Tag Archives: oceania

Australia sends troops to Solomon Islands unrest

Australia will send dozens of AFP and ADF personnel to the Solomon Islands at its request, after protests in the capital of Honiara turned violent.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced 23 AFP officers will be sent immediately, while 43 ADF personnel will go tomorrow.

"Our purpose here is to provide stability and security," Mr Morrison said, adding that Australia will not intervene in the internal issues of its Pacific neighbour.

Demonstrators from the country's most populous island, Malaita, had travelled to the capital in a spill over of anger about a host of domestic issues including unrealised infrastructure promises, media reported.

READ MORE: North Korea to execute man for distributing copies of Squid Game

Thick smoke billows across properties in the Solomon Islands city as crowds fill the streets.

They demanded the resignation of Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogevare.

Mr Sogevare asked Australia for assistance under a bilateral security treaty agreed upon in 2017.

Australia will also send a patrol boat to the area. Mr Morrison said the Royal Solomon Islands police force has been stretched. 

He said he has received reports of more unrest, increasing number of people on the streets. He noted all Australian high commission staff are accounted for. 

Mr Morrison also stressed Australia's troop deployment to the Solomon Islands is to support local law enforcement. 

"We are there to support them and what they are doing and to provide that backup, particularly in relation to the critical infrastructure that is there," he said. 

READ MORE: Thousands of litres of beer poured down the drain in New Zealand

People appear to flee down an alleyway as unrest intensifies in the Solomon Islands capital of Honiara.

"And it has been important for us to be quite clear with our Pacific island nations in particular with the Prime Minister about the nature of our involvement." 

Minister for Foreign Affairs Marise Payne says the federal government will monitor travel advice for Solomon Islands' capital Honiara after civil unrest triggered a lockdown and overnight curfew. 

"We will continue to review that travel advice as the hours and time pass to ensure that it is appropriate and we will support Australians who may be in the capital," Ms Payne said. 

"I can also advise that the Australian mission in Honiara, all staff and families are safe and they are supporting the government with the provision of information on events as they unfold." 

Wild flames tear through a property as people, potentially demonstrators, linger nearby.

The Royal Solomon Islands Police Force (RSIPF) said between 2000 and 3000 protesters took to the streets on Thursday, with some setting fire to buildings and looting stores in the eastern part of Honiara. Thirty-six people have been arrested, they added.

Protests broke out on Wednesday evening as parliament resumed over the Prime Minister's lack of response to a citizen petition filed in August, which included demands for the government to respect the rights of self-determination of the Malaita people, to limit ties with China and to resume development projects in Malaita.

Police had earlier deployed tear gas to break up the protests.

When calling for the lockdown in an address that was broadcast late on Wednesday, Mr Sogavare said: "Our nation witnessed another sad and unfortunate event aimed at bringing a democratically elected government down."

Protestors gather outside the parliament building in Honiara, Solomon Islands, November 24, 2021, in this screen grab obtained by Reuters, from a social media video (CNN).

"I had honestly thought that we had gone past the darkest days in the history of our country, however today's events are a painful reminder that we have a long way to go," Mr Sogavare said.

A lockdown in Honiara, which would run until 7 am on Friday, local time, "will allow our law enforcement agencies to fully investigate the perpetrators of today's events and to prevent further lawless destruction," he said.

As well as looting stores, demonstrators set fire to a thatched roof building on the grounds of the Parliament – as it was sitting – and a police station, Mr Sogavare said.

The RSIPF urged people attending schools and businesses around Honiara to stay home to avoid being affected by unrest.

Australian troops are being sent to the Solomon Islands after unrest in the capital of Honiara.

"We want to make sure that our streets, schools and businesses will reopen soon after the lockdown," RSIPF deputy commissioner Juanita Matanga said in a statement.

"I am asking for your cooperation until the situation turns normal."

With CNN

Melbourne home sold after being unchanged for 171 years

A Melbourne CBD home unchanged since 1850 has gone under the hammer for the first time in more than a century.

The house on the corner of King and LaTrobe streets, which was lived in by actress Lola Russell, has not been updated for 171 years, making it one of the city's littlest and oldest homes.

The historic building is littered with deep cracks, scaffolding outside and graffiti and water damage inside.

READ MORE: Melbourne council likely to change name after discovering ties to slavery

Bars have been placed on the windows to ward off squatters, with constant break-ins and a serious fire at the building in the last year.

While the building is surrounded by skyscrapers, heritage rules mean no redevelopment will be allowed.

The limited options for the property meant bidding started low, but the final price came in at $1.875 million for the 130 square metres.

It was bought by a Melbourne-based investor who is not sure exactly what the home will become but has committed to significantly restoring it.

Cygnett founder Tim Swann dies suddenly

Much-loved technology entrepreneur and Cygnett founder Tim Swann has died following a motorbike accident on Saturday.

Mr Swann, aged 47, launched digital accessory giant Cygnett with his sisters Sophie Swann and Amie Newling-Ward from their Melbourne base in 2003.

Today, Cygnett is a worldwide business, selling products in over 200,000 retail outlets across 42 countries.

READ MORE: Three guilty of hunting down and killing Black jogger in US

Mr Swann is survived by his loving wife Kimberley Swann (nee Bunning) and their two young sons.

He comes from a rich vein of Australian technology entrepreneurship, with his father David Swann founding Swann Communications, now known as Swann Security.

Cygnett's CEO Paul Santoro said Mr Swann's energy was infectious to every person he met.

"Tim was a natural entrepreneur, a dynamic innovator and a visionary leader. He truly lived life to the fullest," says Santoro.

"Tim's incredible energy inspired everyone he met. His passion for business was only matched by his passion for his family and his lifelong appetite for skiing, watersports and travel."

READ MORE: France's warning of Australia's 'trust crisis' over submarines

Mr Swann's sister and Cygnett co-founder Sophie Swann said he was universally adored.

"Tim was a devoted and hands-on father and loving husband, a mentor and role model as an uncle and godfather, a respected and supportive son, a caring and nurturing brother and a steadfast and collaborative business partner," Ms Swann said.

"He was universally adored, a trusted friend to so many and will be so missed."

Toddler put on life support after being found unresponsive in home in Victoria's east

An investigation is underway after a toddler was found unresponsive in a home in Victoria's east and had to be put on life support.

Police say they are still searching for information as to how the 22-month-old girl received serious head injuries almost two weeks after she was rushed into intensive care.

Detective Senior Sergeant Geoffrey Rumble said the little girl's mother and the mother's friends took her to Latrobe Regional Hospital "in a very unresponsive state" about 10.45pm on Friday, November 12.

READ MORE: Search for man who allegedly squeezed Melbourne tram driver's throat

He said the toddler had been found at a house on Ashworth Drive, Traralgon where she had received serious head injuries.

The girl was quickly transferred to Monash Hospital in Melbourne and placed on life support.

Senior Sergeant Rumble said almost two weeks later, the girl continued to be in a "very serious but stable condition".

"We just hope the child does recover," he said.

"We've got real concerns about the injuries that the baby suffered."

It is unclear if the injuries will have a permanent or long-lasting impact on the girl's life.

Senior Sergeant Rumble said police were still establishing what had occurred and how the child was injured.

He has called for anyone with information about the incident, or anyone who was in the area that night, to contact police.

"We want to give some answers to the family as to what happened."

Police searched the house where the girl was injured on Tuesday, seizing several items.

Senior Sergeant Rumble said police had also spoken to a number of Traralgon residents as part of the investigation.

Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or log into www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.