Test your brains with the Herald’s afternoon quiz. Be sure to check back on nzherald.co.nz for the morning quiz tomorrow. To challenge yourself with more quizzes, CLICK HERE.
Tag Archives: oceania
Tauranga couple claim $10.3 million Powerball prize: 'I went off like a rocket'
A Tauranga couple has ten million reasons to celebrate after winning $10.3 million with Powerball First Division on Saturday. The couple are regular Lotto players who have been playing the same numbers for a while now and one of…
Porirua mayor urges person responsible for early morning assault to turn themselves in
Porirua’s mayor is urging the person who assaulted a woman in her home to come forward, saying the victim won’t have the opportunity to heal until they do. A woman living on Durham St in Porirua heard a knock at her door at 5am…
Government's 'no evictions' policy giving gang members free licence to cause intimidation and fear: Judith Collins
The Government says the behaviour of Whangarei state house tenants who have terrorised their elderly neighbours is completely unacceptable and admits Kāinga Ora processes to resolve the standoff haven’t worked. And National…
Te Urewera hopes to reopen Lake Waikaremoana walk in late January
Te Urewera, home to Lake Waikaremoana, one of New Zealand’s great walks, is priming to open to the public and Ngāi Tūhoe users in late-January.The rohe and its famous lake walk have been closed since alert level 4 was…
State Highway 2 reopens in Wairarapa after car hits power pole
State Highway 2 in Wairarapa has reopened after a car hit a power pole earlier this afternoon.The road was closed near the intersection of Hupenui Rd in Greytown.Waka Kotahi NZTA has since advised the road is open again with a…
Two 'very loud' screaming frogs discovered in Australia
Two new screaming frog species have been discovered by researchers in eastern Australia.
The Slender Bleating Tree Frog is found in Queensland, while the Screaming Tree Frog ranges from Taree in New South Wales to just over the border in Victoria.
Information about the new species have been published today in journal Zootaxa.
READ MORE: Huge spike in Victoria's COVID-19 deaths
Australian Museum herpetologist and lead scientist on the FrogID project, Dr Jodi Rowley, said that the Bleating Tree Frog is well known to residents along the east coast of Australia for its extremely loud, piercing, almost painful call.
"These noisy frog bachelors are super loud when they are trying to woo their mates," Dr Rowley said.
The scientists analysed many calls submitted to the FrogID project from across Queensland and NSW to differentiate between the calls.
"Our examination revealed that their calls differ slightly in how long, how high-pitched and how rapid-fire they are. The Slender Bleating Tree Frog has the shortest, most rapid-fire and highest pitched calls," Dr Rowley explained.
Chief Research Scientist of Evolutionary Biology, South Australian Museum, Professor Steven Donnellan said that genetic work was the first clue that there are actually three species.
"Although similar in appearance, and in their piercing calls, the frogs are genetically very different. I'm still amazed that it's taken us so long to discover that the loudest frog in Australia is not one but three species," Professor Donnellan said.
Mum diagnosed with cancer after 34-month wait for colonoscopy
It took more than two-and-a-half years for doctors to diagnose Rhiannon Coombs with bowel cancer.
The 31-year-old, from the Mornington Peninsula in Melbourne's south east, thought she had done everything right when she went to see her GP at the first sign something was wrong.
That was back in December 2018.
LIVE UPDATES: Victoria records spike in COVID-19 deaths
Ms Coombs had started to notice some blood in her stools.
"That was my only symptom and it wasn't happening very often, just every three or so months," she told 9news.com.au.
Ms Coombs was put on the public waitlist for a colonoscopy, which is an elective surgery procedure.
A few months went by and Ms Coombs said she heard nothing. Her doctor sent in another referral to the local hospital.
In March 2019 Ms Coombs was given an appointment at the hospital to be assessed for the surgery.
"I was asked about my family history and what my symptoms were and then put on the public waitlist for the colonoscopy.
"I was told it would be about a three-to-six-month wait," she said.
READ MORE: How the pandemic has impacted cancer diagnosis in Australia
Fast forward 12 months and Ms Coombs still did not have a date for her colonoscopy.
It was by now March 2020, and Australia's first wave of the coronavirus hit, forcing elective surgeries to be delayed.
Ms Coombs said she didn't hear anything from the hospital until early July 2020, during a brief window between Melbourne's lockdowns in 2020.
A staff member who was updating its waitlist rang to ask if she still needed the surgery, to which Ms Coombs said yes.
READ MORE: Canberra mum calls for bowel cancer screening age to be lowered
Ms Coombs said she wasn't particularly worried about her symptoms at the time, because none of the doctors she had seen seemed to be.
"I had been to the doctor a couple of times, and I saw that person at the hospital," she said.
"I didn't think to look into it further.
"I thought, oh well, no one thinks it's urgent."
Then Ms Coombs fell pregnant with her first child, and her symptoms got worse.
"Every time I went to the toilet there was blood," she said.
"I thought I had a haemorrhoid so I went to the doctor, twice, because I thought I should just get this checked.
"The doctor didn't even examine me, they just said it'll be a haemorrhoid, because of my pregnancy."
Last month, Ms Coombs finally had her colonoscopy done – two years and 10 months after she was given her initial referral.
The news was devastating.
"I was told that what I thought was a haemorrhoid was actually a tumour, a five centimetre tumour," Ms Coombs said.
Do you have a similar story? Contact us at em********@******om.au.
Ms Coombs was diagnosed with stage-three bowel cancer.
Scans show the cancer has spread to some lymph nodes and the wall of her colon.
While caring for her five-month-old daughter, Hendrix, Ms Coombs is now facing a gruelling six months of chemotherapy and radiation, followed by surgery.
Ms Coombs said she had been left frustrated by a medical system that failed her.
"I did all the right things," she said.
"I went to the doctor because I wanted to check that it wasn't anything else.
"Who am I to know? I go to them because they're the professionals, and they tell me it's nothing really to be worried about, so that's what I believed."
Ms Coombs said she was left wishing she had not relied on the public health system, where already long wait waiting times and the pandemic had combined to create her 34-month wait for her colonoscopy.
The number of people waiting in Victoria for elective surgeries has ballooned during the pandemic.
As of September 2021, there were 67,600 people waiting for elective surgeries, figures from the Victorian Agency for Health information show.
Of those, 33,800 were waiting for category-three, "non-urgent" procedures, such as colonoscopies.
The average overdue wait time for category-three elective surgeries across the state in September 2021 was 225 days.
Tens of thousands of bowel cancer tests delayed
Bowel cancer claims the lives of 5255 Australians every year, including 290 people under the age of 50.
Despite a perception that it only affects older Australians, it is the deadliest cancer for young adults.
Cancer Australia has warned diagnoses have been delayed for a significant number of Australians during the pandemic.
There was an eight per cent drop in the number of tests carried out nationally in 2020, Cancer Australia figures show.
One of the biggest areas patients are "missing" is when it comes to colorectal cancer tests, such as for bowel cancer.
There were around 87,000 fewer of these tests such as colonoscopies carried out in 2020, Cancer Australia found. Usually there are almost 700,000 done annually.
Ms Coombs said she hoped her story would be a warning to others to be persistent in seeking answers for any medical concerns.
"Do what you think is right for you, for your health and peace of mind," Ms Coombs said.
"If you have symptoms of something that doctors are dismissing, just push and keep going until you find someone who's willing to get you the right tests."
Contact reporter Emily McPherson at em********@******om.au
GoPro's latest camera is a thousand leaps ahead of the original
GoPro's latest action camera is the highest quality and fastest action camera on the market, but only just.
It's hard to believe the first GoPro camera used film, and it wasn't until 2006 that the first digital GoPro was launched.
The first-ever GoPro could snap pictures using film from your wrist — it's obvious to see why this didn't take off.
READ MORE: Retailers jump the gun on Black Friday, Cyber Monday deals
The original digital GoPro camera couldn't record any audio, only shot in 10-second clips and was only capable of shooting at 10 frames per second.
Fast forward to 2021.
The HERO10 has arrived, and it's a force to be reckoned with.
GoPro's latest action camera is a thousand leaps ahead of the original design, boasting 23-megapixel photos, 120fps video at 4K and the option of 5.3K video resolution at 60fps — something that was almost unfathomable 20 years ago.
9News went hands-on with the new GoPro HERO10 to see how this latest camera stacks up against the previous model.
Design
At first glance, there's little difference between the HERO10 and HERO9.
The red paint on the battery clasp is gone, it's got a newly coloured logo and the lens is made from stronger glass – but it's what's inside this camera that really counts.
The GoPro HERO10 retails for $749, and for a camera of its calibre it's worth the cost.
GoPro claims the processor inside the HERO10, the GP2, is about twice as fast as the chip inside the HERO9.
And if the front display, live capture, upload and streaming speeds are anything to go by, they're far from wrong.
Video stabilisation
But it's video stabilisation where the GoPro HERO10 truly shines.
Stabilisation technology has taken an exceptional leap forward and GoPro's HyperSmooth 4.0 takes away almost any shaking or unwanted movement while recording, meaning all your sporting videos look great and are easy on the eyes.
Could the days of the Steadicam be a thing of the past?
I took the HERO10 out for a test drive attached to my kid's pram and the results aren't debatable.
The camera was exceptionally smooth, especially when I was forced to take the pram up a set of stairs due to the lift being out (video above).
Battery
Shooting at 5.3K resolution, or 120fps, will chew through your battery faster than other settings.
You'll get about an hour of continuous recording at 5.3K, with an extra half an hour on the standard 4K 60fps setting — so if you're looking at a longer shoot, make sure you check your settings and maybe pack an extra battery or two.
One way to conserve battery is to make sure the LCD screen saver is turned on while recording; this can be changed by swiping down from the top of the screen on the HERO10.
You can also choose whether to turn the front screen off — this little LCD won't chew through as much battery as the back.
The battery in the HERO10 is the same as the HERO9.
Photos and displays
The photo resolution on the HERO10 has been improved, up three megapixels compared to the previous camera.
It's a slight improvement but it's one that produces a cracking wide-angle photo.
The touch display, while fiddly at first, is ever so slightly easier to navigate and clearer than the previous model.
The screen on the front of the device, used for a "selfie" style of recording, remains in place — this is one of my personal favourite features.
Having a screen on the front allows you to back the GoPro right up to a wall and still see what the camera is pointing at but if you're too far away from the camera to see, there's always the app.
The Quik app
GoPro's Quik app is exactly when the name suggests. It's one of the best camera-connect apps going around right now.
Connecting live to the camera is trouble-free and super-fast.
The GoPro creates its own WIFI connection, producing a seamless link between phone and device.
I found I could transfer files to my iPhone, in the highest resolution, in just seconds.
If you really want to make the most out of the app, there's a subscription fee available.
The subscription enables cloud storage, automatic cloud upload and editing tools from your mobile phone.
It starts from about $8 per month, or $70 a year, but you can check it out with a free 30-day trial.
But don't think you have to cough up the extra cash, users can still take advantage of Quik's live view, recording and transfer features without paying for a subscription.
Performance and accessories
GoPro says the HERO10 is waterproof up to 10m. Unlike earlier models, gone are the days you'll need an external housing to protect your camera when diving.
Now there's a tonne of mounts and accessories compatible with the HERO10, from mini tripods, to camera straps, microphones and lights — if you need something for your GoPro you can probably get it.
The mounting connection on the HERO10 is the same as the HERO9, so if you are thinking of upgrading to the next model, be sure to hang on to all your mounts.
It's an obvious statement to make, but the HERO10 really is the best camera GoPro has ever produced.
While it's mostly just some slight tweaks and improvements, there's still no denying that this camera sets the new bar for action cams.
If you've already got your hands on the HERO9, there's no rush to upgrade.
While there's new features galore in the HERO10, the HERO9 is still an exceptional camera.
9News was supplied a unit of the GoPro HERO10 for the purpose of this review.
WA construction worker killed in building site accident
A 19-year-old man has died after he was struck in the head with a door while on a building site in Perth's southern suburbs.
Nathaniel Good was working on a residential development in North Coogee when the accident occurred around 9am Monday.
He was lowering an entry ramp when a door made of heavy steel and timber to fall on him.
READ MORE: Wild weather to lash three Australian states
Police said emergency services were on scene quickly but could not save the man.
"A lot of the workers are quite upset, as you'd imagine," Inspector Vic Hussey said.
"He received CPR at the scene, there was a lot of work to attempt to revive him, but to no avail unfortunately."
Work stopped immediately on the site and a full investigation is currently underway.
READ MORE: She died from a snakebite. But the real killer was her husband
In a statement, the company overseeing the project Mr Good was working on said it was devastated to learn of the incident.
"We are devastated by the events that took place today on a site adjoining one of our development projects in North Coogee," M/Construction director Michael Read said.
"Our thoughts go to the family of the deceased."
READ MORE: New clue found in search for William Tyrrell
Mr Good was an employee of a subcontracted business that was employed to perform a specific role on the site.
"M/Construction maintains the highest standards of onsite safety and we are doing everything possible to support WorkSafe and relevant authorities as they investigate the incident," Mr Read said.