Tag Archives: oceania

Australian taxpayers to foot $2 million ‘ISIS bride’ bill

It will cost Australian taxpayers millions of dollars for the government to surveil and rehabilitate each so-called ISIS bride and their family, as the PM warns he has "zero sympathy" for the women who now face serious criminal charges.

The opposition previously claimed the cost of round-the-clock monitoring for high-risk individuals with links to the Islamic State terror group in Australia totals $2 million per person each year, a figure Finance Minister Katy Gallagher has been unable to deny.

When asked if the figure was accurate, Gallagher told ABC Radio National that the government will "spend what we need to spend to keep Australians safe".

LIVE UPDATES: US confirms clash with Iranian forces

A so-called ISIS bride is escorted into custody by federal officers.

READ MORE: What is hantavirus? Everything to know about the deadly cruise ship outbreak

"I would suggest the opposition would have done exactly the same if they were in government," she added.

Gallagher said the children of the ISIS brides and fighters who have returned to Australia in particular will require a lot of assistance and government-managed programs to reintegrate into society.

"We've consistently said the parents of these children have made a terrible decision to either take those children or have children in these camps or warzones," Gallagher said.

"They are Australian citizens, they are entitled to Australian citizenship.

"We need to make sure they are supported and managed appropriately."

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said that, while the returning children are the "victims of decisions", he has little sympathy for their parents.

"I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people," Albanese told reporters in Melbourne.

"I do have sympathy for the children, though… It is appropriate that they undergo support, children who have been subject to all sorts of horrors at those camps."

The PM reiterated that the Australian government did not assist in repatriating the ISIS-linked citizens, despite pressure from US President Donald Trump.

"They were not brought back. We chose to make our own decisions as a sovereign state and not provide any support," he added.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 07: A group of supporters surround an Islamic State-linked family as they arrive at Melbourne Airport on May 07, 2026 in Melbourne, Australia. The women, who had traveled to Syria to join the Islamic State militant group, are expected to face questioning by Australian Federal Police upon their arrival, with authorities weighing potential charges under counter-terrorism legislation. (Photo by Asanka Ratnayake/Getty Images)
Minister for Finance, Minister for the Public Service, Minister for Women and Minister for Government Services Katy Gallagher during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Friday 8 May 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

READ MORE: Australian house prices set for downturn as rate hikes bite

Victorian Liberal MP Jason Wood earlier claimed the exborbitant yearly cost is spent on constant surveillence, with some returning citizens requiring at least two officers.

Coalition home affairs spokesman Jonno Duniam previously criticised the Labor government for not stopping the Islamic-linked group from arriving on Australian soil.

"Australian taxpayers who can't pay their own bills are not going to be happy about people who went to join a terrorist organisation and support those perpetrating crimes under that organisation's banner, getting welfare payments," he said.

"It's not right."

Dozens of ISIS fighters and their brides have returned to Australia since 2013.

Government plans have been in place since 2014 to manage the returning citizens.

A 13-person cohort of ISIS brides and their children are due to return to Australia, among them are the three women who now face criminal charges.

Police arrive at Sydney Airport ahead of arrival of so-called "ISIS brides'.

READ MORE: All eyes on Farrer: How regional electorate could upend conservative politics

Three ISIS brides arrested and charged

Two ISIS brides who were arrested after arriving in Melbourne yesterday have been charged with slavery offences allegedly committed during their time in Syria.

The two women, grandmother Kawsar Abbas, 53, and her daughter Zeinab, 31, were taken into custody by federal police as they landed at Melbourne International Airport yesterday evening.

Abbas has now been charged with four counts of crimes against humanity, including possessing and using a slave, and Zeinab has been charged with two counts of crimes against humanity.

Australian Federal Police (AFP) will allege in court that Abbas travelled to Syria in 2014 with her husband and children, and was complicit in the purchase of a female slave for $US10,000, and knowingly kept the woman in the home.

So-called ISIS bride Janai Safar.

Officers will allege that 31-year-old Zeinab travelled to Syria in 2014 with her family and knowingly kept a female slave in the home.

Each of the charges carry a maximum penalty of 25 years' imprisonment.

The two women have faced court and will make bail applications.

The charges come after a third ISIS bride, 32-year-old Janai Safar, was arrested after she landed in Sydney from Syria.

Safar has been charged for allegedly entering and remaining in a declared conflict zone and joining ISIS.

The 32-year-old was denied bail while appearing in court via video link today.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Rebel Wilson accused of being ‘fantastical liar’ during defamation battle

Rebel Wilson has been lashed as a liar who made up terrible claims about her colleagues and completely rewrote history.

The Pitch Perfect star copped the blunt assessment in the dying hours of a fiery defamation battle where she is being sued by Charlotte MacInnes, the lead actor in musical comedy The Deb which Wilson directed, co-produced and starred in.

MacInnes claims Wilson defamed her in a series of social media posts that suggested she is a liar and a sellout who walked back a sexual misconduct complaint to further her career.

READ MORE: Minister ordered to pay $10k over travel expenses scandal

The posts claimed MacInnes confided to the older actor, and later recanted, she felt uncomfortable when the film's co-producer Amanda Ghost asked to have a shower and a bath together.

MacInnes denies making or retracting a complaint, insisting she was not uncomfortable when the pair shared a bath in their swimwear after Ghost suffered a medical episode in September 2023.

MacInnes' barrister, Sue Chrysanthou SC, accused Wilson of a "complete revision of history" littered with dishonesty during her emphatic closing address in the Federal Court today.

She noted the Bridesmaids actor testified she told local producer Greer Simpkin about the alleged complaint on the day it was made to her, but that had been contradicted in court.

Simpkin gave evidence she hadn't heard that Wilson claimed her co-star felt uncomfortable about the incident until it was relayed by Ghost a week later.

It was just one example of glaring inconsistencies in Wilson's evidence which has been repudiated by others, Chrysanthou told the court.

READ MORE: Julie Bishop quits as ANU chancellor after months of turmoil

MacInnes claims Wilson defamed her in a series of social media posts.

"She is a fantastical liar who has made up terrible, terrible allegations about multiple people and her own witnesses have discredited her," she said.

"We say Ms Wilson cannot be believed on anything she has said."

The first-time director lied to Ghost about receiving a complaint to create division between her and MacInnes, whom she sought to paint as a troublemaker, Chrysanthou said.

A text from Wilson which accused the young actor of leaking information to the film's writer makes it clear she was set on undermining MacInnes' relationships with others, she argued.

The uncontested facts of the bathroom incident are a medical episode occurred, no one felt uncomfortable and a witness didn't think anything untoward happened.

"One can hardly imagine a less sexy environment for some kind of harassment to occur, shaking and hives and tea provided by (the witness)," Chrysanthou told the court.

READ MORE: Australian taxpayers to foot $2 million 'ISIS bride' bill

The Deb producer Amanda Ghost.

MacInnes has suffered devastating harm as a result of the social media posts and hasn't worked since she starred in a stage production, a role which she had previously secured, her barrister said.

"My client has been unable to eat, unable to sleep, has been distressed … (she) fears what Rebel Wilson is going to do to her next," Chrysanthou said.

"No young woman dreams of being pulled into the spotlight by a celebrity and maligned".

But Wilson testified the young star doesn't appear to have sustained any damage to her reputation or career, pointing to the lead role and a six-figure record deal MacInnes has secured.

"She's changed her story, she's flip-flopped and she's been given huge benefits," she said.

Wilson gave evidence she had seen many photos of MacInnes on international trips and in expensive hotels, some of which had been sent to her by the "I hate Amanda Ghost fan club".

"Prior to The Deb she was relatively unknown and (I) understood she did not have the means to travel around the world in luxury," the A-lister wrote in her affidavit.

Her barrister, Dauid Sibtain SC, will begin his closing remarks on this afternoon.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Minister ordered to pay $10k over travel expenses scandal

Anika Wells has been ordered to pay more than $10,000 in claimed travel expenses and fines after the communications and sport minister faced an extensive audit of her taxpayer-funded claims.

Wells has repaid $10,116 to taxpayers, $8093 in wrongfully claimed expenses and a $2023 penalty, according to audit documents published by the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority (IPEA).

The IPEA found four trips out of a total of 25 which were claimed under the government's family reunion rule "did not fully satisfy the requirements of the Parliamentary Business Resources (PBR) regulation".

READ MORE: Two 'ISIS brides' charged with slavery offences after three arrested upon arrival in Australia

Minister for Communications and Minister for Sport Anika Wells during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 28 April 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

One of the expensed trips took place in February 2022, while the rest occurred between May and October 2025.

In a statement shared with Nine.com.au, Wells said the audit "found no misconduct or ethical breaches" and that she had repaid the cost of her "honest mistakes" in full.

"The audit found, over four years of travel, involving nearly 250 separate trips, I made four mistakes," Wells said.

"These were four cases where I chose what I thought was the more sensible, cheaper option, but those choices were not allowed according to the rules, which I accept and respect.

"I accept IPEA's assessment and I am sorry for making these honest mistakes."

READ MORE: What is hantavirus? Everything to know about the deadly cruise ship outbreak

Minister for Communications and Minister for Sport Anika Wells ahead of an address to the National Press Club of Australia in Canberra on Wednesday 3 December 2025. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Wells first faced public scrutiny over her taxpayer spending in December last year after it was revealed she spent nearly $100,000 on a three-day trip to New York City.

Wells stung the public purse with $94,828.75 on return flights for herself and two staffers to attend the United Nations General Assembly in early September.

It was later revealed that Wells had also flown her husband Finn McCarthy to several cricket events, including two Boxing Day Test matches, and logged the $4000 expenses under the Commonwealth's family reunion provision.

The IPEA found the New York trip and Boxing Day Test matches to be appropriate claims of travel expenses.

When asked about the cost of the NYC trip during a National Press Club address, Wells said her office had been "transparent" about the flights.

"The reason you know all those things is we're transparent about them, we'll disclose them and we'll continue to disclose them and we'll continue to disclose information about that trip through the usual processes," Wells said at the time.

She later defended the cricket-related flights, saying "every parliamentarian has family reunion entitlements".

Speaking to reporters in Melbourne, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Wells had paid back the money.

"We have IPEA. We have an independent parliamentary expenses authority, who's in charge of this," Albanese said.

"She referred herself to it, which was appropriate, and it was appropriate that she pay back the money.

"That has been done, and she has paid back the money in accordance with the rules."

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

More cases of hantavirus possible but risk is ‘low’, WHO says

More cases of a deadly, rodent-borne illness could emerge in the coming weeks but the risk to public health is "low", according to the World Health Organisation.

Cases of hantavirus, the term for a group of viruses carried by infected rodents that can pose a severe disease risk in humans, emerged on luxury cruise ship MV Hondius last month.

The vessel had been marooned in quarantine off the coast of Cape Verde in West Africa since Sunday.

READ MORE: ISIS brides' bid for freedom after appearing in packed courtroom

WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said eight cases of the Andes strain of the virus have been reported so far, including three deaths.

Five of the eight cases have been confirmed as Hantavirus, while the other three are suspected.

"Given the incubation period of the Andes virus, which can be up to six weeks, it's possible that more cases may be reported," Ghebreyesus said in the latest briefing.

READ MORE: Julie Bishop quits as ANU chancellor after months of turmoil

The MV Hondius cruise ship is anchored at a port in Praia, Cape Verde.

"While this is a serious incident, WHO assesses the public health risk as low.

"It's possible that more cases may be reported."

Ghebreyesus said the first two people with the confirmed virus had travelled through Argentina, Chile and Uruguay on a bird-watching trip.

He said the excursion included visits to sites where "the species of rat known to carry the virus was present".

The first case was in a man who developed symptoms on April 6 and died on the ship on April 11.

No samples were taken, and because his symptoms were similar to those of other respiratory diseases, Hantavirus was not suspected.

READ MORE: 'One big glow': Trump's horrifying threat of apocalypse

This undated photo provided by Oceanwide Expeditions shows the MV Hondius, a Polar Class 6 passenger vessel, at sea.

The man's wife, who was also symptomatic, went ashore when the ship docked at the island of Saint Helena.

She deteriorated on the flight to Johannesburg on April 25 and died the next day.

Samples were taken, which was taken to South Africa's National Institute for Communicable Diseases.

Ghebreyesus said the third death was a woman on the ship who developed symptoms on April 28 and died on May 2.

Another man, who remains in intensive care, presented to the ship's doctor on April 24.

READ MORE: Thousands of staff at $60bn Aussie company suddenly stop working

Luxury cruise ship MV Hondius.

Doctors boarded the ship to provide care for the three other passengers.

Two are in a stable condition and one is asymptomatic in Germany .

The eighth man disembarked at Saint Helena and reported himself with symptoms in Zurich, Switzerland.

No remaining passengers or crew on the ship are currently symptomatic, according to Ghebreyesus.

"WHO is aware of reports of other people with symptoms who may have had contact with one of the passengers," he said.

"In each case we're in close contact with the relevant authorities.

The cruise ship is now sailing to the Canary Islands following a request by the WHO to Spain.

"We're confident in the capacity of Spain to monitor the risk and we're supporting them to do so," Ghebreyesus said.

The hantavirus as seen under a microscope.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.