Tag Archives: oceania

Indigenous teen’s accused murderers plead not guilty

WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are advised the following article contains images and names of a person who has died.

Four people accused of murdering an Indigenous teenager have formally pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Cassius Turvey, a 15-year-old Noongar Yamatji boy, died in a Perth hospital 10 days after an incident as he walked home from school with friends on October 13, 2022.

Brodie Lee Palmer, 29, Mitchell Colin Forth, 26, Jack Steven James Brearley, 23, and Aleesha Louise Gilmore, 22, pleaded not guilty in the WA Supreme Court on Monday.

READ MORE: Woolies workers picket distribution centre in Melbourne as shelves remain bare

Cassius Turvey, a 15-year-old Noongar Yamatji boy, was allegedly chased down and attacked with a metal pole as he was walking with friends.

Chief Justice Peter Quinlan will preside over the high-profile trial that is scheduled to start on February 10, with the matter returning to court for pre-trial hearings on January 30 and 31.

The group was also arraigned over several other charges they are facing at the trial.

Brearley, Forth and another man named Ethan Robert MacKenzie, 20, pleaded not guilty to unlawfully detaining and assaulting another boy on October 9, 2022. MacKenzie will stand trial at the same time as the other accused. Gilmore denied unlawfully detaining the same teen on that day.

Brearley, Forth, Gilmore and MacKenzie denied unlawfully detaining a third person on that day.

READ MORE: Andrew and Gemma have tried everything to keep the cost of their wedding down – and they're not alone

CAssius Turvey memorial

Forth pleaded guilty to stealing a hat and crutches on October 13, 2022. Brearley and Palmer denied the stealing charge. Brearly, Palmer, Forth and Gilmore also denied assaulting another person on that day.

Cassius has been remembered as a loving son and a role model to his friends. He had started his own lawn-mowing business and was invited at the age of 11 to deliver an acknowledgement of country at WA's parliament.

Palmer, Forth, Brearley and Gilmore previously pleaded not guilty to murdering Cassius in a lesser court in 2023.

All remain in custody.

For 24/7 crisis support run by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, contact 13YARN (13 92 76).

Man avoids jail for ‘bizarre’ urination on packaged meat at Woolies

A man will not spend more time in jail after his "bizarre" act of publicly urinating on packaged meat in a city-centre Woolworths.

Lachlan Ebejer, also known as Lochlan James Ebejer, stood next to customers at the supermarket's Sydney Town Hall branch on July 1 when he contaminated the raw meat for 28 seconds.

The 22-year-old was already known to Woolworths staff after he copped a six-month ban from stores nationwide for shoplifting at Toongabbie, in Sydney's west, about two weeks earlier.

READ MORE: Woolies workers picket distribution centre in Melbourne as shelves remain bare

A man is wanted after allegedly urinating on produce at a Woolworths in Sydney's CBD.

Ebejer had a long history of symptoms of schizophrenia which had been wrongly thought to have come from his substance-abuse disorder, according to a report by a forensic psychiatrist filed with Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court.

Judge Michael Allen today imposed a conviction and a 12-month community corrections order for the public urination.

While normally such an act should warrant stern condemnation, that was not appropriate in this case because of Ebejer's long history of mental illness, he said.

"It is my view that his chronic schizophrenic illness, his bizarre behaviour at that time … cannot be divorced from consideration of the seriousness of the offending," the judge said.

A second charge of trespassing was dealt with without further conviction or penalty.

Ebejer is currently serving a sentence over unrelated charges and will be released on parole from jail for those offences on December 17, the court heard.

The 22-year-old wore prison greens as he watched by audio-visual link from Shortland Correctional Centre but spoke little during the hearing.

READ MORE: Andrew and Gemma have tried everything to keep the cost of their wedding down – and they're not alone

Woolworths

Legal Aid lawyer Liam McKibbin said Ebejer had been given a high dosage of anti-psychotics to treat his schizophrenia and would soon start medication to deal with his cannabis abuse.

He also had support from two NDIS carers in the community, the solicitor said.

McKibbin successfully argued that no jail time should be imposed, saying the charge of contaminating goods to cause public alarm encompassed a wide range of conduct up to putting needles in strawberries.

While the police prosecutor tried to argue that full-time custody was the only type of sentence available, this was promptly shut down by Allen.

"What benefit would that bring to the community? How would that address community safety?" the judge asked.

A man is wanted after allegedly urinating on produce at a Woolworths in Sydney's CBD.

Ebejer entered the city-centre store just before midnight on July 1 and threw a packet of chewy caramel Tim Tam biscuits from one aisle to another before proceeding downstairs for the urination, according to court documents.

After security were alerted, Woolworths staff were forced to cordon off the area, removing the meat and spending eight hours cleaning and disinfecting.

Ebejer immediately left the store but was located by police after images and CCTV footage were publicly released.

The Sadleir man pleaded guilty to one count of contaminating goods with intent to cause public alarm and also to unlawful entry on inclosed lands.

A third count of offensive conduct while on inclosed land was withdrawn.

If you or someone you know is in need of support contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue. In the event of an emergency dial Triple Zero (000).

Bay that runs into Sydney Harbour mysteriously turns red

A bay of water that runs into Sydney Harbour mysteriously turned red this morning. 

Locals discovered Careening Cove, beside Milson Park at Kirribilli, had changed colour.

North Sydney Council said it reported the claret-coloured water to authorities.

READ MORE: Threat of Christmas Qantas disruptions with baggage handlers to strike

A bay of water that runs into Sydney Habour has mysteriously turned red this morning. Locals discovered Careening Cove, beside Milson Park at Kirribilli, had changed colour.

"Council is aware of the red water flowing into the harbour from Milson Park, and officers have investigated but have not been able to find the source," a spokesperson said.

"We have reported it to the EPA.

"The cause of the colour is likely to be plumbers' dye which, while alarming in appearance, is safe and non-toxic."

The NSW Environment Protection Authority is currently investigating.

"North Sydney Council alerted us to red plumbers' dye in a drain at Kirribilli this afternoon and we are currently investigating the potential source," a spokesperson said.

Careening Cove recently caused commotion after turning bright green in September.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

The staggering amount Aussie couples are spending on weddings

Andrew Ives and Gemma Dallarmi have faced several tough decisions while planning their wedding.

From trimming the guest list to relying on family members for support, they are doing their best to reduce costs.

They are among many couples concerned about the rising expense of weddings, as the average cost to tie the knot surpasses $35,000.

READ MORE: Woolies workers picket distribution centre in Melbourne as shelves remain bare

According to the latest industry report by Easy Weddings, weddings can cost up to 28 per cent more than couples originally budgeted for.

The data reveals that while the average starting budget is $27,455, couples often end up spending an average of $35,315.

"It was surprising, I knew weddings were expensive but there are certain parts you don't expect. Everything starts adding up," Ives said.

"You get the spreadsheet out and something sounds like a reasonable amount but when you add it all up it can be frightening."

The couple are trying to bring the cost down, budgeting nearly $60,000 for their special day.

"It was obviously higher than we thought," Dallarmi said.

"We (have tried) limiting guest numbers… we started with an initial list and just had to reassess and reassess again.

"Things like leaning on family friends to help us out, we have a cousin as a celebrant, but also helpful with cost-saving."

READ MORE: Urgent search underway for sex offender missing in Melbourne

Wedding planner Darcy Allen said two-thirds of couples have help from their families with bills stacking up quickly.

She said many couples are having to have realistic budget discussions.

"I think they're a bit deflated, definitely a little bit stressed and anxious and then the conversations with family start to happen about financial assistance," Allen said.

"The biggest pain point currently is sticking to a budget and the second is family.

"At the moment we are seeing couples waiting longer to get married so they can save more."

The most expensive costs include venue, food and beverage, followed by photography.

"The cost is rising," Allen said.

"The number of guests attending a wedding has dropped, it's down to 88 and typically we would have seen a decade ago was 100-plus."

READ MORE: Two shot dead after fight in Mornington Peninsula home

More couples are also choosing to skip the traditional big church and reception weddings in favour of smaller, more intimate micro weddings.

"For couples who are worried about spending that money and want to make sure they have that wow factor, I would consider a mid-week wedding or off-peak date,"

"You will have the wedding and dream day you want for a lesser price and all your suppliers will be more inclined to give you a better rate."

Hospitality giant apologises after axing Australia Day celebrations

The parent company of 200 pubs and bars which axed Australia Day celebrations next year has apologised for causing "concern and confusion".

Australian Venue Co issued a statement on Instagram after news it would cancel celebrations on January 26 because the day causes "sadness" and "hurt" for patrons and staff.

The company said it was sorry for the reaction to its comments and said its venues would continue taking bookings for Australia Day.

READ MORE: Tupperware reportedly winding up operations in Australia after filing for bankruptcy

"We can see that our comments on the weekend have caused both concern and confusion. We sincerely regret that – our purpose is to reinforce community in our venues, not divide it," the statement reads.

"It is not for us to tell anyone whether or how to celebrate Australia Day. We acknowledge that and we apologise for our comments. It certainly wasn't our intention to offend anyone."

Australian Venue Co said it acknowledges the "different views" of its customers and employees.

READ MORE: House prices slow, sales fall as Aussie market leans into downturn

"Whether you choose to celebrate Australia Day or not, everyone is welcome in our pubs, always," the statement continued.

"We have been, and are always, open over Australia Day and we continue to book events for patrons."

The hospitality giant caused controversy after announcing it would not be marking the national day at its venues.

The impact of the ban would be especially felt in Queensland where the company owns about 90 venues, including the Wickham Hotel, Regatta Hotel and The Boundary Hotel in Brisbane.

It also has many popular drinking holes in Sydney, such as Untied, Cargo Bar, and Bungalow8.

https://www.instagram.com/p/DDD9LAhTjJo/

In Melbourne, regulars at the Esplanade Hotel and The Duke of Wellington, owned by Australian Venue Co, may have to look elsewhere if they want to enjoy celebrations.

Adelaide pubs impacted include The Unley Hotel, The Colonist and The Naracoorte Hotel.

"Australia Day is a day that causes sadness for some members of our community, so we have decided not to specifically celebrate a day that causes hurt for some of our patrons and our team," said an Australia Venues Co spokesperson.

The company is just the latest major business to sever ties with Australia Day.

At the start of this year, Woolworths and Aldi decided not to stock Australia Day merchandise in its stores ahead of the January 26 public holiday. 

In the wake of the decision, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton suggested shoppers should "boycott Woolworths" over the move.

Multiple local councils have also dropped Australia Day events as attitudes shift on holding commemorations on January 26.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

‘Out of a movie’: Dashcam captures wet weather crash on major freeway

Dashcam video has captured the moment a group of people escaped injury when an out-of-control car crashed on a busy Melbourne freeway over the weekend.

Heidi Brown thought she was dead when the vehicle smashed into her car and another parked on the side of the Western Freeway about 1pm on Saturday.

She pulled over just minutes before after her car aquaplaned over a puddle in the wet conditions.

READ MORE: Woolies workers picket distribution centre in Melbourne as shelves remain bare

A man driving on the busy freeway stopped when he saw Brown pulled over in the heavy rain.

He jumped out of the car, while his partner remained in the passenger seat.

The vision shows Brown speaking with the man when the out-of-control car smashes the two vehicles.

"I literally thought I was dead. I hit the ground and I was lying on the asphalt and I couldn't believe my eyes," Brown told 9News.

"It was the most horrific noise. It was quite shocking. It was like a freight train coming."

READ MORE: Andrew and Gemma have tried everything to keep the cost of their wedding down – and they're not alone

There were no serious injuries reported, though Brown suffered a knee injury. 

"I didn't feel anything and I went into auto mode checking people were okay," she said.

"It was something out of a movie."