Tag Archives: oceania

Foreign citizens urged to leave Lebanon ‘as soon as possible’

The US, UK, Australia and France are among several countries urging their citizens to leave Lebanon as heightened tensions in the region spark fears of a widening Middle East conflict.

The US Embassy in Lebanon called on citizens to book "any ticket available to them".

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy said his message for British citizens was "leave now".

DAY 9 WRAP: All the action from a medal-packed night in Paris

The US, UK and France are among several countries urging their citizens to leave Lebanon

The region is on high alert after Iran vowed revenge on Israel, who it blames for the assassination of Hamas' political leader Ismail Haniyeh in the capital Tehran earlier this week.

Haniyeh's death came just hours after an Israeli strike on the Lebanese capital Beirut killed Hezbollah's most senior military commander, Fu'ad Shukr.

The developments have raised concerns that Israel's war in Gaza, which is now well into its ninth month, could spill over into a full-blown Middle Eastern conflict.

It is thought that Lebanon-based Hezbollah could play a prominent part in any such retaliation.

READ MORE: 'Worst season ever': How things got ugly on Greece's 'Instagram island'

The militant group has been involved in daily exchanges of fire with Israel; overnight on Saturday Hezbollah fired 30 projectiles, most of which were intercepted by Israel.

Many countries already had travel warnings in place but have issued fresh advice in the wake of the latest developments.

France told its citizens to make arrangements to leave Lebanon "as soon as possible" in a statement from the Ministry for Europe and Foreign affairs on Sunday.

OLYMPIC SCHEDULE: Your day-to-day guide to all the action in Paris, in AEST times

Jordan issued a similar warning to its citizens.

The country was involved in shooting down Iranian drones when Iran launched unprecedented retaliatory strikes in April for a suspected Israeli attack on a diplomatic complex.

Iran's state news agency (IRNA) reported that the Foreign Minister of Jordan will make a rare visit to the Iranian capital Tehran on Sunday, to "meet and exchange views with Iranian officials regarding bilateral, regional and international issues".

Turkey meanwhile updated its travel advisory for Lebanon, urging those who do not need to stay in Lebanon to leave while commercial flights remain active.

"Our citizens should avoid travelling to Lebanon unless it is essential; Our citizens in Lebanon are advised to be cautious, not to go to Nabatiyeh, South Lebanon, Bekaa and Baalbek-Hermel provinces unless necessary, and those who do not need to stay in Lebanon are advised to leave Lebanon, if possible, while commercial flights are still continuing," Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesperson Öncü Keçeli posted to X on Sunday.

OLYMPIC RESULTS: Every time, every distance, every medal from Paris

Airlines including Air France, Lufthansa and Kuwaiti Airlines have already cancelled flights to and from Lebanon while others diverted flights away from the country.

In a further sign of the region bracing for an Iranian retaliation, the US on Saturday sent a carrier strike group, a fighter squadron and additional warships to the Middle East.

It marked perhaps the largest movement of US forces to the region since the early days of the Gaza war, when the Pentagon sent two carrier strike groups toward the Middle East in a very public warning to regional militant groups not to expand the fighting.

White House deputy national security adviser Jon Finer said Sunday that the US and Israel are preparing for "every possibility" after the Pentagon sent the additional military assets.

"We and our ally Israel are preparing for every possibility. And that's the vein in which the announcements made by the Pentagon took place. All of those posture adjustments are to prepare for a potential response against Israel from Iran or any other adversary," Finer told CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union."

And on Sunday, US State Secretary Antony Blinken spoke with the foreign ministers from G7 nations to discuss the "urgent need for de-escalation in the Middle East," according to a State Department spokesperson.

The spokesperson said Blinken and the foreign ministers discussed ongoing efforts to achieve a ceasefire that would secure hostage releases and the entry of humanitarian aid to Gaza. They also reiterated their commitment to Israel's security and urged "maximum restraint from all parties" to keep the conflict from escalating.

Israelis have been stocking up on supplies, while a file from the Jerusalem municipality advised residents to "clean and prepare their bomb shelters," warning they must be able to reach shelters in 90 seconds.

Watch every moment, every medal of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 live and free on Channel 9 and 9Now. Plus, every event ad-free and in 4K on Stan Sport.

What does raising the terror threat level to ‘probable’ mean?

The federal government has raised Australia's National Terrorism Threat Level from "possible" to "probable".

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced the update after a meeting of the national security committee and cabinet this morning.

Albanese stressed that "probable" does not mean "inevitable".

Here's what it means:

DAY 9 WRAP: All the action from a medal-packed night in Paris

What does raising the terror threat level to 'probable' mean for Australia?

The official definition of the terror threat being raised to "probable" is that there is a greater than fifty per cent chance of an onshore attack or attack planning in the next twelve months, according to National Security Australia

"The national terrorism threat level is a warning tool to provide government and the public an indication of what ASIO is seeing and anticipates in the near future," it says.

"The security environment will continue to change in response to issues and events that arise both in Australia and overseas.

"The government will continue to provide updated advice to the Australian community as these changes occur."

Attacks in Australia are likely to be low-cost, using readily available weapons, and simple tactics, it says.

They are most likely to be carried out by an individual or small group in a crowded place such as a shopping centre or transport hub.

READ MORE: World's largest iceberg caught spinning in mysterious ocean trap

"Basic weapons, such as knives, vehicles, explosives, and firearms can maximise casualties when combined with simple tactics," it says.

"How perpetrators identify targets to attack can be driven by the ideology, or grievance of the attacker, and may include symbolic locations such as government buildings, places of worship or specific events."

READ MORE: 'Worst season ever': How things got ugly on Greece's 'Instagram island'

Why has the threat level been raised

Intelligence experts say the decision to raise the threat level was not triggered by any single ideology or issue, but reported an overall rise in polarisation in Australia and other Western nations.

Albanese said he sought to reassure Australians that "probable does not mean inevitable and it does not mean it is intelligence about an imminent threat or danger."

The director-general of Australia's domestic intelligence service ASIO, Mike Burgess, said that the country's security environment is "more volatile and more unpredictable".

"More Australians are embracing a more diverse range of extreme ideologies and more Australians are willing to use violence to advance their cause," he said.

READ MORE: The Sydney mansions that have been sitting empty for years

Toronto, Canada - September 24, 2023:  Popular social media apps on an Apple iPhone: Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, X (formerly Twitter), LinkedIn, Reddit, TikTok, and Threads.

"Politically motivated violence now joins espionage and foreign interference is our principal security concerns."

Burgess also stressed that "probable does not mean inevitable", but said "radical and inflammatory views are being normalised".

"This trend increased during Covid and gained momentum after the terrorist attacks on Israel, and accelerated during Israel's military response," he said.

"Individuals are embracing anti-authority ideologies, conspiracy theories, and diverse grievances."

The National Security Australia website warns social media is a "key driver of volatility," adding it is "acting as a gateway and platform for violent ideologies and global influences to promulgate at volume and scale."

Australia's terror alert system

The National Terrorism Threat Advisory System has a scale of five levels.

They go from the highest, "certain" followed by "expected", "probable", "possible" and the lowest, "not expected".

The system informs the Australian Government's national security preparedness and response planning.

When was the last time the threat level was raised

The terror threat level has not been raised for ten years, since 2014.

It was last changed in 2022 when it was lowered to "possible".

Before that it was "probable."

Watch every moment, every medal of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 live and free on Channel 9 and 9Now. Plus, every event ad-free and in 4K on Stan Sport.

‘Snooping’ fears kept Triple Zero operator from shooting details, court told

An emergency services operator who took a call about gunshots from a Wieambilla resident did not examine a nearby police incident for fear of "snooping" allegations, a coroner has heard.

Wieambilla resident Alan Dare, 58, was shot minutes after his wife Kerry called Triple Zero at 5.13pm on December 12, 2022 to report semi-automatic gunshots, explosions and smoke coming from a neighbouring property.

Townsville-based Triple Zero operator Emma Donald gave evidence at an inquest at Brisbane Coroners Court today into the shootings at Wieambilla that ultimately claimed six lives, including two police officers.

READ MORE: Australia's terrorism threat level raised to 'probable'

Donald said she was aware of a "police in trouble" incident at a property across the road while speaking to Mrs Dare but did not access more information.

"At the time I didn't know if it was related or not. We were told in our training that if we look into a job that isn't related, we most likely get in trouble because it's technically snooping, I suppose, into something that's not related to us," she said.

Dare left his property while his wife was on the phone to Triple Zero and was fatally shot about five minutes later by one of his neighbours.

Donald told Mrs Dare on the call she "absolutely advised against" attending the property but there is no evidence Dare heard this warning.

READ MORE: Outcry after spirits tax hits almost $104 a litre

The Wieambilla terrorists, Gareth, Stacey and Nathaniel Train.

Mrs Dare has previously testified that she would have immediately hung up on Donald and called her husband to warn him if she had been told there was a risk of him being shot.

About 45 minutes before Mrs Dare called Triple Zero, Constables Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow had been shot dead at neighbouring property while serving an arrest warrant for Nathaniel Train, who had also been reported missing in NSW.

Nathaniel Train and his brother Gareth Train opened fire without warning and from concealed positions as soon as the constables and two other officers started walking up their driveway.

Donald told the coroner today that she did not find out until 5.28pm that the incident next to the Dares involved "active offenders shooting at police".

The Triple Zero incident log showed Donald called Mrs Dare back at 5.30pm and was told "someone shot my husband".

Donald said she stayed on the phone with Mrs Dare for 30 minutes to ensure she had reached "a place of safety".

Dare was using his phone to film a burning police vehicle at the front gate of the Trains' property when an unknown member of that family fatally shot him in the chest.

Gareth Train, his wife Stacey Train and Nathaniel Train were shot dead six hours later by specialist police after they refused to negotiate, and opened fire on police helicopters and an armoured vehicle.

In response to cross-examination from Mrs Dare's barrister, Donald said she had not received additional training since the Wieambilla shootings.