Convicted killers Gail Maney and Stephen Stone head to court 35 years after disappearance.
Tag Archives: oceania
Footage shows Whakaari/White Island crater during minor eruption
The marine volcano had a minor eruption on Friday and a ‘continuous’ eruption on Sunday.
Listen to The Country online: Act leader David Seymour on Deputy Prime Minister role
David Seymour, Simon Walker, Emma Higgins, Al Moorhead, Phil Duncan.
Health NZ must apologise after a man was circumcised without his consent
He made the unexpected discovery when the postoperative bandages were removed.
Nelson hostage situation: Schools, hospital, streets locked down after police respond to incident
Armed officers are in the area, residents told to stay away.
Police appealing for help locating missing Tikipunga teen
Police are asking for the public’s help regarding the search for the missing teen.
Not all heroes wear medals: The Paris 2024 legends we loved
The 2024 Olympic Games was an incredible show of skill, speed and strength, showcasing the greatest athletes on earth. But some of the most treasured memories from Paris will be those moments that encapsulated the Olympic spirit and simply made us smile. Here are a selection of our favourites.
Trump spreads false conspiracy theory about Harris’ crowd size
Donald Trump falsely claimed in a series of social media posts that "nobody" attended US Vice President Kamala Harris' Michigan rally last week — and said his Democratic rival should be "disqualified" over a "fake crowd picture."
The former president appeared to have fallen for a far-right conspiracy theory — one easily disproved by photos and videos captured by attendees and media showing thousands of supporters at the event at an airport hangar near Detroit.
The false claims about attendance at Harris' event come as Trump navigates the contours of a changed presidential race, with the vice president riding a wave of new Democratic enthusiasm after replacing President Joe Biden atop the ticket.
READ MORE: Tom Cruise steals show in closing ceremony spectacular
The Republican nominee, who regularly draws large crowds of his own, has long been fixated on audience size, with his speeches often filled with exaggerated boasts about the turnout.
Trump, on his social media website Truth Social, made the fabricated claim that Harris had been "turned in" by an airport maintenance worker who "noticed the fake crowd picture."
He then said Harris should be "disqualified" from this year's election "because the creation of a fake image is ELECTION INTERFERENCE. Anyone who does that will cheat at ANYTHING!"
However, photos and videos of the event — including videos captured with CNN's cameras — reflect a sizable audience for Harris' event last Wednesday. The crowd filled a large hangar and spilled onto the sprawling tarmac where Air Force Two had stopped.
Hany Farid, a digital forensics expert and professor at the University of California, Berkeley, said on LinkedIn that he analysed the photo with two models designed to detect patterns associated with AI-generated images. Both models found no evidence of AI generation, he said, adding that "the text on the signs and plane [showed] none of the usual signs of generative AI."
READ MORE: Helicopter crashes into hotel in Cairns
"While the lack of evidence of manipulation is not evidence the image is real," he said, "we find no evidence that this image is AI-generated or digitally altered."
David Plouffe, a Harris campaign senior adviser, wrote on X: "These are not conspiratorial rantings from the deepest recesses of the internet. The author could have the nuclear codes and be responsible for decisions that will affect us all for decades."
Trump on Sunday shared a screenshot of an X post that featured two photos: one shared on X by a Harris staffer that showed thousands of people greeting Harris' plane; another zoomed in on the curved, reflective side of one of Air Force Two's engines in which the crowd isn't clear.
"Has anyone noticed that Kamala CHEATED at the airport? There was nobody at the plane, and she 'A.I.'d' it, and showed a massive 'crowd' of so-called followers, BUT THEY DIDN'T EXIST!" Trump wrote on Truth Social.
"She was turned in by a maintenance worker at the airport when he noticed the fake crowd picture, but there was nobody there, later confirmed by the reflection of the mirror like finish on the Vice Presidential Plane."
READ MORE: Town mourns girl killed during Taylor Swift-themed dance class
"She's a CHEATER. She had NOBODY waiting, and the 'crowd' looked like 10,000 people! Same thing is happening with her fake 'crowds' at her speeches," Trump added. "She should be disqualified because the creation of a fake image is ELECTION INTERFERENCE. Anyone who does that will cheat at ANYTHING!"
Trump has twice been indicted over alleged efforts to overturn the 2020 election.
He falsely claimed in another post, "Look, we caught her with a fake 'crowd.' There was nobody there!"
In reaction to Trump's false claims, rally attendees and Harris staffers have been sharing their own photos from the event on social media.
Lavora Barnes, chairwoman of the Michigan Democratic Party, shared on X a photo from the event showing her speaking to a large crowd before Harris was introduced.
Barnes joked that she was "honored that whoever made the AI image of 15,000 excited Democrats welcoming" Harris and running mate Tim Walz to Detroit "was kind enough to include me at the lectern."
"That AI crowd was really loud, my ears just stopped ringing from their imaginary cheering," Barnes said.
Power price rises hitting export competitiveness – Fonterra
Dairy giant says longer-term solutions are necessary to ensure energy remains affordable.
Around 30 rockets launched from Lebanon into Israel, IDF says
The Israel Defence Forces reported around 30 rockets were launched from Lebanon on Sunday evening, though some fell into open areas and no injuries were reported.
"Following the sirens that sounded a short while ago in northern Israel, approximately 30 projectiles were identified crossing from Lebanon toward the area of Kabri, a number of which fell in open areas," the IDF said in a statement.
Rocket sirens were heard in the northern coastal city of Nahariya around 2am local time (9am AEST).
READ MORE: Almost half of Australians have gone cold this winter over power bill fears
Earlier Sunday, the IDF said its instructions to the public have not changed amid a possible retaliatory attack from Iranian forces after the assassination of Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh.
"The IDF and the security establishment monitor our enemies and the developments in the Middle East, with an emphasis on Iran and Hezbollah, and constantly assess the situation," IDF spokesman Daniel Hagari said.
"IDF forces are deployed and prepared in high readiness. If it becomes necessary to change the instructions, we will update about it in an orderly message on the official channels."
CNN Political and Foreign Policy Analyst Barak Ravid reported Sunday, according to two sources, Israeli intelligence assessed Iranian forces could be planning an attack "within days, even before the August 15 hostage deal talks."
READ MORE: East coast headed for huge drenching
A source privy to the details told Ravid the situation is "still fluid" and the internal debate in Iran continues. It is possible Iranian decision-making will still change.
Ravid also reported that Israeli Minister of Defense Yoav Gallant spoke with US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Sunday and told him Iranian military preparations suggest Iran is getting ready for a large-scale attack, a source with knowledge of the call said.
As planned ceasefire talks are due to take place this week, the threat of an attack from Iran and Iranian-backed Hezbollah looms.
The leaders of the United States, Qatar and Egypt said Thursday they may present what they called a "final bridging proposal" this week, urging Israel and Hamas to conclude a ceasefire and hostage deal in Gaza.
The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed Israel will send a delegation to the talks.
An Israeli source familiar with the matter told CNN over the weekend Egyptian and Qatari mediators have conveyed to Israeli officials in recent days Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar wants a ceasefire deal.
Hamas said Sunday it has asked mediators to implement a ceasefire plan based on previous talks such as those put forward by US President Joe Biden and the UN Security Council in July.