Tag Archives: oceania

‘Hot chip’ killer loses appeal against his conviction

A Sydney man found guilty of manslaughter after an argument about hot chips on the Gold Coast has lost an appeal against his conviction.

Ricky Kevin Lefoe is serving an eight-year jail sentence for killing Brazilian national Ivan Susin over a fight about stolen food in Surfers Paradise back in 2019.

The court of appeal dismissed Lefoe's bid to overturn his conviction today, after he was found guilty of the one-punch attack last year.

READ MORE: What the weather on Christmas Day is forecast to be in your city

Ricky Kevin Lefoe is serving an eight-year jail sentence for killing Brazilian national Ivan Susin over a fight about stolen food in Surfers Paradise back in 2019.

His Supreme Court trial was shown CCTV of the fight outside a Surfers Paradise kebab shop, which the court heard was sparked between the men's friends over stolen hot chips.

Lefoe punched Susin when he tried to intervene and he died 10 days later from head injuries.

Lefoe appealed his conviction on three grounds, including a complaint that prosecutors urged the jury to consider a case of murder, not manslaughter.

READ MORE: Queensland toddler was in car for 'hours' before being found dead: police

Brazilian national Ivan Susin died after an assault on the Gold Coast.

This was dismissed by the Court of Appeal, which stated this claim was "bewildering", finding that the prosecutor's submissions were "relevant'' and in "no way improper".

Lefoe also argued that his guilty verdict was unreasonable, submitting "an analysis of the CCTV demonstrates that the conduct of Susin was extremely threatening and dangerous" and that he "was not an initial aggressor".

The court of appeal judges also rejected this, stating in their judgement that Lefoe's "characterisations of Mr Susin's conduct and the threat he posed are grossly overstated".

"The jury had independent evidence of… the CCTV footage" … and "may well have formed the view that [Lefoe's] evidence was neither credible nor reliable, particularly having regard to the inconsistencies between … what was shown in that respect on the CCTV footage".

Lefoe will be eligible for parole in 2027.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Man pleads guilty to Melbourne attack that left victim severely disabled

A Melbourne man has pleaded guilty to a 2022 Southbank coward punch attack that left a man in his 20s severely disabled and confined to a nursing home.

Suliman Suliman pleaded guilty to affray, recklessly causing serious injury and two counts of assault in the County Court of Victoria today as his victim, Kevin Vidovic's loved ones watched from overseas.

The 27-year-old victim lives in a nursing home in Croatia in a vegetative state, where his brother Ivan visits him daily.

READ MORE: What the weather on Christmas Day is forecast to be in your city

Kevin Vidovic Southbank assault

Ivan said his brother was active and hardworking and enjoyed camping, fishing and fitness before his future was stolen by the coward's punch.

Now he needs the assistance of a tube to eat and will likely stay in a vegetative state for the rest of his life.

"It's a horrible life to live for someone that young," Ivan said.

"It's the struggle everyday, sitting in a wheelchair for 15 minutes is like running a marathon for him."

Kevin had been out with friends in Southbank on October 30 2022, when he stepped in as a verbal argument turned into a fight.

READ MORE: Queensland toddler was in car for 'hours' before being found dead: police

Kevin Vidovic Southbank assaultKevin Vidovic Southbank assault

He was knocked unconscious after Suliman punched him in the back of the head and then the face.

Kevin's friends, who were also injured that night, cried as a video of him was shown in court today, exposing the extent of his injuries.

CCTV and phone vision showing him slam into the pavement was also played to the court.

Suliman's lawyer Dermot Dann said he had a violent upbringing in Sudan and had been drinking and using cocaine that night.

"No sentence will be able to help," Ivan said.

"That's the issue… No matter what happens with the accused, Kevin will still be in this position for the rest of his life."

Suliman is expected to be sentenced in the coming weeks.