Category Archives: headline

Record Number of Environmental Activists Murdered

By Claire Marshall
BBC Environment & Rural Affairs Correspondent

A record number of activists working to protect the environment and land rights were murdered last year, according to a report by a campaign group.

227 people were killed around the world in 2020, the highest number recorded for a second consecutive year, the report from Global Witness said.

Almost a third of the murders were reportedly linked to resource exploitation – logging, mining, large-scale agribusiness, hydroelectric dams and other infrastructure.

The report called the victims “environmental defenders” killed for protecting natural resources that need to be preserved, including forests, water supplies and oceans.

Since the Paris Agreement on climate change was signed in 2015, the organisation says on average four activists have been killed each week.

It said this “shocking figure” was likely to be an underestimate because of growing restrictions on journalists and other civic freedoms.

Illegal mining site in Brazil
Mining is one of the industries linked to violence against people trying to protect their land

Logging was the industry linked to the most murders with 23 cases – with attacks in Brazil, Nicaragua, Peru and the Philippines.

Indigenous peoples, most often on the frontline of climate change, accounted for a further one third of cases. Colombia had the highest recorded attacks, with 65 people killed last year.

‘Unbearably heavy burden’

A senior campaigner for Global Witness, Chris Madden, called on governments to “get serious about protecting defenders.” He said companies must start “putting people and planet before profit’ or he warned that “both climate breakdown and the killings” would continue.

“This dataset is another stark reminder that fighting the climate crisis carries an unbearably heavy burden for some, who risk their lives to save the forests, rivers and biospheres that are essential to counteract unsustainable global warming. This must stop”.

An aerial view of a deforested plot of the Amazon at the Bom Futuro National Forest in Porto Velho, Rondonia State, Brazil, September 3, 2015image source, Reuters

The organisation called on governments to formally recognise the human right to a safe, healthy and sustainable environment, and ensure commitments made at November’s UN climate change conference, COP26, integrate human rights protections.

In response, COP26 president Alok Sharma told the BBC he had “prioritised meeting people on the front line of climate change,” to ensure the voices of all are heard.”

‘Shot dead in her living room’

Those murdered included South African Fikile Ntshangase, 65, who was involved in a legal dispute over the extension of an opencast mine operated by Tendele Coal near Somkhele in KwaZulu-Natal province. She was shot dead in her own living room.

Malungelo Xhakaza
image source THOM PIERCE- Malungelo Xhakaza, daughter of murdered human rights activist Fikile Ntshangase who was “a leading force in the campaign against the Tendele coal mine”

Her daughter, Malungelo Xhakaza, 31, said her “mother’s struggle lives on.” She said: “To this day no arrests have been made in the investigation into my mother’s murder. There has been no accountability. It seems to me that someone wants this mine expansion and the extraction to go ahead, no matter the cost.”

Petmin Limited, which owns the Somkhele mine through its subsidiary Tendele Coal Mining, told Global Witness that it “acknowledges community tensions may have been a factor in Fikile’s death.” The company said it “strongly condemns any form of violence or intimidation” and has offered full co-operation with the police.

Óscar Eyraud Adams
Óscar Eyraud was killed in his home in Mexico in 2020

The killings also included Óscar Eyraud Adams, who was murdered in Mexico in September 2020. He was working to help the indigenous Kumiai community in Baja California have better access to water.

Global Witness said activists still under threat included communities in Guapinol in Honduras, where dozens of people have been protesting against an iron oxide mining concession that was granted by the central government in a protected area. Campaigners believe the Guapinol river, a vital water source, is threatened. The organisation says “many community members remain incarcerated.”

The post Record Number of Environmental Activists Murdered appeared first on The St Kitts Nevis Observer.

More Melburnians defying lockdown rules, data suggests

The number of Melburnians defying lockdown restrictions is much higher than it was during lockdown last year, exclusive Google mobility data obtained by 9News has revealed.

Tracking data from Google has indicated non-essential shopping and recreation in Melton is only 21 per cent less than what it was pre-pandemic.

During the state's second wave of the virus last year that figure was down 40 per cent.

READ MORE: Construction compliance blitz after Victoria records 473 COVID-19 cases

On the other side of Melbourne in Casey, non-essential shopping and recreation is just 27 per cent below normal levels.

Cardinia, where the rate is down 28 per cent, Hume, where it's down 29 per cent, and Whittlesea, where it's down 29 per cent, make up the rest of the top five LGAs where compliance with the CHO's stay-at-home orders is lowest.

However, compliance is still similar to last year in the City of Melbourne, where non-essential shopping and recreation is 79 per cent lower than normal.

Similarly, Stonnington is down 61 per cent and Yarra has dropped 59 per cent.

The data also shows far more people from Melbourne's outer suburbs are heading into work than they were during lockdown in 2020.

READ MORE: NSW restrictions ease from today as vaccine rollout targets children

Workplace attendance in Cardinia is only down 17 per cent on normal times, compared to last year it dipped by more than double that – minus 38 percent.

Casey is down 23 percent, whereas it was minus 40 per cent last year.

Simon Kuestenmacher, co-founder of The Demographics Group, said while the rates of compliance varied across Melbourne, they were still down right across the city.

"Every corner of the city saw lower compliance rates in '21 compared to '20," he said.

"In those local government areas people tend to live in big family clusters. It's quite likely they're willing to forget a rule or two in order to see family."

The demographer said he believed the heavy restrictions imposed during the state's sixth lockdown may have actually contributed to the plunge in compliance.

"I do think the heavy-handed restrictions actually backfired," he said.

"People just got more afraid of the cure – the lockdowns – than the pandemic itself."

Kim Paynter from Cranbourne told 9News he had noticed fewer people were staying home, but said he understood people's frustration with lockdown.

"It's going too long," he said.

"It's just ridiculous – all the other states are getting open but we're not."

NSW hairdressers say it's 'not worth them opening'

Hairdressers and beauty salon operators are calling on the NSW Government to scrap a client limit to be imposed under the state's roadmap to freedom.

According to the guidelines announced by NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian last week, hairdressers and beauty salons will join pubs, gyms and retail shops in being able to open up to the fully vaccinated in mid-October.

All venues will need to abide by a one person per four square metre rule. In addition to the restriction, hair and beauty salons have been told they can only see five clients at a time.

READ MORE: Everything you need to know about ending lockdown

The Bridal Bar owner Amy Campbell has started an online petition calling for salon client limits to be scrapped.

But hairdressers say the client limit is impractical for larger salons and means they will actually lose money when they finally emerge from an already financially devastating lockdown.

An online petition started by Amy Campbell, who owns The Bridal Bar in Sydney's south – protesting the five-client limit – has already attracted more than 12,000 signatures.

It comes as Health Minister Brad Hazzard said he sympathised with the difficulty the client limit presented for larger salons and indicated the rule could be relaxed in future.

READ MORE: By state and territory, how quickly Australia is vaccinating

Ms Campbell said the client limit did not make any sense and could be compared to a 30-minute time limit the government tried to impose on haircuts last year, which was ultimately scrapped.

"It shows that the person making these rules isn't in the industry or talking to anyone in the industry because a five-client limit is not really possible for most salons," she said.

"It wouldn't be worth us opening up."

The Bridal Bar is both a hair and beauty salon and, at 400 square metres, has several rooms which can be closed off.

Ayden Hawkins-Keen and Kaine Vakai, from Kaine Vakai Hair Artistry, say the planned client limit of five is not sustainable.

"If you were going by the four square metre rule, I could technically have 100 bodies on my property and be fine," Ms Campbell said.

"We don't want 100 bodies but we want to be able to have at least 20 clients at a time to be able to function."

Under the five-client limit, the majority of Ms Campbell's 14 staff members would remain without work, she said.

Ms Campbell said the client limit appeared to be out of step when compared to the rules for gyms, which cap classes at 20 members.

"Why are we being discriminated against just because of the industry we're in?" she said.

"This is extremely unfair when gyms are allowed 20 per class and we believe hair and beauty should be treated the same."

Ayden Hawkins-Keen, who co-owns the Sutherland salon Kaine Vakai Hair Artistry with his partner Kaine, said he and other business owners were happy to abide by a one person per four metre square rule.

However, a five-client limit would be financially crippling, he said.

"It costs us at least $20,000 to keep our salon afloat each week. There is no way we are going to be able to sustain things with the money we would be making," he said.

"We would be better off staying locked down.

"We have 11 staff members and obviously can't bring back all of them back under those rules so they're the ones that are going to suffer, as well the business."

Ayden Hawkins-Keen and Kaine Vakai, from Kaine Vakai Hair Artistry, say the planned client limit of five is not sustainable.

When asked about the client limit rules for salons at yesterday's NSW COVID-19 press conference, Mr Hazzard acknowledged the difficulties of trying to make rules which fit across whole industries.

"The requirements that have been put in place at the moment are broad scale … to give people a sense of where we're going," Mr Hazzard said.

"The limit of five in a hairdressers, some of them are very large premises, and it may well be that we can, as we move forward and get more people vaccinated, actually make that a much more flexible arrangement.

"I'm very sympathetic to that. I'd like to be able to convince our chief health officer and other senior epidemiologists that that's where we can get to."

However, Mr Hazzard pointed to the outbreak at the Joh Bailey hair salon in Sydney's eastern suburbs earlier this year, which saw almost 1000 people out in isolation, as an example of why health authorities needed to cautious.

"A lot of cases came out of that, a lot of cases, so we do need to actually be conscious of that, but also we need to get back to normality as quickly as we can," he said.

Contact reporter Emily McPherson at em********@******om.au.

Beloved stolen cockatoo returned

A beloved cockatoo stolen from a hardware store in regional Victoria on Saturday night has been mysteriously returned to his owners.

'Jacko' the cockatoo was stolen from his cage at Drysdale Home Timber and Hardware store on Murradoc Road in Drysdale, on the Bellarine Peninsula, just before 9pm on Saturday, September 11.

Police believe an unknown offender climbed the front fence of the hardware centre before raiding the cage.

READ MORE: Construction compliance blitz after Victoria records 473 COVID-19 cases

CCTV then captured the alleged offender running away from the store with Jacko almost tucked under his arm.

Police have released the footage in the hope of identifying the offender.

Jacko's distressed carers were handing out 'Missing cockatoo' pamphlets around Drysdale this morning in hope of finding their cherished pet.

The yellow-crested cockatoo has spent 23 of his 15 years at the store and has become a town celebrity.

Nursery manager Katrina Neocli, who looks after Jacko, said staff from the store had been trying to follow up leads to find Jacko all day.

Then at around 2.15pm an unknown person left Jacko in a box near the store.

Ms Neocli said it was a huge shock to find Jacko inside the box.

"I just couldn't believe it was our little man," she said.

"He just said 'Hello'."

Ms Neocli said everyone was "just ecstatic" to have him home.

Police are yet to determine who stole Jacko.

Anyone with information that could assist with the investigation is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 18000 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

NSW town of Yass going back into lockdown just days after freedom

The Yass Valley Council area in regional NSW is going back into lockdown for two weeks after a positive case of coronavirus was detected.

Stay-at-home orders across much of regional NSW, including Yass Valley, were lifted on Saturday if there had not been a case for 14 days.

NSW Health said today a coronavirus case had been detected in the region and urgent contact tracing is underway.

READ MORE: Premier's warning for unvaccinated NSW residents

"Following updated health advice from the Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant about the growing risk to the community, stay-at-home orders will apply to all people who live in the Yass Valley Council area or have been there on or after Thursday 9 September," a statement said.

"Everyone in these areas must stay at home unless it is for an essential reason."

The reasons residents may leave their home include:

  • Shopping for food or other essential goods and services
  • Medical care or compassionate needs (people can leave home to have a COVID-19 vaccination unless you have been identified as a close contact)
  • If you are fully vaccinated, you can attend an outdoor gathering of up to five people for exercise or outdoor recreation so long as all those at the gathering aged 16 years or over are fully vaccinated
  • Work, or tertiary education, where you cannot work or study from home;
  • To attend a wedding or a funeral. A maximum of 11 people can attend a wedding service. This means a maximum of five guests, the two people being married, the two witnesses, the celebrant or officiant, and one person recording the service. A maximum of 10 people can attend a funeral

Residents in the affected area must wear a face mask in all indoor or outdoor areas, other than a place of residence.

This includes when you are on a street, in a park, at the shops or at work.

There are limited exceptions, such as where you are in a vehicle with members of your household or your nominated visitor in your singles bubble, when exercising, when eating or drinking, and in emergencies.

Yass Valley Council, in the NSW Southern Tablelands region, has a population of around 16,000.