Tag Archives: oceania

Rebel styles herself as ‘truth-teller’ amid film feud

Hollywood star Rebel Wilson insists she was truthful when telling millions of followers a young actor retracted a sexual misconduct claim to further her career.

The Pitch Perfect star is being sued by Charlotte MacInnes, the 27-year-old lead actor of the musical comedy The Deb.

MacInnes claims she was defamed by Wilson in social media posts that suggested she is a liar who withdrew a sexual harassment complaint to advance her acting and music career.

LIVE UPDATES: Trump may unleash 'Dark Eagle' in sudden escalation

Rebel Wilson arrives to give testimony for a third day in a row during her defamation trial.

Wilson alleges the young actor confided – but later recanted – that she felt uncomfortable when the film's co-producer, Amanda Ghost, asked to have a shower and a bath together in September 2023.

MacInnes denies making or walking back a complaint, insisting she never said she felt uncomfortable.

Wilson denies accusations that she fabricated the complaint to sow division or raised it for her own purposes, rather than out of concern.

"I received no benefit from this experience that led to a court case," the Bridesmaids star told the Federal Court on Thursday.

"All I have done is told the truth at significant cost to myself, at significant detriment."

During her third consecutive day in the witness box, Wilson claimed she had been bullied and harassed because she continued to tell the truth to people, some of whom are extremely rich and powerful.

When it was suggested that she herself is rich and powerful compared to MacInnes, Wilson retorted that the young actor appears to be enjoying a luxurious, international lifestyle.

She claimed MacInnes withdrew her complaint against Ghost in exchange for "huge enticements" including a lead role in a stage production and a record deal.

"She's changed her story, she's flip-flopped, and she's been given huge benefits," Wilson told the court.

She repeatedly insisted she told the truth in the social media posts that are the subject of what she deemed a "baseless defamation lawsuit".

NATIONAL: Antisemitism report calls for gun buybacks, more counter-terrorism powers

Charlotte MacInnes

"I am known as a truth-teller," the actor attested.

Posting the Instagram stories to her 11 million followers was not intended to attack MacInnes, she said, but it doesn't appear to have harmed her.

"I don't classify it as an attack, I classify it as telling the truth," Wilson told the court.

But MacInnes testified she felt bullied and intimidated by the older actor and blamed her for organising a cyberattack on her social media account that led to a nude photo being leaked.

The Deb's lead actor revealed her Snapchat account was breached, and there was an attempted breach of her Facebook account days after she filed legal proceedings against Wilson in September 2025.

"I believe this was orchestrated by Rebel," she wrote in an affidavit.

"It was completely terrifying and caused me a new kind of anxiety."

READ MORE: Australia now among world's top meth users, figures reveal

Amanda Ghost

Wilson rejected the accusation when it was put to her by MacInnes' barrister, Sue Chrysanthou SC.

"That is an absolutely outrageous statement to make in court that I moonlight as a hacker," she replied.

When pressed on whether she had directed someone else to carry out the breach on her behalf, Wilson responded: "Obviously not."

She similarly batted away a suggestion that she stalked the young actor to ascertain her whereabouts as absolute nonsense.

Chrysanthou has argued Wilson falsely portrayed herself as a whistleblower who sought to protect MacInnes when she was instead using the alleged complaint as leverage in a commercial dispute with her co-producers.

Wilson has rejected the suggestion, maintaining that she regards herself as a champion of women.

She concluded her testimony on Thursday afternoon.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Body found in search for missing Northern Territory girl

WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are advised this story contains the image of a person who is deceased.

A missing Alice Springs girl has been found dead days after her suspected abduction over the weekend.

Before midday today, Northern Territory police found the body of a girl believed to be missing five-year-old Kumanjayi Little Baby, as she is now referred to in line with local Indigenous customs.

In a statement released this afternoon, the young child's mother and brother said they were devastated by her death.

"To Kumanjayi Little Baby, me and [your brother] Ramsiah miss and love you," the statement began.

"I know you are in heaven with the rest of the family with Jesus, and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

"Me and your brother will meet you one day, we are giving our lives to Jesus.

"It is going to be so hard to live the rest of our lives without you.

"Ramsiah wants to tell you that when he sees you in heaven he is going to give you the biggest hug ever.

"Love from Mum and Ramsiah."

Police said Kumanjayi's body was found about five kilometres south of the crime scene.

Police said Jefferson Lewis, the man who police suspect abducted the young girl over the weekend, has not been found.

"The focus right now is to Jefferson Lewis, it is our sole job in this investigation right now," Northern Territory Assistant Police Commissioner Peter Malley said.

"I say to the family of Jefferson Lewis that we believe he's murdered this child.

"Do not assist him, get him to the police station and we'll look after him.

"And I say to Jefferson Lewis, we're coming for you."

Police Commissioner Martin Dole said the discovery of the girl's body was the "worst possible outcome".

"This is an incredibly distressing development," he said.

Police Commissioner Martin Dole said the discovery of the girl's body was the "worst possible outcome".

Dole said her family has been formally notified by police.

He said officers were not in a position today to provide answers around the cause of the girl's death or how long she may have been dead.

"A post-mortem examination will be conducted, likely tomorrow, and that will be a critical step in establishing those facts.

"The criminal investigation is ongoing and a coronial inquest will now also begin.

"As a result, there will now be limitations on what we can say publicly."

Dole described the news as "devastating" for the family of Kumanjayi Little Baby, first responders, the Alice Springs community and everyone around Australia who has been worried about her.

"The support shown during the time has been overwhelming."

The girl was reported missing at around 1.30am on Sunday.

Yesterday, police revealed they had found clothing on the riverbank near Old Timers Camp during their search.

Malley said the items had been taken to Darwin for analysis.

"Of significance is the pair of child's underwear," he said.

"We located two DNA profiles [on clothing]… one, as expected, belongs to the little girl and the other belongs to Jefferson Lewis."

'Dark days like this rock everyone'

NT Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro spoke with the five-year-old's mother to offer her "sincerest and heartfelt condolences" over the phone today.

"Right now we are focused on a grieving family, a grieving town and a grieving Northern Territory," she said.

"As our police have said, we now focus our energy in making sure we find the person who did this and bring them to justice."

Finocchiaro took the opportunity to thank the volunteers who assisted with search efforts.

"Around 200 people have worked tirelessly around the clock in searching for this beautiful little girl who went missing five days ago," she said.

"For five days, every Territorian has had their heart in their throat waiting for the moment waiting for the moment when we got the announcement that she had been found safe and well.

"That news did not come and it's fair to say that everyone is feeling this loss acutely, everyone is incredibly devastated by the outcome.

"Our hearts are all with people grieving this loss and my thanks go to every single person who volunteered to walk through the bush, to walk through the long grass, to walk up the hills, to do everything that they could to find her.

"To our police and emergency services who've done an incredible job and now focus their energy on bringing the person who did this to justice.

NT chief minister Lia Finocchiaro spoke with the five-year-old's mother to offer her "sincerest and heartfelt condolences" over the phone today.

"I thank everyone and I ask the Alice Springs community to really rally around each other at this devastating time.

"As a mother, as a member of our community, dark days like this rock everyone and the heartbreak of this is real.

"I've also spoken to our colleague Jacinta Nampijinpa Price, who is the aunty of Kumanjayi Little Baby.

"Over the days and weeks, we stick together as Territorians, like we always do.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone at this absolutely awful time."

For 24/7 crisis support run by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, contact 13YARN (13 92 76).

‘Unimaginable trauma’: Parents pay tribute to two kids killed in NSW house fire

The family of the two children who died in a house fire in NSW's Hawkesbury region have released an emotional statement about their "unimaginable tragedy".

The siblings have been named as Myla Summer-Lea Hughes, 10, and three-year-old River William Higgins.

"Today, with shattered hearts, we share the devastating loss and unimaginable trauma our family has suffered following the tragedy at Bowen Mountain," parents Skye Hughes and David Higgins said in a statement.

LIVE UPDATES: Trump praises King while continuing complaints about British PM Keir Starmer

"Our family's world has been forever changed."

David and three other children managed to escape the blaze at the home in Bowen Mountain, about 77 kilometres north-west of Sydney, early on Monday.

"At the time of the fire, five of the children were at the Bowen Mountain home, while one child was safely with their mother, Skye, in Queensland, where the family had been preparing to reunite and begin a new chapter together in their new home."

"This heartbreaking reality makes this unimaginable loss even more devastating for all who loved them."

An online fundraiser has been set up with the parents' permission.

"These precious lives were deeply loved, and this unimaginable tragedy has left the family facing profound grief, trauma and overwhelming loss," the fundraising page says.

The parents also thanked emergency workers, doctors and nurses, family, friends and the local community for their support.

"As we mourn this heartbreaking tragedy and navigate an unimaginable loss, we respectfully ask the media and the public to honour our privacy and protect our children," they said.

"We ask for the dignity to grieve and support one another without further intrusion and will not be commenting further at this time. 

"Thank you for your understanding, compassion and respect."

An appeal is being held for funds to help cover the costs of funerals and memorials, emergency accommodation, necessities, trauma counselling and the loss of the family home. 

The fundraiser has already received more than 600 donations and raised more than $55,000. 

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Likely changes to property tax breaks could fall flat: major bank

Commonwealth Bank has forecast the impact of potential changes to the capital gains tax (CGT) discount and negative gearing could fall flat for prospective home buyers, with only a "modest" decrease to house prices.

In a pre-federal budget analysis, economists from the big four bank, Luke Yeaman and Harry Ottley, said reforming the property tax benefits would only have a modest impact on lowering house prices and increasing productivity.

It estimates house prices could fall by 1.4 per cent with changes to the CGT discount and 2 per cent if coupled with an abolition of negative gearing.

READ MORE: How death threat charge could put Trump and his allies in hot water

Generic scenes of Commonwealth Bank of Australia logo and words, CBA, Banking, office buildings. Monday 13th Janusry 2025 AFR photo Louie Douvis

"The largest benefit will be higher long-term government revenue and a stronger budget," the economists wrote.

"Additional short-term volatility in the housing market is likely though, especially at a time when the interest rate cycle and slower population growth is also shifting prices and market sentiment."

Commonwealth Bank said changing the two policies may help affordability, as the median house price exceeds $1 million, but it will not solve the housing crisis.

"Boosting supply is still the key," the economists said.

The government has been dancing around what will be included in its tax reform, but has confirmed that one of the measures on the table is changes to the controversial CGT discount and negative gearing.

Critics have blamed the two property tax benefits for contributing to the housing crisis, with a Greens-led Senate inquiry finding the CGT discount is flawed and benefits investors over first-home buyers.

Two Labor senators endorsed the inquiry's report.

READ MORE: Antisemitism report calls for gun buybacks, more counter-terrorism powers

Aerial urban suburban cityscape landscape view in Perth Western Australia.

However, some industry experts like the Finance Brokers Association of Australia warn that changing the policies could disincentivise investment in the housing sector and place upward pressure on rent.

If reformed, it would be the first time the CGT discount is rolled back since the Howard government raised it to 50 per cent in 1999 and the first time negative gearing is changed since it was temporarily limited by the Hawke/Keating government in 1987.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers has refused to confirm or deny whether the two policies will be changed and said the federal budget has not been finalised.

"Intergenerational fairness is a really important way that we address some of the substantial and understandable issues in our budget, in our tax system and in our economy more broadly," he said yesterday.

"What we are determined to see is a fairer economy that works for more people, including for younger people."

Chalmers told Nine's Today that there are other changes they are making to soothe housing pressures.

"If we did go down that path, I would encourage people to look right across the board at everything that we're doing in housing, not one or two policies in isolation," he said.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.