong support.

He also used his statement to criticise the ABC before addressing the legal bill dispute and the toll the allegations against him have had on his family.

"Facing a false allegation is an experience that places your family, friends and staff under enormous and cruel pressure. It has resulted in constant abuse and ongoing threats," he wrote.

Mr Porter said he understood the questions raised in the media about the financial arrangements to help fund the now settled litigation.

"I consider that I have provided the information required under the Members' Register of Interests. I also considered that the additional disclosures I provided under the Ministerial Standards were in accordance with its additional requirements," he said.

https://twitter.com/Fi_Willan/status/1439474950306287618?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"However, after discussing the matter with the Prime Minister I accept that any uncertainty on this point provides a very unhelpful distraction for the Government in its work."

"Ultimately, I decided that if I have to make a choice between seeking to pressure the Trust to break individuals' confidentiality in order to remain in Cabinet, or alternatively forego my Cabinet position, there is only one choice I could, in all conscience, make. Consequently, I provided the Prime Minister with my resignation earlier today. It is effective immediately."

ACT records 17 new COVID-19 cases, six remain under investigation

The Australian Capital Territory has recorded 17 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19, with six of the new cases still under investigation.

Of the new cases 11 are linked to known cases, with 12 in the community for part of their infectious period. Five of the cases were in quarantine during their infectious period.

ACT Health said more than 800 people have self-identified as close contacts of outbreaks across the region.

The region has been in a strict lockdown since early August. Last week, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed the lockdown is set to end on October 15.

READ MORE: New South Wales records 1083 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths

https://twitter.com/ACTHealth/status/1439415303989915649?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ACT Health has this afternoon released a list of exposure sites across 14 suburbs, including construction sites, supermarkets and restaurants.

Three of the 14 suburbs – Conder, Dickson and Gungahlin – are considered casual contact locations.

"We only consider you as a close, casual or monitor for symptoms contact if you've been to an exposure location at the specific dates and times listed," ACT Health said in a tweet.

"If you were at the location at any other time or date, then we don't consider you as a contact."

Eleven other suburbs have been listed as areas of concern where any COVID-19 symptoms should be monitored.

These suburbs are: Banks, Belconnen, Braddon, Canberra City, Casey, Conder, Fyshwick, Holt, Philip, Wanniassa and Watson.

ACT's active COVID-19 cases stand at 242, with eight people in hospital with the virus.

Two people are in intensive care, with one individual requiring ventilation.

ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said efforts are being made to vaccinate 12- to 15-year-olds.

"There are about 25,000 young people in this age group in the ACT," Ms Stephen-Smith told a media conference today.

"While this is a relatively small cohort, we know it is particularly important that we continue our vaccination program to ensure that young people in our community can be vaccinated."

The ACT has reached 82 per cent first dose vaccination with 56.8 per cent having received their second COVID-19 jab.

Victoria's road map to freedom revealed

The Premier has said there "will be no turning back" while revealing the plan for Victoria to gradually 'open up' following more than 230 days of lockdown.

Daniel Andrews said he was announcing an "aspirational but realistic" plan to get the state open.

"It will be done in a staggered and measured and proportionate, cautious way, but we are opening up. Be in no doubt about that. There will be no turning back."

Mr Andrews said if the state opened up now, with just 45 per cent of people double-dosed, then we would have "a catastrophic number of people who would be very, very ill, and many, many thousands of people would be in intensive care".

READ MORE: NSW records 1083 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths as LGAs of concern given more freedoms

He said the roadmap would constantly be revised for the impact on the state's healthcare system.

"As we deliver this roadmap, we will monitor every hour of every day. How many people are in hospital? How much pressure is there on our health system? Are with balancing that?"

The Premier said if the state were to reach a vaccination rate of 80 per cent double dosed by Melbourne Cup Day, there's potential for a grandstand crowd at Flemington.

Melbourne Cup is traditionally held on the first Tuesday in November, this year scheduled for November 2nd.

"If we deliver it by Cup Day, or it's really clear that we're going to, then we'll have options to have a crowd," he said.

"I can't say how big a crowd, but it's a great goal. It'd be a great signal to the world, signal to the rest of the country that Victoria is open."

September 26

Once Victoria reaches 80 per cent of the eligible population having had their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, which is expected to be about 26 September, Melburnians will be able to do outdoor recreational activities like play golf and cricket.

However, the same limits on households and numbers will continue to apply with picnics.

At the same milestone, in regional Victoria, masks will be able to removed for hair and beauty services.

October

From about 5 October, VCE students in Melbourne will return to classrooms.

From 18 October, prep students in Melbourne will return to school three days a week while grade 1 and 2 students will return two days a week.

https://twitter.com/danielandrewsmp/status/1439418426850570244?s=21

October 26

Mr Andrews said when 70 per cent of the eligible population had had their second dose, which is expected to be 26 October, lockdown would end.

"Reasons to leave the home and the curfew will no longer be in place. So lockdown will be off."

However, only ten fully-vaccinated people will be able to gather outdoors.

Pubs, clubs and entertainment venues will be able to open to 50 fully vaccinated people – but only for outdoor use.

Weddings and funerals will be open for 50 fully vaccinated people again outdoors.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 18: A deserted Elizabeth Street tram stop near Flinders Street station on September 18, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. Anti-lockdown protests have been planned in Melbourne despite current COVID-19 restrictions prohibiting large outdoor gatherings. Victoria police are shutting down the public transport network in the CBD in a bid to discourage protestors. Metropolitan Melbourne is currently subject to lockdown restrictions as health authorities work to contain the

In terms of schools and education, all school students will return to onsite learning at least part of that learning week.

Hairdressing and personal care will be able to open for up to five fully-vaccinated people.

For regional Victoria, from about 26 October social and recreational, community sport returns indoors, but with number limits.

Pubs, clubs and entertainment venues will be able to open for 30 fully-vaccinated patrons indoors.

All school students will return to onsite learning for at least part of the week.

For faith gatherings, funerals and weddings, they will be allowed to have up to 30 people indoors and 100 people outdoors.

November 5

Mr Andrews said when the state was expected to reach 80 per cent of the eligible population fully vaccinated, at about 5 November, Melbourne and regional Victoria would be put on the same restrictions:

  • Up to 10 people, including dependents, will be allowed to visit homes
  • Up to 150 fully vaccinated people will be able to dine indoors and up to 30 can gather in public outside
  • Indoor community sport will be open with restrictions
  • Masks will only be required inside
  • Pubs, restaurants and cafes will be open for seated service only up to 150 fully-vaccinated patrons inside and up to 500 patrons outside
  • Workers will be directed to work from home if they can, but will be able to go to work if fully vaccinated.
  • Hairdressing, beauty, personal care will be open for fully-vaccinated people
  • All retail will be open
  • Early childhood education and childcare will be open fully all students return to school with additional safety measures in place

Mr Andrews said he was aiming to allow 30 visitors to homes for Christmas.

Daniel Andrews has refused to indicate when travel to NSW will be likely to be permitted.

He said international travel would probably be open by 2022.

"I don't know whether we'll have international travel by the end of the year, I think that's the aim and probably will happen but I don't know it as a certainty."

Mr Andrews said the government had released the full Burnett Institute modelling on the Victorian outbreak, which predicted what would happen without restricting.

READ MORE: Victorian health authorities to reveal roadmap out of lockdown tomorrow

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1439357283813658626?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"It models out and projects that on or about 15th December cases will peak at about 4,500.

Toward the end of does, admissions to hospital will peak at about 3,150.

In January, deaths due to COVID-19 and the Delta variant will peak at around 2,200."

The announcements come after the state recorded 507 new local COVID-19 cases and another death in the last day.

More than 58,000 tests were conducted across the state on top of 43,000 vaccines administered.

There are 5262 cases of COVID-19 across the state, with 204 people in hospital, including 55 in intensive care.

Three new LGAs to return to lockdown

Health Minister Martin Foley has announced three LGAs in regional Victoria are set to go into a seven-day lockdown from 11.59pm tonight: Greater Geelong, Surf Coast Shire and Mitchell Shire.

"The rules in these three LGAs will be the same as they are in Melbourne and Ballarat at the moment, minus the curfew," he said.

The authorised worker system will be back in place for these LGAs.

Border changes

Victorians in 66 NSW LGAs will be able to apply to return home from 11.59pm tonight when the areas are downgraded from extreme risk zones to risk zones.

"That means that Victorian residents have an entitlement to apply for a red zone permit to return to Victoria. They will have to quarantine at home for 14 days and got tested at regular intervals through that 14-day period," CHO Brett Sutton said.

READ MORE: 'Angry young men': 235 arrested and 10 police officers injured in Melbourne anti-lockdown protests

The roadmap and restriction changes come a day after violent protests erupted on the streets of inner city Melbourne, after some 700 people descended on Richmond and clashed with police.

So far, a total of 235 people arrested and more than $1 million in fines have been issued.

Yesterday, the state recorded 535 new local cases and another death.