None of the 48 patient files he looked at were, or ever would be, his patients.
Tag Archives: oceania
Cocaine worth $12.6m found stashed in container delivered to Auckland business
Staff found the package while unloading legitimate goods shipped from Brazil.
Minister warned of crime advisory group chair Sunny Kaushal’s ‘concerning behaviour’
RNZ found a $15,711 tax issue linked to Kaushal’s invoices last year.
Te Pāti Māori: John Tamihere’s call for MPs to quit ‘unhelpful’ to reconciliation attempts: Iwi leaders’ forum
John Tamihere and the TPM co-leaders are expected to meet with the forum on Tuesday.
Andrew to remain in NZ’s line of succession unless Palace asks, Luxon says
Prime Minister Christopher Luxon says there were no plans yet to change that.
Wellington City Council’s $207m Jervois Quay lease deal revealed after Ombudsman investigation
Details of the deal for the former Datacom building were initially kept secret.
Only third of Aussies are wearing sunscreen most days, in line with guidelines
Just over a third of Aussies are wearing sunscreen most days, despite more than half of us spending more than 15 minutes outside in peak UV hours, according to data analysed by health insurer iSelect.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics data showed just more than half of Australians (54.3 per cent) use three or more measures to protect their skin.
These most commonly include wearing sunglasses, protective clothing, a hat or staying in the shade, but just 38.3 per cent of Australians wear SPF 30+ most days.
READ MORE: Optus bosses admit failures in triple-zero outage that left three dead
The Cancer Council recommends using sunscreen every day on days when the UV Index is forecast to be 3 or above, in addition to wearing protective clothing, a broad-brim hat, sunglasses and seeking shade when possible.
iSelect general manager Andres Gutierrez said regular sunscreen use was alarmingly low.
"Consistent and effective sunscreen use is low, highlighting a key gap in everyday sun protection habits that could increase the risk of skin damage and skin cancer," Gutierrez said.
He said recent sunscreen recalls could potentially cause Australians to question their efficacy.
"There is no doubt that the recent sunscreen recalls have impacted consumer trust and confidence in product safety, leading many Australians to question and be more cautious about which sunscreen they choose and how consistently they use them," Gutierrez said.
"Without strong confidence in sunscreen efficacy and safety, we risk undermining the protective behaviours that are key in reducing sun damage and skin cancer risk."
The data found more than half (61.2 per cent) of Aussies are outside for more than 15 minutes during peak UV hours, adding up to more than two days each week and 9.4 per cent of us still reported deliberately trying to get a sun tan.
"This is extremely concerning as intentional sun exposure significantly increases the risk of long-term skin damage," Guiterrez said.
"The study also revealed that nearly seven per cent of Australians had also experienced a sunburn."
iSelect analysed the ABS data to see which regions are the most sun-safe overall.
It found the Australian Capital Territory had the best sun-safe behaviour, despite having only moderate to high levels of UV and average sunshine hours.
The ACT was followed by the Greater Darwin region and the Greater Brisbane region, where residents were more likely to be aware of the extreme UV risk.
Sun safety was worst in Tasmania, where the UV risk is lower.
Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Orca pod seen hunting sharks with special ‘paralysis’ move
Scientists have captured incredible images of orcas hunting great white sharks with specialised techniques.
The orca pod in question has been seen in the Gulf of California, targeting junior great whites.
Previously, shark-hunting orcas had only been seen around South Africa, where they targeted larger adults.
READ MORE: Police give major update on horror Britain train mass stabbing
The Gulf of California pod, dubbed Moctezuma's pod, also displays specific hunting methods.
They flip the sharks upside-down to induce a temporary paralysis, before eating their livers, which are rich in energy.
"I believe that orcas that eat elasmobranchs – sharks and rays – could eat a great white shark, if they wanted to, anywhere they went looking for one," said marine biologist Erick Higuera Rivas, project director at Conexiones Terramar and Pelagic Life and lead author of the article in Frontiers in Marine Science.
READ MORE: Pentagon preparing war plans after Trump threatens nation online
"This behaviour is a testament to orcas' advanced intelligence, strategic thinking, and sophisticated social learning, as the hunting techniques are passed down through generations within their pods."
The scientists spotted two hunts, killing three white sharks, during routine monitoring of the orcas.
During the first hunt, in August 2020, five orcas were seen pursuing a juvenile white shark.
READ MORE: The concerning factor believed to be behind surging house prices
They pushed it to the surface and worked together to turn it upside down.
Ultimately, they took it underwater and reappeared with the shark's liver in their mouths.
Shortly afterwards, they did the same with a second juvenile shark.
READ MORE: 'Heroic' staffer fighting for his life after saving people in UK train stabbing
A second hunt, witnessed in August 2022, followed a similar pattern: five orcas pushed a juvenile white shark onto its back and up to the surface.
The shark was bleeding from its gills, and its liver was visible. The orcas were seen eating it.
Turning a shark upside down like that induces a state called tonic immobility, by changing the shark's awareness of its surroundings in a way that paralyses it.
"This temporary state renders the shark defenceless, allowing the orcas to extract its nutrient-rich liver and likely consume other organs as well, before abandoning the rest of the carcass," Higuera said.
By looking at the sharks' injuries, scientists think that orcas could have developed a specialised technique to induce this state which minimises the chances of being bitten.
"This is the first time we are seeing orcas repeatedly target juvenile white sharks," said Dr Salvador Jorgensen of California State University, an author of the article.
"Adult white sharks react quickly to hunting orcas, completely evacuating their seasonal gathering areas and not returning for months.
"But these juvenile white sharks may be naive to orcas. We just don't know yet whether white shark anti-predator flight responses are instinctual or need to be learned."
DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Guilty verdict after body stuffed into tree and burned in ‘cold-blooded’ murder
A man who shot a convicted killer three times, shoved him into a tree and set it on fire has been found guilty of the "cold-blooded" murder.
A NSW Supreme Court jury today delivered its verdict on the death of David Collisson, 53, on a rural property near Mudgee, in central western NSW, on September 25, 2023.
Eric James Forrest will face sentencing submissions in February.
READ MORE: Police give major update on horror Britain train mass stabbing
He joins his victim as a convicted murderer after Collisson was jailed for two decades for the 2000 murder of a teenager in a bungled robbery attempt.
Shahab Kargarian and his girlfriend were eating takeaway in a park on Sydney's north shore in 2000 when Collisson, accompanied by another man, demanded the 17-year-old boy's wallet.
Collisson then shot Shahab four to five times in a robbery gone wrong.
Forrest's trial was told when faced with death on the Mudgee property, Collisson made a desperate appeal to his killer's humanity.
Prosecutors told jurors the victim drove to the country a day earlier to collect goods to sell, but was killed after 9.12pm the next night on a secluded hill.
Forrest pulled out a sawn-off shotgun and pointed it at Collisson, saying forcefully "you want to treat me like a gronk".
"The Crown case is that the accused was angry about something – precisely what is not known," crown prosecutor Emma Blizard told the jury in early October.
She said Collisson pleaded with the younger man, telling him "please don't, I've got kids" and "I love you Eric, like, you're my brother" before he was shot in the neck or shoulder.
READ MORE: The concerning factor believed to be behind surging house prices
He tried to run away, but Forrest reloaded the gun and shot him twice more, Blizard said.
Collisson's body was moved into a large hollow tree stump and burned, the jury heard.
Bone fragments – including 17 teeth – were found inside the tree.
Forrest's lawyer cast doubt on the prosecution witnesses' evidence, saying they had used ice, which could have affected what they were able to tell the court.
One eyewitness had also received a reduction in his sentence for criminal matters in exchange for his assistance with the three-week trial, Justine Hopper said.
Jurors spent almost a week deliberating before returning a guilty verdict to murder about 11.25am today.
In November 2023, the then-homicide commander of NSW Police said Collisson had been killed in cold blood in a brutal fashion.
"You can only call it callous and cold-blooded, the way he's been killed," Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said.
Forrest will return to court on February 27 for sentencing submissions and will be sentenced at a later date.
Sole survivor of fatal NSW mine explosion faced with permanent hearing loss
The only survivor of a mine explosion that killed two people has sustained permanent hearing damage, her family has said.
An explosion rocked an underground mine in Cobar in far western NSW last week, leaving a man and a woman dead.
Sole survivor Mackenzie Stirling, aged in her 20s, was taken to hospital with hearing loss and shock.
READ MORE: Optus bosses admit failures in triple-zero outage that left three dead
Stirling is now out of hospital and recovering at home, according to her family, but they have revealed she is suffering from permanent hearing loss.
"While now recovering at home, Mackenzie has sustained permanent hearing damage and continues to struggle with the traumatic events of that day," Emma Thomas, Stirling's aunt, said on a crowdfunding page.
"She faces a long road to recovery and, on top of that, the financial strain of covering her bills and medical expenses while unable to return to work."
Fellow worker Holly Clarke, 24, was brought to the surface alongside Stirling, but sadly died of her injuries.
Also killed was Ambrose "Ambie" McMullen, 59, an Irish national fondly remembered as a "true gentleman" by locals.
All three were Cobar locals.
READ MORE: Boy, 11, killed in quad bike crash on Darwin mango farm
Authorities are still investigating how the tragic explosion occurred but it is believed the workers were using a ballistic disc explosive to clear a blockage when it detonated.
The explosives are usually detonated remotely.
"We will leave no stone unturned in identifying what has occurred here," spokesperson for the NSW Mineworkers Alliance Tony Callinan said.
"This is a tragic reminder that underground mining is a dangerous job."
New South Wales Premier Chris Minns also expressed his sorrow at the "heartbreaking incident," he said last week.
"Everyone who goes to work has the right to come home."
DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.