Tag Archives: oceania

‘I won’t be forgetting him’: Victim of fatal crash in Sydney’s Royal National Park identified

A 20-year-old man who died after becoming trapped in a sinking car that had swerved into the water in Sydney's Royal National Park has been identified as a university student and budding cricketer.

The car is believed to have veered off the road before crashing into Audley Weir in the Sutherland Shire about 1.15am.

The 20-year-old driver of the blue Audi was able to free himself from the sinking car and was taken to hospital for mandatory testing.

READ MORE: Some ISIS brides returning to Australia 'will be arrested'

Car being pulled from the water.

He has since been released and was in custody at Sutherland Police Station.

The passenger became trapped in the vehicle, and his body was found, along with the submerged car, following a multi-agency search.

He has been identified as 20-year-old Muhammad Kashif, a university student studying electrical engineering and a budding cricketer from Casula.

READ MORE: Treasurer defends his record on fighting inflation

20-year-old Muhammad Kashif.20-year-old Muhammad Kashif.

"Everybody will be remembering him because of his energy and smile," former cricket coach Omar Khan told 9News.

"We can't forget his smiley face.

"I won't be forgetting him for the rest of my life."

Sergeant Steven Planinic said the 18-year-old driver of a second vehicle, a silver Mercedes, was speaking with police and the car had been seized.

"There was a passenger in the second vehicle, who is voluntarily at the police station providing police information about what happened," he said.

READ MORE: Former MAFS star's Melbourne car dealership firebombed just days after opening

Divers search for the car and the body of the passenger trapped inside.

Police say there does not appear to have been any contact between the two vehicles.

"Charges may be pending for both drivers," Planinic said. 

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Three child protection workers stood down amid Kumanjayi Little Baby investigation

WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are advised this story contains the image of a person who is deceased.

Three Northern Territory child protection staff members have been stood down as the government investigates the circumstances before Kumanjayi Little Baby's alleged murder.

The NT's child protection minister, Robyn Cahill, said she asked the department for information relating to its interactions with the girl's family.

Cahill was reportedly offered a delayed briefing on Friday, where she learned that the NT child protection department had received six reports about Kumanjayi Little Baby's welfare in the weeks before she went missing.

LIVE UPDATES: Trump's 'Project Freedom' was halted due to 'warnings from Iran'

NATIONAL: Some 'ISIS brides' will be arrested upon arrival in Australia, AFP confirms

"They've been stood down while an investigation is underway into actions taken, or not taken, in relation to this case," Cahill told Australian Associated Press.

"I am calling for an independent investigation from someone who is removed from the existing situation so we can have total accuracy and be sure that we are getting the information that we need to get to understand how this failure could happen," she earlier told Sky News.

Nine.com.au has contacted the Northern Territory's child protection department for comment.

A full investigation into how the department handled Kumanjayi Little Baby's case will take place and the NT children's commissioner has been asked to run an independent investigation.

Nine.com.au does not suggest any wrongdoing by the child protection staff members, only that they have been stood down.

Kumanjayi Little Baby – the name used in line with cultural tradition after her death – vanished from a home in a town camp in Alice Springs on April 25.

Her disappearance triggered a massive land and air search across central Australia until her body was found on April 30.

Jefferson Lewis, 47, has been accused of murdering the five‑year‑old girl near Alice Springs.

He was expected to appear in Alice Springs Local Court yesterday via video link from custody in Darwin but his appearance was excused.

MONEY: Damning sign proves thousands of Aussies face a ticking mortgage timebomb

No application for bail was made, and the case was adjourned to July 30.

The alleged murder horrified the tight‑knit community, many of whom spent anxious days scouring creek beds and scrub for the missing girl before her body was found in bushland outside the town five days after she disappeared.

Lewis was arrested at another Alice Springs town camp after being beaten unconscious by locals.

Federal Minister for Indigenous Australians Malarndirri McCarthy told ABC's 7.30 it was important to remember Kumanjayi was very loved by her family, who were in deep mourning and did not want her death to be turned into a political fight.

For 24/7 crisis support run by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, contact 13YARN (13 92 76).

Man wearing swastika shirt outside royal commission hearing moved on by police

A man wearing a swastika t-shirt outside the Royal Commission on Antisemitism and Social Cohesion has been moved on by police.

The 68-year-old was spotted at about 11am outside the royal commission hearing location on Clarence Street in Sydney before being issued a move-on direction after he was allegedly seen wearing a t-shirt displaying the offensive symbol.

He spoke to a media scrum outside the hearing before complying with the order. 

LIVE UPDATES: 'You'll find out': Trump issues fresh warning to Iran

A man has been given move-on orders by police after wearing a shirt bearing a swastika outside the building in which the royal commission is being held.

In a statement, the commission said it was "appalled" that the shirt was worn in the vicinity of the venue.

"The Royal Commission is aware that this morning an individual wearing an antisemitic shirt was moved on by NSW Police from out the front of the Royal Commission hearing location.

"We understand the matter is being dealt with by NSW Police.

"Safety of witnesses is paramount to the Royal Commission. We want to reassure witnesses and those wishing to engage with the Royal Commission that safety protocols are in place.

"The Royal Commission is determined to investigate antisemitism in Australia without fear or intimidation," the statement said.

The incident comes as the Royal Commission into Antisemitism and Social Cohesion reaches its third day of hearings this week.

People with a lived experience of antisemitism were invited to take part in the public hearings.

Commissioner Virginia Bell delivered her interim report last Thursday and made 14 recommendations – all of which were accepted by the federal government – on how to respond to anti-Jewish hate and fracturing social cohesion.

The report confirmed that the massacre could not have been prevented and that no legal or regulatory shortcoming contributed to the attack.

The final report is due on December 14 this year.

READ MORE: US Defence Secretary 'won't confirm or deny' use of 'kamikaze dolphins'

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Aussie author has books permanently pulled from public schools

The books of children's author Craig Silvey have been permanently pulled from WA public schools after he pleaded guilty to child exploitation offences.

Silvey, 43, pleaded guilty to possessing and distributing child exploitation material at Fremantle Magistrates Court yesterday, and the Western Australian Department of Education has moved quickly to make a temporary ban on his books in the state's public schools permanent.

"There is absolutely no place in our school system for works authored by someone who has admitted to such serious crimes," Education Minister Sabine Winton said in a statement.

BREAKING NEWS: Some members of ISIS-linked cohort returning to Australia will be arrested

Craig Silvey

"Now that he has pleaded guilty, those texts will not return to the curriculum.

"Predatory behaviour against children is abhorrent and has no place in our community, let alone in materials studied by students in our schools."

Winton added the department was working with schools to help adjust curriculums and lesson plans, as well as making sure Year 12 students who had already studied them and were working towards using them in their final exams would not be penalised.

Detectives from Western Australian Police's Child Abuse Squad raided Silvey's Fremantle home, earlier this year, allegedly catching him communicating online with child exploitation offenders and seizing his electronic devices.

The father of three was later hit with extra charges, including allegations he produced child exploitation material between February and June 2022, and possessed further material on January 12 this year.

LIVE UPDATES: 'Let him do it': Pope v Trump turns ugly

Education Minister Sabine Winton said there was no place for his material to be seen in WA public schools.

The popular author is best known for his 2009 coming‑of‑age novel Jasper Jones, which is considered a modern Australian classic and has been adapted into a feature film and several stage productions.

He has also been widely recognised for other books, including Rhubarb, Honeybee, which won the Australian Indie Book Award in 2021, and the children's novel Runt, which was also made into a film.

Publishers Allen & Unwin and Fremantle Press, which released Rhubarb, stopped promoting his books after the original charges were laid and most of his titles were removed from reading lists across the country.

Silvey's bail was continued, and he is next due to appear in the District Court on July 3 for sentencing.

Support is available from the Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Damning sign proves thousands of Aussies face a ticking mortgage timebomb

Thousands of Australian mortgage holders are worried they will be unable to make their home loan repayments following consecutive interest rate hike blows.

More than 65,000 people have contacted the National Debt Helpline (NDH) since the start of the year, with mortgage stress remaining the top reason for calling.

Just under 14,000 people called the NDH in April 2026, a 21 per cent increase on the year prior.

EXCLUSIVE: Anna had no idea her identity had been stolen. Then the letters arrived

how to get a reduced mortgage ahead of the peak spring property market domain

Are you struggling to pay your mortgage? Contact reporter April Glover at our breaking newsletter here

Fresh charges added for Bondi massacre terror accused

A man accused of unleashing the country's deadliest terror attack has been hit with fresh charges six months after the Bondi Beach massacre.

Naveed Akram opened fire on a crowd of people celebrating Hanukkah at Bondi Beach alongside his father, 50-year-old Sajid Akram, on December 14.

The attack left 15 people dead – including a 10-year-old girl – and dozens more injured.

LIVE UPDATES: 'You'll find out': Trump issues fresh warning to Iran

NAVEED AKRAM COURT SKETCH FEBRUARY 16

The elder Akram was shot dead by police, while his son was charged with 59 offences and held at Goulburn's supermax prison.

The existing charges included committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder, and 40 charges of attempted murder over his alleged role in the massacre.

But the 24-year-old has been hit with a further 19 charges while in custody, including ten counts of shooting with intent to murder and six counts of discharging a firearm with intent to resist arrest.

Records reveal the additional charges were laid in April, ahead of a mention of the matter in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday.

He has not yet been required to enter pleas to any of the charges.

The father-and-son attack was Australia's deadliest mass shooting since the Port Arthur massacre in 1996.

The men allegedly tossed three pipe bombs filled with steel ball bearings and a tennis ball bomb into a crowd celebrating Hanukkah at Archer Park before opening fire.

None of the bombs detonated.

A box-like bomb was also allegedly found in the boot of their car, while two hand-painted ISIS flags were also in the vehicle.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.