Tag Archives: oceania

Lawyer for accused Easey Street double murderer raises ‘alternate suspect’

Detectives questioned an alternate suspect over the Easey Street double murder almost 50 years ago and "had no doubt" he had killed the two women, a defence lawyer claims.

The bodies of Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, were found by a neighbour inside their home in Melbourne's Collingwood on January 13, 1977.

Details of the killings and near-50-year journey, before police extradited accused killer Perry Kouroumblis from Italy to face the two murder charges and one rape charge, were aired in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

LIVE UPDATES: Hurricane Melissa makes landfall in Jamaica

Easey Street murder accused Perry Kouroumblis, depicted in a court sketch at Melbourne Magistrates Court on October 29, 2025.

Bartlett was found fully clothed with 55 stab wounds, lying near the entrance to Armstrong's bedroom, prosecutor Zubin Menon told the court.

Her housemate and long-term friend Armstrong was found on her bedroom floor with a polka-dot nightie pulled above her chest, pools of blood under her head and shoulders, and semen stains on the carpet underneath, he said.

She had suffered 29 stab wounds and had allegedly been raped.

Neighbour Janet Powell saw a dog belonging to the two women wander into her front yard about 5pm on January 11, Menon said.

Powell knocked on the door but there was no answer, so she took the animal inside and returned to knock eight times, before placing a note on their front door saying she had their dog.

Three more people visited the house between January 11 and 13, including Ross Hammond, an acquaintance of Bartlett who had met her a week before, who knocked but there was no answer.

Menon said Hammond went around the side of the house on the evening of January 11, wrote a note for Bartlett and left.

A man who had gone on a blind date with Armstrong, Barry Woodard, visited on January 12 after calling her with no answer, and he left a note on the kitchen table.

Each of these people are expected to give evidence to a committal hearing over the deaths.

READ MORE: First lady plagued by 'deep anxiety' over false claims she's a man

Menon said Kouroumblis, then aged 17, was interviewed by police the day after the women's bodies were found.

He alleged officers searched a vehicle and found a knife inside the boot, and Kouroumblis gave differing accounts to police and his friends about how he got it.

The prosecutor claimed he told police he found the knife on the ground but told a friend he had stolen the knife.

He said Kouroumblis was living 230 metres away from the Easey Street home with his family.

Kouroumblis was spoken to again about the double killing in January 2017, and had agreed to give a voluntary DNA sample but then refused and left Australia for Greece in May of that year, he alleged.

Menon revealed police seized a "tissue sample" from Kouroumblis in 2018 after searching his vehicle and used this to compare against evidence from the crime scene.

DNA found on a towel, which contained blood, a lamp shade and semen found at the scene was "100 billion times more likely to observe those results if the accused was a contributor", Menon alleged.

Kouroumblis' defence team will question the admissibility of forensic evidence that had been preserved for almost five decades, as well as how their client's DNA was collected.

His barrister Dermot Dann KC said Kouroumblis would plead not guilty to the murders if the case went to trial and he would apply to have the rape charge thrown out at the end of the committal hearing.

"In issue is the identity of the person or persons responsible for the tragic and brutal deaths of Ms Armstrong and Ms Bartlett," he said.

"There is evidence of an alternate suspect being interviewed by police in 1977, when these events were fresh in the minds of homicide detectives.

"They had no doubt the alternate suspect was the person who killed Ms Armstrong and Ms Bartlett."

The committal continues.

Brisbane man jailed after planning to help overthrow Syrian government

A 35-year-old man from Brisbane's south has been sentenced to six years in prison for preparing to travel to Syria and help overthrow the government.

He was sentenced to six years behind bars with a non-parole period of four years and six months yesterday in the Queensland Supreme Court.

A joint investigation conducted by the Queensland Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) found that between July 2016 and February 2017 the man undertook multiple activities attempting to enter Syria to help fight to overthrow the Bashar al-Assad-led government.

LIVE UPDATES: Hurricane Melissa makes landfall in Jamaica

Syrian President Bashar Assad speaks during an interview with Iran's Al Alam TV, in Damascus, Syria

This included lodging an Australian passport application and researching flights from Brisbane to Türkiye, where he planned to cross the Turkish border illegally and enter Syria. 

In May and June 2018, a search warrant was executed at the man's Kuraby home, where several items that were consistent with preparations to fight in Syria were found.

The items included a USB containing electronic copies of publications related to hostile activities, including books on guerrilla warfare, guides for building explosives, as well as multiple issues of a magazine produced by al-Qaeda.

Devices with content related to extremism, martyrdom and jihad were also seized.

On June 30, 2018, the man was arrested and charged with three counts of making preparations for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities.

He entered a guilty plea on May 30, 2024.

READ MORE: First lady plagued by 'deep anxiety' over false claims she's a man

Confetti and flowers are dropped from a military helicopter onto a crowd during a celebration marking the 10th anniversary of the victory of rebel forces over Bashar al-Assad's army in Idlib, Syria

AFP Assistant Commissioner Stephen Nutt said the AFP were targeting violent extremism, whether it was planned to happen in Australia or overseas.

"The AFP holds a great focus on protecting Australia and Australians from acts of domestic terrorism, but we are also watchful of people here at home who wish to engage in violent activity on foreign soil," Assistant Commissioner Nutt said.

"We denounce violence in all its forms, and our investigators pursue matters tenaciously to ensure people who wish to commit acts of violent extremism here or overseas are put before the courts."

"I'd like to acknowledge the thorough work undertaken by all of the officers involved to gather and analyse the available evidence in this matter and bring criminal charges," Queensland Police Service Assistant Commissioner Charysse Pond said.

"This result is a credit to the hard work and commitment of the Queensland Joint Counter Terrorism Team to keeping the community safe."

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

‘Won’t lead to humanity’s demise’: Bill Gates makes major climate call

Bill Gates has called for governments, investors, activists and scientists to change their approach to the climate crisis ahead of next month's COP30 summit in Brazil.

In a post on his personal website, the Microsoft founder said that the "doomsday view" of climate change – that it will "decimate civilisation" – is wrong.

"Although climate change will have serious consequences – particularly for people in the poorest countries – it will not lead to humanity's demise," he wrote. 

READ MORE: Minister to investigate after year 12s taught wrong subject for final exam

Bill Gates intends on giving away most of his wealth before he dies.

"People will be able to live and thrive in most places on Earth for the foreseeable future. 

"Emissions projections have gone down, and with the right policies and investments, innovation will allow us to drive emissions down much further."

Gates said that, because of that view, there was an overwhelming focus on short-term emissions reduction targets, which is diverting resources away from measures he claimed are more cost-effective at improving people's lives.

Pointing to a need for greater innovation – particularly to remove the "green premium", or the extra cost associated with using zero-emissions products – and to better measure the impact of climate initiatives, he wrote that next month's UN climate conference was a perfect opportunity to change approach.

READ MORE: Rate cut hopes dealt massive blow as inflation surges again

Cracks run through the partially dried-up river bed of the Gan River, during a drought in Nanchang, Jiangxi province, China, August 28, 2022.

"This is a chance to refocus on the metric that should count even more than emissions and temperature change: improving lives," he said. 

"Our chief goal should be to prevent suffering, particularly for those in the toughest conditions who live in the world's poorest countries.

"Although climate change will hurt poor people more than anyone else, for the vast majority of them it will not be the only or even the biggest threat to their lives and welfare. 

"The biggest problems are poverty and disease, just as they always have been.

"Understanding this will let us focus our limited resources on interventions that will have the greatest impact for the most vulnerable people."

READ MORE: Seven million Aussies don't know they're sitting on enormous pile of cash

Gates, who was previously the world's richest man and currently has a net worth of about $US122 billion ($185 billion), has invested more than $100 billion into charitable causes, and has previously pledged to give away the majority of his fortune before he dies.

Much of his philanthropic work has focused on initiatives such as malaria prevention and climate adaptation, and he stressed in his post that rising global temperatures was still a crucial issue that needs to be urgently addressed.

"It needs to be solved, along with other problems like malaria and malnutrition," Gates wrote.

"Every tenth of a degree of heating that we prevent is hugely beneficial because a stable climate makes it easier to improve people's lives…

"Climate change, disease, and poverty are all major problems. We should deal with them in proportion to the suffering they cause.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.