Tag Archives: oceania

South Australia just hours away from opening borders

South Australia is just hours away from opening its borders, with the state government's entry website already sent more than 25,000 applications.

As of 12.01am, interstate visitors will be allowed to enter the state provided they are fully vaccinated and have applied through the government's EntryCheckSA process.

Quarantine requirements depend on where a person has arrived from. International visitors or domestic arrivals from areas deemed "high risk" will need to quarantine for seven days.

READ MORE: Wild weather to lash three Australian states

South Australia Premier Steven Marshall updates the media.

Most interstate arrivals will need to take a COVID-19 test in the 72 hours prior to arriving in South Australia.

Premier Steven Marshall said that the state had been working on becoming COVID-ready for "months".

READ MORE: She died from a snakebite. But the real killer was her husband

Traffic queued at the pop up Covid-19 testing site at Waterworld in Ridgehaven in Adelaide, South Australia.

"A lot of people have been waiting for this day. They've been dislocated from friends and family and of course they've been dislocated from business opportunities," Mr Marshall said.

South Australia's current double-dose vaccination rate is 77.4 per cent, shy of the state's anticipated 80 per cent target to open state borders.

Police reinforcements have been sent to the state's land borders, as authorities expect hundreds of residents to enter the state via road after midnight.

A full list of risk levels can be found on the SA Health website.

Australians expected to spend billions in Black Friday sales

They are the biggest Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales on record with every retailer jumping on the bandwagon this year from supermarkets to travel sites.

Australians are expected to part with around $5.5 billion over four days from this Friday with many retailers pulling the trigger early to get their hands on a slice of the spend.

It's a much-needed boost for retailers following months of lockdown in eastern states.

READ MORE: Wild weather to lash three Australian states

They are the biggest Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales on record with every retailer jumping on the bandwagon this year from supermarkets to travel sites.

Two years ago, November surpassed December as the biggest retail spending month of the year and this year will be no different.

Shoppers no longer wait for the Boxing Day sales, instead are focusing on securing bargains in the lead up to Christmas rather than just after.

Retail figures due out this Friday as the sales kick off in earnest are expected to show a 3.5 per cent lift in spending in October.

Some Westfields have also extended their trading hours for Friday.

They are the biggest Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales on record with every retailer jumping on the bandwagon this year from supermarkets to travel sites.

Westfield Parramatta will stay open till midnight; Bondi Junction till 10pm and Penrith, Liverpool and the city till 9pm.

For the first time, the supermarkets are also embracing the sales that originated in the US on a grand scale.

From Wednesday, Coles will discount a range of gift cards by 15 per cent, and sell heavily discounted repurposed Apple iPads, phones and watches and toys including Lego and Barbies.

There'll be 50 per cent off cosmetics and home decor in-store as well as 1270 online-only offers.

READ MORE: She died from a snakebite. But the real killer was her husband

They are the biggest Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales on record with every retailer jumping on the bandwagon this year from supermarkets to travel sites.

Woolworths is discounting more than 3000 products from Wednesday while their marketplace will have half-price goods ranging from food processors to toys and Nespresso machines.

Aldi has labelled its sale "Black Wednesday" offering things like cheap inflatable spas and electric scooters while also offering big discounts on well-known brands like Scanpan and Bonds.

Online retailer OzSale began its sale today with up to 80 per cent off full prices on Ted Baker, Bonds, Champion, Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger.

New offers will be released each day this week.

CEO Kalman Polak is expecting to double their orders from this time last year to ship 2400 cubic metres worth of stock in just five days.

"We think we might have between five to 10 times more traffic on our site than we normally have any other day," he told 9News.

He said the consumer appetite for discounts at the moment is huge.

READ MORE: New clue found in search for William Tyrrell

They are the biggest Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales on record with every retailer jumping on the bandwagon this year from supermarkets to travel sites.

Costco is running 12 days of deals right now that end on Friday and Amazon launched its sale today with new offers each day.

If it's a cheap holiday you're after, Wotif.com is among the travel sites with cheap hotel offers, particularly in Phuket.

Flights are due to resume to Thailand in January.

Furniture retailers are also offering half price on select bedding, dining and sofas.

Professor Gary Mortimer from the QUT Business School said this will be the biggest Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale on record.

"It gets bigger and bigger every year," he said.

"They've really shifted that promotional calendar so November is now much bigger for sales than December."

READ MORE: Austria hit with snap lockdown ahead of Christmas

They are the biggest Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales on record with every retailer jumping on the bandwagon this year from supermarkets to travel sites.

Professor Mortimer said Australians are expected to spend around $5.5 billion this year, up 10 per cent on last year's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

Whether you get your online orders in a timely manner remains to be seen with many retailers already struggling with delivery delays.

Thunderstorms and heavy rain continue across Queensland and NSW

Thunderstorms and rain are expected to continue across New South Wales and Queensland for the rest of tonight and into tomorrow.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said severe thunderstorms will carry on in south-east Queensland, between Harvey Bay and Mackay, through tonight.

Thunderstorms will also continue in north-east NSW throughout the evening and into tomorrow.

LIVE UPDATES: Borders to open to students, workers

A number of rescues have taken place in NSW today after heavy rainfall caused flash flooding in the Hunter region and north-east of the state.

A person became trapped inside their car after trying to cross floodwaters on Idaville Road in Merriwa in the Hunter region about 6.30am today.

He was found standing on the tray of his submerged ute as the river rose due to being inundated with rain.

A person had to be rescued after they were trapped in floodwaters in the Hunter region.

Merriwa Rescue crews were joined by NSW Police and Ambulance to save the man, who was then taken to hospital.

His car was left in the floodwaters.

"It seems the individual has not appreciated the speed or the depth of the water that was flowing across the causeway and unfortunately half way along his vehicle has been swept off the causeway," Andrew Luke from Merriwa Rescue Squad said.

Multiple rescues from NSW floodwaters

It sparked another warning for residents not to cross swollen rivers, or enter floodwaters.

"It's probably a stark reminder to others who decided it was a good idea to try it today," Mr Luke said.

Merriwa Rescue Squad said this was the second rescue this morning.

NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) also carried out a rescue in Forbes yesterday when a motorist was cut off by floodwaters.

She was driving down the Lachlan Valley Way when floodwaters cut off her access and she was unable to turn around.

The motorist was cut off by floodwaters in Forbes.

The NSW RFS helicopter happened to be flying around the area and was able to land and safely relocate the woman.

"It's important to note that some roads maybe cut off with little warning."

"So even if there are no warning signs or road closed signs never drive through flood waters," NSW RFS said.

The NSW Hunter region has been particularly impacted by flooding today.

9News reporter Olivia Grace-Curran captured Dora the horse swimming through floodwaters in the Upper Hunter.

The horse's paddock has been turned into a pool after it became inundated.

A horse has been captured swimming through floodwaters in the NSW Upper Hunter.

Floods also impacted Tamworth in the NSW north-east amid heavy rainfall.

Some residents were unable to go into work as Calala Lane was filled with flood waters, cutting off their route.

The road has since reopened.

Some students sitting their HSC in Tamworth had to relocate.

Tamworth High School and Farrer Memorial Agricultural High School advised their HSC students to attend different schools to sit their exams, and advised all other students to remain at home or report to their closest public school.

Flooding has hit the Tamworth area as more rainfall is expected today.

Moderate flood warnings remain in place for the Castlereagh River at Mendooran and the Peel River in Tamworth.

The Central West which has already been battered by flooding has an upgraded major flood warning for the Lachlan River at Jemalong.

Multiple minor flood warnings have been issued for inland rivers in the north-west and central west.

A Hazardous Surf Warning has been issued for the Macquarie and Hunter Coasts.

READ MORE: New clue found in William Tyrell search

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said another trough is expected to cross the state on Wednesday and Thursday this week, bringing more severe weather.

"Renewed flooding is possible in the inland rivers where there are minor to major flood warnings current," the BoM said.

The wild weather has already turned deadly, with a woman in her 30s has dying after being hit by a falling tree branch on the NSW Central Coast.

While two boys had to be rescued after being trapped in floodwaters in the NSW Lachlan River, with a police officer jumping in to save them.

Queensland

A severe thunderstorm warning remains in place for central Queensland, including Mackay.

The storm may bring heavy rainfall, damaging winds and large hail.

https://twitter.com/BOM_Qld/status/1462667129409388545

Further north, severe thunderstorms with heavy rain moved through south-east Queensland today.

This morning, Toowoomba was hit by severe storms, and Caboolture was lashed with torrential rain.

A total of 72mm of rain was recorded in Ma Ma Creek near the Lockyer Valley in just one hour and 23.6 mm fell in Brisbane between 6am and 9am.

The storm cell is expected to bring wet weather all week.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services said there will be more severe storms and heavy rainfall this summer.

"There is a risk of increased weather activity in the coming months, so our communities need to be ready," Assistant Commissioner Gary McCormack said. 

It comes as the BoM said there is a 66 per cent chance of a higher-than-average number of cyclones and rainfall for Australia's eastern region. 

Melissa Caddick's assets to be sold to repay $23m in stolen funds

Missing Sydney businesswoman Melissa Caddick's assets could soon be sold to repay more than $23 million she stole from her friends and clients.

Ms Caddick is suspected of stealing millions before she vanished from her Dover Heights home just over a year ago.

In a major win for her victims, some of Ms Caddick's assets will be sold, but not all of the money she took will be returned.

READ MORE: Wild weather to lash three Australian states

Before Melissa Caddick disappeared in November 2020, the Sydney business woman ripped off more than 60 investors to the tune of $25 million dollars.

The $6 million Dover Heights mansion is among Ms Caddick's assets to be carved up after the Federal Court officially appointed receivers and liquidators.

Anthony Koletti, Ms Caddick's husband, now stands to lose his home.

"It's the next stop – and indeed a critical and beneficial step – for investors who have lost money with Melissa Caddick," Bruce Gleeson, from Jones Partners Principal, said.

READ MORE: New clue found in search for William Tyrrell

A bunch of flowers at the fence in front of the Dover Heights home of Anthony Koletti, Melissa Caddick and her 15 year old son reside. Part of Melissa Caddicks remains were found at Bournda Beach on the South Coast of NSW. Dover Heights, Sydney, NSW. 26th February, 2021. Photo: Kate Geraghty

The property sale will only be a fraction of what Ms Caddick owed to 72 clients who she stole more than $23 million from over eight years.

Ms Caddick spent the money on designer cars, clothing, jewellery, and overseas trips instead of investing it.

She vanished a day after ASIC raids last November.

Some of her remains later washed up on a South Coast beach.

READ MORE: She died from a snakebite. But the real killer was her husband

Police believe Ms Caddick may have taken her own life after vanishing from Dover Heights.

The coroner's report is yet to be handed down.

The next step in the selling of Ms Caddick's assets may be complicated as her parents partly own her Edgecliff property, where they could claim ownership.

This means it may not be sold off.

Construction ban during lockdown went further than the health advice

The NSW Government's decision to shut down the entire construction industry during lockdown in July went further than health advice recommended, 9News can reveal.

In an email to the state's Health Minister Brad Hazzard, NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said more measures needed to be taken to stop the spread of COVID-19.

"There is a need to further reduce mobility of people and reduce workplace transmission events," she wrote, advising the: "closure of residential construction and non-essential repair services."

READ MORE: Wild weather to lash three Australian states

Instead, the government and then-premier Gladys Berejiklian shut residential, commercial and state-owned infrastructure projects like Westconnex, putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work for two weeks.

On July 13 when the email was written, there were 99 new cases of COVID-19. A fortnight later there were 176.

Six weeks later, on September 10, the state recorded 1603 cases.

The sledgehammer did not have the desired effect and cost the economy more than a billion dollars.

"For me as a business owner and for all my staff, the anxiety it caused and the issues that arose from that were absolutely devastating, it was such a hard time for us," Tane Butterworth from E Masonry Contracting told 9News.

"It was so frustrating for us to be sitting at home doing nothing at home when we could have been at work – working to the guides, working to the code, getting something done."

Dr Chant's advice was also ignored when she pushed for the same restrictions for the entirety Sydney. Instead, the government put curfews and harsher restrictions on certain council areas.

"I don't think the government was being straight with people of NSW through the pandemic… clearly they had advice they weren't following," NSW Opposition Leader Chris Minns said.

While he was the treasurer, Dominic Perrottet constantly argued with then-Premier Ms Berejiklian about her restrictions going too far.

Now he is premier, he will need to deal with the fallout from the construction industry and people like Mr Butterworth whose businesses were ravaged by the shutdown.

"The pain and suffering it caused us is something that will be with us for such a long time – for me and all my staff," Mr Butterworth said.