The Pāpāmoa ward councillor is the only one from the 2019 council to be re-elected.
Tag Archives: oceania
Nine young people arrested after fleeing police in two Auckland incidents
Both incidents on Sunday involve stolen vehicles.
‘Blood on my face’: Harrowing ambush videos played at Wieambilla inquest
Harrowing videos of a deadly ambush of four junior police officers in Queensland have been played to an inquest into the fatal shootings of six people at Wieambilla.
Counsel assisting Ruth O'Gorman today told the opening of a five-week inquest at Brisbane Coroners Court that all six deaths had been filmed by either mobile phone and police body-worn or helicopter cameras, but the precise fatal moments would not be shown.
Constables Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow were shot in cold blood by Nathaniel, Gareth and Stacey Train after four officers arrived at the rural property in the Western Downs region on December 12, 2022.
OLYMPIC HUB: You can find all the latest Paris 2024 stories from Wide World Of Sport here
State Coroner Terry Ryan was shown videos leading up to the seconds before the deaths and immediately afterward, including footage recorded by police as they entered the property as part of a routine missing persons inquiry.
The four constables climbed over a fence and chatted about their status as first-year officers before an unseen person opened fire on them without warning as they walked up a winding dirt driveway with open grass either side separating them from bushland.
"There's a warrant for this fella?" one officer says in the seconds before O'Gorman stopped the video and said Arnold was shot in the chest and died.
O'Gorman said McCrow showed "great courage and grace" by recording important details about the attackers and a message to her family after she was shot three times in the back and legs while trying to crawl to cover.
"She recorded that a shooter was coming towards her. She discharged 15 shots from her Glock (police-issued handgun) and pleaded with the male. There was a brief verbal exchange before she was killed at close range," O'Gorman said.
Constable Randall Kirk took cover behind a tree and tried to call for help on his radio, but could not get through, eventually reaching his police station by phone.
Kirk told his acting sergeant that Arnold and McCrow were dead and the shooters had taken a police Glock in addition to their rifles.
"You've got to look after yourself, buddy," the sergeant told Kirk, who ran from tree to tree while carrying his gun and being shot at multiple times.
Kirk was able to reach a police vehicle and sped away, despite suffering bullet wounds to the hip and abdomen.
"I had to drive away. I lost a shoe. There's blood on my face. I don't know if I've been shot," Kirk told fellow officers by phone.
Neighbour Alan Dare was also shot dead when he came to investigate a fire started by the Trains in an attempt to flush out Constable Keely Brough, who had made it to cover and was concealed by grass less than 20cm in height.
Dare started filming the fire with his mobile phone and said a person was approaching him in a vehicle.
"Oh s—. What the? There was a fight, eh?" Dare said in the seconds before he was fatally shot in the chest.
The Trains were killed in a gunfight with specialist police later that night at the property.
The families of two officers shot dead have called for immediate law changes around firearms and police communications.
Judy McCrow, the mother of McCrow, spoke for her family and the family of Arnold outside the Brisbane Coroners Court ahead of the inquest.
"We pose this question to authorities: could a national firearms and ammunition register, drones and satellite-based communication strategies reduce the current risk?" she said.
She was joined by McCrow's sister Samantha McCrow and Arnold's father, Terry Arnold, mother Sue Arnold and sister Hayley Arnold.
"There is no escaping our devastating loss, the all-consuming grief and the tears. Our collective heart remains broken beyond repair," she said.
One dead after car catches fire following single-vehicle crash on SH1, Northland
An investigation into the cause of the crash is under way.
Maduro is declared winner in Venezuela’s presidential election
Nicolás Maduro was declared the winner in Venezuela’s presidential election on Sunday, even as his opponents were preparing to dispute the results, setting up a high-stakes showdown that will determine whether the South American nation transitions away from one party rule.
Shortly after midnight, the National Electoral Council said Maduro secured 51 per cent of the vote, overcoming opposition candidate Edmundo González, who garnered 44 per cent.
It said the results were based on a tally of 80 per cent of voting stations, marking an irreversible trend.
READ MORE: Israel strikes back after missile from Lebanon kills 12 children
But the electoral authority, which is controlled by Maduro loyalists, didn't immediately release the official tallies from each of the 15,797 voting centres nationwide, hampering the opposition’s ability to challenge the results after claiming it had the voting acts for only 30 per cent of the ballot boxes.
The delay in announcing results — six hours after polls were supposed to close — indicated a deep debate inside the government about how to proceed after Maduro’s opponents came out early in the evening all but claiming victory.
Opposition representatives said tallies they collected from campaign representatives at the polling stations showed Gonzalez trouncing Maduro.
READ MORE: Anthea was murdered days after her wedding. We still don't know her killer
Maduro, in seeking a third term, faced his toughest challenge yet from the unlikeliest of opponents in Gonzalez: a retired diplomat who was unknown to voters before being tapped in April as a last-minute stand-in for opposition powerhouse Maria Corina Machado.
Opposition leaders were already celebrating, online and outside a few voting centers, what they assured was a landslide victory for González.
“I'm so happy,” said Merling Fernández, a 31-year-old bank employee, as a representative for the opposition campaign walked out of one voting center in a working class neighbourhood of Caracas to announce results showing González more than doubled Maduro's vote count.
Dozens standing nearby erupted in an impromptu rendition of the national anthem.
“This is the path toward a new Venezuela,” added Fernández, holding back tears.
We are all tired of this yoke.”
Earlier, US Vice President Kamala Harris offered her support.
“The United States stands with the people of Venezuela who expressed their voice in today’s historic presidential election,” Harris wrote on the social media platform X.
“The will of the Venezuelan people must be respected."
Voters started lining up at some voting centers across the country before dawn Sunday, sharing water, coffee and snacks for several hours.
The election will have ripple effects throughout the Americas, with government opponents and supporters alike signaling their interest in joining the exodus of 7.7 million Venezuelans who have already left their homes for opportunities abroad should Maduro win another six year term.
READ MORE: Former TV host Andrew O'Keefe charged after allegedly threatening man
Authorities set Sunday's election to coincide with what would have been the 70th birthday of former President Hugo Chávez, the revered leftist firebrand who died of cancer in 2013, leaving his Bolivarian revolution in the hands of Maduro.
But Maduro and his United Socialist Party of Venezuela are more unpopular than ever among many voters who blame his policies for crushing wages, spurring hunger, crippling the oil industry and separating families due to migration.
The opposition managed to line up behind a single candidate after years of intraparty divisions and election boycotts that torpedoed their ambitions to topple the ruling party.
Machado was blocked by the Maduro-controlled supreme court from running for any office for 15 years.
A former lawmaker, she swept the opposition's October primary with over 90 per cent of the vote.
After she was blocked from joining the presidential race, she chose a college professor as her substitute on the ballot, but the National Electoral Council also barred her from registering.
That's when González, a political newcomer, was chosen.
Sunday's ballot also featured eight other candidates challenging Maduro, but only González threatens Maduro's rule.
After voting, Maduro said he would recognize the election result and urged all other candidates to publicly declare that they would do the same.
“No one is going to create chaos in Venezuela,” Maduro said.
“I recognise and will recognise the electoral referee, the official announcements and I will make sure they are recognised.”
Venezuela sits atop the world's largest proven oil reserves, and once boasted Latin America's most advanced economy.
But it entered into a free fall after Maduro took the helm.
Plummeting oil prices, widespread shortages and hyperinflation that soared past 130,000 per cent led first to social unrest and then mass emigration.
Economic sanctions from the US seeking to force Maduro from power after his 2018 re-election — which the US and dozens of other countries condemned as illegitimate — only deepened the crisis.
Maduro's pitch to voters this election was one of economic security, which he tried to sell with stories of entrepreneurship and references to a stable currency exchange and lower inflation rates.
The International Monetary Fund forecasts the economy will grow four per cent this year — one of the fastest in Latin America — after having shrunk 71 per cent from 2012 to 2020.
But most Venezuelans have not seen any improvement in their quality of life.
Many earn under $305 a month, which means families struggle to afford essential items. Some work second and third jobs.
A basket of basic staples — sufficient to feed a family of four for a month — costs an estimated $587.
The opposition has tried to seize on the huge inequalities arising from the crisis, during which Venezuelans abandoned their country's currency, the bolivar, for the US dollar.
González and Machado focused much of their campaigning on Venezuela’s vast hinterland, where the economic activity seen in Caracas in recent years didn't materialise.
They promised a government that would create sufficient jobs to attract Venezuelans living abroad to return home and reunite with their families.
Watch every moment, every medal of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 live and free on Channel 9 and 9Now. Plus, every event ad-free and in 4K on Stan Sport.
Philip Polkinghorne murder trial live updates: Surgeon accused of murdering wife Pauline Hanna in Remuera, Auckland home
He is accused of having killed wife Pauline Hanna in 2021.
Wild weather: Fresh warnings and watches issued by MetService as heavy rain, wind and snow hit across country
People are advised to keep up to date with the latest forecasts.
Whanganui set to avoid drop in temperatures as polar blast hits South Island
‘There’s not too much to worry about for Whanganui temperature-wise.’
Post-Cabinet press conference: PM Christopher Luxon speaks ahead of tax cuts coming into force
The cuts to income tax will come into force from Wednesday.
PM calls for Barnaby Joyce to be sacked over ‘bullet’ comment
Anthony Albanese has called for Barnaby Joyce to be sacked over comments he made likening ballot papers to "bullets".
The Nationals MP attended an anti-renewables rally yesterday where he compared ballot papers to bullets and urged attendees to "load that magazine" against the Prime Minister and energy minister, Chris Bowen, at the polling booth.
Albanese lambasted the comments on Sky News today as "completely unacceptable" and challenged Peter Dutton to step in.
READ MORE: Anthea was murdered 96 days after her dream wedding. We still don't know who her killer is
"Peter Dutton has had four reshuffles, he should have a fifth, and Barnaby Joyce should go," he said.
"This is the sort of language which has no place in any part of Australian society, let alone in public life.
"Here you have a guy going to a rally, calling for action, using analogies of guns, bullets, magazines and 'goodbye' to three members of the government. What does this bloke have to do to lose his job?"
READ MORE: Olympic Games Paris 2024 daily schedule: What's happening on day three
The former deputy prime minister apologised today for using the metaphor in the wake of the attempted assassination of Donald Trump.
Over the weekend Joyce told protesters the rally against wind turbines that their vote was a weapon in opposing the renewable, to which he compared to a "dog turd".
"The bullet you have is this little piece of paper, it goes in the magazine called the voting box and it's coming up," he said.
"Get ready to load that magazine.
"Go, goodbye Chris. Goodbye, Stephen. Goodbye, Albo. And when they see that, they'll let you in their office for a meeting."
Meanwhile, former immigration minister, Andrew Giles is now on the outer following a cabinet shake-up.
His job, and that of Clare O'Neill is now in the hands of Tony Burke, who has been made Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, Minister for Cyber Security, & Minister for the Arts.
The Prime Minister says he's putting responsibility with senior players in his team.
Watch every moment, every medal of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 live and free on Channel 9 and 9Now. Plus, every event ad-free and in 4K on Stan Sport.