Tag Archives: oceania

‘He’s trying to kill me’: Triple 0 call released after murder verdict

A woman's desperate triple zero call the night she was killed at home has been made public after a jury found her former partner guilty of murder.

Tatiana "Tanya" Dokhotaru died in her 22nd-floor apartment in south-west Sydney on the night of May 26, 2023.

"Yes, hi. My ex-boyfriend's here and he's trying to kill me," she told the operator during an 89-second call.

READ MORE: One person trapped after truck crash causes bridge collapse in NSW

Danny Zayat was found guilty of murder by majority verdict after a month-long jury trial in the NSW Supreme Court.

The triple zero call was released by the court after the verdict, along with numerous exhibits, including CCTV footage showing Zayat running from the building after the murder.

Phone videos of bruising on Dokhotaru's neck from an earlier attack by Zayat were also made public.

The jury heard he had stolen $130,000 cash, his ex-girlfriend had kept stashed at home in a shoebox, earned from her Instagram business selling imitation designer goods.

Zayat's lawyer had claimed his texts to Dokhotaru weeks before her death undermined allegations he badly beat her with the intention of ending her life.

Texts sent by the 30-year-old show he loved and cherished her, despite their volatile and dysfunctional relationship, the jury was told.

"I really wish things could have been different between us but I'm a f— up … I don't want to continue to drag you down with me like I have been," Zayat texted her on May 6.

"You will always be my first proper love, and I don't think I could ever love anyone else like I love you."

Zayat's barrister, Madeleine Avenell SC, argued there was a reasonable possibility that Dokhotaru's fatal brain injury might have been a result of accidents rather than three injuries inflicted by Zayat.

The builder told reporters in an interview before he was charged with murder that his ex had died from a drug overdose.

Thursday's 11-1 verdict showed the jury sided with the Crown, which had extensively detailed Zayat's prior violence and control towards his victim.

Dokhotaru had confided in a friend that her ex-partner had allegedly dragged her by the hair, spat on her repeatedly and threatened to kill her during a fight.

"I was fighting him off. I tried calling the cops, but he said he'll kill me if I do," she wrote on April 13.

"It was absolute hell. My body is in shock. My mind is too."

In the messages read out in court, Dokhotaru confided she felt "so humiliated and violated" after the alleged assault and was struggling to process it.

Weeks later, she told her friend Zayat attacked her again after claiming she had been messaging his friend.

"He strangled me so bad, my throat is so bruised and swollen, I can barely breathe," Dokhotaru texted on May 1.

Dokhotaru's parents, who live in Canada, testified in October about Zayat's regular abusive phone calls to their daughter during a visit in 2022.

Zayat was remanded in custody until his sentence on December 19.

Justice Desmond Fagan dismissed defence pleas to not move so quickly to sentence, despite hearing that state-funded psychological and psychiatric reports would need to be prepared.

"Legal Aid must consider this promptly … and someone must prepare in anticipation of getting that grant," he said.

Dokhotaru's parents were not in Australia for the verdicts.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

Man in critical condition after being attacked by several dogs in Sydney’s west

A man is in critical condition after being attacked by several dogs in Sydney's west.

Emergency services arrived at a property in Kildare Road in Doonside about 11am following reports of a dog attack.

When officers arrived, they were told a man had been attacked by several dogs.

READ MORE: Death toll rises to at least nine in Kentucky cargo plane crash

Police and animal control standing outside a home in Doonside after a dog attack that left a man seriously injured.A doonside home where a man was attacked by a dog.

The 54-year-old was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Westmead Hospital in a critical condition.

Six dogs have been seized from the property by Blacktown City Council. 

A council spokesperson said three dogs would be euthanised.

"At the request of the owners, three dogs, believed to be of the cross Bull Arab type, were voluntarily surrendered to Council and have been euthanised," the spokesperson said in a statement.

"Preliminary information indicates the incident began when several large dogs attacked smaller dogs on the property.

"Council is committed to community safety and will continue to support police as enquiries continue."

This incident comes as the second dog attack in Sydney this week after a man was mauled inside his unit on Monday.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

‘I don’t know how you live with yourself’: Family confront teen killer

Ashley Gordon's loved ones were meant to meet him for lunch one summer's day, but instead ended up saying goodbye to him in a morgue.

When his sisters, niece and other family members set off from regional Victoria to Melbourne on January 13, 2024, they had no idea the beloved 33-year-old GP was already dead.

He had been stabbed by a 16-year-old boy in Doncaster, in Melbourne's east, in a knife attack that pierced his heart.

READ MORE: Mexico President Claudia Sheinbaum presses charges after man gropes her on the street

The Age, News, 12/06/2025, photo by Justin McManus. Ash Gordon murder trail Supreme ct. Dr Ash Gordon during a home invasion in Doncaster. Parents Glen and Catherine Gordon along with other family members arriving at court.

"You took my brother Ashley's life and in doing so shattered ours," Ashley's sister Tammy Gordon told the Supreme Court today.

"I don't know how you live with yourself, knowing you have taken a life so viciously."

Victim impact statements from members of the Gordon family described the pain of an empty chair at family celebrations and loved ones struggling to come to terms with his death.

Sister Natalie Gordon's arm is covered with a tattoo of the brother she describes as her lifelong best friend, the person she thought would be there to help navigate life's toughest moments.

Ashley Gordon's Natalie sister turn up at the Supreme Court for the plea hearing for KT, a 17-year-old boy found guilty of the murder of Melbourne GP Ashley Gordon during a burglary at his Doncaster home in January 2024. 6 November 2025. Photo: Eddie Jim.

"Ashley and I were always in each other's corner. Now my corner is empty," Natalie told the court.

She is pained knowing he will never have a family of his own and can't comprehend his life was taken by a teenager.

"If you ever come looking for forgiveness, do not come looking for me. I will never forgive you," she said.

Ashley's mother Catherine said her life was without joy and like a nightmare from which there was no escape.

"There is such a gaping hole in my life. Nothing can fill it," her daughter Natalie said on her behalf.

The now-18-year-old killer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was in June convicted of murder by a jury and admitted to two counts of aggravated burglary.

READ MORE: US wants UN sanctions lifted on former al-Qaeda fighter turned Syrian president

The court previously heard the teen and a friend broke into Ashley's home in Doncaster as the GP slept and stole several items.

Later on, the teen and three others returned, but this time Ashley was awake and chased them out onto the street.

He got into his car, followed the group and caught up with them at a nearby carport where the boy stabbed the GP.

During his trial, the teen said he thought Ashley tried to kill him with his car and continued advancing even when he pulled out the knife and said "I don't want to do this".

On Thursday, Justice Amanda Fox said she found the teen's evidence Ashley had put his head down and ran at a person with a knife "implausible".

Ashley Gordon's older sister turn up at the Supreme Court for the plea hearing for KT, a 17-year-old boy found guilty of the murder of Melbourne GP Ashley Gordon during a burglary at his Doncaster home in January 2024. 6 November 2025. Photo: Eddie Jim.

Defence barrister Amelia Beech requested her client stay in a youth justice facility as long as possible in the hope it would increase his chance of rehabilitation.

She raised his age and lack of prior convictions, describing the offending as spontaneous and not gang-related.

"We submit that there are early signs of insight and early signs of remorse," Beech said.

Senior crown prosecutor Kristie Churchill described the stabbing as a ferocious attack and called for a lengthy prison term.

She said the teen's claim of self-defence was in dispute, telling the court Ashley was barefoot and unarmed when he was killed.

The teenager will be sentenced later in 2025.

Rail worker killed after bridge collapses on truck in NSW

A rail worker has died after a bridge collapsed when it was hit by a "cherry picker" truck in New South Wales' Central West.

Emergency services worked for hours to free the trapped 34-year-old, who was a passenger in the truck, but he died at the scene.

The 38-year-old driver of the truck managed to escape the cabin.

READ MORE: Death toll rises to at least nine in Kentucky cargo plane crash

Police on scene at a bridge collapse in Lithgow after it was struck by a truck.

"The scene presented some complexities for responding emergency services," said Acting Superintendent John Walke.

"We've had to use cranes and so forth in order to try and move the bridge and safely remove the vehicle."

"It's a very unfortunate and tragic result."

Both men were Sydney Trains workers. 

SafeWork NSW has been notified.

Emergency services were called to Inch Street in Lithgow following reports of the truck crash about 8.50am.

Officers responded to find that a 'cherry picker' had hit the bridge, causing it to collapse.

"We'll be supporting not only our own staff but our people across the railway who will feel this loss and working as we investigate the cause of this accident," Sydney Trains Chief Executive Matt Longland said.

A recovery operation is still ongoing as emergency services continue to try and safely move the bridge and remove the truck. 

Part of the investigation into the cause will examine the driver's speed and whether there was adequate signage on the bridge.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Man charged with murder after woman suffered fatal injuries fleeing alleged abuse

A man has been charged with murder after Sydney woman Claire Austin died from injuries sustained while allegedly fleeing her boyfriend's abuse.

Austin, 38, was found critically injured with a severe laceration to her arm at a unit on Randwick Street in Randwick about 7.40am on April 12.

She was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being taken to St Vincent's Hospital in a critical condition.

READ MORE: Why thousands of Australians are buying and selling snack vending machines

A woman who died in hospital after an alleged domestic violence incident at an apartment in Sydney's east has been identified as Claire Austin.

READ MORE: WA dad wearing nothing but SpongeBob undies takes down alleged carjacker

Austin – a marketing manager originally from the UK – died in hospital several days later.

Detectives established Strike Force Lyndoch to investigate Austin's death.

Police arrested a 44-year-old man, who was known to Austin, at a home in Little Bay in Sydney's eastern suburbs about 9am today.

He was taken to Maroubra Police Station and has been charged with murder (domestic violence) and abusive behaviour towards an intimate partner (coercive control).

He was refused bail to appear in court tomorrow.

Man charged with murder after death of Sydney woman Claire AustinEmergency services were called to a unit on Randwick Street about 7.40am Saturday, following reports of a concern for welfare.

Police previously spoke to the man at the unit on the evening of Austin's injury.

He was taken to Maroubra Police Station but later released without charge before being taken to a mental health facility.

READ MORE: Death toll rises to at least nine in Kentucky cargo plane crash

NSW Premier Chris Minns said in April that police were taking the investigation incredibly seriously.

"I want the public to be assured that there's a task force that's been set up by NSW Police, they're taking it incredibly seriously, and the focus will be justice for that woman and her family," he said.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.