All posts by FreeNews

Rail union calls for free public transport as fuel crisis continues

The main transport workers' union in NSW has called on the state government to scrap fares on public transport as more people ditch cars due to the rising cost of petrol.

With diesel reaching above $3 a litre in some parts of the country, and unleaded not too far behind, more people are using public transport to commute to and from work.

With higher inflation and interest rates also contributing to cost-of-living pressures, the Rail, Tram and Bus Union (RTBU) believes public transport fares should either be reduced significantly or temporarily removed altogether.

UPDATE: Three sailors including child rescued after 'floating in ocean' for 16 hours

"We could reduce to nothing for a period of time, or drop it to 50 cents, which has worked well in Queensland," RTBU NSW branch secretary Toby Warnes said at a press conference in Sydney today.

"Get them out of their cars, give them cost-of-living relief, use the fuel where we need it."

POLITICS: 'Growing and growing': Joyce's bold prediction on One Nation's future

Transport Minister John Graham quickly poured cold water on the idea, claiming public transport in Sydney was already priced fairly.

"Public transport is a good alternative if you are worried about fuel prices," he said without supporting the union's initiative.

The daily cap for adults using public transport in Sydney is $19.30 between Monday and Thursday, and $9.65 from Friday to Sunday and on public holidays.

Current estimates show Australians are paying about $30 more per tank of unleaded petrol and $70 per tank of diesel since the start of the US and Israel's war in Iran.

MIDDLE EAST CONFLICT: 'Growing and growing': Joyce's bold prediction on One Nation's future

An Ampol petrol station in Neutral Bay, a favourite for motorists on Sydney's Northern Beaches, has been run dry.

The government says oil shipments haven't been hugely impacted by the recent conflict in the Middle East, with federal Energy Minister Chris Bowen declaring only six of the 81 shipments of oil to Australia since the conflict began earlier this month have been cancelled.

He also quashed the idea of fuel rationing being required in parts of Australia, despite some petrol pumps running dry.

"The federal government does have powers, we are not contemplating to use any of those powers," he said.

He conceded there would be "bumps in supply".

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Truck drivers fight off armed carjackers at Melbourne service station

Two truck drivers have fought back after armed men tried to carjack their vehicle from a Melbourne service station carpark.

Passers-by captured the shocking incident on their phones as the drivers went toe to toe with the would-be thieves, who are now on the run.

Footage captured three men fighting in a service station car park in Scoresby in the city's east.

READ MORE: Three sailors including child rescued after 'floating in ocean' for 16 hours

Two truck drivers have fought back after armed men tried to carjack their vehicle from a Melbourne service station carpark.

Despite being outnumbered, one LG delivery driver held his own, fighting them off.

Witnesses said the pair racially abused the man before demanding the keys to his truck.

READ MORE: Man charged after two hour siege following car chase in Sydney's west

As they tried to flee he was joined by a co-worker and, armed with a spirit level, exacted his revenge as one man bizarrely attempted to retrieve a guitar from a getaway car.

As the fight fizzled out the brave delivery driver delivered one last flurry of blows.

Police said there were no serious injuries in the fight and the two alleged carjackers fled in a red Subaru southbound on the Eastlink.

Three sailors including child rescued after ‘floating in ocean’ for 16 hours

Three people, including a child, survived floating in the ocean for 16 hours in the ocean off Tasmania after their boat sank last night.

But one man remains missing, with police boats and helicopters still searching the waters near Robbins Island.

The four people are thought to have been staying at Montagu campground in the state's north-west when they set off for a fishing trip at around 5.30pm last night.

POLITICS: 'Growing and growing': Joyce's bold prediction on One Nation's future

Tasmania Police confirmed the Westpac Rescue Helicopter is involved in the search for the missing boat.

They failed to return, with concerned relatives raising the alarm with police at about 8am this morning.

The Westpac Rescue Helicopter was dispatched and about 1pm, two adults and a child were found floating in the water at Robbins passage.

Police believe the boat they were in broke up at about 9pm last night, with all four to be thrown into the water.

READ MORE: Woman fighting for life after alleged hit and run

They were not rescued for around 16 hours.

They were taken to North West Regional Hospital due to the amount of time they spent in the water, but police say they are otherwise uninjured.

The trio were wearing life jackets.

Tasmania Police said in a statement several boats, as well as the Westpac Rescue Helicopter, were deployed in the search.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.