Tag Archives: oceania

Man shot in 'targeted' attack at Sydney gym

An man has been shot in a gym in Sydney's west, in what 9News understands was a targeted attack.

Police are investigating whether the incident is linked to the Alameddine family.

Police were called to World Gym in Prospect just before noon after reports multiple shots had been fired.

There victim Murat Gulasi suffered "minor" gunshot injuries to the leg and was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics, police said.

READ MORE: What we know about Omicron, the new COVID-19 variant

The shot man is helped by onlookers at the gym.Paramedics load the injured man into the back of an ambulance, after the shooting in Prospect, in Sydney's west.

Footage obtained by 9News showed Mr Gulasi on the ground with his leg being treated by a group of witnesses.

Other footage showed Mr Gulasi being loaded into the back of an ambulance, one of several attending the scene.

He was taken to hospital where he is in a stable condition.

It is believed a total of 18 shots were fired into the gym.

Police cordoned off the area and an investigation is underway.

NSW Police Superintendent Steve Eggington described the shooting as "disgusting".

READ MORE: New search for missing campers after murder charge

Ambulances rushed to World Gym in Prospect, in Sydney's west, after reports a man had been shot just before midday.

"Quite a disgusting behaviour that we've seen from these people that have taken it onto themselves to undertake a shooting on a popular gym with a creche attached to it," Superintendent Eggington said.

In nearby Blacktown a burnt-out Mazda was found and is being investigated as to whether it was being driven by the shooters.

NSW Police say they are investigating if the shooting is connected to a similar incident in Condell Park.

'Freaked out': Melbourne café owner hit with death threat and vandalism

The owner of a small business in Melbourne's north has been given a death threat and his café has been vandalised in what is believed to be a politically-motivated attack.

A brick was thrown through the window of Thornbury's Briki Cafe on Hutton Street overnight and a threatening note was taped to the door, saying, "Do what Dan Andrews says and we will burn down your shop and kill you".

Owner Simos Kandias found the note and the mess when he arrived at his café this morning.

READ MORE: Protester hospitalised as COVID-19 cases emerge from Melbourne protests

Mr Kandias told 9News he was still in shock hours later.

"I freaked out," he said.

"Was it just a threat? Will they follow through?

"Are there people coming tonight to finish the job?"

Mr Kandias said he couldn't think of a reason his business was targeted – he has never made a political statement and follows COVID-19 restrictions as most businesses are.

He and his five part-time staff are fully vaccinated.

On Sunday morning a man was caught on CCTV taking a brick to two other Thornbury hospitality businesses – GRK Greek Kitchen and Bar and the Thornbury Taphouse.

GRK Kitchen and Bar's Effie Stratkis said the action against small businesses wasn't fair.

"We don't make the rules we just follow them, so it's a shame to take it out on a small business," she said.

Police are investigating whether the attacks are linked.

NSW government working on 'Opal-style' toll billing system

The New South Wales Government is looking into an Opal-style fee system for Sydney's toll roads as the soaring cost of living turns drivers away.

Construction has just started on the new M6 Motorway tunnel which will link President Avenue in Brighton Le Sands to the M5 Arncliffe.

When the tunnel is completed in 2025 it will become Sydney's 14th toll road.

READ MORE: What we know about Omicron, the new COVID-19 variant

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said the government was aware of the burden tolls were putting on household budgets of Sydney families.

"The toll will be $2.20 each way. We know the cost of living is a challenge for families," Mr Perrottet said.

"We are looking at those issues at the moment and where we can put downward pressure on the system, we will."

READ MORE: New search for missing campers after murder charge

Toll roads cashback E-Tag intiative

In response to rising toll costs the state government is discussing an Opal-style toll system whereby a motorist is charged for how much of the city's network they use, instead of individual motorways.

As part of the system, the amount a motorist would pay would be capped at a weekly or daily sum regardless of how far they drive.

Heavy transport such as trucks may be forced to use motorways instead of cutting through quieter suburbs on roads that were not designed to cope with the weight and duration of the traffic.

While the plan is being worked on, 9News understands the Premier and Treasurer are looking to have a different toll plan in place by Christmas.

Dozens stranded in UK pub for third night after heavy snow

Dozens of people are trapped in a pub in England for the third night after heavy snowfall.

Snow from Storm Arwen has stranded more than 60 people in the Tan Hill Inn which is Britain's highest pub, at 508m.

Snow drifts of almost 1m have closed local roads, with power cables down and left cars buried.

READ MORE: Boy, 14, charged with alleged stabbing murder of 12-year-old UK girl

Dozens of people are trapped in a pub in England for the third night after heavy snowfall.

Many of the revellers headed to the pub on Friday to see a tribute group to British band Oasis – and are still there.

Manager Nicola Townsend told the BBC they had become "like a family" during the ordeal.

"It's just been a lovely and everyone is in really good spirits," she said.

Dozens of people are trapped in a pub in England for the third night after heavy snowfall.Dozens of people are trapped in a pub in England for the third night after heavy snowfall.

READ MORE: What we know about Omicron, the new COVID-19 variant

"They've formed quite a friendship, like a big family is the best way I can describe it.

"One lady actually said 'I don't want to leave'."

She told Sky News people had been sleeping downstairs in the pub, with a photo showing people lying the pub's floor.

"Nobody else is going anywhere now," Ms Townsend said.

"We're just going to make sure everybody is safe.

"We've kept the fires roaring. Everyone is nice and warm."

READ MORE: New search for missing campers after murder charge

Dozens of people are trapped in a pub in England for the third night after heavy snowfall.

The stranded punters are being kept entertained with a quiz and movies, and the Oasis band, Noasis, have been performing.

A karaoke night was the latest way punters kept themselves busy – and plenty of food cooked by staff.

"We will ALWAYS remember this group of amazing people who came together, and hopefully, in challenging circumstances, enjoyed what we all think was a life – changing experience," the pub posted on Facebook.

READ MORE: Exhausted nurses walk away from jobs amid staff shortages

It's not the first time people have been snowed in at the pub, which is near Richmond, and dates back to the 17th century.

It once featured in a Christmas TV advert for British supermarket Waitrose.

The pub said 40 of those stranded had been booked in, while others went in for a drink on Friday.

Dozens of people are trapped in a pub in England for the third night after heavy snowfall.

Some who had four wheel drive vehicles have now managed to get out, Sky News reported.

One of the guests, Martin Overton, told the BBC the atmosphere was "very good" with "plenty of beer available".

Mountain rescue teams did attend the pub to help somebody with a medical problem.

There have been power cuts across the UK due to the storm, with multiple weather warnings in place for snow and ice and temperatures to drop as low as -10C in some places.

Three people were killed by falling trees over the weekend, according to reports.

Aussie shares fall marginally as investors await impact of Omicron

The Australian share market has closed down 39.6 points or 0.5 per cent as investors keep a close eye on the development of the new Omicron variant.

At the close of trade the benchmark S&P/ASX 200 was down to 7239.7 points, having largely recovered from steep early falls of up to 1.3 per cent.

Despite the looming threat of the new variant, futures markets overseas are pointing towards a positive day of trade on Wall Street.

READ MORE: What we know about Omicron, the new COVID-19 variant

Locally the day's biggest winner was motor vehicle part and accessory distributor Bapcor, which saw a 4.59 per cent rise in share price to $7.07.

Among those counting their losses was Westfield manager Scentre Group (down 3.80 per cent), Webjet (down 2.80 per cent) and property investment firm Vicinity Centres (down 4.78 per cent).

The Aussie dollar is currently buying 71 US cents and one Bitcoin is worth $80,317.

READ MORE: New search for missing campers after murder charge

Investors will now look to two critical political meetings in the next 24 hours to see how Australia will handle the new variant of the virus.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison will convene a meeting of National Cabinet tomorrow to work on ensuring there is a "common understanding, common information and common actions" among all states and territories.

Chief Medical Officer Professor Kelly said the gathering of the National Security Committee tonight and National Cabinet tomorrow will be the "crucial moments where those decisions will be made".

Vaccine advisory body ATAGI will also review booster timeframes in light of Omicron.