A group of anti-youth-vaping lobbyists have performed their own nationwide sting.
Tag Archives: oceania
Push to scrap billions in popular tax breaks
Australia would benefit from an overhaul of its tax system, including scrapping billions in capital gains and superannuation concessions, according to one of the world's leading economic bodies.
In its yearly report on the Australian economy, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said the breaks should be removed in order to ease our high level of personal income tax and company tax rates.
"Tax reforms should target system efficiency and fairness, reducing reliance on direct taxes and high capital costs that hinder growth," it wrote.
READ MORE: Mum of girl killed in buggy crash says jail term for driver a 'slap in the face'
"Tax breaks, including from capital gains tax discount and superannuation concessions, could be phased out to generate a more equitable and efficient tax system."
Those two breaks alone are worth slightly over $70 billion a year – Australians claim about $19 billion in capital gains tax and $52 billion in superannuation concessions.
Capital gains is a particularly hot topic at the moment, following reports last week that Treasury is modelling the cost of a potential overhaul to tax breaks provided to investment property owners.
Often used alongside negative gearing, the capital gains discount was introduced in 1999 and critics say it is one of the leading contributors to surging home prices.
The IMF said it supported a review of those tax breaks, provided it came as part of a wider strategy to tackle the housing prices.
READ MORE: 'I have left the building': Aussie TV star announces her own death
"A comprehensive strategy is essential, focusing on increasing construction worker supply, relaxing zoning and planning restrictions, supporting the built-to-rent sector, expanding public and affordable housing, and reevaluating property taxes (including tax concessions to property investors) and stamp duty to promote efficient land use," it said.
The wide-ranging report also supported the Reserve Bank's current interest rate settings.
READ MORE: Billionaire accused of head-scratching beach theft
It warned the federal government against injecting too much cost-of-living relief into the economy, saying it could risk inflation going in the wrong direction and causing interest rates to stay higher for longer.
But the IMF also welcomed the government's second-straight budget surplus, and said the current economic slowdown will likely be reversed in 2025 on the back of increased growth, improving real wages, and inflation coming back to target by the end of the year.
2 Cheap Cars: Man’s eight-month battle for refund after faulty hybrid battery
2 Cheap Cars has now admitted it didn’t do the battery repairs it said it had.
Casey Costello releases ‘independent’ advice on heated tobacco
The five documents are not decisive on the benefits of the products.
Buggy driver’s jail term a ‘slap in the face’, says mum of slain girl
The mother of a six-year-old girl who was killed in a buggy rollover says the five-year jail term handed to the driver was a "slap in the face".
Olivia Stevens was one of seven children, all aged under 10, who were onboard the buggy without helmets or seatbelts when it crashed on September 11, 2021.
Damien Gibson, 36, was driving the overloaded vehicle on a farm at Rosedale in Victoria's Gippsland region when he took a sharp turn and it rolled.
READ MORE: Buggy victim's family speaks of nightmare after 2021 crash
Olivia was flung from the buggy and then crushed under it.
She sustained critical injuries and was flown to the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne where she died.
The six other passengers, including Gibson's five children, survived with minor injuries.
Gibson pleaded guilty to culpable driving causing Olivia's death after accepting a sentence indication from County Court Judge Richard Maidment.
Gibson watched on a video link from prison as he was sentenced today to five years behind bars.
He will be eligible for parole in just over two years, having already served nearly eight months in custody.
READ MORE: Australians again urged to get out of Lebanon amid fears airport could close
Judge Maidment said it was clear Gibson had been grossly negligent in taking seven unrestrained children on a vehicle designed to carry only four people.
He did not seek permission from Olivia's mother who had left her on a play date while she collected her son from a party, the judge noted.
Gibson also did not provide any of the children with helmets and he performed a sharp turn, knowing the terrain was uneven.
"The consequences of your negligence are tragic," the judge said.
Judge Maidment accepted the loss to Olivia's family was "utterly devastating" but said he needed to avoid giving a crushing sentence to Gibson.
He noted the 36-year-old had no prior convictions and had pleaded guilty, which showed his remorse.
The judge also considered the offending to be at the lower end of seriousness for culpable driving, as Gibson had not endangered other road users.
Olivia's mother Yana Stevens said Gibson's offending was devastating and there needed to be changes to the law to ensure people like him received harsher sentences.
"It's a slap in the face for taking such a precious child, our only daughter, away," she told reporters outside court.
"We literally dropped her off for 20 minutes and we'll never see her again."
Olivia was a bright and sassy girl who believed the best in everyone, Ms Stevens said.
"She knew how to break the most depressed person out of their shell and see the light and beauty in life," Stevens said.
"She used to always say that 'life's all about love, Mum. It's all about love'."
A statue of a pink flamingo, one of Olivia's favourite animals, will be displayed at her old school Gippsland Grammar to ensure the six-year-old's memory lives on.
‘I have left the building’: Aussie TV star announces her own death
Australian TV star Fiona MacDonald, best known for hosting It's a Knockout, has died aged 67.
MacDonald battled motor neurone disease for several years and she announced her own death in a heartbreaking social media post.
"My sister Kylie is posting this because I have left the building," MacDonald's posthumous message on Instagram read.
READ MORE: Hundreds of seats secured for Australians to leave Lebanon
"Was very peaceful the boys and Kylie stayed with me to say goodbye. While I've never wanted to die, the thought of leaving my tortured body was a relief."
In her message, MacDonald said the "past few months have been tough" prior to her death.
She said she'd struggled to swallow food and her feeding tube had not worked.
"It went straight in and straight out," she continued.
READ MORE: Toddler survives horror NSW car crash unscathed thanks to car seat
READ MORE: Growers losing thousands accuse authorities of heavy-handed approach to tomato virus
"I have been slowly starving, growing weaker and weaker. I've also developed terrible back pain because my muscles aren't supporting my frame."
The former TV host also said her signature "black humour" had helped during the toughest moments.
She had decided to stop medical intervention shortly before her death and went into hospital for palliative care.
"So let's not call it goodbye as I hope to see you again on the other side," MacDonald said.
"I carry your love and laughter with me and hope you'll remember mine."
As well as hosting the '80s version of the Aussie show It's A Knockout, MacDonald was also a founding member of the children's show Wombat.
Flood resilience a priority for new Ahuriri Tributaries Catchment Group
Community evening to share information and plan for stream catchment.
One person in serious condition after incident in New Lynn, Auckland
Emergency services were called about 4.30pm.
Junk dealer’s 60-year-old basement find an original Picasso worth $9.6m
A painting discovered by a junk dealer in the basement of an Italian villa six decades ago is actually the work of Pablo Picasso and could sell for millions, according to experts.
Luigi Lo Rosso used to spend his days combing abandoned houses and landfills in search of treasure to sell in the family's pawn shop in Pompeii, Italy.
In 1962, he found a rolled-up canvas with an asymmetrical painting of a woman in the basement of the villa on the nearby island of Capri.
READ MORE: At-risk Australians urged to get mpox jab as cases surge in NSW
The painting is now believed to be a distorted image of French photographer and poet Dora Maar, who was Picasso's lover, according to Luca Gentile Canal Marcante, an art expert and honorary president of the Swiss-based art restoration non-profit Arcadia Foundation.
The oil painting on canvas features Picasso's asymmetrical style of a woman in a blue dress with red lipstick.
At just 24, Lo Rosso didn't appreciate that the signature in the upper left corner of the artwork that read simply "Picasso" meant anything, his son Andrea Lo Rosso said.
The older Lo Rosso, who died in 2021, stuck it in a cheap frame and gave it to his wife – much to her chagrin, his son said.
READ MORE: Madeleine McCann suspect facing 15-year jail term in unrelated trial
She didn't think it was pretty enough to sell, so it hung in the family home for about 50 years and later in a restaurant they owned.
"When mum hung it on the wall to decorate the house, renaming it 'the scribble' due to the strangeness of the woman's face depicted, I wasn't even born yet," Andrea Lo Rosso said.
"From dad's stories I know that there were two canvases recovered from the Capri dump site. However, only one was signed by Picasso. Both were covered with earth and lime and my mother spread them out and washed them with detergent, as if they were carpets."
In the 1980s, when Andrea Lo Rosso was in grade school, he saw Picasso's "Buste de femme Dora Maar" in an art history textbook and learned that the Spanish painter spent time in Capri in the 1950s.
He then told his parents the painting might just be of value.
Thus began a decades-long journey to authenticate the signature on the artwork.
The family said they contacted art historians, many of whom told them it wasn't an original, but offered to take it off their hands.
READ MORE: Brisbane baby will have 'injuries for life' after being doused in hot coffee
Suspicious, they registered it with Italy's patrimony police, who first thought it might be stolen, but, since it was not authenticated at the time, allowed the family to keep it.
The artwork has been locked in a vault in Milan since 2019.
Finally, last month Cinzia Altieri, a graphologist for a patrimony court in Milan, was able to certify the Picasso signature as authentic.
Altieri worked on the painting for months, comparing it with other Picasso works and running forensic tests to make sure it was signed around the same time it was painted.
"There is no doubt that the signature is his," she said in a statement to local Italian media on Monday.
"There was no evidence to demonstrate its apocryphal nature."
Art expert Marcante, who has worked with the Lo Russo family, told CNN he's confident the painting is authentic.
The Lo Rossos' painting is likely to be worth around €6 million ($9.6 million), according to Altieri and Marcante's assessments, based on the current art market.
If certified by the Picasso Foundation in Paris, it becomes even more valuable.
"I'm happy but let's wait to toast, there is still one step to take before we consider this incredible story over," Andrea Lo Rosso said.
"I continue to work as I do every day in the hope that even in Paris they will be convinced of the authenticity of the painting."
CNN's has contacted the Picasso Foundation for comment.
Lo Rosso and his siblings say that when it is finally recognised by the Picasso Foundation, which could more than double its value, they will auction it off in honour of their father, who wanted the painting to be certified and sold.
Growers losing thousands amid ‘heavy-handed’ tomato virus response
A South Australian tomato grower who is losing thousands of dollars a day is demanding evidence of the virus which has forced him to shut down his business.
Tony Sacca has questioned the Department of Primary Industries and Regions' (PIRSA) heavy-handed tactics and believes growers should be allowed to manage tomato brown rugose fruit virus but bio-security officials want to eradicate the highly contagious plant virus.
Despite waiting for over six weeks, Sacca's tomato test results for the virus remain inconclusive, leaving him in a state of uncertainty regarding the sale of his produce.
READ MORE: Woman with rare double uterus gives birth to twins
"Six or seven weeks later, not knowing if we can sell, not knowing if we don't have the virus is really not good enough," he said.
Other growers who confirmed the presence of the virus have already discarded tonnes of stock, resulting in job losses and empty greenhouses.
Faced with mounting financial losses, Sacca made the difficult decision to halt his operations until the situation becomes clearer.
"If I keep on growing, I'm losing money, so I'm better off chopping… waiting," he said.
Sacca is demanding more comprehensive results from PIRSA, which has begun releasing them to growers still in limbo.
READ MORE: Australians again urged to get out of Lebanon amid fears airport could close
The agency says the virus is limited to three properties and that over 3,000 test results have been received, leading to the clearance of 10 properties. However, 12 sites are still awaiting their results.
To expedite the process, a laboratory will be set up at the SA Research and Development Institute.
However, it will take several weeks to receive national accreditation and approval.
Western Australia and Queensland have imposed a blanket ban on South Australian tomatoes due to the virus, a major blow to growers like Sacca who sell most of their product interstate.
This article was produced with the assistance of 9ExPress.