The whole of NZ will move into the traffic light framework at 11.59pm on Thursday, December 2, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says. She made the announcement at a post-Cabinet press briefing this afternoon alongside director-general…
Tag Archives: oceania
Underwater robot finds wonderland of iridescent worms
From oversized woodlice-like creatures to faceless fish, in the deepest realms of the ocean lurk some of the strangest creatures known to humankind – with many yet to be discovered.
Katherine's lockdown extended after the NT records two local COVID-19 cases
The lockdown in Greater Katherine has been extended for a further 48 hours after two new local COVID-19 cases were recorded in the Northern Territory today.
Both cases are from Katherine – a 33-year-old mother of a primary school student, whose child has since tested negative twice, and a 67-year-old man.
A third case was detected in an international repatriation.
READ MORE: NT communities enter 'hard lockdown' after nine COVID-19 cases discovered
Chief Minister Michael Gunner said wastewater test results indicated further cases of COVID-19 were likely to be found in Katherine.
"We're still expecting more positive cases," he said.
The lockdown in Greater Katherine has been extended for a further 48 hours to 6pm on Wednesday.
Mr Gunner also announced Robinson River will come out of lockdown immediately and will instead transition to a lockout.
"A lockout means fully vaccinated residents are able to move about the community freely while wearing a mask and must stay within the Robinson River area, which includes the surrounding home lands," he said.
Mr Gunner said it was expected that Robinson River would have restrictions until December 1.
He said the high vaccination and testing rates in the community had made the difference to get the town out of lockdown.
"Robinson River has shown all Territorians how a lockdown can be done and won in the remote community," he said.
Four of the 37 cases of COVID-19 in the latest outbreak in the Northern Territory are now in hospital, while none are in intensive care.
Fines for people who escaped Binjari's hard lockdown
Acting Northern Territory CHO Charles Pain confirmed no new cases had been found in Binjari, which was sent into a hard lockdown on Saturday night, meaning residents are only allowed to leave their homes for medical help or an emergency.
Police Commissioner Jamie Chalker said about eight residents from Binjari left the town "late yesterday under the cover of darkness".
He said the escapees walked through a backtrack and got to Katherine before they were caught.
Six adults were each given $5024 fines.
Mr Chalker said compliance from people in Binjari had been solid by the majority, urging anyone who needs anything such as food to make contact with police and government staff on the ground.
READ MORE: Australia opens borders to tourists from two more nations
Hundreds of public servants stood down over vaccination status
Mr Gunner said the Northern Territory's public service vaccination rate was at 98 per cent following the first deadline for the vaccine mandate.
He said around 400 public servants' employment was ending due to their vaccination status.
"A small number of these are frontline roles that will be filled with new hires, but overall, there will be a reduction in the public service of about 300 positions," he said.
Mr Gunner said the reduction in public service staff numbers was a saving to the budget wage bill of about $30 million a year.
"This means that we can revise and improve the public service wages offer that's currently on the table," he said.
"This morning, I have written to all members of the public service with a new four-year wages policy.
"It is a $4000 lump sum bonus in the first year and an annual $2000 bonus for the remaining three years."
Ban on unvaccinated entering NT
A ban on people not vaccinated against COVID-19 arriving in the Northern Territory has today taken effect, while rapid antigen tests are now being required for people arriving from red zones.
Mr Gunner said some delays were expected at the airport due to the new change.
"It's the first day, so some teething problems are to be expected," he said.
Death at Howard Springs not related to COVID-19
Dr Pain has confirmed a man in his 40s died inside the Howard Springs facility last night, saying the death was "completely unrelated to COVID".
"That is clearly being investigated and I think at the moment it would be inappropriate to say anything more," he said.
Pupils at St Patrick's Catholic School give emotional karakia to dying whale
A group of Napier primary school pupils did a karakia as a mark of respect for a dying sperm whale they came across during a school camp outing.St Patrick’s Catholic School spent three days in Mahia on a school camp they will “never…
Eligible visa holders can enter Australia from December 1
Fully vaccinated eligible visa holders can come to Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption from December 1.
The move opens the door for tourists, backpackers, skilled migrants and international students to fly in for summer.
Japanese and Korean citizens who have been double-jabbed can also visit Australia from the same date without needing to quarantine, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced today.
READ MORE: Car smashes into US Christmas parade
A full list of the 28 eligible visa holders is available on the Home Affairs website.
Anyone hoping to visit Australia must be fully vaccinated and return a negative PCR test within three days of departing for Australia.
Because of the different rules in each state and territory, only New South Wales, Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory will allow travellers to fly in without quarantining.
Australia's safe travel bubble with Singapore opened yesterday.
Mr Morrison said the return of skilled workers and students to Australia is "a major milestone".
He also claimed Australians could look forward to the Christmas and holiday season in a way that "few around the world can".
Earlier, speaking on Today, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said reopening borders to 200,000 visa holders would be a real boost to Australia's economy.
Employers have complained of a shortfall in workers across a variety of sectors after Australia locked out the world for 18 months, when the pandemic began in early 2020.
READ MORE: Australia surpasses 85 per cent full vaccination rate
Yesterday, Australia ticked past the key milestone of 85 per cent double vaccinated for adults aged over 16, triggering the final phase of its reopening strategy.
According to Australian Bureau of Statistics figures, international education contributed a whopping $37.6 billion to the Australian economy in 2019.
READ MORE: Four children perish in tragic Melbourne house fire
Cycling NZ chief executive Jacques Landry resigns as inquiry into culture at sporting body continues
Cycling NZ’s chief executive has resigned as an independent inquiry into culture at the sporting body continues following the death of Olympian Olivia Podmore in August.Jacques Landry has resigned after three years in the top job…
Kāpiti residents petition council for safe crossing in Poplar Ave
A cycleway that is not safe for an eight-year-old is not safe for anybody, is the message presented to the Kāpiti Coast District Council by residents petitioning for a safe crossing in Poplar Ave.The petition, asking for a…
Man who allegedly punched Porirua woman in the face in random home assault still on the loose
The man behind an alleged violent assault against a woman in her Porirua home is still on the loose. A police spokesperson told the Herald inquiries into the incident are ongoing, but the offender has not been found. At 5am on…
Lower North Island man who raped child jailed for almost six years
A lower North Island man has been sent to prison for raping a child who was younger than 12 at the time.Judge James Johnston sentenced the man to five years and eight months imprisonment for rape in the Porirua District Court today.The…
Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Government reviewing 'heartless' gap in resurgence support payment scheme
The Government is reviewing a gap in the resurgence support payment scheme that is leaving some businesses without financial support, even though they’ve been operating for decades.The NZ Herald has spoken to two Auckland business…