Tag Archives: oceania

Thunderstorm asthma warning as peak risk season begins

Victorians are being urged to be prepared as the state enters the peak risk period for thunderstorm asthma.

Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas said residents who suffer from asthma and hay fever should book in an appointment with their general practitioners to discuss a plan.

"Talk to your GP to make sure you have the medications you need to support both the management and treatment of asthma and hay fever during this time," Thomas said

READ MORE: Two men shot by police after allegedly driving stolen car at officers

Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas has urged Victorians to have a plan in place.

Thunderstorm asthma season runs from October 1 to December 31 each year.

To help assess the risks, residents in the state have access to a forecast system on the VicEmergency app and website.

"This is a three-day rolling forecast of the severity of thunderstorm asthma risk at any given time," Thomas said.

READ MORE: Passengers evacuated as Boeing plane catches fire on runway

"On days of high risk, it's really important that those people who are most at risk stay indoors.

"That's the safest way to make sure that you can decrease the risk of a thunderstorm asthma event."

Forecasts are not a formal warning and are designed to inform people at risk that they should be prepared, according to Victoria Health.

"The forecast only indicates whether the chance of an epidemic thunderstorm asthma event occurring is increased," the health department said.

"A higher forecast does not mean that an event is certain to happen, nor does a lower forecast mean that an event will not happen."

Thomas said the awareness campaign was prompted by the devastating impact of the 2016 thunderstorm asthma event in Victoria, where 10 people lost their lives and "many thousands more experienced significant breathing difficulties".

"We have learnt a lot of lessons since then," Thomas said.

"I want to assure all Victorians that both our ambulance and hospital services are well-placed to respond to any spike in demand that we might see should we have a thunderstorm asthma event here in the state."

FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, celebrity and sport via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.

Tributes flow for dad killed in Perth workplace accident

Thirty-five-year-old Barry Breslin has been remembered as a "gentle soul and a good man" after he was killed in a workplace accident in Perth yesterday.

The fiancé and father of a three-year-old was working at a site on the Mitchell Freeway in Greenwood when he was struck by a concrete grate.

He suffered serious head injuries and was rushed to Royal Perth Hospital, but died a short time later.

READ MORE: Two men shot by police after allegedly driving stolen car at officers

Tributes have flowed in for 35-year-old Barry Breslin after he was killed in a workplace accident in Perth yesterday.

9News understands Breslin was working as a labourer and was injured about mid-day when a concrete grate fell as it was being lifted by an excavator.

Breslin had moved to Perth from Ireland, and it is understood his parents and two brothers still live there.

Messages from friends today flowed online.

"I really can't believe this, one of the nicest young fellas you could ever meet," one friend said.

"Barry was always so lively and friendly and will be missed by all," another wrote.

Another described him as "a gentle soul and a good man."

A Worksafe investigation is underway into the accident.

‘Lock-step’: Police across Australia issue rare joint protest warning

With pro-Palestine rallies and protests scheduled this weekend around the country, police agencies have taken the rare step of coming together to warn participants about illegal behaviour.

The Australian Federal Police, along with all state and territory police, said in a joint statement there would be "no tolerance" for lawbreaking or violence.

"In Australia, there are offences that prohibit behaviour that incites or advocates violence or hatred based on race and religion, including the display of prohibited symbols in public under these circumstances," the statement read.

READ MORE: Medics killed in Lebanon as Israel signals wider assault

Pro-Palestine protests Melbourne

"It is also a serious offence to counsel, promote, encourage, urge, instruct or praise terrorism."

Plans for rallies this weekend and on October 7, the anniversary of Hamas' deadly surprise attack on Israel last year that saw 1200 Israeli people killed and more than 200 kidnapped, have sparked controversy this week.

In NSW, Central Metropolitan Region Commander and Assistant Commissioner Peter McKenna said police will be out on Sunday for public safety reasons.

"If you do see the police, please listen to them, we want to make sure everyone is safe, that is our main concern," he said.

"Certainly if we see there are public safety issues, if people want to commit an offence, we won't tolerate that and we won't hesitate to act."

"We have an agreement with the organisers thus far about what they can and can't do, if they stick to that agreemenet and if the people who come to the protest do it in good faith … then hopefully they'll be able to come in, come out and there'll be no issues."

NSW Police announced yesterday that an October 6 protest would go ahead following an alternate route after securing an agreement with protest organisers that no Hezbollah symbols or flags would be displayed.

READ MORE: Billionaire accused of head-scratching beach theft

The plan for a protest on October 7 has been withdrawn, but a vigil will take place instead.

McKenna said that the action group has the right to public protest and that police would be on site but would not intervene unless it was necessary for public safety.

"NSW Police force is apolitical, we understand that there are heightened emotions at the moment, it's really not our place to say whether that is appropriate or inappropriate – we can only go by what the law tells us."

"The law tells us that in NSW people have a democratic right to hold public assemblies.

"If there's no reason for NSW Police to intervene, then we won't intervene."

Israel's retaliation against the Hamas attack has seen more than 40,000 Gazans killed, according to local health authorities, while almost all residents have been displaced from their homes.

Israel has recently opened up a new front against Hezbollah in Lebanon, with fighting and airstrikes intensifying there.

READ MORE: Newborn twins who died alongside their mother are Helene's youngest victims

A Sunday protest is also expected to ahead in Melbourne, followed by a vigil and procession on Monday.

An Adelaide protest will also go ahead after police said organisers had satisfied all legal requirements.

However, it's expected officers will be out in force at all events.

"Police are lock-step in keeping Australians safe, and continue to work with all Australians, visitors, stakeholders, community leaders and leaders of faith to ensure Australian laws are understood," the statement read.

"Police are planning and preparing for upcoming protests in some states and territories."

FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, celebrity and sport via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.

Road to the White House: New podcast launches ahead of US Election

Scott Jennings is CNN analyst, commentator and was a special assistant to President George W. Bush.

He sat down with Nine News for the inaugural episode of the US election podcast The Road to the White House.

Listen to the latest episode of our podcast The Road To The White House wherever you get your podcasts, or press play below.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-road-to-the-white-house/off-and-racing/embed

Over the course of the US presidential election campaign, 9News reporters, experts and analysts will be joining this series to discuss America's future as voters face with a decision of picking Kamala Harris or Donald Trump to be the next commander-in-chief.

In this episode, Republican stalwart Jennings discusses whether Donald Trump can return to the White House, shape alliances with countries, including Australia, and how America has reached this point in its history.

We talk about the importance of the battleground states, and where this election will be won and lost.

Passengers evacuated as Boeing plane catches fire on runway

More than 180 people were evacuated on Thursday from a Ryanair Boeing passenger jet after it caught fire while taxiing to take off at Brindisi Airport in southern Italy.

The incident comes two days after a tire blowout on another of the airline's Boeing planes during landing led to the temporary closure of Milan Bergamo Airport.

A spokesperson for the airport in Brindisi confirmed there had been a fire that halted air traffic for several hours.

READ MORE: Dad slugged with $25k defamation bill over Facebook post he didn't write

Ryanair, the Irish budget airline group that operates Europe's largest aircraft fleet, said all 184 passengers and crew were safely evacuated on the runway after Thursday's incident. The plane had been bound for the northern Italian city of Turin.

"Flight FR8826 from Brindisi to Turin (3rd Oct) was delayed this morning after cabin crew observed fumes on the outside of the aircraft," the airline said in a statement to CNN.

"Passengers were disembarked without incident and returned to the terminal by bus."

It said that the aircraft was later replaced, and passengers were flown on to their destination.

READ MORE: 'Sitting and waiting to die': Australian teacher stranded in Lebanon

The airport reopened around three hours later, according to the airport's website.

On Tuesday, another Ryanair aircraft – flight FR846 – headed into Milan Bergamo airport from Barcelona had a tire issue upon landing, which briefly closed the destination airport.

"Passengers disembarked normally, and the aircraft was inspected by engineers, who are currently servicing the aircraft so that it can return to service," Ryanair said in a statement to CNN.

List of incidents

This week's events prompted several Italian lawmakers to call for an inquiry into Ryanair's safety record, citing a number of earlier incidents.

Andrea Caroppo and Mauro D'Attis, deputies in Italy's lower chamber of Parliament and part of the Forza Italia party that is a member of Italy's ruling coalition, called for a senate hearing with the country's National Civil Aviation Authority, ENAC.

"This morning, at Brindisi airport, a new accident occurred, yet another, on a Ryanair plane," said Caroppo (who is vice president of the Transport Commission of Italy's lower house of parliament), D'Attis and two other party members in a statement.

"We have therefore asked for an urgent hearing in the Transport Commission at the Chamber of ENAC leaders, with a focus on the safety of Ryanair flights, which – it is worth remembering – is the leading carrier in Italy for passenger traffic," the statement said.

READ MORE: Newborn twins who died alongside their mother are Helene's youngest victims

The statement listed other incidents, including one in May when a flight from the Italian port of Bari to London had to turn around because of technical problems, and another flight in May departing from the northern city of Bologna to Brussels that had to make an emergency landing in Luxembourg because of a fire onboard.

"And these are just some of the many, too many accidents that have involved Ryanair in recent months, in Italy and Europe," the statement added.

Ryanair did not respond to a CNN request for comment on the lawmakers' statement. Boeing, the manufacturer of both aircraft involved in this week's incidents, referred CNN to Ryanair.

A spokesperson for ENAC said it was investigating the two incidents this week separately.