Tag Archives: oceania

Cruise cancelled after passenger left behind on island died alone

A luxury cruise has been cancelled after an 80-year-old woman who was left behind on a shore excursion died alone.

Suzanne Rees was reported missing to authorities last Saturday night, when a check of the cruise ship the Coral Adventurer revealed she was missing.

She had been part of Coral Expedition's cruise to the exclusive resort destination Lizard Island, off the coast of Cooktown in Far North Queensland, earlier that day.

READ MORE: Witnesses recall stabbing victims fleeing through carriages in terror on UK train

Suzanne Rees, 80, was reported missing to authorities last Saturday night, when a check of the cruise ship the Coral Adventurer revealed she was missing.

Search and rescue crews, who had been scouring the land and sea for her, found her dead on the island the following day. 

Suzanne's daughter said her mother had fallen ill while on a hike and was asked to head back down alone.

The Master of Coral Adventurer has now been banned from embarking any new passengers following a notice issued by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (ASMA).

"AMSA understands the Coral Adventurer is intending to return to Cairns where AMSA will attend it on arrival," the maritime safety body said in a statement.

"Questions about the reason the vessel's destination has changed or the vessel's estimated time of arrival are to be directed to Coral Expeditions."

Coral Adventurer

A balcony room on the Coral Adventurer costs $86,400, according to travel agent Clean Cruising.

It holds just 120 passengers.

Queensland Police is investigating the death, but has ruled it non-suspicious.

READ MORE: Man charged with murder after woman found dead in Hunter Valley home

Lizard Island Resort north of Cairns in Queensland made it ito the best resorts in the world list

READ MORE: Nine injured after giant hailstones pummel school fair

Rees' daughter Katherine said the family had been left "shocked and saddened" by her much-loved mother's death.

"From the little we have been told, it seems that there was a failure of care and common sense," she said in a statement.

"We understand from the police that it was a very hot day, and mum felt ill on the hill climb."

"She was asked to head down, unescorted. Then the ship left, apparently without doing a passenger count.

"At some stage in that sequence, or shortly after, mum died, alone."

Kathleen described her mother as a "healthy, active 80-year-old".

"I hope that the coronial inquiry will find out what the company should have done that might have saved mum's life," she said.

Coral Expeditions chief executive Mark Fifield offered his apology to the woman's family and said the company was working with authorities in their investigations.

Coral Expeditions can confirm the tragic death of a passenger on the Coral Adventurer during an excursion to Lizard Island in Queensland," he said in a statement.

"While investigations into the incident are continuing, we are deeply sorry that this has occurred and are offering our full support to the woman's family.

"The Coral team have been in contact with the woman's family, and we will continue to offer support to them through this difficult process.

"We are working closely with Queensland Police and other authorities to support their investigation."

A report is being prepared for the coroner.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

‘Run’: UK train stabbing victims fled through carriages in terror

Witnesses say victims of a mass stabbing on board a train bound for London were forced to flee their alleged attacker through the carriages.

Nine people have been left with life-threatening injuries and a tenth sustained a non-life threatening wound after the stabbing on a train near Cambridge in the United Kingdom at 7.42pm (6.42am AEDT).

Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident, police said.

READ MORE: Nine people fighting for life in hospital after mass stabbing on UK train

Police stand guard near the Huntingdon, England, train station in Cambridgeshire, after people were stabbed on a train, Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025. (Chris Radburn/PA via AP)

READ MORE: Man charged with murder after woman found dead in Hunter Valley home

A witness to the stabbing told the BBC he saw a man raise the alarm to fellow passengers as he bolted through the carriage with a bloodied arm.

The man recalled hearing him say "they've got a knife, run".

He also said another passenger was seen collapsed on the floor of the train.

Another witness, who was on the platform at Huntingdon when the train approached, said multiple people were bleeding as they disembarked the train.

London Underground worker Dean McFarlane told the BBC one victim was wearing a white shirt "completely covered in blood".

Emergency responders on the platform by the train at Huntingdon station in Cambridgeshire, after a number of people were stabbed. Two people have been arrested after British Transport Police were called to the incident on a train. Picture date: Saturday November 1, 2025. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Chris Radburn/PA WireEmergency personnel inspect a train at the Huntingdon, England, train station in Cambridgeshire after people were stabbed Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025. (Chris Radburn/PA via AP)

Passer-by Cassie saw police at the scene as the train arrived at Huntingdon station.

"We thought it was a train crash," she told Cambridgeshire Live.

"[There were] more emergency services than I have ever seen."

Some told Sky News of people trampling over each other, and some hiding in the toilets to escape.

Another saw one of the attackers being Tasered by police before being arrested.

The LNER train stands at Huntingdon Station after a stabbing attack on the Doncaster to London-bound service.

Olly Foster told the BBC he heard people shouting "run, run, there's a guy literally stabbing everyone", but he believed it might have been a Halloween prank.

He then saw a man "covered in blood" and saw "blood all over the chair" he had leaned on.

A man "blocked" the attacker from stabbing a girl, leaving him hurt, he said.

It was the 6.25pm service travelling from Doncaster to London King's Cross, British Transport Police confirmed.

British Transport Chief Superintendent Chris Casey described the stabbing as "shocking" and said it would take some time before more information about the incident becomes clear.

The Huntingdon, England, train station in Cambridgeshire is seen after people were stabbed Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025. (Chris Radburn/PA via AP)

"This is a shocking incident and first and foremost my thoughts are with those who have been injured this evening and their families," Casey said.

"We're conducting urgent enquiries to establish what has happened, and it could take some time before we are in a position to confirm anything further.

"At this early stage it would not be appropriate to speculate on the causes of the incident."

Two people were arrested at the station, which is around 120km north of London.

Huntington MP Ben Obese-Jecty told the BBC the attack happened after the train left Peterborough.

"Plato" was declared initially – the UK code word used by and emergency services when responding to a "marauding terror attack" – before it was later rescinded.

Counter-terrorism officers are assisting in the investigation however police have not yet established a motive.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Two new suspects charged over Louvre jewels heist

The Paris prosecutor said two new suspects were handed preliminary charges for their alleged involvement in the crown jewels heist at the Louvre museum, three days after they were arrested by police as part of the sweeping investigation.

Prosecutor Laure Beccuau said a 37-year-old suspect was charged with theft by an organised gang and criminal conspiracy.

He was known to authorities for previous thefts, the statement said.

READ MORE: Man charged with murder after woman found dead in Hunter Valley home

Louvre museum heist

The other suspect, a 38-year-old woman, was accused of being an accomplice.

They were both incarcerated.

They both denied involvement, the prosecutor said.

The lawyer for the woman, Adrien Sorrentino, told reporters his client is “devastated" because she disputes the accusations.

"She does not understand how she is implicated in any of the elements she is accused of," he said.

READ MORE: Man's new Tesla struck by suspected meteorite on remote Aussie highway

Empress Eugénie's crown is displayed at the Apollo Gallery in the Louvre museum in Paris on January 14, 2020.

Jewels have not been recovered

Officials said the jewels stolen in the October 19 heist have not been recovered – a trove valued around €88 million ($155 million), that includes a diamond-and-emerald necklace Napoleon gave to Empress Marie-Louise as a wedding gift, jewels tied to 19th-century Queens Marie-Amélie and Hortense, and Empress Eugénie’s pearl-and-diamond tiara.

Five people were arrested by police on Wednesday in connection with the case, including one tied to the heist by DNA.

That person is suspected of belonging to the team of four who used a freight lift truck to enter the Louvre. The prosecutor did not specify whether the person was among those charged on Saturday.

The three others have been released without charge, Beccuau said.

Two earlier suspects, men aged 34 and 39 from Aubervilliers, north of Paris, were charged this week with theft by an organised gang and criminal conspiracy.

Beccuau said both gave “minimalist” statements and “partially admitted” their involvement.

The two are believed to be the men who forced their way into the Apollo Gallery.

One was stopped at Charles-de-Gaulle Airport with a one-way ticket to Algeria; his DNA matched a scooter used in the getaway.

READ MORE: 'Race against the clock': A peek behind the curtain in the BoM office

About 100 investigators involved

Neither names nor extensive biographical details about the suspects have been made public.

Information about investigations is meant to be secret under French law, to avoid compromising police work and to ensure victims’ right to privacy, a policy known as “secret d’instruction.″

Only the prosecutor can speak publicly about developments, and violators can be prosecuted.

Earlier this week, Beccuau praised an “exceptional mobilisation” – about 100 investigators seven days a week, with roughly 150 forensic samples analysed and 189 items sealed as evidence.

It took robbers less than eight minutes to steal the jewels.

The team of four used a freight lift, allowing two of them to force a window and cut into two display cases with disc cutters, before the four fled on two scooters toward eastern Paris.

Only the “near-simultaneous” arrival of police and museum security stopped the thieves from torching the lift and destroying crucial evidence, the prosecutor said.

Investigators said there is no sign of insider help for now, though they are not ruling out a wider network beyond the four on camera.

In a separate case, Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez said six people were arrested on Thursday soon after a robbery at a gold refining laboratory in the city of Lyon during which thieves used explosives.

The loot, which was estimated to be worth 12 million euros ($21.2 million) has been recovered, Nuñez said on X.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

‘Race against the clock’: A peek behind the curtain in the BoM office

When Jonathan How's alarm sounds at the crack of dawn, he'll check the weather like most Australians before heading into work.

Unlike most workers though, the sky – rain, hail or shine – will dictate every move he makes in the office.

How is working his "dream" job as a Senior Meteorologist at the Bureau of Meteorology in Melbourne.

READ MORE: Got one of the sunscreens recalled in Australia? Here's what you need to do

Senior meteorologist Jonathan How

For a decade, he has stood in front of TV cameras and relayed crucial information to Australians about weather events ranging from the 2019-20 Black Summer bushfires to deadly flash floods.

"I've wanted to be a meteorologist since I was in kindergarten, so it's something that I've always wanted to do," How told 9news.com.au.

"It was a lifelong dream of mine."

How begins his day at 6am and spends most of the morning doing TV interviews and talking to journalists about the day's weather.

Then he will work with his team of fellow weather experts to produce four daily forecasts for the states, cities and regions.

"The great thing about Australia is that there's always something going on in the weather, even when it's sunny," How said.

"Of course, when it is sunny, it does mean that things aren't quite as hectic. But sunny skies also can mean things like heatwaves or fire weather warnings."

READ MORE: Micki thought he'd lost $150,000. Then an email landed in his inbox

Australian Bureau of Meteorology Building

Australian weather is an extraordinary and untameable beast and it often even surprises the BoM.

A meteorologist's day can change very quickly and without warning.

For How, that's when his passion for weather is really ignited.

It was a busy week for How and his team after Melbourne recorded a rare tornado following severe thunderstorms across the city.

"Sometimes you get very little notice like what we had on Sunday in Melbourne," he said.

"The storm came through very quickly and we had to issue that warning pretty quick smart."

At times like this, How can't take his foot off the accelerator.

He and his team need to be "weather watching" every moment of the day.

"It's not set and forget. It's something that needs to be updated and continually monitored," he added.

READ MORE: Australia Post reveals deadline for mailing Christmas parcels

Jonathan How, Senior Meteorologist

How recalls Cyclone Alfred being one of the busiest times of his career.

The tropical cyclone brought wild weather to south-east Queensland and northern NSW between February and March this year.

The bureau's job was to keep everyone informed, including the media and State Emergency Services (SES).

"We had a forecast which changed every hour," How said.

"So we needed to make sure that [updates] get out in time before the new one comes in.

"It can be a bit of a race against the clock."

Severe weather can be dangerous and it's important residents are aware of the latest warnings.

But How is careful not to cause unnecessary concern.

"We're not here to cause panic or create drama," he said.

"We just focus on what's coming up in the facts and make sure people have the information they need and make sure that they can make the right decisions."

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Teen dies after electric dirt bike crash on the Gold Coast

A teenager has died after an e-bike crash on the Gold Coast this morning.

The 15-year-old boy from Worongary was riding an electric dirt bike along a road in Broadbeach about 3am when he lost control and fell off, police said.

He died at the scene.

READ MORE: Man's new Tesla struck by suspected meteorite on remote Aussie highway

Investigators are probing if he was going too fast.

Police are appealing for witnesses.

An eight year-old boy was killed in an e-bike crash earlier this week in the state.

There have been calls for a crackdown on e-bikes in the state.

Legal e-bikes can be ridden on paths unless otherwise signed, as long as riders obey bicycle rules such as wearing a helmet.

They must have a maximum continuous power output of 250 watts and be pedal-powered with motor assistance up to 25km/h.

There are no age limits for riding e-bikes in Queensland.

Bikes with motors over 250 watts are illegal, as are throttle-powered bikes without pedals, which are technically electric motorcycles and require registration, insurance and a licence and cannot be ridden on paths.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.