Tag Archives: oceania

Four dead hostages returned to Israel with psalm and flag ceremony

Coffins containing the bodies of four hostages seized by Hamas in their October 7, 2023 attack on Israel have returned home overnight.

The coffins of the four dead hostages are now in Israel, according to police, and being escorted by the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) and the Israel Security Agency (ISA) to be formally identified at the National Institute of Forensic Medicine in Tel Aviv.

After identification, their families will be notified immediately, the IDF and ISA said in a joint statement overnight.

READ MORE: Tears across Israel as living hostages reunite with families

Hamas said earlier that it would return the bodies of hostages Daniel Peretz, Yossi Sharabi, Guy Illouz, and Bipin Joshi on Monday local time.

Before crossing into Israeli territory, the IDF soldiers staged a ceremony in which they draped the hostages' coffins with Israeli flags, saluted them, and recited a chapter from the Book of Psalms, according to their statement.

In previous instances where bodies were returned, a DNA analysis was performed to confirm the identities of the people.

READ MORE: Palestinians celebrate as prisoners are released by Israel

https://x.com/IDF/status/1977800992872898603

While the hostage families did not expect all of the bodies to return on Monday, the Hostages and Missing Families Forum said previously it had been "were shocked and dismayed" by the news only four would be released.

Under the agreement brokered by the US, Hamas and its allies were meant to release all of the remaining hostages, alive and dead, within 72 hours of the ceasefire being announced.

However, CNN reported last week that Israel assessed that Hamas may not be able to find and return all the remaining dead hostages in Gaza.

READ MORE: Trump claims heroic role as final living Israeli hostages freed

An international committee will help locate the bodies that Hamas may be unable to find, Shosh Bedrosian, a spokesperson for Israel's Prime Minister's Office said Sunday.

It is unclear what that taskforce will look like at this time.

"The Prime Minister (Benjamin Netanyahu) insists that we will act to locate all of these hostages as soon as possible, and we will do that as a sacred duty of communal responsibility," Bedrosian said.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Tears across Israel as living hostages reunite with families

It was a day of joy and tears across Israel. Families, loved ones and friends watched as Hamas released the last living hostages held captive for more than two years in the Gaza Strip.

On day 738 since Alon Ohel was taken hostage, family and friends of the young music lover jumped to their feet, cheered, blew into shofars — traditional horns that announce glad tidings — and hugged each other when they saw his picture on a livestream among the seven hostages Hamas first released to the Red Cross on Monday morning (Monday evening AEDT).

"This is the best morning in my life. I just want to hug him," Ohel's cousin, Noam Rozen, 24, said before choking up.

READ MORE: For some, saving hostages means freeing militants who killed loved ones

https://x.com/IDF/status/1977688830938693690

By midday, 13 more hostages were freed, bringing the final number of the living hostages released to 20.

With other members of his family, and dozens of supporters cheering, Rozen took down one of the hostage posters that had long been hanging by the village's entrance and replaced it with a banner saying in Hebrew: "Welcome back home — the heart returned to beating and now we can breathe."

The wait on a Galilee hilltop village

Hundreds had been packing the small community centre of the hilltop village of Lavon in the Galilee since before dawn for one of the most important days of their lives — when the last 20 living hostages were scheduled to be released, first to the Red Cross and then to the Israeli military, as part of a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war.

"I told God many months ago, 'If Alon is coming home, I bring shofar and I say thank you for this,'" said Yaniv Shema Zion, who's known Ohel since he was a toddler.

Wearing T-shirts emblazoned with pictures of Ohel, people from Lavon waved flags, sang hymns, hugged and wiped away tears before falling silent in front of the projected screen carrying images from Gaza of the release.

READ MORE: Thousands of Palestinians return to what remains of their homes

https://www.facebook.com/idfonline/posts/pfbid02QgXWwquruCcWVRxwWnWVhkXJ9ByA54ZAaX41jKzn8N7PyZhzQQPyYUTJTRqg6vd6l?__cft__



"Knowing Alon, there was no chance not to get him back with us," his aunt, Nirit Ohel said, though she added the family was still worried about his health.

Alon Ohel had had shrapnel in his eye from the October 7, 2023 attack on the bomb shelter in southern Israel where he had sought refuge.

People in Lavon jumped on chairs and shouted with joy when the first images of Ohel were broadcast, showing him thin but smiling.

People in Tel Aviv's Hostages Square sobbed as photos of the hostages reuniting with their families flashed on the large screens. The names and faces of the hostages and their families have become household names across Israel over the past two years.

Endless days in chains

Ohel was kidnapped at the Nova music festival from a mobile bomb shelter along with Hersh Goldberg-Polin, an American-Israeli who was killed in captivity in August 2024.

Eli Sharabi, another hostage held with Ohel and released in a previous ceasefire said they were kept chained, with only a moldy pita bread per day for food.

READ MORE: Trump says Israel and Hamas agree to 'first phase' of Gaza peace deal

Ohel became a symbol of the hostage crisis because of his piano playing. At his mother's initiative, pianos in his honour appeared across the country, including next to Jerusalem's city hall and in Tel Aviv's square devoted to the hostages.

"She wanted people to play and through it, to send their love to him," Nirit Ohel said.

Another of Ohel's aunts, Einat Rozen, said she was finally able to feel joy again, and praised the community's support.

"Our community was with us all the time," she said, tears streaming down her face.

The hostages' plight

The fate of the 251 hostages taken by Hamas-led militants in the attack on southern Israel just over two years ago, has weighed on every aspect of daily life in this country.

Hostage posters and stickers are plastered everywhere — from seaside promenades to countryside bus stops — and many Israelis have been wearing yellow ribbons on their lapels, their wrists, their cars and their gardens for more than two years.

Weekly vigils and protests were held in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and small communities like the Ohels' home of Lavon — 230 families in northern Galilee — bonded together to help the hostages' relatives. Tens of thousands gathered to watch news of the release.

The country erupted with joy on Monday morning when the first group of the last 20 living hostages still held in Gaza were seen being transferred to the Red Cross as part of the ceasefire deal.

"I think what you are seeing here, the people that are celebrating in the square, something for me that is very Israeli, to see so many people gathering around to celebrate not the death of our enemies but the life of our people, of Israeli people,״ Gili Roman said as he and tens of thousands of others celebrated in Tel Aviv.

His sister Yarden Roman-Gat was freed from Gaza during the first ceasefire in November 2023 but his sister-in-law Carmel Gat was killed in captivity last year.

A long journey

It's the first step on a long journey to healing for the hostages, whose condition wasn't immediately known. Another 28 who are believed deceased are also to be handed over to Israel as part of the deal, although when wasn't clear.

Many Israelis feel that the country won't fully begin to recover from its collective trauma until their remains are brought back as well, bringing closure to their families too.

Ruby Chen, father of Itay Chen, who is believed to be dead, said those with relatives who aren't coming home alive will urge US President Donald Trump not to forget them.

"The hostage families meeting President Trump today will express from the bottom of their heart their sincere gratitude," Chen said. "However we will also highlight the mission is not complete and we will not be able to begin to rehabilitate without the last deceased hostage returned to his family."

For observant Jews, Monday held an extra special meaning.

Both the October 7, 2023, attack and the release of hostages overlapped with the Jewish people's celebration of the holiday of Simchat Torah, which marks the beginning of a new annual cycle of the reading of the scrolls. It is one of the most joyous days of the Jewish calendar, with festive dancing around a Torah.

The war began when Hamas-led militants stormed into Israel on October 7, 2023, killing some 1200 people and taking 251 as hostages.

In Israel's ensuing offensive, more than 67,600 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza, according to Gaza's Health Ministry, which doesn't differentiate between civilians and combatants but says around half the deaths were women and children. The ministry is part of the Hamas-run government, and the UN and many independent experts consider its figures to be the most reliable estimate of wartime casualties.

YouTube cites Troye Sivan as reason for exemption from social media ban

Google has claimed Australia's impending social media ban for kids under 16 could make children less safe by removing parental controls.

The tech giant has not given up on its push for a YouTube exemption to the laws, which come into effect on December 10.

All child accounts active on that date would be disabled, but kids would still be able to watch without an account.

READ MORE: The simple $20 billion mistake nearly all of us are making

"Forcing kids to use YouTube without an account removes the very parental controls and safety filters built to protect them," Rachel Lord, Google and YouTube's public policy and government affairs manager, told a Senate committee.

"It's also the ability of parents to set up supervised accounts for their children."

Lord said the restrictions also prevent a career path for emerging stars such as Troye Sivan, who found fame on YouTube.

"You don't need to look too hard to find Australian success stories that started their career on YouTube," Lord said.

Troye Sivan

Nicola Palfrey from Headspace said while young people were unsure of what would happen on December 10, at least a third were sure they would get around the restrictions.

Despite YouTube's plea to the Senate, Communications Minister Anika Wells today told executives from social media giants Meta, Snapchat, YouTube and Tiktok there will be no exemptions and the platforms will be expected to facilitate the new restrictions.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Child drowns in neighbour’s backyard pool in Adelaide

A young child has drowned in a neighbour's pool after going missing this morning.

Emergency services were called to May Street in Woodville West, Adelaide after the child was reported missing at 11am.

Officers in the police helicopter spotted the child in the neighbour's pool.

READ MORE: The simple $20 billion mistake nearly all of us are making

The search for a missing child has ended in tragedy after police discovered the child in the neighbour's pool. Emergency services were called to May Street in Woodville West after the child was reported missing at 11am today.

Paramedics responded within minutes and performed CPR but the child could not be saved.

Residents of the street said they were heartbroken.

"It doesn't happen in this area, it's tragic," Joshua Czerkies said.

"You don't think this kind of tragedy happens, not in your area, but just a really sad day for those involved," Sam Viola said.

Police said the pool had all safety precautions in place.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Guard dogs menaced worker before meter reader killed

Two notoriously aggressive guard dogs menaced a worker days before mauling a meter reader to death at a remote property, an inquest has been told.

Kane Minion, 42, was working for Energy Queensland around Christmas in 2022 when he was fatally attacked at an equipment hire property at Greenbank, south of Brisbane.

Almost three years later, his devastated fiancee Toni Baird, family and friends attended an inquest seeking closure.

LIVE UPDATES: First Israeli hostages released

Kane Minion, 42, was working for Energy Queensland around Christmas in 2022 when he was fatally attacked at an equipment hire property at Greenbank, south of Brisbane.

READ MORE: The simple $20 billion mistake nearly all of us are making

"They have been looking for answers for a very long time now … hopefully, this marks the beginning of the end," Baird's lawyer Travis Schultz said outside Southport's Coroners Court today.

Loved ones packed the court for the inquest's first day, with a photo of a smiling Minion featuring on coroner Amanda Bain's desk.

"They really do hope that this brings about change, meaningful change to ensure that frontline workers are protected and that this never happens again," Schultz said.

The dogs involved in the attack, a bull mastiff and a ridgeback, were kept behind two security fences at the company Springfield Hire, owned by the Morrow family.

The animals were described as "fiercely protective", with visitors told not to enter without prior notice and a warning sign placed at the property's front entrance.

Technician Brian Harnett had been working at Action Pumps when he was called to Springfield Hire to replace a repaired pump days before the fatal attack.

READ MORE: Perth family's heartbreak after dogs stabbed on morning walk

The company had called ahead to ask owners Dean and Paula Morrow to ensure the dogs were secure and were assured that they would be put away.

"We were warned already about the dogs … it was a known thing that the dogs weren't friendly," Harnett said.

It was only after letting himself through the first security gate Harnett realised the dogs had not been secured.

"I looked up and they were rushing toward me," he said.

"It was only a couple of seconds before they were at my car door barking and mouthing at the window."

Harnett honked his horn to raise the alarm before Morrow's teenage son, Zane, arrived to curb the canines.

"He apologised and said he forgot to put the dogs away."

The technician chose not to report the incident to police or animal control officers.

A man has died after a dog attack in Queensland this morning.

"I considered it, but in that line of work, we have incidents quite often. I thought if I did (report it), it would become a big problem for everybody,'' he said.

"It was a genuine mistake. In hindsight, maybe I should have."

Owner Dean Morrow said there were a number of dogs at the property, but they were "more like family pets" than guard dogs.

He denied the animals were aggressive, dismissing the attack on the pump technician as "nothing major".

Under questioning, he said the "Guard Dogs On Duty Do Not Enter" warning sign had been placed on the front gate for public safety.

"The sign was to give notification and remind people coming around that we had dogs on site – pet dogs," Morrow said.

"They would bark at people and make them feel uncomfortable."

Earlier, the court had been told Minion had been a meter reader for seven years and had received dog safety training.

The court was told the Morrows had been advised by email the meter reader needed to attend the property and the dogs should be secured.

But Morrow relied on his wife Paula to advise him of visitors to the property and pair's relationship had broken down.

Outside the court, Morrow refused to answer questions about the fatal attack or apologise to Minion's family.

What La Niña declaration could mean for Australian weather

Weather pattern La Niña was announced last week by America's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The advisory stated "La Niña conditions are present and favored to persist through December 2025 – February 2026, with a transition to ENSO-neutral likely in January-March 2026."

And it could be set to affect Australian weather.

READ MORE: The simple $20 billion mistake nearly all of us are making

According to Weatherzone, the system could bring cloud, rain and cooler temperatures.

"Moderate-to-strong La Niña events that occur during late spring and early summer typically enhance cloud and rainfall and suppress daytime temperatures over large areas of Australia, particularly northern, central and eastern parts of the country," Weatherzone said.

"However, the influence of weak or borderline La Niña episodes is less predictable."

But while Weatherzone experts say a La Niña-like pattern has become established in the Pacific Ocean in recent weeks, its expected to be short-lived and relatively weak.

That means it may not have a strong influence on Australia's weather in the coming months.

READ MORE: Israeli hostages on cusp of freedom as Trump heads to Middle East

Other climate drivers are expected to have a bigger effect, including abnormally warm sea surface temperatures closer to Australia

However, last month BOM forecasters said large parts of Australia are now more likely to end the year with a moisture-laden La Niña weather pattern.

Climate change and the rapid warming of oceans has forced the Bureau of Meteorology to revise its analysis for the two major weather patterns: El Nino and La Nina.

The former brings warmer conditions while La Niña leads to increased cloud and rain.

Both weather patterns are influenced by sea temperatures in the tropical Pacific Ocean.

What is La Niña

La Niña is a natural climate pattern marked by cooler than average water temperatures in the equatorial Pacific that also leads to changes in upper atmosphere patterns — together, these influence weather globally.

READ MORE: Perth family's heartbreak after dogs stabbed on morning walk

However, while Weatherzone experts say a La Niña-like pattern has become established in the Pacific Ocean in recent weeks, its expected to be short-lived and relatively weak.

Forecasters closely monitor La Niña and its counterpart El Niño because they influence weather in a way that's largely consistent and predictable well in advance, especially when the patterns are strong.

They exert the most influence during winter in the Northern Hemisphere, but that sway fades during other seasons, allowing other atmospheric influences to seep in.

The upcoming La Nina looks to be on the weaker end of the spectrum, which could also affect how clear-cut its influence becomes.

– with CNN