Tag Archives: oceania

Four men jailed for ‘devastating’ gang rape of woman on Tinder date

Four men involved in the gang rape of a terrified woman one of them met on Tinder will jointly spend almost two decades behind bars for their crimes.

The sexual assault occurred in April 2022 in the bedroom of the woman, who cannot be legally named, after she agreed to meet Adam Ahamd Kabbout, 26, who she found on the dating app.

After letting Kabbout into her home and having a shower, she found three other men she did not know in her living room at Belmore, in Sydney's south-west.

READ MORE: Russia fines Google more than US$20 decillion

Adam Kabbout leaves Downing Centre District Court where he is on trial accused of the gang rape of a woman at Belmore last year is on trial, Tuesday 6th of August 2024.

Kabbout did not participate in the rape but encouraged his friends Omar El-Sayed, 25, Mohammed Ali, 22, and Rami Katlan, 26, to do so.

He gave directions while the others entered the room one at a time to sexually assault the woman over a terrifying 15-minute period.

At one point Katlan used his mobile phone to record a brief video of Ali raping the victim.

"OK, your loss," Kabbout said before he and the others left the house after the woman said she didn't want to continue.

The four men were sentenced at Downing Centre District Court today by Judge Leonie Flannery who acknowledged the "devastating effects" the crimes had on the woman.

"She went along with it because she was scared," the judge said.

In a victim impact statement read to the judge in October, she described feeling constant distrust, fear and bitterness, and her nights were haunted by flashbacks of the rape.

"I'm scared of everything, I'm scared of the world, I'm scared of other people, I find danger in everything … no one understands what it truly means to have all the power taken from you," she said.

In September, a jury found the four men guilty of various sexual crimes.

Omar El-Sayed initially denied having sex as he was engaged to be married, his lawyer said

READ MORE: Council 'bin enforcer' patrols Sydney streets as residents risk $220 fine

As the facilitator, Kabbout was convicted of four counts of aggravated sexual assault in company.

In front of a courtroom filled with family members and other supporters of the four men, Judge Flannery said Kabbout's offending was less serious than the others because he had not actually engaged in the physical sexual assault.

However, because he was found guilty of four counts, he was sentenced to a maximum of six years and six months in jail.

His non-parole period of three years and three months was backdated to July 23, 2023, and will expire on October 22, 2026.

El-Sayed was sentenced to a maximum jail period of five years and two months for two counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

His non-parole period of two years and seven months means he will be eligible to be released from prison on April 2, 2027.

Ali was also convicted of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent but because of his mental immaturity, he was only sentenced to four years and two months.

READ MORE: Anti-Donald Trump statues emerge across the country in mysterious protest project

He received a 25-month non-parole period which will expire on October 2, 2026.

Judge Flannery found that Kabbout, El-Sayed and Ali knew the victim did not consent.

She found that Katlan did not have this knowledge but was reckless as to whether the woman wanted to have sex with him or not.

Because of this, he received a maximum jail sentence of 30 months after being convicted of a sole count of sexual intercourse without consent.

He will be eligible for parole after spending 15 months behind bars on March 1, 2027.

In sentencing the four men, Judge Flannery noted their youth at the time of the sexual assault, their mental distress while in custody and their lack of any prior criminal record.

Each had good prospects of rehabilitation and a low likelihood of reoffending, she said.

Both Kabbout and El-Sayed maintain their innocence.

Staggering amount Aussies expected to spend in Black Friday sales

Australian shoppers are expected to spend just over $600 on average in Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, according to new research.

Men on average are expected to spend $220 on average more than women with clothes, technology and homewares expected to be the most popular categories.

The average Australian estimates they spent about $630 during last year's sales, which indicates spending may be slightly down this year, according to Westpac.

READ MORE: Trump statues are popping up everywhere – but it's not a special tribute

Australian shoppers are expected to spend just over $600 in Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, according to new research.

Black Friday will fall on November 29 this year, while Cyber Monday will take place on December 2.

For those who participate in the sales, spending spikes during these key shopping periods as bargain hunters look to stretch their dollars.

"People want to economise in the lead-up to Christmas gift-giving, planning their purchases to save on spending," Westpac senior economist Matthew Hassan said.

"But despite best-laid plans, impulse purchases still happen at the checkout and retailers will be working hard to encourage people to spend."

Shoppers have also been urged to be mindful of the risk of scams.

According to the bank, almost 40 per cent of Australians said they have previously been exposed to a buying or selling scam online during festive season sales, particularly with technology and clothing purchases.

"Sometimes, when faced with the lure of a large discount, it's hard to determine a good discount and a too good to be true discount," Westpac cash and transactional banking managing director Mandy Rutherford said.

"Plan your purchases, and pause before you buy, to ensure that they are within your budget and you are buying from a reputable retailer."

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

What happens after the US election? These are the dates you need to know

Americans are about to head to the polls to vote for president on November 5, but US election day is far from the end of the electoral process.

Almost a quarter of a year passes between ballots being cast and the next president being sworn in.

These are the key dates you need to know about. Note all dates are listed in local US time, roughly half a day behind AEDT.

READ MORE: Why only 538 people out of 330 million get to decide the US election

November 6-December 11: States certify election results

After votes are cast, states have to certify them. This happens both at a local or county level, and a state-wide level.

Because electoral law differs from state to state, exactly when each jurisdiction completes certification varies across the US, but the process must be complete by December 11.

READ MORE: 50 states will vote in the US election. Only seven actually matter

Members of Georgia's Electoral College are sworn in before casting their votes at the state Capitol, Dec. 14, 2020

December 17: The Electoral College votes

The US election isn't a direct vote for president. Rather, voters are technically voting for which Electoral College electors will represent their state.

On December 17, those electors meet in their states to officially record their votes for president and vice president.

Those vote certificates must be received by the US Senate president no later than the fourth Wednesday of December – which this year happens to fall on Christmas Day.

READ MORE: US election poll-tracker: Who will win on November 5?

Boxes containing Electoral College votes are opened as a joint session of the House and Senate

January 3: Congressional representatives and senators sworn in

The congressmen and women and senators who won their elections on November 5 are sworn in.

Vote certificates also have to be transferred to Congress by this date.

January 6: Congress counts Electoral College votes

A special joint session of Congress is held to count the Electoral College votes – whichever candidate gets 270 votes or more is then declared to have been elected president, and the same goes for vice president.

January 6 is, of course, an infamous date in American history. It was during this joint session four years ago when Donald Trump supporters stormed the Capitol in an attempt to stop Joe Biden from being declared president.

READ MORE: When we will know who won the US Presidential Election

Pro-Trump supporters storm the US Capitol

There will be a slight quirk this year in that Kamala Harris is both running for president and, as the current vice president, will preside over the joint sitting.

A similar occurrence happened after the 2000 election, when Al Gore declared George W. Bush had been elected president after an extraordinarily close and controversial election between the two men.

January 20: Inauguration day

The candidate who wins the most Electoral College votes is sworn in as president at midday, Washington time, taking the Oath of Office and beginning their four-year term.

The new vice president is also sworn in.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.