Tag Archives: oceania

‘Little bastard done it’: inquest hears father’s claim

The father of the only person charged over a brutal outback triple murder died believing the "little bastard done it", a coroner has heard.

The shocking claim was made during the reopened inquest into the murders of Karen Edwards, 23, Tim Thomson, 31, and Gordon Twaddle, 21, in the Queensland outback in 1978. 

The three friends were on a motorbike adventure, on their way home to Melbourne for the Christmas holidays.

READ MORE: Man appears to point gun at police during dramatic arrest in Melbourne CBD

Karen Edwards, Gordon Twaddle and Tim Thomson were shot dead while on a motorbike adventure.

The adventure ended in horrific violence, and the trio's decomposing bodies were discovered in bushland at Spear Creek, 12 kilometres north of Mount Isa, in October 1978.

All three had been shot in the head.

For almost five decades, the crime has remained unsolved, but a new probe by Queensland coroner David O'Connell hopes to finally solve the mystery.

Part of the reopened inquest has focused on the former accused Bruce John Preston.

He has been linked to the investigation from almost the beginning after being caught in possession of Thomson's missing red BMW motorbike a month after the murders.

Preston initially claimed he bought the bike secondhand, but later pleaded guilty to stealing the BMW and copped a $300 fine. 

Cold case detectives charged Preston with three counts of murder in 2019, only to drop the case in 2023.

His older brother, on Tuesday, told the court Preston was a member of the Black Uhlans outlaw bikie gang at the time of the murders.

"I recall his nickname in those circles was Pedro, and reading that name on his jacket," Ian Preston said.

As questioning continued, Ian Preston was threatened with perjury before being granted indemnity against future prosecution over fears his brother was involved in the murders. 

"I was concerned that such a thing had happened initially, and in some way, shape or form, that my brother may have been implicated in it, by virtue of the fact that what went on in Mount Isa at the time," he said. 

He said he had discussed the case with his family, but denied evidence that his father, who has since died, admitted that Bruce Preston was the killer. 

"The little bastard done it, but he's a tough little bastard – they can't break him," the inquest was told father Arthur Preston had claimed.

Ian Preston said that while his father was a hard man, and it was language he would have used, he denied first-hand knowledge of the admission.

He conceded the entire family were hunters and very familiar with guns, describing his brother as a "crack" shot. 

Despite being in ill health, the court has ordered Bruce Preston to appear in person to give evidence on Tuesday. 

The last known sighting of the three friends was at the Moondarra Caravan Park in Mount Isa on October 5 in the company of a man driving a brown and white Toyota Land Cruiser. 

Post-mortems revealed all three had been executed with a bullet to the head fired from a .22 calibre weapon.

The hearing has accepted the cause of death findings that Edwards, Thomson and Twaddle had been shot in October 1978.

The inquest set down for nine days will hear from up to 40 witnesses as it traces the trio's outback journey and explores events at the Lake Moondarra caravan park.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Rabbitohs player charged over alleged domestic violence incident

Rabbitohs winger Tyrone Munro has been charged over an alleged domestic violence incident earlier this year.

Police told 9News that an investigation began yesterday after a 24-year-old woman alleged she had been assaulted by her partner in Homebush in April.

Munro was arrested later that same day and taken to Auburn Police Station, where he was charged with the domestic violence offences of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, stalk/intimidate intend fear physical etc harm and common assault.

READ MORE: Popular Sydney beach trials leash-free dog area

The South Sydney Rabbitohs released a statement this evening confirming it was aware of the allegations and informed the NRL Integrity Unit.

"The Rabbitohs take all allegations of domestic violence very seriously and will take appropriate action if the allegations and charges are proven," the club said.

"As this is a police matter, the Rabbitohs will be making no further comment at this stage."

Munro has been granted conditional bail and will face Burwood Local Court on October 30.

The winger has been described as one of the club's most promising junior talents and has scored 13 tries in his short career.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

No evidence found as ADF joins fresh search for missing Gus

No evidence has been recovered in a fresh search today for missing four-year-old Gus Lamont despite more than 80 soldiers joining the case.

Gus was last seen about 5pm on Saturday, September 27 at his family's homestead Oak Park Station in remote South Australia, about 40km south of Yunta.

The search was called off earlier this month after no trace of Gus was found during a intensive six-day search.

READ MORE: 'Warm and loving' teen killed on way to school was days from starting his first job

Missing four-year-old Gus

READ MORE: Whip-sawing temperatures to see millions bake while others freeze

Police today resumed the search and launched Taskforce Horizon to investigate Gus' disappearance.

Eighteen police officers, 84 Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel, 33 cars, SES resources, drones and utility terrain vehicles were used are to scour the remote terrain in SA's mid-north today.

The coordinated search has progressed in zones "outside of the original search area", police said.

The search will resume tomorrow, however hot weather is expected to restrict authorities on Thursday.

SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said today no stone would be left unturned in the search for Gus.

"We are dedicated to making sure we do everything we possibly can to bring Gus back to his family," Stevens said.

The fresh search was not triggered by any new information, Stevens said.

He said police were returning to the property to extend their search following specialist advice.

"We are looking for up to two days but there will be a continual reassessment," Stevens said.

"The resources that we're deploying may change over time and the use of specialist drones will be another consideration as we move forward as well."

Missing four-year-old Gus Lamont in SA

The search area covered so far has been around 470 square kilometres.

Stevens emphasised the sheer magnitude of the search area and said it was like combing through "100 Adelaide CBDs".

"We are searching in quite unusual terrain, it is a significant effort," he said.

"We're exhausting every opportunity to recover Gus."

Taskforce Horizon consists of 12 specialists who will analyse information and suggest different areas to search.

READ MORE: Joy, relief and jubilation as Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners and detainees given freedom

Missing four-year-old Gus Lamont in SA

The results from the thermal drone cameras were yet to be analysed but Stevens admitted police were not hopeful it would yield any information.

Stevens said the ongoing search will be coordinated "like any other police operation".

He told reporters there is nothing to suggest foul play in Gus' disappearance.

Police have received more than 150 Crime Stoppers tips since Gus went missing, but warn online speculation has been hurtful to Gus' family.

His family have said in a statement they are "devastated" and "deeply distressed" by his disappearance.

"I would describe them as stoic," Stevens added.

"But you can imagine just how they are feelings, without having Gus and without having answers to exactly where Gus is and what's happened to him.

"This would be traumatic for any family."

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.