Tag Archives: oceania

Thousands mark October 7 anniversary across Australia

Sombre vigils have been held across Australia to mark the first anniversary of the October 7 Hamas attacks on Israel.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese took part in a memorial for the Jewish community in Melbourne. Despite his urging against protest activity, pro-Palestinian demonstrations in Sydney and Melbourne have gone ahead.

In Melbourne they marched silently along a two-kilometre stretch from St Kilda Road to the steps of parliament.

READ MORE: Eliana is desperate to leave Lebanon – but it's not so simple

READ MORE: Jetstar flight to Bali forced to turn around after toilet issue

Palestine supporters walked to the sound of a single beating drum, some carrying stretchers in recognition of lives lost in the war.

At Sydney's Town Hall, about 500 demonstrators were present for a static vigil, with a major police presence keeping an eye on crowds.

About 1000 additional police were rostered on across Sydney to ensure violence did not erupt.

At Vaucluse, about 10,000 members of the Jewish community gathered for a vigil, while in Lakemba in western Sydney, 1000 community members filled the local mosque in another static vigil.

Reporters at the scene did not see any symbols of hate or signs of violence at any of the October 7 demonstrations.

On this date last year, Hamas-led militants swarmed across the Israeli border and attacked multiple targets including small communities and a music festival, killing 1200 people, mostly civilians.

A further 240 were kidnapped as hostages.

The attack prompted a major military response from Israel, with airstrikes and ground operations devastating Gaza and killing an estimated 40,000-plus people.

Dozens of Israelis are believed to be still held hostage by Hamas.

READ MORE: Cult cookie shop to open in Australia after saga over unrelated 'pop-up'

Israel also opened up a new front against Hezbollah in Lebanon last week after months of the terrorist group firing rockets into northern Israel in solidarity with Hamas.

Former federal treasurer Josh Frydenberg gathered at a Jewish aged care facility today, where he told a tearful crowd that the world was in a battle of good versus evil.

"A year ago, my life changed, and your life changed forever," he said.

Sydney's Jewish community also gathered at Bondi Beach this morning to mark the solemn occasion.

"A process of mourning is not just a ritual. It is a profound expression of who we are as Jews," one faith leader said.

READ MORE: Owners of dog shot dead by police in Perth call for answers



The pro-Palestine gathering has sparked controversy, though a large protest in Sydney yesterday was mostly peaceful, with one person arrested.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese today issued a statement commemorating the anniversary of the attacks.

"October 7 is a day that carries terrible pain," he said.

"Over 1200 innocent Israelis died: the largest loss of Jewish life on any single day since the Holocaust.

"We unequivocally condemn Hamas' actions on that day."

Albanese also condemned the "cold shadows of antisemitism" that he said were hurting Jewish Australians in the present day.

Rally organised by Never Again Is Now, at the front of Parliament House in Canberra.Members of Sydney's Jewish community gathered at Bondi Beach on the morning of October 7.

"We unequivocally condemn all prejudice and hatred," he said.

"There is no place in Australia for discrimination against people of any faith."

He also obliquely addressed the ongoing wider war that erupted in response to the attack.

"As we mourn and reflect, we also re-affirm a fundamental principle of our shared humanity: every innocent life matters," he said.

Israel Hamas

"We recognise the distress the conflict has caused here in Australia. Sorrow knows no boundaries and recognises no differences.

"The number of civilians who have lost their lives is a devastating tragedy."

Police chiefs around the country, including the AFP, last week issued a rare joint statement warning against illegal behaviour at gatherings over the long weekend.

FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, celebrity and sport via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.

Summer comes early several states with heat blast

Temperatures are set to hit a sunny high of 32 degrees in Brisbane today as summer makes an early appearance in Queensland's capital city.

The balmy forecast for Monday is well above the long-term October average for Brisbane which, according to the Bureau of Meteorology, is 27 degrees.

The hot weather is expected to hang around for much of the week, with the bureau forecasting storms and a high of 33 degrees on Tuesday.

READ MORE: These lush green fields are actually in Antarctica

Northern WA and the Northern Territory's Top End are sweltering through intensifying heatwaves.

Meanwhile, heatwaves which began on Sunday are continuing in the Northern Territory's Top End and northern Western Australia, with sweltering temperatures reaching the high 30s and low 40s.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued heatwave warnings for both regions with the well above average temperatures likely to persist until the end of the week.

In some localised areas, the heatwaves has been classified by the bureau as extreme.

https://twitter.com/BOM_au/status/1842770853341114650?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

At Fitzroy Crossing, in northern WA, the temperature is predicted to hit a sweltering 43 degrees on Tuesday, while Broome will reach 38 and Darwin 36 degrees.

Warm nights will bring little relief from the heat of the day, with minimum temperatures in the Top End to linger in the mid-to-low twenties overnight, the bureau said.

Like Brisbane, Sydneysiders will enjoy summer-like weather on Monday with a high of 29C, before a drop in the maximum temperature of 10 degrees to a predicted 19C on Tuesday.

Teenager accused of plotting university bombing denied bail

A teenager accused of plotting a series of attacks across Melbourne has had his bail denied.

The 19-year-old appeared before the Moorabbin Magistrates' Court today, where it was alleged that he planned attacks throughout the city, including a university bombing, a school shooting, a train derailment, and the poisoning of Melbourne's water supply.

The magistrate ordered an interim suppression order on his identity and the locations of his alleged targets.

READ MORE: Student hit and killed by car allegedly driven by friend

The court heard today that the teenager had been on the radar of police since February, with officers raiding his home and allegedly uncovering parts to manufacture a gun, ammunition, and plans to make explosives.

Handwritten notes in which the teenager allegedly outlined the attacks were also discovered by police.

He was arrested and released after giving a "no comment" interview.

His family home was raided again in April, where police allegedly found a military vest, gas mask and firearm holster.

He was arrested and bailed before another search in August, where police discovered he had allegedly ordered chemicals to manufacture explosives on eBay.

Officers recently executed a fourth search of the house, allegedly uncovering chemicals to make an explosive so powerful it didn't need a detonator to explode.

READ MORE: Controversy as council shrinks development project despite looming housing targets

A detective revealed concerns about a hideout referenced in the handwritten notes, telling the court he feared the accused had stashed more weapons, but police couldn't find it.

The notes also contained alleged threats on specific people including psychologists and university staff.

The teenager was expressionless and kept his head down in court today.

READ MORE: Candlelight vigils mark October 7 anniversary across Australia

The magistrate described him as being quiet, small in stature, and someone who looked much younger than 19.

He will remain in custody and will return back to court in November.

Bosses increasingly using technology to track their employees’ every move at home

Workers clocking in from home might be welcoming more of the office into their living room than they bargained for.

Legal experts say businesses are increasingly using technology to keep track of their staff's every move, from personal conversation to online shopping, and even their location at any time of day. 

Lawyer-turned-consultant Peter Leonard has specialised in technology and data law for 35 years.

READ MORE: Jetstar flight to Bali forced to turn back for unusual issue

Workers clocking in from home might be welcoming more of the office into their living room than they bargained for.Legal experts say businesses are increasingly using technology to keep track of their staff's every move, from personal conversation to online shopping, and even their location at any time of day.

He's concerned about the rise of employee surveillance.

"I think it's very common," Leonard said.

"The technologies that enable that surveillance are readily available, cheap, easy to install."

Software available in Australia allows businesses to track their staff's personal activity on work devices.

Workers clocking in from home might be welcoming more of the office into their living room than they bargained for.Legal experts say businesses are increasingly using technology to keep track of their staff's every move, from personal conversation to online shopping, and even their location at any time of day.

Technology primarily used for timesheets can also track keystrokes, time away from the screen, and even employee location.

READ MORE: Fugitive dad and his missing children seen for first time two years

"The information is there for employers to use, it just depends on how employers want to use it," Smart WFM founder Jarrod McGrath said.

"I do see it becoming more draconian."

Last month, a leaked memo revealed that accounting giant PwC UK told its staff it would track their location to make sure they were in the office three days a week.

PwC Australia says its flexible workplace policy doesn't include an onsite mandate.

Legal experts want more oversight and say that part of the problem is that surveillance device laws are so out of date, they don't sufficiently cover modern technology, including mobile phones.

Massive figure raised for ‘one in a million’ dad killed in workplace accident

Tributes continue to pour in for Perth father Barry Breslin after he was killed in a workplace accident in Perth last Thursday.

The fiance and father of a three-year-old was working at a site on the Mitchell Freeway in Greenwood when he was struck by a concrete grate.

Breslin was rushed to Royal Perth Hospital but died a short time later.

READ MORE: Jetstar flight to Bali forced to turn back for unusual issue

Barry Breslin

Breslin was born and raised in Ireland's north-west County Donegal and moved to Perth in 2011.

A message shared on behalf of Breslin's fiancee Melissa, his son Tommy, and his family said he touched the hearts of many.

"He was always up for a laugh, whether it be greasing the door handles of a digger, giving yoghurt as sunscreen or being there to celebrate with his family and friends," his family said.

"Duke was one in a million.

"He was a family man at heart and a loyal friend to many around him, he will be sadly missed but not forgotten."

A fundraiser to support Breslin's family has raised more than $587,000 since it was established on Saturday.

Flight bringing Aussies home from Lebanon due to land in Sydney

A mercy flight is bound for Australia with more than 200 citizens who've escaped Lebanon on board, while the federal government is also promising more flights

More than 3700 Australians wanting to depart Lebanon are now registered with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

A total of 904 have already evacuated Beirut Airport on assisted flights and 349 are on their way home from Cyprus, due to touch down in Sydney at about 7pm.

READ MORE: Candlelight vigils mark October 7 anniversary across Australia

Another two flights are leaving Beirut tonight, with vulnerable and displaced people given top priority.

"We are encouraging people to get whatever commercial flights they can," NDIS Minister Bill Shorten said.

As evacuation efforts ramp up overseas, rallies have been held across Australia on the one-year anniversary of the October 7 attacks.

The Israeli communities' cries were made loud and clear outside corridors of power in Canberra.

READ MORE: Gaza is in ruins after Israel's year long offensive. Rebuilding may take decades

"As an ambassador, as an Israeli, as a Jew and as a human being, it is sad," Israeli Ambassador to Australia Amir Maimon said.

It was a solemn commemoration in Canberra but with rallies around the country, the majority of Australians are growing weary, with a new poll showing more than half the community oppose the marches.