Tag Archives: oceania

Solomon Islands 'drifting to self-destruction' before unrest in capital

Australian police have touched down in the Solomon Islands amid calls for calm and demands for the Prime Minister to resign after protests rocked the capital of Honiara for the second day in a row, leaving fires raging and smoke billowing above the city.

About 40 Australian Defence Force personnel and a navy ship are due to join Australian Federal Police officers later today in a peace-keeping role as local authorities struggle to control unrest experts say stems from a complex web of issues.

They say much of the tension stems from long-held differences between Malaita, the most populous of the hundreds of Solomon Islands, and Guadalcanal, where the capital and Parliament sit.

READ MORE: Three guilty of hunting down and killing Black jogger in US

Australian Federal Police personnel are seen boarding a RAAF C-130 Hercules  bound for the Solomon Islands.

Demonstrators from Malaita had travelled to the capital in a spill over of anger about a host of domestic issues including unrealised infrastructure promises, local media reported.

Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare declared a lockdown on Wednesday after about 1000 people gathered in protest in the capital Honiara demanding his resignation over a host of domestic issues.

The protesters breached the national Parliament building and burned the thatched roof of a nearby building, the government said.

Thick smoke billows across properties in the Solomon Islands city as crowds fill the streets.

Experts say issues range from concerns over distribution of resources, logging and representation to a 2019 switch in diplomatic allegiances from Taiwan to China.

The Washington Post reported that some protesters set fire to a police station and several buildings in Chinatown.

Edvard Hviding, a professor of social anthropology and founding director of the Bergen Pacific Studies Research Group, told 9News.com.au tensions stretched right back to the early 2000s before Australia led the RAMSI peacekeeping mission to the islands.

READ MORE: France's warning of Australia's 'trust crisis' over submarines

People appear to flee down an alleyway as unrest intensifies in the Solomon Islands capital of Honiara.

Having experienced "this kind of rioting about three or four times" while previously living in the Solomon Islands, he said he wasn't "too pessimistic" about the situation.

"There are many lines of thought about this but I think the Solomon Islanders are resilient and will sort of rise, if not from the ashes at least, but this will pass," he told 9News.com.au.

"But our hope, everyone's hope is that the national government will now speak to the rioters."

Pacific Islands expert Transform Aqorau described the unrest as "unexpected but not surprising" and called for reform to the country's political system.

Writing on the Devpolicy Blog, Dr Aqorau said a number of flashpoints had been ignored over the past few months, with little communication between the central government and the government of Malaita, where Premier Daniel Suidani is extremely popular.

But the man once tipped as the Solomon Islands' next envoy to the United Nations said even outside Malaita, frustration was growing at the outsize influence of foreign loggers, miners and other companies.

"Solomon Islands has been drifting to self-destruction," he wrote.

"It is one of the most aid-dependent countries in the world. Significant donor support is given to its health and education sector."

READ MORE: WA dad charged with murder of daughter 16 years after assault

Thick smoke billows across properties in the Solomon Islands city as crowds fill the streets.

Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare has called for calm in the capital and rejected calls to resign, saying he will only be removed on the floor of Parliament, local media report.

Mr Suidani, Premier of Malaita province, joined calls for the Prime Minister to step down, saying the leader needed to hear the protesters' demands before calling for peace.

"The people are there with their demand, and they want response from the Prime Minister or cabinet on their demand," he said, according to the Island Sun.

The support from Australia comes via a 2017 treaty and what Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said was a call for support from Mr Sogavare.

"We are there to support them (local law enforcement) and what they are doing and to provide that backup, particularly in relation to the critical infrastructure that is there," he said. 

"And it has been important for us to be quite clear with our Pacific Island nations, in particular with the Prime Minister, about the nature of our involvement." 

All Australian high commission staff were accounted for, he said on Thursday.

Former US ambassador to Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu Catherine Ebert-Gray said Australia's continued security assistance was "so important to the Solomon Islands and the region."

"The Prime Minister is a political survivor yet may have no choice but to resign if violence continues and he remains holed up at the Police Compound," she told 9News.com.au in an email.

"Australian troops will find it challenging to bring long-term peace without accompanying changes in national leadership.

"Malaitan Parliamentarians are numerous and should be part of any government. More women should run for office and get the support they need to actively join governance."

Protestors gather outside the parliament building in Honiara, Solomon Islands, November 24, 2021, in this screen grab obtained by Reuters, from a social media video (CNN).

Dr Aqorau said it was important to address a sense of "alienation, disempowerment and neglect" that had been "building for some time".

"Yesterday's protest and riots are evidence of serious underlying currents that have been neglected," he wrote.

"There has to be reform to the political system, including making the government more inclusive. 

"Those that rioted today probably don't get anything from government. This has to change, otherwise Solomon Islands could be on the pathway to implosion."

– With Associated Press

Residents in rural NSW evacuated due to dangerous flash flooding

At least 77 homes have been evacuated due to dangerous flash flooding in the Upper Hunter region town of Scone in New South Wales.

A major flood warning has been issued for Kingdon Ponds in Scone with the local council advising the river has broken its banks.

Several major roads have been impacted by floodwaters, including the New England Highway at Wittingham, which has been closed in both directions.

READ MORE: Man charged with murders of missing Victorian campers

At least 77 homes need to be evacuated due to dangerous flash flooding in the Upper Hunter region town of Scone in New South Wales.Several major roads have been impacted by floodwaters, including the New England Highway at Wittingham, which has been closed in both directions.

The SES is going around and knocking on doors of houses that need to be evacuated.

READ MORE: China's 'artificial islands' and why there are concerns about them

Evacuated residents will be required to head to the Scone Basketball Stadium for shelter if it isn't safe to stay with friends or family.

Emergency services are urging people not to drive through floodwaters, with several cars already having to be rescued around Glenbawn Road.

A major flood warning has been issued for Kingdon Ponds in Scone with the local council advising that the river has broken its banks.

It's the worst flooding in over 30 years, according to Scone locals.

Ernie and Sandra True are just two of the many residents whose homes have been engulfed by floodwater.

Sandra even fell after slipping on stairs in her home and had to be evacuated by emergency services.

Home of Ernie and Sandra surrounded by floodwater in Scone.

"This morning when I woke up it was only up to the back fence line, we thought oh it's alright," Mr True said.

"And then all of a sudden I walked to the front to have a cup of coffee and I seen the water rushing around the front of the house and I thought 'ugh'.

"So that's when we noticed it was rising, it came up that fast and it just caught us.

"This is the worst we've ever seen it. But we're going to stick here as long as we can, nothing we can do."

https://twitter.com/janegoldnbn/status/1464104477082865664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Torrential flooding has also filled paddocks in the area.

Scone is unlikely to receive much reprieve this weekend, with the Bureau of Meteorology forecasting more dangerous flash flooding due to thunderstorms.

Family of pilot charged with murder of missing campers speak

The family of the man accused of murdering missing Victorian campers Carol Clay and Russell Hill say they are "completely traumatised" by the tragic events.

Greg Lynn, 55, was charged yesterday with two counts of murder after being questioned by police at Sale police station in East Gippsland since his arrest on Monday.

In a statement, Mr Lynn's family expressed their distress over the case, while acknowledging the anguish of the campers' families.

LIVE UPDATES: Coronavirus cases and deaths rise again in Victoria

"It has been distressing for our family and the families of the deceased and we are completely traumatised as well by these tragic events," they said.

"We need to deal with the legal proceedings as they arise and try to restore some balance in our lives.

"We also acknowledge the suffering of the Clay and Hill families at this difficult time."

The family said they understood the media were interested in the proceedings but asked for privacy.

The Jetstar pilot appeared calm when he fronted Sale Magistrates' Court via video link this morning.

He wore a mask and held his hands together, taking off his mask occasionally to take a sip of water.

His wife Melanie Lynn also tuned in remotely.

He did not apply for bail and will remain in custody until May 31, 2022.

Mr Lynn was taken away from court in a prison van, which arrived at the Melbourne remand centre this afternoon.

Ms Clay, 73, and Mr Hill, 74, disappeared while camping in the Wonnangatta Valley on March 20 last year.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Bob Hill said yesterday police were yet to find the remains of the missing pair.

He said police had located a specific area of interest in the Greater Alpine region in the search for the remains, and that police were hopeful they would find them.

READ MORE: Man charged with murders of missing Victorian campers

Missing Carol Clay and Russell Hill.

"Our efforts to locate the remains of Russell and Carol will continue," he said.

"While this arrest is a testament to months of dedication and tireless work from detectives … it's far from over.

"Police are hopeful we will be able to locate the deceased and provide closure to the families."

Forensic specialists will commence their search among bushland over the coming days.

READ MORE: Torrential rain to get worse across multiple states

Assistant Commissioner Hill said investigators had established the pair were deceased by mid-2020.

Police also made it clear they were not looking for anyone else in relation to the investigation.

However, they are looking for a metal silver-blue trailer, which they say Mr Lynn was towing around the time the campers disappeared.

"We believe the trailer was sold on Gumtree," Assistant Commissioner Hill said.

Ken Grant found guilty of fatal hit-run after seven drinks

Retired police officer Ken Grant has been found guilty of hitting and killing a man when he got behind the wheel after seven drinks.

The father of the former police minister Troy Grant was at a Christmas party in Maitland, the NSW Hunter Valley region, in 2019 and had been planning to stay the night at the venue.

Instead, after three schooners and four glasses of wine he jumped behind the wheel and ran down scientist Tony Greenfield as he left the same function with his wife.

Kenneth Grant court NSW dangerous driving

Guests had described Grant as "hammered" and "incoherent" before he left.

Police were unaware of the hit-run but gave chase after noticing a swerving Mazda with two blown tyres.

After being pulled over he returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.194 – nearly four times the legal limit.

Grant told the officer "my son was the police minister".

Troy Grant told the trial his father had a history of sleep walking and his heath had been on the decline.

The once highly respected police inspector is now a convicted criminal after a judge found his abhorrent driving could only be explained by alcohol.

He faces up to a decade behind bars when he is sentenced in the new year.

Teen charged with murder of Queensland woman

A 17-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of 31-year-old Queensland woman, Rene Latimore.

Ms Latimore had been reported missing from her home in West Mackay, August 18, and found dead 11 days later in Koumala.

READ MORE: Torrential rain to get worse across multiple states

Rene Latimore was last seen in early August.

Her body was found at a rural property during search operations eleven days later.

Forensic examinations confirmed the woman was Ms Latimore.

During months of investigation, police appealed to the public for information regarding Ms Latimore's disappearance.

The teenager has been charged with one count of murder and remains in police custody.

READ MORE: China's 'artificial islands' and why there are concerns about them

Man dies after ute washed off road in Queensland floodwaters

A man has died in central Queensland today, with his ute found submerged in floodwaters.

The ute and the man inside was located in a creek off the Gregory Highway in Hibernia, west of Rockhampton in central Queensland.

A member of the public found the man in his ute around 7am this morning, and immediately called police.

READ MORE: Man charged with murders of missing Victorian campers

A police spokesperson said the man was the only one in the vehicle and he was located dead at the scene.

They confirmed police and emergency services were in the process of retrieving the vehicle, but that wet weather was impacting the retrieval process.

"Recovery of the vehicle may take some time due to the location and current weather conditions," police said in a statement.

READ MORE: Torrential rain to get worse across multiple states

https://twitter.com/BOM_Qld/status/1464013365496406021

Flood warnings had been issued in the region overnight, with more warnings of severe storms and flash flooding in parts of Queensland and NSW down the east coast.

Residents in affected areas have been reminded by authorities to not drive through floodwaters.

Police said it was unclear how the ute ended up in the water, with investigations continuing to determine how the man died.

They added it was unclear whether the man and ute had crashed prior to being swept into the floods.

The forensic crash unit will investigate the incident further. Any witnesses who saw a white Toyota Landcruiser ute travelling along the Gregory Highway overnight have been urged to come forward.

The man is yet to be formally identified.