Tag Archives: oceania

Ukraine hits Russia with fatal drone attack

One of Ukraine's largest drone strikes on Russia has killed at least four people, including three near Moscow, and wounded a dozen others, local authorities say.

Debris fell on Russia's largest airport without causing damage before Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed the drone strikes on Sunday, saying they were "entirely justified".

Russia has repeatedly launched similar attacks on Ukraine's capital and other cities during the war, and an expert said that the strikes appeared to be retaliation for recent Russian attacks on Kyiv.

READ MORE: Wife's heartbreaking tribute after Aussie dad killed in shark attack

Russian drone strikes on Ukraine overnight wounded eight people, Ukrainian authorities said.

In Ukraine's strikes on Russia, a woman was killed after a drone hit her home in Khimki, a Russian city just northwest of Moscow, and two men died in the village of Pogorelki, which is 10 kilometres north of the capital, according to local Governor Andrei Vorobyev.

Ukrainian drones had also damaged unspecified "infrastructure" and several high-rise buildings, Vorobyev said on social media.

One man was killed after a drone struck a truck in the Belgorod region, which borders Ukraine, according to local authorities.

In Moscow itself, at least 12 people were wounded in the night-time strike, mostly near the entrance to the city's oil refinery, Mayor Sergei Sobyanin reported. Sobyanin reported that the "technology" of the refinery hadn't been damaged.

Russia's largest airport — Moscow's Sheremetyevo — said that drone debris had fallen on its grounds without causing damage or affecting flights.

READ MORE: 'Help me': Aaron woke to the sound of screams

Russian defences shot down 81 drones headed for Moscow overnight, state agency Tass reported, citing Sobyanin, marking one of the largest attacks on the city since Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022.

Russian air defences destroyed 556 drones over Russia overnight, the country's defence ministry said Sunday morning. Shortly after midday local time, it reported that more than 1000 drones had been shot down or jammed in the previous 24 hours.

Zelenskyy said that the drones had flown more than 500 kilometres from Ukrainian territory, and that Ukraine was "overcoming" Russian air defence systems concentrated in and around the capital.

"Our responses to Russia's prolongation of the war and attacks on our cities and communities are entirely justified. This time, Ukrainian long-distance sanctions have reached the Moscow region, and we are clearly telling the Russians: their state must end its war," Zelenskyy said.

READ MORE: Brayden always 'lit up the room'. He was dead before he reached hospital

Revenge for Russian attacks, expert says

Nigel Gould Davies, senior fellow for Russia and Eurasia at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, a London-based think tank, said that Ukraine's large-scale attack appeared to be "the retaliation or revenge that President Zelenskyy promised after the fierce attacks that Russia carried out on Kyiv."

Those strikes came immediately after the end of a brief ceasefire that allowed Russia to hold its annual Victory Day parade on May 9 commemorating the Soviet victory over Nazi Germany during World War II.

"It brings home the fact Ukraine has the capacity to strike at very significant scale at or around the Russian capital," taking the war home to Russians in a way that would be "most unwelcome" to the Kremlin, Gould Davies told The Associated Press.

"There is no ongoing peace process to disrupt. What (the attack) is more likely to do is add to the darkening cloud of anxiety over Russia which has developed palpably over the last three or four months," he said.

He cited a combination of factors, including Russia's recent battlefield setbacks, a deteriorating economic situation at home, and the Kremlin's intensifying crackdown on the internet, including in Moscow and Russia's second-largest city, St Petersburg.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Father-of-two named as victim of Rottnest shark attack

The man killed in a shark attack while spearfishing off Rottnest Island has been identified as father-of-two Steven Mattaboni.

The 38-year-old died on Saturday after he was attacked by what's believed to be a white shark near Horseshoe Reef, off the island near Perth.

Mattaboni, from Perth, had been in the water with friends when the shark attacked about 20 metres from their boat.

READ MORE: Beaches remain open on Rottnest Island after man killed in shark attack

Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.

His mates pulled him on board and rushed him to the nearest jetty at Geordie Bay as paramedics prepared to respond.

Despite CPR from his friends and emergency crews, he could not be saved.

"His friends have actually witnessed the horrific event," Sergeant Michael Wear said on Saturday.

"The victim was on the surface at the time, about 20 metres away from the vessel."

Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.

"Certainly quite horrific scenes for all involved, and all emergency services that were there did a fantastic job."

Authorities said Mattaboni suffered serious injuries to both lower legs.

Surf Life Saving WA later confirmed a five-metre white shark was seen about 80 metres offshore on Sunday morning, as patrols continued around the island.

A man in his 30s is in a critical condition after a suspected white shark attack on Rottnest Island near Perth. A St John WA ambulance spokesperson said emergency services were called to the scene off Geordie Bay at 10am (local time) today.A rescue helicopter, paramedics and police are at the scene.Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.

Rottnest Island beaches have remained open following the attack, with shark experts maintaining that the overall risk to swimmers and surfers remains low.

Dr Daryl McPhee told Today the incident occurred a considerable distance offshore.

"I'd be more concerned if the bite occurred right on the beach, but its a long way off shore," he said.

The island, a popular tourist destination off Perth known for its beaches and quokka population, can be reached by ferry from the mainland.

Perth father-of-two Steven Mattaboni died in a shark attack while spearfishing near Rottnest Island on Saturday morning.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has been notified and is working with local authorities following the fatal attack.

Australia recorded the highest number of fatal shark attacks in the world last year, according to figures released by the International Shark Attack File in February.

Five people died in shark attacks in Australian waters in 2025, with great white sharks linked to several of the incidents.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.