Stefan Hannon-McGinn and Ethan Howe are accused of murdering Sidney Ross Bridson.
Tag Archives: oceania
Huapai Tavern faces scrutiny at licence hearing over child assault incident
Blair Shaw says Huapai Tavern staff failed to protect his family on night of the incident.
Two men seriously injured after violent home invasion and kidnapping
A terrifying home invasion and kidnapping has transpired on a suburban street in Melbourne, leaving two men seriously injured.
Police tape and detectives lined the residential street this morning following reports three offenders broke into a home just after 5am.
Two men inside the home were assaulted before one of the men was kidnapped, police said.
READ MORE: Five men including teenager charged after botched Sydney abduction
A 35-year-old man was driven to a home several suburbs away, where he was later released, police said.
He was taken to hospital with significant injuries, police said.
A 54-year-old man was taken to hospital from the original scene with an upper body injury, Ambulance Victoria said.
A 35-year-old woman who was home at the time was uninjured, but was taken to hospital for observation, Ambulance Victoria said.
Neighbours told 9News they saw a blood trail at least a kilometre long spattered across the footpath and saw a young woman being consoled near the scene this morning.
Detectives and forensics have spent much of the day scouring the scene for clues.
No arrests have been made.
Investigators believe it was a targeted incident.
Anyone with information or dashcam/CCTV footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Dilworth School abuse investigation: 14th arrest in Operation Beverly
The charges relate to incidents in the early 1990s at the Auckland boys’ boarding school.
Gisborne crash: Multiple injured and road closed in Centennial Marine Drive
Motorists are being urged to avoid Centennial Marine Drive near Midway Beach.
Teenager locked up and charged with widower’s kidnapping murder
The fourth person charged over the alleged mistaken-identity kidnapping and murder of elderly grandfather Chris Baghsarian is also accused of arson.
Moustafa Ohrok, 19, did not apply for bail in Mt Druitt Local Court today after being charged with the murder of the 85-year-old in February.
Ohrok was arrested yesterday, after Baghsarian was taken from his home in Sydney's north in the early hours of February 13.
READ MORE: Actor accused of breaking 'girl code' in breast assault
Three others have already been charged and remain before the courts.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said the young man arrested yesterday was involved in the initial abduction of Baghsarian.
"We're alleging this 19-year-old actually provided a firearm that was used in his initial kidnapping," Lanyon told 2GB radio.
Investigators are continuing to look into other possible suspects, he said.
Ohrok faced two separate charges in court yesterday of damaging property by fire and participating in a criminal group.
He will next face Parramatta Local Court on the arson matter on May 21.
The 19-year-old will appear in Penrith Local Court on the murder and kidnap charges on June 12.
READ MORE: UK to introduce lifelong smoking ban for anyone born after 2008
The widower was not the intended target and had been taken in a case of mistaken identity, police have said.
They made several public appeals, urging the kidnappers to release the 85-year-old and return him to his family.
But on February 24, his body was found near a golf club in Pitt Town in Sydney's northwest.
Police suspect the perpetrators aimed to abduct a relative of Sydney businessman Dimitri Stepanyan, who lived on the same street as Baghsarian, with the hope of receiving a $50 million ransom.
Investigators believe Baghsarian was killed on the night of February 14 at a makeshift stronghold in Dural, about a half-hour drive from where his remains were found.
READ MORE: Over 200 million litres of extra diesel coming to Australia
A growing number of underworld attacks have permeated Sydney streets, with Lanyon saying the city is dealing with a very different organised crime environment.
"We are seeing young people predominantly being contracted online to conduct very serious criminal activity," he said.
"There are a lot of young people who are seeing what they believe to be an easy dollar but not understanding the ramifications … the crime of murder carries life."
Five others, including a 15-year-old boy, were charged today over a separate kidnapping in south-west Sydney.
The group are accused of beating up a bodyguard with a baseball bat and abducting him in his own car before being freed by police an hour later.
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.
- Download the 9NEWS App here via Apple and Google Play
- Make 9News your preferred source on Google by ticking this box here
- Sign up to our breaking newsletter here
Wellington measles case possibly infected at Warbirds Over Wānaka or Ultra music festival
Possible exposure sites include Warbirds Over Wānaka and a music festival in the capital.
Family violence killer Tupaea Kerr guilty of murdering Charlie Watson in Glen Eden, Auckland
Victim of killing stabbed through the voice box and left with a shoe print on her face.
Man sentenced to 11 years in prison over unprovoked stabbing spree
A man who carried out a series of unprovoked stabbing attacks on strangers in broad daylight will remain behind bars for at least half a decade.
Daniel Clavell failed to appear before the Victorian County Court today, where he was sentenced to 11 years in prison for random attacks including on four strangers on a busy shopping strip in Melbourne's north-west in 2023.
Judge Sandra Davis described his conduct as extremely serious, noting the victims were left traumatised, some with lifelong scars from the random attacks.
READ MORE: Five men including teenager charged after botched Sydney abduction
Clavell pleaded guilty to charges of affray, intentionally causing injury and making threats to kill, and had waived his right to be present at his previous court proceedings.
Despite his admissions, Judge Davis said he appeared to show little to no remorse for his actions.
Clavell was on bail when he committed the first offence in what was described as a six-week period of offending involving 13 victims.
He was walking at Moonee Ponds Train Station on June 17, 2023, when he struck a stranger in the face, causing him to jolt backwards. The victim fled to a nearby home, before Clavell also left the scene.
About 10am on June 28, the following week, Clavell was walking in Brunswick when he punched another man twice, leaving the victim with a fractured nose.
On June 29, Clavell had crossed paths with a man and woman on a ramp at Broadmeadows Train Station where he punched the woman in the face twice, before later producing a knife, causing the pair to retreat.
READ MORE: Where double demerits won't apply over the Anzac Day weekend
He also stabbed a woman nearby after placing his hand around her throat.
Clavell was later arrested that day and was released with intent to summons.
Another two incidents involving two assaults on strangers in Dallas and Coburg also unfolded between July 26 and July 29.
Clavell went on a stabbing spree on August 2 after he was caught shoplifting by the owner of Amazing Bargains on Puckle Street in Moonee Ponds about 12.50pm.
After being confronted, he produced a sharp object and stabbed the owner on the left side of her neck, knocking her to the ground.
Clavell threatened a bystander who tried to photograph him as he fled, saying "I will f—-ing kill you".
He then stabbed another man in a nearby shop before assaulting two others on his way to the train station, about 200 metres from the initial attack.
The court was told that Clavell had been diagnosed as having schizophrenia and a history of substance abuse relating to steroids.
Judge Davis acknowledged Clavell's troubled upbringing, which involved domestic violence and the loss of his father, who had been heavily involved in criminal activities during his youth.
His father Rodney Clavell killed himself inside an Adelaide brothel in 2014 during a 12-hour standoff with police.
Judge Davis today said the victims had suffered emotional, physical, financial and social impacts from the offending.
Clavell will be eligible for parole in six years and has already served more than two years into his sentence.
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636.
National Alcohol and Other Drug hotline 1800 250 015
Nicola Willis demands apology after Chris Hipkins’ ‘medical help’ jibe
Nicola Willis highlighted recent runs with overseas finance chiefs to rebut the remark.