Tag Archives: oceania

One new COVID-19 case in NT as mask mandate lifted

The Northern Territory has recorded one new COVID-19 case.

The case is a 31-year-old fully vaccinated Aboriginal woman who tested positive while already in quarantine.

The woman was not infectious while she was in the Robinson River remote community.

READ MORE: Large crowds building in Melbourne, Sydney for more protests

Northern Territory Chief Minister Michael Gunner confirmed two new COVID-19 cases today.

It comes as the territory's mask mandate was lifted at 11am Northern Territory time, except for the Katherine and Robinson River lockdown zones.

Chief Minister Michael Gunner said authorities are feeling "more confident" about the easing of mask restrictions, but are not being complacent.

"We are feeling better today about the chance to relax lockdowns," Mr Gunner said.

"I want to flag with people now. That does not mean they go straight from lockdown [to] no restrictions."

Travelling to the Northern Territory

Mr Gunner also outlined that from Monday, all arrivals entering the territory must be fully vaccinated.

Previously, if travellers were coming from a green zone they didn't need to be vaccinated.

But from Monday that will no longer be applicable.

Also from Monday, rapid antigen testing will be set up at all territory airports receiving interstate flights, along with available regional centres for arrivals by road.

DARWIN, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 23: QANTAS FLIGHT QF110 touches down at RAAF Base Darwin on October 23, 2020 in Darwin, Australia. Eight repatriation flights have been arranged to help Australians stuck overseas due to the COVID-19 pandemic and border closures return home. Passengers will be immediately taken to the Howard Springs facility for 14 days' mandatory quarantine. (Photo by Lisa McTiernan/Getty Images)

READ MORE: New $56m school opens in Sydney's south-west

A seven-day home quarantine requirement will also be in place from Monday for fully vaccinated people arriving from red zones with certain conditions.

These include needing to return a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of coming to the territory with proof of result, and taking a rapid antigen test at a territory airport or a regional centre.

The quarantine location must be a house, unit or apartment, or a hotel or Airbnb.

Travellers will get tested again on day five of quarantine and another the day after quarantine has been completed.

Home quarantine is scheduled to end five days before Christmas.

From December 20, all arrivals will have to undergo rapid antigen testing.

"If you're not a returning Territorian, you are eligible to be fully and you are not fully vaccinated, then you don't get to come to the Territory," Mr Gunner said .

"If you arrive at an airport, you'll be fined and put on a plane home.

"If you rock up at a road border, you'll be turned around. No ifs or buts."

Man charged over alleged sexual touching of two teenage girls

A man in Sydney's north-west has been charged over the alleged sexual touching of two teenage girls at a hairdresser.

On November 19, police arrested a 68-year-old man at Hornsby Police Station.

He was charged with sexually touching another person without consent and intentionally touching a child between the age of 10 and 16.

READ MORE: Police find burnt-out car in relation to public shooting in Sydney's south

A NSW Police station.

In May, police officers started an investigation after reports a 15-year-old girl had allegedly been sexually touched by a man while at a hairdressing salon in Asquith.

During the investigation, it was established a 17-year-old girl was also allegedly sexually touched by a man while at the hairdresser.

On November 11, detectives conducted an extensive search of the hairdressing salon and seized a computer and documentation.

The items will undergo more examination.

The man who was charged was granted strict conditional bail and is set to appear at Hornsby Local Court on December 15.

Investigations into the alleged touchings are continuing.

Police find burnt-out car in relation to public shooting in Sydney's south

Police are investigating the link between a burnt-out car and a public place shooting in Sydney's south overnight.

Officers were called to Queens Road, Connells Point, after reports that shots had been fired just after 9pm yesterday.

Bullet holes in a home and a vehicle parked in the driveway were found by police.

READ MORE: What the most in-demand jobs in Australia are right now

Police investigating public place shooting in Sydney's south.

The two men in the home were uninjured.

A crime scene was established and specialist police searched the surrounding areas.

Detective Superintendent Jason Box said a vehicle seen near the home was found half an hour later.

"A vehicle seen in the vicinity of the shooting was located in South Hurstville was found burnt out," he said.

During the search of the vehicle, police uncovered a number of registration plates believed to be stolen or fabricated.

READ MORE: Sydney petrol prices reach record-high and expected to continue climbing

A burnt out car was found nearby the scene of the shooting.

Superintendent Box said there is nothing to link the occupants of the home to conflict in the area or Sydney region.

"Nothing at all to suggest the two male occupants of that premises are linked in any conflict or targeted for any reason."

Superintendent Box added the two men in the home are lucky to be alive, and could not rule out that it was a mistaken location.

"These two men are very lucky with the number of shots fired into the premises," he said.

Police are looking at CCTV from the area to try and determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Investigations are continuing.

Anyone who has information is urged to contact Kogarah Police Station or Crime Stoppers.