Police tracked the vehicle for more than an hour across West Auckland.
Tag Archives: oceania
Man arrested after allegedly harassing Aussie cricketers in India
A man has been accused of harassing and inappropriately touching two players from the Australian women's cricket team in the Indian city of Indore.
The two players, whose identities have not been revealed, were walking from their hotel to a cafe when they were allegedly followed by a man on a motorbike, who then touched them inappropriately.
The incident was quickly reported by Cricket Australia, and Akil Khan was arrested after local police used CCTV to track him down.
READ MORE: Louvre jewellery heist investigators make a stunning claim
He sustained injuries in custody, suffering a suspected broken arm and broken leg and was paraded in front of cameras by police.
Police told local media he had been arrested and charged under sections 74 and 78 of the criminal code, covering using criminal force against a woman with the intent to outrage her modesty, and stalking.
The incident triggered national outrage and sparked debate surrounding whether travelling teams were safe enough in India.
Politicians have blamed each other for a lack of law and order in the city of Indore, in the country's central west.
READ MORE: Man injured during alleged violent home invasion
State Minister Kailash Vijayvargiya called the alleged attack a stain on the country's image, whilst another tried to reassure the public by pointing to Khan's arrest.
The incident was described by Devajit Saiaka of the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) as "condemnable but stray", and said it would review security protocols surrounding travelling teams.
Australia is currently ranked number one in the world, and the team was in Indore for an important Women's World Cup match against South Africa at Holkar Stadium.
The Australians easily defeated South Africa and advanced to the semi-finals, where they will take on India.
DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Teen found stabbed after group allegedly brings machetes to rugby event
Another teenager has been stabbed on the streets of Melbourne with a machete, this time outside an NRL Harmony tournament in Broadmeadows.
That same tournament was tormented by machete wielding thugs on Friday night.
A 19-year-old man was found with stab wounds to his torso on the corner of Kitchener and Goulburn Street in Broadmeadows in the city's north about 9.35pm on Saturday.
READ MORE: Principal's warning to parents over dangers of AI chatbot relationships
He was taken to hospital with serious injuries and is now in a stable condition.
"I saw one brave man who took off his shirt and was applying on the victim's leg. It looks like one of the spectators," witness Ahmet Ozkaya told 9News.com.au
Police are investigating, but are being hindered by the 19-year-old.
"At this time he's been uncooperative," Detective Sergeant Matthew Feban said.
Police had earlier been called to a brawl on Friday at a community NRL event at Seabrook Reserve.
Police suspect the two events are linked.
It is alleged a large group of armed teenagers were fighting at the event around 9.30pm.
Witnesses told police some of the group had machetes.
They have been described as all being aged in their late teens.
The group left the scene before police arrived.
Around 1000 people, including families with young children, were at the sporting event.
The Harmony Cup is a three day tournament that's supposed to celebrate culture and diversity.
READ MORE: Trump threatens to hike Canadian tariffs in extraordinary rant
Detective Sergeant Matthew Feben told media it was an "appalling" to have weapons at a family event.
"It is completely unacceptable in any location for youths or anyone to be armed with a machete, especially being related to a peaceful community event," Feben said.
"These are people just trying to go about an event in their community, they want to feel safe.
"They don't want to experience this, they are no doubt feeling now in fear and distress."
Victoria's opposition leader Brett Battin laid blame at the feet of Premier Jacinta Allan, who he claims isn't doing enough to keep Melburnians safe as crime continues.
"Jacinta Allan can't continue to say it's safe here in Victoria, when people are getting stabbed in the streets," he said.
Police are still trying to locate the offenders, and their search is being hampered by the fact so many people were at the event, with many fleeing in different vehicles in different directions.
It happened 10 metres from one of Victoria's machete bins, and police insist the government's ban is working.
The state's machete amnesty ends on November 30.
Police say over the past 12 months 13,000 knives and other edged weapons have been seized which equates to about 47 weapons per day.
Anyone who witnessed the incidents should contact police or CrimeStoppers.
DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
NZ’s Urban Polo edges out Australian competition as rival Janek Gazecki cancels Polo in the City events
F3 Polo now holds the key grounds and title of Australia’s premier urban polo event.
501 deportee Matthew Lemalu jailed for Onehunga, Auckland, manslaughter of Anthony Rangi
Matthew Lemalu fired his gun at Anthony Rangi as he advanced with a crowbar in hand.
Lotto: 18 players win $25k each in Second Division – where were tickets sold?
First Division Powerball was not won and has now jumped to $30 million.
Man charged with murder after 58-year-old woman stabbed to death in WA
A man has been charged with murder after a 58-year-old woman died in hospital after being stabbed in Western Australia.
Emergency services were called to a house on Frederick St in Broome in the state's north on Friday night after reports a woman had suffered serious injuries.
The woman had stab wounds to her neck, and was rushed to Broome Hospital.
READ MORE: Louvre jewellery heist investigators make a stunning claim
She died in hospital on Saturday.
Police allege the pair argued which led to the man stabbing the woman multiple times with a knife.
A 56-year-old-man was charged with one count of Aggravated Grievous Bodily Harm at the time, and was taken into custody.
READ MORE: Man injured during alleged violent home invasion
It is believed the stabbing is family violence-related.
After the woman died, the man's charges were upgraded, and he was charged with one count of murder.
The man remains in custody and will appear before Perth Magistrates Court today.
DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
One person dies following motorbike accident on Waiheke Island, Auckland
A three-wheeled motorbike reportedly crashed into a tree.
Foreign worker forced to leave NZ after Rotorua immigration adviser’s failures in residency case
He had to leave a good job and sell his assets before relocating overseas.
Truckers call for faster crash investigations after SH1 closure near Ward
Truckers say nine-hour SH1 closure shows the cost of current crash rules.