All posts by FreeNews

Major airport shut after plane collides with vehicle on runway

A busy New York airport has closed after a plane collided with a Port Authority vehicle on the runway.

The New York City Fire Department said firefighters responded to reports of a plane crashing into a vehicle on the runway of LaGuardia Airport in Queens at 11.38pm on Sunday (2.38pm Monday AEDT).

The airport said a Jazz Aviation flight operating on behalf of Air Canada struck a Port Authority aircraft rescue and firefighting vehicle that was responding to a separate incident.

READ MORE: The big question all of Australia is asking

READ MORE: RBA boss buys luxury holiday house on rate hike day

The collision on runway four, which flight-tracking sites said featured Air Canada flight AC8646, sparked emergency protocols.

"The Port Authority Police Department is on scene along with the agency's chairman and executive director," LaGuardia Airport said in a statement.

"The airport is currently closed to facilitate the response and allow for a thorough investigation. This is a developing situation based on preliminary information.

"The Port Authority Police Department is working closely with our airline partners as well as federal authorities and will provide additional updates as more details become available."

The New York Police Department said all streets and highway exists into the airport were closed until further notice due to an "emergency incident".

A notice on the Federal Aviation Administration's National Airspace System Status showed La Guardia as closed 12 minutes after the crash.

Eighteen flights had been diverted from La Guardia within a couple of hours of the collision, Flightradar24 reported.

Multiple videos taken by bystanders and posted on social media showed the jet with severe damage to the front of the aircraft.

– Reported with Associated Press

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Motorists urged to use cheaper alternative at the bowser amid fuel concerns

Motorists are being encouraged to use a cheaper alternative at the bowser amid concern about fuel prices skyrocketing.

National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA) spokesperson Peter Khoury has advised drivers who can to opt for E10 over unleaded at the bowser as it is more locally sourced.

"If you can take E10 in your vehicle, we encourage you to do so," he said.

AS IT HAPPENED: Fighting erupts on second front as Trump advisor lets plan slip

Melbourne's Westgate freeway at dusk, people driving home

"Ten per cent of every litre of E10 is ethanol that's produced here in Australia, and not oil or petrol imported from overseas, and we have unfortunately seen yet again, just how volatile the prices of oil and fuel are.

"All it takes is for the Middle East to sneeze and the rest of the world catches a cold."

As the cost of diesel hovers around $3 a litre, there's concern in the next few weeks it could climb closer to $4 a litre.

"Its not only possible its probable," Khoury said.

"I don't want to think about what it would take to get to $4 a litre."

Out of 25000 service stations across NSW, just 37 are out of fuel today.

Energy Minister Chris Bowen also suggested working from home where possible, rather than driving to work.

"I think that's a sensible thing to do in any environment, really," he said on ABC Insiders yesterday.

"Work from home has become an important part of Australian working life."

His comments came after a report from the International Energy Agency (IEA) last week that suggested countries around the world should look at implementing and supporting work-from-home measures more widely.

However, Bowen conceded this would not be an appropriate option for everyone, and highlighted the report was not tailor-made for Australia.

"There are other people for whom it's not an option, and I think people would already be looking at their options to minimise their fuel use at the moment, Bowen said.

"For other people, that's a lot harder.

"I don't think a one-size-fits-all approach is necessary and that IEA report is a smorgasbord of options for all countries around the world to look at in terms of their own personal circumstances."

Bowen's comments have been criticised by deputy opposition leader Jane Hume, who claims he is deflecting from failing to secure Australia's fuel supply.

READ MORE: Almost half of all Australians think an attack on the country is 'probable'

Minister for Climate Change and Energy Chris Bowen during a press conference  at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 17 March 2026. He has now suggested more Aussies should work from home during the current fuel crisis.

This is despite Bowen saying only six of Australia's 81 oil shipments have been cancelled since the start of the conflict, and that the country has over a month's worth of fuel supply in both petrol and diesel.

"Chris Bowen is saying, 'it's OK, everyone can work from home, [but] it doesn't work that way," Hume said on Today.

"That isn't going to be enough to solve the supply chain crisis."

Bowen's comments were also met with scepticism by NSW Premier Chris Minns, who claimed the impact on fuel prices and supply would be "negligible", at least in his state.

"When it comes to the NSW public service, our advice is that it wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of demand, mainly because 85 per cent of our public servants work at the coalface," he said.

"They're not working from home. It's not possible. Most of our employees are nurses, paramedics, police officers and firefighters.

"We just can't issue that order."

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Suspected arson attack on ambulances in London was ‘antisemitic’: police

A suspected arson attack on ambulances in north London is being treated as an antisemitic hate crime, according to police.

Four Hatzolah ambulances were set on fire around 1.45am local time (2.45pm AEDT) in Golders Green, the BBC reported, citing the Metropolitan Police.

Police are treating the incident as an antisemitic hate crime, according to the BBC.

WORLD: Iran issues new threat after Trump's ultimatum on Strait of Hormuz

metropolitan police london

Hatzolah is a non-profit volunteer organisation that provides emergency response and transport to Jewish people.

"We know this incident will cause a great deal of community concern and officers remain on scene to carry out urgent enquiries," Superintendent Sarah Jackson told the BBC.

"We are in the process of examining CCTV and are aware of online footage.

"We believe we are looking for three suspects at this early stage."

There were no reports of injuries, according to Associated Press.

There have been no arrests yet.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Family of hero security guard praise his ‘heart of gold’ after fatal stabbing

The family of allegedly murdered security guard Aidan Becker said their heroic son would have done it all over again, despite paying the ultimate price for helping someone in need.

Aidan, 22, was allegedly stabbed to death at Mernda train station in Melbourne's north-east on March 6 after intervening to help a 14-year-old boy who was being robbed by four teenagers.

All four have been charged with his murder.

WORLD: Iran issues new threat after Trump's ultimatum on Strait of Hormuz

Aidan had finished his shift working as a security guard for the Alfred Hospital when he lost his life for being a Good Samaritan.

He normally wore a stab-proof vest at work but had taken it off in the hours before he was fatally attacked.

His family told independent media network Australia First Media (AFM) that it was in Aidan's nature to help people.

"The goldest the goldest of hearts. He was an absolute angel," his sister Siobhan said.

"He would have done anything for anyone, without any question."

READ MORE: Ex-tropical cyclone dumps heavy rain, triggering flood warnings

The family of allegedly murdered security guard Aidan Becker: Mum and sister

Aidan's parents realised something wasn't right when he failed to come home from work.

They rushed to the scene at Mernda train station, where they met a man who was with their son during his last moments on earth.

"He said to my son as he closed his eyes, 'Your family loves you'," Aidan's mum Nathalie said.

"He's not coming home no more because he did the right thing," his father Matthias added.

"The police were weeping too… and he said to me, 'Your son had a very big heart'."

The family say no parent should lose ther child under such tragic circumstances.

They have spoken out in the hope their son's death is not in vain.

"Everybody wants their children to come home – and home is where he should be," Matthais added.

Thousands of people stood in silence at a vigil last night to honour 22-year-old Aidan Becker, who was allegedly murdered by four teenagers as he tried to help a younger boy who was allegedly being robbed at Mernda Station on Friday, March 6.

Two 17-year-olds, a 16-year-old and an 18-year-old were arrested following the incident.

They have all been charged with murder and armed robbery.

The charged teenagers will face court in the coming months.

EVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.