All posts by FreeNews

Caribbean agencies review response to Hurricane Melissa, identify gaps

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, Mar. 22, CMC – The Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), in collaboration with Jamaica’s Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) and regional partners, recently hosted a three-day After-Action Review (AAR) to assess the region’s response to Hurricane Melissa. The review brought together disaster officials, regional bodies, UN agencies, security forces, […]

Honourable Spencer Brand – World Water Day Address

Honourable Spencer Brand Minister responsible for Water Services in the Nevis Island Administration World Water Day Address March 22, 2026 Fellow citizens, residents, and visitors, Today, on World Water Day, I address you to reflect on a resource that sustains every facet of life, fuels our economy, protects our health, and shapes the future of our […]

Discovery of Roman villa in Wales ‘changes the narrative’

A visit to Margam Country Park, about 40 kilometres west of Cardiff, is like stepping back to another era.

The lower grounds of the estate are scattered within the ruins of an 879-year-old abbey, once ravaged by the bubonic plague, while the more recently built 19th century Margam Castle sits at a higher vantage point, with views out across Port Talbot.

But a chance discovery in an adjacent field has uncovered a significant monument dating back to the Roman empire.

READ MORE: 'Clear message': One Nation surge confirmed with historic win

Dr Alexander Langlands, Associate Professor at Swansea University

"We are looking, I think without a shadow of a doubt, at a major Roman villa structure, potentially the largest in Wales and something that really is unknown in this part of the world," Swansea University Associate Professor Alexander Langlands.

It was discovered by chance, when a team of geophysical surveyors, commissioned by Langlands, proceeded to scan an unassuming area of the park after concluding their work on the abbey grounds.

"They said, 'I think you might want to come over, we've found something'," he said.

"As soon as I saw it, I thought 'Wow, that's impressive'."

READ MORE: Brave truckies fight off armed carjackers at servo

The exact location of the site within the park's grounds is being kept confidential to protect it from treasure hunters.

It is sitting about half to 1.8 metres below the surface, spanning out across an area of about 500 square metres.

Scans have detected portions of walls and the foundations of several structures including the villa and a basilica-like structure, believed to be more than 1600 years old.

Langlands said the discovery suggested the Romano-British people were living more peacefully and prosperously in this area than previously thought.

READ MORE: '48 HOURS': Trump's chilling deadline for Iran

Discovery of Roman villa in Wales "changes the narrative" for western Britain

"This find changes the narrative I think for south Wales and for western Britain more generally," he said.

"Often we talk about Wales as being a sort of 'edge of empire', a 'frontier zone' prone to instability and raiding from the west.

"But actually, to have something this fancy – something that would not be out of place in somewhere like Somerset or Gloucestershire – suggests that you've really got a civilised and peaceful way of life all the way here in West Glamorgan.

"To find one this size is really exceptional."

READ MORE: Ice cream shop 'firebombed' again, residents evacuated

The 'Pompeii of Port Talbot'

Researchers are hoping there may be other artefacts waiting to be discovered at the site like coins, pottery or even mosaics that would explain more about the former inhabitants of what was once known as Britannia.

They are hoping to be granted national funding to begin meticulous excavation works.

Councillor Cen Phillips from Neath Port Talbot Council said the site would likely draw international tourists and had already been given the nickname "Pompeii of Port Talbot".

"We already have so much heritage just in the park, from the Bronze Age right through to the 19th Century industrialists and their tremendous mansion," he said.

"To be able to add this missing link to the story is going to be huge for our communities."

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

‘Clear message’: One Nation surge confirmed with historic win

One Nation is set to join South Australia's lower house after converting surging support in the polls into a historic foothold in the state election.

As Labor romped to a record victory, Pauline Hanson's party capitalised on anger against the establishment, achieving its best result anywhere in Australia for decades and decimating the Liberal party.

"It's the start of a new beginning for the people of South Australia and the people of Australia," the One Nation leader said.

READ MORE: Three sailors including child rescued after 'floating in ocean' for 16 hours

Pauline Hanson

"This will send a clear message. I'm not going to stop at South Australia, I'm going to go to after the seat of Farrer [in an upcoming NSW byelection], and then Victoria."

In South Australia's lower house, the Labor Party will increase its majority to at least 32 and could gain as many as 35 seats.

The Liberals have only four with slim hope that they could hold another three.

One Nation's David Payton, the Adelaide Plains Council deputy mayor, won the seat of Ngadjuri, the party's first lower house seat won at an election outside of Queensland.

The party is on track for at least two seats in the lower house and at least another in the upper house, where SA One Nation leader Cory Bernardi is its lead candidate.

The votes are still being counted and the results won't be known for days in some elections.

READ MORE: 'No more games!' Trump sends ICE threat as airport shutdown continues

Labor's Peter Malinauskas landed the largest election victory in the state's history.

"We can and should wave our flag with pride knowing that Aussie patriotism sometimes means sitting with a stranger and sharing a cuppa or a frothy," he said.

While most of the state went to the polls supporting Labor, more than one in five South Australians backed One Nation, which overtook the Liberals as the second most popular in the state.

One Nation leads the Liberal Party in two-thirds of lower house seats and outside of Adelaide, they lead all parties in total vote, figures that will likely scare the major parties in other states and in Canberra.

Peter Malinauskas

"I think the lesson from that not just in South Australia but federally is that people are angry," former opposition leader David Littleproud said.

Former Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce, who joined One Nation in December after a fallout with the Coalition's junior partner, celebrated the party's first successful election test with a promise: this is only the beginning.

As the results became clear, the Liberals were baying for blood, not blaming current leader Ashton Hurn but demanding an apology from former leader David Speirs.

READ MORE: 'They don't like any of us': Biggest lesson from One Nation's record surge

One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

He apologised during Nine's SA Election coverage for the effects his personal scandals have had on the Liberal Party.

The former state opposition leader was fined $9000 and handed 37.5 hours of community service after being convicted for supplying cocaine to two men.

Man shot by police outside Logan shopping centre

A man who was allegedly armed with a knife is fighting for life after being shot by police outside a shopping complex south of Brisbane.

Police were called to Logan Central on Ewing Road just before 6pm (7pm AEDT) yesterday following reports a knife-wielding man was making threats to members of the public.

Video footage shows the man smashing the windows of a car and jumping on its roof before pulling out a knife and allegedly threatening others.

READ MORE: Labor landslide in South Australia amid seismic One Nation shockwave

A man allegedly armed with a knife has been seriously injured after being shot by police in Logan.

"He's on there, jumping on it, destroying the roof, and next thing you know he pulls out a knife," one witness who did not want to be identified said.

"The guy keeps yelling, 'I'll come for you guys with the knife', so it was pretty scary," another witness said.

When officers attempted to engage with the 27-year-old man, police allege he approached them with a weapon.

Police then opened fire and shot the man.

Officers provided first aid at the scene and he was taken to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane for treatment under police guard.

He remains in a life-threatening condition.

READ MORE: Mum wants charges laid after after-school attack on 12-year-old girl

A man allegedly armed with a knife has been seriously injured after being shot by police in Logan.

It is understood police will speak to the man once he recovers.

Nobody else was injured during the incident, and police say there is no ongoing threat to the public.

A crime scene has been declared and the Ethical Standards Command and Crime and Corruption Commission will investigate the shooting.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Suspected arson attack on ice cream shop may be linked to organised crime

Police are investigating whether a suspected arson attack on an ice cream shop in Melbourne's south-west is linked to organised crime.

It is the second time since 2024 the shop has been firebombed, having only reopened after the first attack five months ago.

Firefighters were called to reports of a fire at a a popular shopping and restaurant district on Nelson Place in Williamstown about 3.45am.

READ MORE: Labor landslide in South Australia amid seismic One Nation shockwave

It is the second time since 2024 the shop has been firebombed, having only reopened after the first attack five months ago.Fire at Nelson Place in Williamstown

Multiple crews worked to extinguish the blaze at the ice creamery but the premises sustained "significant" damage, police said.

Residents were woken in the night to a frightening scene.

"The smoke was really unbearable, all of a sudden we could hear bangs," local resident Leo Raffoul said.

"It was really scary, we all had to be evacuated in the middle of the night, bring the children out on the street."

The shop was unoccupied at the time of the fire, as was a residence above the business.

Police have established a crime scene.

Such attacks on ice cream shops have become more common in recent times.

READ MORE: Mum wants charges laid after after-school attack on 12-year-old girl

Fire at Nelson Place in Williamstown

Since late 2022, there have been at least six suspicious fires at ice cream shops on the Nelson Place strip, with another in Tarneit in Melbourne's west also set on fire.

The two attacks that happened in the last two days are believed to be linked to the notorious Haddara family.

Raffoul said residents were becoming frustrated with the recent attacks.

"We approached the council that they should put surveillance camera and [we're] really angry that they haven't done anything about it," he said.

Anyone who witnessed the incident, has dashcam or CCTV footage or has information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Man charged after two-hour siege following car chase in Sydney’s west

A man has been charged after allegedly leading police on a pursuit through Sydney's west that ended in a two-hour siege at an apartment block.

The chase began just after 3am when police tried to stop a Toyota Camry on Aurora Drive in Tregear.

Police began chasing the car along Luxford Road, where it was allegedly seen on video speeding, before it turned into a block of flats on Halinda Street in Whalan.

POLITICS: 'Growing and growing': Joyce's bold prediction on One Nation's future

Police were forced to wait until 5am to arrest the alleged driver of the car.

Police allege Shaun Baxter, 38, got out of the car and went inside, leaving a passenger behind.

Police arrested the passenger but said he was quickly released after they spoke to him.

NSW NEWS: Woman fighting for life after alleged hit and run

They set up a perimeter around the apartments, waiting for the man to come out.

Police told residents to stay inside for their own safety.

"[A] swarm of cops followed after, [the] canine unit and more cops came up, got a scent of him, took off down the driveway," witness Declan Boulson said.

FUEL CRISIS: Petrol theft ramps up as unleaded nears $3 per litre

The 38-year-old man will appear in court today.

When Baxter emerged at 5am, he was arrested and charged with multiple offences.

That includes not stopping leading to a police pursuit, driving recklessly, dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception, and breaching a domestic violence apprehended violence order.

He appeared in court today, where he was refused bail.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.