Tag Archives: oceania

A court battle is brewing over Prince Philip's will

In the UK, a deep-seated debate on privacy is taking place after the Guardian newspaper announced it was taking legal action over the media's exclusion from a hearing on Prince Philip's will earlier this year.

In September, Andrew McFarlane, president of the High Court's Family Division, ruled that Phillip's will would be sealed for 90 years.

Among the few present was a lawyer representing the duke's estate from law firm Farrer & Co, the Queen's private solicitors, and the attorney general, the government's chief legal adviser.

READ MORE: Austrians enjoy final day before impending lockdown

Photograph of Philip visiting the headquarters of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force's 603 Squadron on July 4, 2015 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

The media weren't told of the hearing or permitted to attend, with the public interest represented by the attorney general.

A Guardian News & Media spokesperson told CNN in an emailed statement that the High Court's decision to ban the media from the court hearing without informing outlets or allowing them to make representations "is a clear threat to the principles of open justice".

"It is also concerning that the court appears to believe that only the attorney general can speak to the public interest," the spokesperson continued.

"We are seeking permission to argue that the behaviour of the high court in this instance constitutes a failure of open justice and that the case should be reheard."

According to British law, if a person prepares a will prior to their death, it becomes a public document after being admitted to probate, and anyone can obtain a copy from the Probate Registry for a fee.

Queen Elizabeth II watches as pallbearers carry the coffin of Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh into St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021.

READ MORE: Doctors pushed to the limit as new COVID-19 wave sweeps Europe

However, anyone can ask the court to "seal" a will and keep it private, according to Geoff Kertesz and Judith Swinhoe-Standen from UK law firm Stewarts.

"The court must be persuaded that it would be 'undesirable or otherwise inappropriate' to make the will public," they told CNN.

"Historically, the courts have approved such applications only for senior members of the royal family. It is unclear under what, if any, other circumstances the court might agree to keep a will private."

One recent senior royal whose will was made public was Diana, Princess of Wales, who gave up her HRH title when she divorced Prince Charles.

Judge McFarlane said in his ruling that "it has become the convention that, following the death of a senior member of the Royal Family, an application to seal their will is made" and that "it appears that such applications have always been heard in private and have invariably been granted".

The Queen Mother (R) arrives at The Guildhall in London with Princess Margaret, for a lunch to celebrate her 100th Birthday on June 27, 2000.

READ MORE: SA residents to be given care kits to treat COVID-19 at home

He said it was understood that the first member of the royal family whose will was sealed was Prince Francis of Teck, the younger brother of King George V's wife Queen Mary, who died in 1910.

Legal and royal expert Michael L. Nash told CNN: "It was Queen Mary who used these unusual royal powers and prerogatives never used before."

Francis died suddenly at the age of 40, following a botched medical examination of his nose, according to Nash, who also authored "Royal Wills in Britain from 1509 to 2008."

He said the prince was a "reckless gambler" but also an "extremely lovable character," who bequeathed treasured family jewels to his mistress in a draft version of his will.

Nash, who has seen a copy of the draft will that surfaced in archives in Northern Ireland, said the prince was constantly in financial trouble, and upon his death "Queen Mary knew that the creditors, once they saw the will, would descend and everything that Frank died possessed of would have to be sold in order to satisfy these massive debts."

He continued, "And she was absolutely mortified that the public would be able to know about the state that her brother had got himself into."

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II.

READ MORE Victorian Premier says his relationship with the PM will improve when the PM 'stops double-speaking to extremists'

Nash also pointed out that the family has faced legal challenges to the secrecy of royal wills before, the most recent of which was considered by the court in 2007.

He highlighted an application by Robert Andrew Brown, who claimed to be the illegitimate child of the Queen's sister, Princess Margaret. Brown sought to open Margaret's will, as well as that of the Queen Mother, but the claim was dismissed as a fantasy, Nash said.

Privacy has become the debate of the modern era for the British monarchy, with the question of how much privacy a family member deserves routinely emerging.

Critics often say royals use their positions and privilege to secure exemptions and evade scandal, while also noting that the Windsors are funded by taxpayers.

In his judgement, McFarlane said he was the custodian of a safe holding more than 30 envelopes, each of which supposedly contains the secret will of a dead royal.

The most recent additions were made in 2002 with those of the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret.

Princess Diana, is pictured during an evening reception given by the West German President Richard von Weizsacker.

READ MORE: NT communities enter 'hard lockdown'

McFarlane also touched upon why privacy was afforded for royal wills, saying: "The answer to the question 'why should there be an exception for senior members of the Royal Family?' is, in my view, clear."

He said "it is necessary to enhance the protection afforded to the private lives of this unique group of individuals, in order to protect the dignity and standing of the public role of the Sovereign and other close members of Her family."

Lawyers Kertesz and Swinhoe-Standen said there was a notable difference in the handling of the Duke of Edinburgh's wills and those of royals before him.

"All previously sealed royal wills are to be kept private indefinitely, but Prince Philip's will is different in that its privacy is time-restricted to 90 years," the pair said.

"After 90 years, certain officials may inspect it, and they may then invite the court to rule on whether the will should be made public at that point, or kept private for a further period."

Nash described the time limit as an "important advance," as the previous position meant wills were concealed in perpetuity.

"That gave serious misgivings to historians, lawyers, researchers — everybody that had a valid reason for reading the will," he added.

"I can see in future cases that 90 years tumbling down to, say, 50 years or even less. So that there is at least some possibility of people living now being able to read (a will) at some time in the future during their lifetime."

Tens of thousands protest against Belgium's tighter COVID-19 rules

Ten of thousands of people have demonstrated through central Brussels to protest against reinforced COVID-19 restrictions imposed by the Belgian government to counter the latest spike in coronavirus cases.

Many among the police estimate of 35,000 at the rally had already left for home yesterday when the demonstration descended into violence as several hundred people started pelting police, smashing cars and setting garbage bins ablaze.

Police responded with tear gas and water cannons and sought to restore order as dusk settled on the Belgian capital.

READ MORE: Europe hit by COVID-19 fourth wave, triggering new restrictions

Three police officials and one demonstrator were injured in the clashes.

In addition, 42 protesters were detained and two were arrested and charged in the violent spree that followed the march, said police spokesperson Ilse Vande Keere.

The marchers came to protest the government's strong advice to get vaccinated and any possible moves to impose mandatory shots.

Shouting "Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!" and singing the anti-fascist song "Bella Ciao", protesters lined up behind a huge banner saying "Together for Freedom" and marched to the European Union headquarters.

Amid the crowd, the signs varied from far-right insignia to the rainbow flags of the LGBT community.

The World Health Organisation said last week that Europe was the hotspot of the pandemic right now, the only region in which COVID-19 deaths were rising.

The northern autumn surge of infections is overwhelming hospitals in many Central and Eastern European nations, including Ukraine, Russia, Romania, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Over the past several days, there have been many anti-vaccination marches in European nations as one government after another tightened measures.

READ MORE: Austrians enjoy final day before impending lockdown

'Orgy of violence' in Dutch city

Dutch police arrested more than 30 people during unrest in The Hague on Saturday and other towns in the Netherlands that followed an "orgy of violence " the previous night at a protest against coronavirus restrictions.

The violence by groups of youths in The Hague and elsewhere Saturday night wasn't as serious as Friday night in Rotterdam, where police opened fire on rampaging rioters and arrested 51 people.

Police said that they arrested 19 people in The Hague and used a water cannon to extinguish a fire on a street.

READ MORE: Ukraine's doctors pushed to the limit by COVID-19 wave

Police in Rotterdam said that three rioters were hit by bullets and investigations were underway to establish if they were shot by police on Friday night.

The condition of the injured rioters wasn't disclosed.

Officers in Rotterdam arrested 51 people, about half of them minors, police said Saturday afternoon.

One police officer was hospitalised with a leg injury sustained in the rioting, another was treated by ambulance staff and "countless" others suffered minor injuries.

Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb called the rioting in his city an "orgy of violence" and said that "on a number of occasions the police felt it necessary to draw their weapons to defend themselves."

Austria begins lockdown

Austria is going into a 10-day national lockdown today for everyone after first imposing a lockdown on the unvaccinated.

Christmas markets in Vienna were packed yesterday with locals and tourists taking in the holiday sights before shops and food stalls are forced to close.

The measures are expected to last for a maximum of 20 days but will be reevaluated after 10 and require people to stay home apart from basic reasons like getting groceries, going to the doctor and exercising.

Restaurants and most shops will close, and larger events will be cancelled.

Schools and nurseries will remain open, but parents are encouraged to keep their children at home.

Waning immunity comes to the fore

Europe's initial vaccine rollout accelerated quickly in the early months of 2021, but nations are now reckoning with the gradually waning immunity of those doses.

Two real-world studies published last month confirmed that the immune protection offered by two doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine begins to drop off after two months or so, although protection against severe disease, hospitalisation and death remains strong.

Studies have shown similar outcomes for the AstraZeneca and Moderna shots, which are also in use in Europe.

"The immune reaction of those people who are vaccinated is decreasing over a certain period of time … and as the vaccination campaign started in Germany at the beginning of this year, we now see some age groups and some people lose their immunity against COVID-19 quickly," Tobias Kurth, a professor of public health and epidemiology and the director of the Institute of Public Health at the Charité University Hospital in Berlin, said.

Man dies after car hits tree and catches fire in Adelaide's south

A 68-year-old man has died after the car he was driving crashed into a tree and caught fire in Adelaide's south.

Emergency services were called to Port Road at Aldinga just after 7.30am today after reports a vehicle had smashed into a tree before catching alight.

The driver, a local man, died at the scene.

READ MORE: CCTV shows man walking towards end of street then chaos erupts

Police and emergency services on the scene at Port Road at Aldinga.

He was the only person in the car.

Police are investigating the cause of the crash.

Port Road was closed for several hours but has reopened.

The man's death is the 90th life lost on South Australian roads this year. This compares to 79 lives lost this time last year.

Four children die in Melbourne house fire

A family in Melbourne's south west has been torn apart after four children died in a house fire.

The victims were two boys, aged 10 and three, and two girls, aged six and one.

The children's father and mother and an eight-year-old boy escaped the blaze as neighbours did all they could to raise the alarm.

Friends and loved ones of the Werribee family today openly wailed in the street as they returned to the ruins of the home.

READ MORE: New clue found in woodland search for William Tyrrell

Emergency workers on the scene of the devastating house fire.

"The family that survive … it's devastating," a family friend told 9News, her voice wavering with grief.

"It's just too sad. Too sad."

Firefighters managed to gain entry to the house by breaking through the garage after the fire broke out about 1am. The intensity of the blaze had already collapsed the property's roof.

CCTV footage from nearby properties filmed the frantic efforts and raw emotions of neighbours who were also confronted by the blaze.

Loved ones of the victims embrace in grief.

"Oh my god, there's four kids inside," one woman's voice can be heard saying as smoke billowed across the street.

At one point, the father of the four victims could be heard screaming for his children.

"The dad keeps on shouting, 'my kids, my kids are gone'," one neighbour told 9News.

Fire Brigade Lieutenant Damien Molloy said the fire was already fully ablaze when firefighters arrived.

"We were presented with a house that was well alight," he said.

"Fire had already broken through the roof and was already coming out the front door."

READ MORE: Hero cop strips to underpants to save two boys from flooded NSW river

The inferno had already collapsed the home's roof before firefighters arrived.

Victoria Police Detective Senior Sergeant Ashley Ryan said "our hearts go out to the family and to the community".

Arson Squad detectives spent the day combing through the scene.

They are still trying to piece together how and where the fire started.

Senior Sergeant Ryan said it was too early to say whether the fire was suspicious or not.

Police have put a callout to anyone who might have witnessed the fire.

"We are calling on anyone who may have information who was driving past at the time, any dashcam footage, anything that may be able to assist us with the investigation," Senior Sergeant Ryan said.

The fire broke out at 1am at the home in Melbourne's south west.

New clue found in William Tyrrell search

A new clue has been extracted during a woodland search for William Tyrrell on the New South Wales Mid North Coast.

Police today photographed and bagged a black piece of fabric located in the same area where two pieces of red string were unearthed just days ago.

The new piece of evidence has been sent away for testing.

READ MORE: Australia surpasses 85 per cent full vaccination rate

Forensic police photograph possible evidence in the search for William Tyrrell.Officers form a human chain to remove debris from the search area.

On Friday an eight-by-eight centimetre piece of faded blue fabric was found near the creek in Kendall.

The fabric was also marked, photographed and bagged for forensic testing.

William was three when he disappeared from the Kendall home on September 12, 2014.

The new searches were launched this week, with police confirming they were looking for William's remains.

The extensive search has brought in several experts including an archaeologist, forensic anthropologist and a water expert.

READ MORE: Four children perish in tragic Melbourne house fire

There was a weather warning for heavy rain today, with up to 80 millimetres expected to hit the search area.

More rain is expected Sunday night and on Monday as the search enters a second week.

Detectives continue to investigate the theory William fell from a balcony at the home where he was last seen.

v

A car that formerly belonged to William's now-deceased foster grandmother was also seized and is undergoing forensic testing.

William's foster mother is being treated as a person of interest in the case.

She has not been arrested or charged.

Hero cop strips to underpants to save two boys from flooded NSW river

A police officer has stripped down to his underwear and dived into a flooded river to single-handedly rescued two boys in central west New South Wales.

Sergeant Joel Hunter is being praised for his courage after he jumped into the Lachlan River near Condoblin on Saturday afternoon and pulled the 11-year-olds to safety.

The boys had gone for a swim when they were quickly swept about 60 metres away by the fast-moving current.

READ MORE: Four children perish in tragic Melbourne house fire

The boys managed to grab hold of a rope attached to an exposed log in the middle of the river and called out for help to nearby campers at a caravan park.

Emergency workers received a call for help at 3.45pm and officers from the Central West Police District attended along with members of the SES and Rural Fire Service.

SES Condoblin Unit Commander Susan Bennett said police and SES arrived on the scene in less than four minutes.

"When we arrived we found two young boys hanging on a rope in the middle of fast flowing water," she said.

The boys yelled out that they could not hold on any longer.

Sergeant Hunter told 9News he quickly stripped down to his underpants, put on a life jacket and jumped in.

He swam out to the children and brought both boys back to the riverbank, all three of them escaping injury.

Sergeant Hunter said he understood the flow of the current and was able to navigate around it.

Chief Inspector Peter Atkins, the Officer in Charge of Orange Police Station, said he would commend Sergeant Hunter for a bravery award.

"The heroic efforts of Sergeant Hunter in rescuing these two boys in a fast-moving flooded river should be commended," Chief Inspector Atkins said.

"If not for the quick-thinking and courageous response from our police, the outcome could have been tragic for the families of these two boys.

READ MORE: Flash flood warnings as NSW lashed by heavy rain

SES Condoblin Unit Commander Susan Bennett pictured on the banks of the Lachlan River where the rescue took place.The flooded river mean currents were fast flowing.

"It serves as a timely reminder coming into summer, that people should avoid swimming in flood-affected rivers, as conditions are unpredictable, changeable and often dangerous."