Tag Archives: oceania

Child, 7, ran to get help after Hunter Valley mum killed in alleged DV attack

Police say a child ran to ask for help after their mother was killed, as a potentially armed man remains on the run.

Officers say the child ran 400 metres to a neighbour after the alleged attack in the NSW Hunter Valley near Sydney last night.

Passers-by stopped and called police.

READ MORE: Man's new Tesla struck by suspected meteorite on remote Aussie highway

Police were called to a home in Kearsley, in Cessnock about 7.30 last night.

The alleged attack happened in Kearsley, in Cessnock about 7.30pm yesterday.

"It was a traumatic incident as you can imagine, quite horrific for the family members all involved, her two adult children, one young child, so quite horrific," Superintendent Steve Laksa said.

Police say a gun was fired at the property.

They are searching for the woman's partner, Christopher James McLoughney, 37, who they say may have a gun.

McLoughney and the woman had been in a relationship since June this year, Laksa said.

Police believe he may in be in Cessnock, the Lower Hunter or Newcastle.

"Police believe this person may have crucial information in relation to the offence that was committed there last night," Laksa said.

"We just ask the community to provide any information they have in relation to him.

Superintendent Steve Laksa urged anyone with information about McLoughney's whereabouts to contact Crimestoppers.

"I'm sure there would be someone out there who knows where he is, or may know where he is, we just call upon those people to give us call and provide their details or anonymously."

He is known to police and is white with short ginger hair, a thin build and is 175 -178cm tall.

The victim is the 58th woman alleged to have been killed in a domestic violence attack in Australia this year.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Multiple people arrested in USA over Halloween weekend attack plot

Multiple people who had been allegedly plotting a violent attack over the Halloween weekend were arrested on Friday in Michigan, USA FBI Director Kash Patel said in a social media post.

The law enforcement effort was focused on suburban Detroit.

Patel said more information would be released later.

READ MORE: Teen dies after electric dirt bike crash on the Gold Coast

An FBI agent enters a home in Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Investigators believe the plot was inspired by Islamic State extremism and are investigating whether those in custody were potentially radicalised online, according to two people briefed on the investigation who could not publicly discuss details. They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

FBI and state police vehicles were in a neighborhood near Fordson High School in Dearborn.

People wearing shirts marked FBI walked in and out of a house, including one person who collected paper bags and other items from an evidence truck.

Police in Inkster, another suburb, said FBI personnel were at a storage facility there.

“There is no current threat to public safety,” said Jordan Hall, an FBI spokesperson in Detroit, who declined further comment.

The investigation involved discussion in an online chatroom involving at least some of the suspects who were taken into custody, people familiar with the investigation told AP.

The group had discussed carrying out an attack around Halloween, referring to “pumpkin day,” according to one of the people.

The other person briefed on the investigation confirmed that there had been a “pumpkin” reference.

READ MORE: 'Morons': Flares thrown into crowd at first Oasis gig in Melbourne

An FBI agent enters a home in Dearborn, Michigan, USA

It wasn’t immediately clear if the group had the means to carry out an attack, but the reference to Halloween prompted the FBI to make arrests on Friday, one of the people said.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said on X that she was briefed by Patel.

She said she was grateful for “swift action” but offered no details.

Residents in the Dearborn neighbourhood watched as investigators worked at the house.

“It’s really scary because we have a lot of relatives around this neighborhood,” said Fatima Saleh, who was next door.

Separately, in May, the FBI said it arrested a man who had spent months planning an attack against a US Army site in suburban Detroit on behalf of the Islamic State group.

The man, Ammar Said, didn’t know that his supposed allies in the alleged plot were undercover FBI employees.

Said remains in custody, charged with attempting to provide support to a terrorist organisation.

The criminal complaint was replaced in September with a criminal “information” document, signaling that a plea agreement could be possible in the months ahead.

Power cut to hundreds as severe storm pummels Queensland

Hail, thunder and lightning has hit south eastern Queenslandcutting power to hundreds.

Authorities are warning residents in northern NSW, the Gold Coast, Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast to stay inside tonight, as the 'super cell' thunderstorms move across the area.

The storm struck Queensland's Southern and Darling Down region around lunchtime, bringing hailstones as large as nine centimetres.

READ MORE: Man's new Tesla struck by suspected meteorite on remote Aussie highway

The storm struck Queensland's Southern and Darling Down region around lunchtime, bringing hailstones as large as nine centimetres.

Five to eight centimetre hail fell across Toowoomba, Gatton, the Sunshine Coast, the Lockyer Valley and Brisbane as heavy rain continued to drench the region.

Lightning and dark clouds rolled in over Brisbane about 3pm, where the power was cut to almost 700 residents in Bowen Hills.

There are even warnings of tornadoes.

"When it comes to the wind, there is even an outside chance that we could see a tornado or two touch down with the most intense, most severe thunderstorm cells later on today," BoM meteorologist Angus Hines said.

Severe thunderstorm warnings remain in place, with the Bureau cautioning the possibility of heavy rainfall that could lead to flash flooding, possibly giant hailstones and destructive winds across northern NSW and much of Queensland.

The worst of the storm is expected to hit Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, the Brisbane metro area, the Sunshine Coast, Maleny and Noosa Heads.

Hailstorms have blasted multiple suburbs across Queensland.

The Burnett region, Kingaroy and Gympie, as well as Biloela and Toowoomba are also in the firing line, Bureau of Meteorology meteorologist Angus Hines said. 

"When it comes to the wind, there is even an outside chance that we could see a tornado or two touch down with the most intense, most severe thunderstorm cells later on today,"Hines said.

Residents in the NSW Northern Tablelands and across the North West Slopes and Plains, including Tamworth and Moree are also expected to be hit by the storms.

READ MORE: 'Taken in a minute': Tributes for woman killed in freak lightning strike

Coastal areas such as Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Grafton, Ballina, Lismore and Byron Bay are also in the firing line.

Residents have been advised to pack away or secure outdoor furniture, toys and trampolines, park cars away from trees, close doors and windows.

The Bureau urged locals across northern NSW and south eastern Queensland to remain inside a "strong building" until the storm passes and advised against driving.

The state has been hit with severe thunderstorm weather for almost a week.

However, authorities have urged locals to keep up to date with the Bureau of Meteorology weather warnings due to how quickly the weather can turn.

Rainy conditions and storms in some areas may continue tomorrow, but overall conditions are expected to improve.

Inland areas from Brisbane to Bundaberg may still see severe thunderstorms tomorrow.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Beers recalled over fears cans could ‘burst’

A popular Aussie beer has been recalled over fears cans could burst.

A recall has been issued for 375ml cans of Little Creatures Little Hazy Larger by makers Lion- Beer, Spirits & Wine Pty Ltd.

The product has been sold at Dan Murphy's and BWS in NSW, Queensland, Victoria and Western Australia as well as IGA in NSW.

A popular Aussie beer has been recalled over fears cans could burst.A recall has been issued for 375ml cans of Little Creatures Little Hazy Larger by makers Lion- Beer, Spirits & Wine Pty Ltd .

Coles has also sold it in Western Australia.

But cans with a best before date of 10/11/2025 shouldn't be opened.

"Products affected may contain excess alcohol and carbonation, which can lead to over-pressurisation of the can," NSW Food Authority said.

"This may cause the can to burst, potentially resulting in injury."

Cans shouldn't be opened but should be thrown away.

For a refund contact the company.

WA brothers front court over alleged ‘threat to Australia’s national security’

Two Perth brothers have fronted court accused of possessing more than five tonnes of illicit tobacco products.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) uncovered vapes, tobacco and cigarettes they say are linked to a national organised crime syndicate.

An unassuming Wangara warehouse was found stacked with boxes allegedly hiding illegal tobacco.

READ MORE: Woman charged with murder over death of baby in Perth's south

AFP sniffer dog

They are products linked to escalating violence across the country, the AFP says.

"Firebombings and extortion offences have put innocent citizens and their livelihoods at risk," Detective Acting Superintendent Matt Taylor said.

"This is also a threat to Australia's national security."

The AFP executed multiple search warrants in August, including searching five storage units and a Dianella home, and uncovered five tonnes of allegedly illegal tobacco.

Tobacco seized by AFP

More than 4 million cigarettes were seized, as well as close to 900 kilograms of loose leaf tobacco and nearly 50,500 vapes.

Police say if sold illegally, it would see $8 million in Commonwealth excises and taxes avoided, instead going into the pockets of an alleged national organised crime syndicate.

"Organised crime controls and reaps multimillion-dollar profits from this black market trade which has led to violent crimes here in WA and across Australia," Taylor said.

Hossain and Mousa Al Monsouri

Two Perth brothers have been arrested over seizure, Hossain and Mousa Al Monsouri, both in their early 30s.

The maximum penalty for possessing more than 1000 times the commercial quantity of vapes is seven years behind bars and a fine of $1.65 million

The brothers are due back in court next month.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.