OPINION: The debate rages on. Every day the media swamps us with stats about Covid: who’s infected, how they got infected, and to which hospital they’ve been admitted.Meantime, the other victims of this lockdown, the “collateral…
Tag Archives: oceania
Covid 19 Delta outbreak: New Covid case in Northland
Northland has recorded a new Covid-19 case today – the region’s third case since yesterday. The case is linked to the Kaitaia cluster and is a close contact of a person from that group, Northland DHB said in a statement at 2.42pm….
Police incident: Armed response in Henderson, Auckland after driver flees
Road spikes were used and armed police involved after the driver of a vehicle fled police in West Auckland this afternoon.Police tried to stop the vehicle on Great North Rd just before 2pm after the driver left a petrol station…
Thousands protest in Melbourne over COVID-19 vaccines and pandemic bill
Over 1000 people have marched down Bourke Street towards Melbourne's Parliament House to protest against the state's vaccine mandates and a proposed COVID-19 pandemic bill.
At times, protesters shouted "free Victoria" and "sack Dan Andrews" as they marched.
Many are displaying anger over the proposed bill that would allow COVID-19 rules to remain during global pandemics, rather than relying on state emergency powers.
READ MORE: Australia hits 80 per cent double dose milestone
People first started gathering in front of the State Library in Melbourne's CBD.
Many carried signs with anti-vaccination sentiments and some against the government reading "dangerous new legislation".
Melbourne police are at the scene.
A Victoria police spokesperson told 9News police are aware of the activity in Melbourne and that a high visible police presence will be there to ensure no COVID-19 breaches occur.
Herald afternoon quiz: November 6
Test your brains with the Herald’s afternoon quiz. Be sure to check back on nzherald.co.nz for the morning quiz tomorrow. To challenge yourself with more quizzes, CLICK HERE.
Covid-19 Delta outbreak: Mongrel Mob tangi attendees in Porirua 'encouraged' to get Covid test
A gang-led tangi in Porirua that led to four arrests this week has public health experts cautiously asking anyone who attended to get a Covid test.The funeral procession related to the Mongrel Mob passed through Porirua suburbs…
Thunder rolls: Wild weather kicks in for parts of Auckland
Auckland’s picturesque morning has turned dramatically for the worse this afternoon and early evening with severe thunderstorms hitting parts of the region.Parts of West Auckland have been hit hardest by a deluge of rain, plus thunder…
Young woman who arrived from Cairns is third positive COVID-19 case in NT
A new case of COVID-19 has been detected in the Northern Territory, the third in the territory's current cluster.
The new case is a 21-year-old woman who arrived in Darwin from Cairns on October 29.
She had been identified as a close contact of a previous case and tested positive last night, becoming symptomatic today.
READ MORE: Katherine lockdown after positive case
She was not fully vaccinated and had just one dose.
Genomic testing is now being conducted.
Wastewater results in Katherine and Greater Darwin have not yielded any positive COVID-19 results.
"Today is a good day. It's also a critical day," NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner said.
"We have not seen any spread beyond the very close contacts, good news, but there are still too many unknowns."
Yesterday the Territory recorded its second-highest day on record when it came to vaccinations.
READ MORE: The screening test saving babies in some states but not others
Katherine is now in a 72-hour snap lockdown.
In greater Darwin, a "lockout" is in effect.
All movement in and out of the capital is not allowed, and unvaccinated residents are subject to lockdown conditions.
Everyone living in either region must wear a mask when leaving the house, regardless of vaccination status.
Five arrested over alleged kidnapping in Sydney park
Five young Sydney men have been arrested after a 20-year-old was allegedly kidnapped last month.
The 20-year-old was allegedly confronted by two men at Gore Creek Reserve in Greenwich before being forced into a car at midday on October 14.
The man was threatened, assaulted and released, police said.
READ MORE: Tasmanian woman went to neighbour for help after triple shooting
Strike force detectives and tactical operations police arrested four men at a petrol station in West Ryde yesterday afternoon.
About the same time, a 24-year-old was arrested at a unit in Macquarie Park, and several items were seized that were allegedly relevant to the investigation.
He has been charged with five offences, including take/detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage, possession of an offensive weapon, drug supply, and knowingly dealing with proceeds of crime.
A 32-year-old man was taken to Chatswood Police Station where he was charged with take/detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage (conspiracy to commit offence).
READ MORE: Queensland records one new local COVID-19 case
A 31-year-old man was charged with take/detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage (conspiracy to commit offence), and a second charge of take/detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage.
And a 27-year-old man charged with take/detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage (conspiracy to commit offence).
All four were refused bail and will appear at Parramatta Local Court today.
The other man arrested at West Ryde has been taken to Westmead Hospital after a dog bite, and remains under police guard.
Queensland records one new local case in Goondiwindi
The Goondiwindi COVID-19 cluster has grown, with Queensland recording one new case overnight.
Queensland Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said a woman in her 20s had tested positive to the virus while in home quarantine but was believed to have spent a day in the community while infectious.
She is a close contact of an existing case in Goondiwindi.
READ MORE: Greta Thunberg slams COP26 as a 'failure' at youth protest in Glasgow
https://twitter.com/AnnastaciaMP/status/1456773663756148748?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Ms D'Ath said another woman in her 20s who flew to the Northern Territory has also tested positive.
NT health authorities are investigating if this is how the virus entered the region, sparking a lockdown of Katherine.
The woman was infectious while in Queensland.
https://twitter.com/JordanFabris9/status/1456773631585832963?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
"If any information does come forward that this person was positive on the flight or while in Cairns then we would certainly be listing any exposure sites," Ms D'Ath said.
Acting Chief Health Officer Dr Peter Aitken added the woman is being interviewed and will be able to provide more information after that.
However, he said at this stage it was "too early" to know whether she was infectious on the flight or in the community.
There were no immediate plans to lock down Goondiwindi following the infections, health authorities yesterday, as vaccination coverage in the area is stable.
Vaccination target
Queensland is inching closer to reaching the 80 per cent first dose vaccination milestone.
Currently, 79.07 per cent of the state's eligible residents have received the first dose of a vaccine, while 66.33 per cent are double dosed.
Dr Aitken said it was important the state gets closer to 70 per cent fully vaccinated.
"It doesn't hurt it doesn't take long. It's really easy to get close to enjoying life," Dr Aitken said.