A Dunedin woman discovered the horrendous aftermath of the suspected dog attack.
Tag Archives: oceania
Wellington police search for missing Karori woman Amber Bohanna
She was last seen about 4.30am today in the Wellington suburb.
Locals lose bid to block Macca’s on ‘world’s coolest street’
A 24/7 McDonald's has been approved to be built on one of Melbourne's trendiest streets despite fierce opposition from residents who claim it will damage the suburb's "social fabric".
The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) reversed a decision by Darebin City Council on Friday to block the Macca's from opening at a fire-damaged vacant lot at 323 High Steet in Northcote.
Northcote resident Andy Miller, who fought alongside the council to block the development, said it was a "disappointing" outcome but was confident the battle was not over.
READ MORE: Neil wants pokies machines to play 'losing sounds'. Here's why
READ MORE: Your identity could be for sale for as little as $200 on the dark web
"McDonald's may have succeeded up to this point in this skirmish, but the campaign to halt the spread of these fast-food goliaths is far from over," Miller told Nine.com.au.
"'No Macca's Campaigns' are increasing nationally."
Darebin councillors in November voted 6-3 in opposition to the planning motion and the proposal returned to the table last week, with VCAT finding that concern from locals and businesses that the fast food outlet did not fit the vibe were not relevant to the planning application.
Miller said the VCAT tribunal was not interested in community outrage over the potential for Macca's to ruin the "social fabric" of Northcote's tight-knit community.
A petition against the proposal attracted more than 11,300 signatures.
Many feared the proposed convenience restaurant would spoil the blend of local restaurants, hip bars, boutique shops and live music venues that run along High Street, which runs along the suburbs of Northcote, Thornbury and Preston.
Locals said the late-night opening hours would compromise the suburb's "unique character".
The sting of the Golden Arches is a little more painful for local burger joint 300 Grams, which is just a few doors down from the proposed site.
But owner Norm Khzam told 9News he hopes residents will stay loyal to his business.
"We wouldn't open a couple of doors down from another burger shop, but at the same time we are confident in what we do," he said.
Time Out magazine last year named the buzzy High Street as number one in its "world's coolest street" rankings.
"Macca's relies on the fact that councils and communities get exhausted," Miller said, adding that Northcote residents will "regroup" and assess their options.
It is difficult to appeal a VCAT decision.
Tribunal decisions can only be appealed in the Victorian Supreme Court.
READ MORE: Alleged shooter 'appeared to be targeting Trump'
Community members will gather for a "Fast Food Forum" next week to discuss who suburbs can "protect [themselves] against these powerful chains and reform the planning system that enables their proliferation".
A spokesperson for McDonald's said the fast good giant welcomed the outcome and that the application had been "fairly and rightly assessed".
"The restaurant represents an investment of more than $2 million and reflects McDonald's ongoing commitment to employment-generating development across Victoria," the spokesperson said.
"The restaurant will be owned and operated by a local Franchisee, who will contribute to the local area through employment, access to training and development opportunities, and supporting local community organisations."
McDonald's previously argued the development would generate around 100 jobs during construction and 100 full-time, part-time and casual jobs once it is open.
It is scheduled to open later this year.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Magistrate’s son to face trial over child abuse charges
A magistrate's son has been ordered to stand trial on more than 100 child sexual offences.
Cooper Mitchell Bamberry faced Brisbane Magistrates Court today for a committal hearing on 129 charges that were laid in March and May 2025 when he was 22 years old.
The Helensvale man is the son of Queensland magistrate Mark Bamberry.
NATIONAL: Two bodies found after man and four children escape horror house fire
Defence lawyer Adam Guest consented for the matter to go to trial after cross-examining one witness.
The alleged offences included one count of rape, two charges of intercourse with a child, 53 counts of indecent treatment of a child and 45 counts of using the internet to procure a child.
Bamberry is also accused of possessing and distributing child exploitation material, and involving a child in the making of exploitation material.
Deputy Chief Magistrate Stephen Courtney asked Bamberry, who stood in the dock wearing a black suit and red tie, if he had anything to say in response to the charges or enter any plea.
"No thank you, Your Honour," Bamberry said.
READ MORE: Locals lose bid to block Macca's on 'world's coolest street'
Police prosecutor Qi Wang had earlier handed numerous police and witness statements to Courtney.
"Your lawyer has consented for you to be committed to trial without me considering the contents of all of those written statements," Courtney told Bamberry.
The court had been closed to the public for 25 minutes to hear from a single witness.
The woman was granted special witness status by Courtney and gave evidence via videolink from another room.
Courtney said the witness was not a child affected by alleged offending.
The matter will move to Queensland's District Court for a trial on a date yet to be determined.
Bamberry was not on bail and was remanded to stay in custody.
Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732)
If you or someone you know is in need of support contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue. In the event of an emergency dial Triple Zero (000).
Man caught with 200 undersized pāua in Castor Bay, North Shore
Fishery officers seized the man’s boat and fishing gear at Castor Bay.
Comanchero gang member Patrick Langi jailed again after Auckland commando training
It was envisioned as an elite hit squad and a US Marine was flown here to make it happen.
Kapuni crash: One dead after single-vehicle accident in Taranaki
The road was closed while the Serious Crash Unit examined the scene.
‘Let me see’: Chaotic moment Trump demands to be left behind
New footage has emerged of the moment Trump was reluctantly hurried off stage by armed Secret Service.
Indian free-trade agreement due for formal signing in New Delhi
Trade Minister Todd McClay is leading the delegation for the historic occasion.
Six-figure losses: Tairāwhiti tourism hit hard by state highway closures
Sporadic closures of SH35 and SH2 are putting mounting pressure on Tairāwhiti tourism.