Friends say father and club member Simon McLarin died after a medical event on the water.
Tag Archives: oceania
Man dies after shark attack off WA’s Rottnest Island
A man has died after a shark attack off Rottnest Island near Perth, Western Australia.
The 38-year-old man had been out on a boat with other people at Horseshoe Reef, about 1 kilometre offshore, when he was attacked about 10am today (12pm AEST).
The man was brought to a jetty at Geordie Bay, where emergency services worked on him for about half an hour, but he could not be saved.
READ MORE: Australian hantavirus evacuees start three-week quarantine
He has not yet been named.
Surf Life Saving WA said on social media a five-metre white shark was seen about 80 metres offshore this morning.
Residents and tourists were left shocked by the news of the man's death.
Witness Jarrad Young told 9News onlookers hoped the man would be OK.
Boyd Fraser said the man's death was a "terrible tragedy".
"I've been surfing for over 50 years and I've seen a lot of sharks and I couldn't think of anything worse, so I just walked here to pay my respects to him and his family," Fraser said.
Shark patrols have been taking place and people are being told to avoid the area.
READ MORE: Tourist killed in horror Queensland bus crash identified
Rottnest Island is a popular tourist destination off the Perth coast and can be reached by ferry.
The area is a protected nature reserve known for its quokka population, white sand beaches and secluded coves.
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has been notified of the incident.
Earlier today a spokesperson for DPIRD said the department was working with local authorities.
String of shark attacks across Australia
There have been several shark attacks reported in Australia this year.
Andre de Ruyter, 27, was one of several victims attacked by sharks over the course of 48 hours in NSW in January.
He lost a leg in the attack on Sydney's Northern Beaches.
Nico Antic was first to be attacked by a suspected bull shark after jumping off rocks at Neilson Park, near Shark Beach, in Vaucluse on January 18.
The 12-year-old junior lifesaver later died in hospital.
Also, 39-year-old Paul Zvirzdinas received minor injuries after his board and wetsuit were bitten by a shark at Point Plomer near Port Macquarie.
An 11-year-old boy had a lucky escape at Dee Why Beach after a shark bit his board but otherwise left him unscathed.
The attacks were attributed to previous wild weather considered a "once-in-a-500-year event", which created the perfect environment for bull sharks to lurk in coastal waters around Sydney and wider NSW.
Last month 16-year-old surfer Oliver Tokic-Bensley had a close call with a shark in South Australia.
He told 9News he was surfing by himself in murky water off the tourist town of Middleton when the shark "grabbed" his foot and knocked him off his board.
He was about 100 metres offshore and frantically paddled back to land.
Back in March, a man was bitten by a shark while snorkelling around the Great Barrier Reef.
He and two other men were swimming from a private vessel on the western side of Lady Elliot Island in Queensland when the attack took place about 8am.
He was bitten on the elbow and helped to shore by the other two men.
Australia heads world table for shark attacks
Australia recorded the world's highest total of fatal shark attacks on humans last year, with more great whites gathering in waters popular with surfers, research released earlier this year found.
The International Shark Attack File released in February confirmed there were 12 fatalities (nine of which were classified unprovoked) worldwide, with Australia accounting for five.
Other countries to record deaths last year included the United States, Mozambique, South Africa and Vanuatu.
The global total of 12 fatalities was up from the previous year's seven.
READ MORE: Confused driverless taxis take over suburban streets
There were 65 confirmed unprovoked attacks globally, a jump from the 47 in 2024 and above the five-year average of 61.
Last year US waters had the most incidents at 25, with 11 off the coast of Florida.
Australia was in second spot recording 21 unprovoked attacks.
Researchers from the University of Florida who drew up the report noted an increase in fatalities from great whites.
Bigger numbers of the species at "aggregation sites", beaches favoured by surfers, especially in Australia, may be behind this, they suggested.
The Australian coastline is also home to the bull and tiger sharks, which along with great whites make up the "big three" predators.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Lotto Powerball results: Winning numbers for tonight’s $15m jackpot revealed
Tonight’s Powerball jackpot sits at $15m, with Strike Four at $1m.
Trump says Islamic State group leader was killed in a joint US-Nigerian mission
US and Nigerian forces killed a leader of the Islamic State group in Nigeria in a mission carried out on Friday, US President Donald Trump said.
Trump announced the joint operation in Africa’s most populous country in a late-night social media post that offered few details.
He said Abu Bakr al-Mainuki was second in command of the Islamic State group globally and “thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing”.
READ MORE: Man dies after shark attack on WA's Rottnest Island
Al-Mainuki was viewed as the key figure in IS organising and finance, and had been plotting attacks against the US and its interests, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to share sensitive information.
Nigerian President Bola Tinubu confirmed the operation and said Al-Mainuki was killed alongside “several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin".
Born in Nigeria's Borno province in 1982, al-Mainuki took the helm of the IS branch in West Africa after the group’s previous leader in the region, Mamman Nur, was killed in 2018, according to the Counter Extremism Project, which tracks militant groups.
Al-Mainuki was based in the Sahel area, the monitoring group said, adding that it is believed that he fought in Libya when IS was active in the North African nation more than a decade ago.
READ MORE: Teen killed, driver and another teen fighting for life after 'stolen car' hit tree
He was sanctioned by the US in 2023.
Trump in December directed US forces to launch strikes against the Islamic State group in Nigeria, though he released little detail then about the impact.
Nigeria has been battling multiple armed groups, including at least two affiliated with IS, as it has grappled with a multifaceted security crisis.
IS affiliates in Africa have emerged as some of the continent's most active militant groups following the collapse of the IS caliphate in Syria and Iraq in 2017.
The US in February sent troops to the West African nation to help advise its military and in March, the US also deployed drones there after Trump alleged that Christians are being targeted in Nigeria’s security crisis.
The Friday night operation was the latest instance in a string of covert missions abroad that Trump has announced this year, starting with the stunning overnight raid in January to capture and remove Venezuela's then-leader Nicolás Maduro and whisk him to the US, followed nearly two months later by the launch of strikes that kicked off the war with Iran.
Far North ‘death trap’ SH10 intersection has dozens of crashes, no fix planned
Across a 2.9km stretch of SH10, 39 people have been injured and one has died.
Fears for welfare of man, 96, missing for over a week
A 96-year-old man has gone missing in Melbourne.
David was last seen in Victoria Street in Bulleen in the city's north-east over a week ago on Friday, May 8.
The Asian man is thin, has balding grey hair and may have been wearing a suit.
READ MORE: Man dies after shark attack on WA's Rottnest Island
He may be driving a 2004 Toyota Camry sedan with registration TGC818.
Police have serious concerns for David who has a medical condition.
He doesn't have his mobile and may be disorientated.
READ MORE: Teen killed, driver and another teen fighting for life after 'stolen car' hit tree
It is believed David may have been in Melbourne CBD and Lilydale on last Sunday, May 10.
Anyone with information should contact Triple Zero or Doncaster Police Station.
IR staff Smita Nalawade, Gina Thompson, Punipuao Fatu and Bimlesh Sharma fired after breaching taxpayer privacy
They were told not to engage but within minutes they had looked into the account.
Sex worker claims engineer deleted illegal smart glasses footage
She believes the tech worker used his Apple Watch to wipe the video from his devices.
Northland pin-up mum Lady Sugarbelle chases Miss Vintage Australasia crown
The 33-year-old mum will be the only Northland pin-up on the Christchurch stage.
Weightlifting, crystals and green tea: How ‘Bonsaiville’ came to Auckland’s Sandringham
Anna Heath talks weightlifting, crystals and green tea with Sandringham’s bonsai master.