Tag Archives: oceania

Dayna is losing use of her arm. She wants $20k to fix it with a rare surgery

Exclusive: A Melbourne artist says she risks losing the use of her arm completely if she doesn't scrape together enough money to pay for a rare surgery.

Dayna Lynch, 26, suffers from Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), a group of widely misunderstood connective tissue disorders, that has progressively worsened over the past few years.

Lynch told 9news.com.au her arm began showing signs of weakening when she could no longer comfortably hold a pen or click her computer mouse at work.

READ MORE: An unexpected email ruined Perth couple's $3000 trip to Hawaii

Dayna Lynch - Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

"It started happening about two months ago. The pain before that had started getting really bad where I needed to take more breaks," Lynch said.

"But then I was just in the middle of working and I just realised that I actually couldn't use my hand on the mouse.

"My arm is my whole career, essentially. My hands, the graphic work that I do, the websites that I make…"

Lynch has since started a crowdfunding page online to reach her $20,000 goal.

According to the National Library of Medicine, EDS is an umbrella term for a group of hereditary connective tissue disorders and it can result in sharp stabbing, tingling, burning, bone-crushing, shooting or aching pains.

Globally, EDS is thought to occur in around 120 per 100,000 people – meaning there may be around 31,000 people in Australia living with a type of EDS, the majority of which are female.

Lynch has now stepped back from her work at a construction firm and is slowly losing the ability to take care of herself.

She said it is getting to the point where she can't brush her own teeth or get dressed.

"I just can't keep living like this because it's just… it's too painful," she said.

READ MORE: Micki thought he'd lost $150,000. Then an email landed in his inbox

Dayna Lynch - Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

Do you have a story? Contact reporter April Glover at Google Play.

New accusations come to light as Virginia Giuffre’s memoir is released

The British royal family is once again under intense scrutiny as a memoir by Virginia Giuffre, one of the most outspoken accusers of Prince Andrew and Jeffery Epstein, hits bookstores.

Nobody's Girl is being published posthumously six months after Giuffre died by suicide in April and was released on Tuesday.

Giuffre had for years accused Andrew of sexually abusing her on multiple occasions when she was under 18 years old and a victim of sexual trafficking by convicted sex offender Epstein and his former girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell.

READ MORE: Shock sight as whole wing of the White House left in pieces

Virginia Giuffre's memoir "Nobody's Girl"

While her book didn't break new ground, it has thrown fuel on a series of new accusations against Andrew, who is trying to control the damage to the monarchy from the long-running scandal over his friendship with Epstein.

The 65-year-old prince said last week that he will stop using his titles, including Duke of York, but reiterated that he "vigorously" denies Giuffre's claims.

In her book – which leapt to No. 1 on Amazon's bestseller list on Monday before its publication – Giuffre recounts details of how she first met Andrew in March 2001, and says the royal's staff tried to hire "internet trolls" to hassle her when she sued him years later.

Accounts of three interactions with Andrew

Giuffre long alleged that she was recruited at age 16 by Epstein and Maxwell, who introduced her to Andrew in London in March 2001 when she was 17. She said she was forced to have sex with the royal on three separate occasions.

She wrote that on the day she first met Andrew, Maxwell woke her up and told her it was going to be a special day and that "just like Cinderella" she will meet "a handsome prince."

READ MORE: Met Police probes claim Prince Andrew sought info on accuser Virginia Giuffre

Prince Andrew

She said when they met, the prince told her that "my daughters are just a little younger than you." She said Maxwell instructed her to "do for him what you do for Jeffrey," adding: "I knew better than to question her orders." She said that Epstein gave her $US15,000 ($23,000) soon after for having sex with Andrew.

Giuffre wrote that she had sex with the royal a second time at Epstein's house in New York about a month later, and a third time on Epstein's private island in the Caribbean along with about eight other girls who she said all appeared to be under 18.

2022 lawsuit settlement

Giuffre previously detailed how Epstein, Maxwell and Andrew allegedly forced her to have sex with the prince against her will in a lawsuit that she filed New York in 2021.

Andrew reached an out-of-court settlement with Giuffre in 2022 for an undisclosed sum. While he didn't admit wrongdoing, Andrew did acknowledge Giuffre's suffering as a victim of sex trafficking and agreed to make a donation to her charity.

Of that settlement, Giuffre wrote: "After casting doubt on my credibility for so long – Prince Andrew's team had even gone so far as to try to hire internet trolls to hassle me – the Duke of York owed me a meaningful apology as well."

Virginia Giuffre's memoir "Nobody's Girl"

"We would never get a confession, of course. That's what settlements are designed to avoid," she added.

"But we were trying for the next best thing: a general acknowledgment of what I'd been through."

New allegations

Andrew, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II, had already stepped down from all of his public duties and charity roles in 2019, after an attempt to dispel reports about his friendship with Epstein backfired badly.

The prince was widely criticised for the BBC interview, in which he offered unbelievable explanations for his continued relationship with the disgraced financier. He also denied that he had ever had sexual contact with Giuffre, that he had "no recollection" of meeting her and "absolutely no memory" of a now infamous photograph showing him with his arm around her waist in 2001.

Andrew also said in the same interview that he had cut off contact with Epstein in December 2010.

Virginia Giuffre

Last week, British newspapers published an email that purportedly showed that the royal had remained in contact with Epstein longer than he had admitted. In the note, reportedly from February 28, 2011, Andrew said they were "in this together" and would "have to rise above it."

Separately, London's Metropolitan Police force said that it was looking into a report in the Mail on Sunday that Andrew in 2011 asked one of his police bodyguards to find out if Giuffre had a criminal record.

Buckingham Palace and the UK government are under pressure to formally strip Andrew of his dukedom and princely title, and kick him out the 30-room mansion near Windsor Castle where he lives.

Virginia Giuffre's memoir "Nobody's Girl"

Ghostwriter Amy Wallace, who co-wrote the memoir, said that Andrew also should agree to testify in the US about what he knew of Epstein's crimes.

Wallace told the BBC that Giuffre "deserves all credit for whatever role she played in forcing Prince Andrew to relinquish a few more of his titles. But she deserves all credit even more than that for being brave enough to stand up to say, 'This isn't right.'"

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Plane makes emergency landing after pilot hears ‘knocking on the cockpit door’

An American Airlines flight, operated by SkyWest Airlines, made an emergency landing on Monday night in Nebraska, after the pilots could not reach the flight attendants and heard someone outside the cockpit door, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Flight 6469 took off from Omaha's Eppley Airfield at 6.41pm local time (10.41 am Tuesday AEDT) headed to Los Angeles but almost immediately turned around, landing just 18 minutes later, according to the tracking site FlightAware.

Henry Gruver was seated in the front row of the main cabin, travelling to Japan with his wife and seven-year-old daughter.

Emergency Landing

"All of a sudden, we started banking around the city of Omaha. And, you know, you're tilting the wings and everything," Gruver told CNN.

"My wife noticed that the stewardess was kind of banging on the cockpit door, like, OK, what's going on?"

"I'm starting to pray, and I'm thinking, you know, first thing comes to mind: is the pilots going crazy and kind of take the plane down?" he said.

Passengers were not told anything about what was happening until police boarded the plane after landing.

"Everybody was really calm. I guess nobody knew what was happening, so it was probably a good thing," Gruver said.

The Embraer ERJ 175 regional jet parked away from the terminal with two firetrucks surrounding it, a photo showed.

"After landing, it was determined there was a problem with the inter-phone system and the flight crew was knocking on the cockpit door," the FAA said in a statement.

SkyWest confirmed a problem with "a flight crew mic" on Tuesday, adding "we apologise for the inconvenience."

The flight finally took back off for Los Angeles nearly five hours late, according to FlightAware. The Gruver family missed their connection to Japan and waited overnight in the airport for the next flight.

Skywest and American Airlines have not contacted them since the incident, they said.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Aussies sitting on thousands of dollars in modern-day gold rush

As gold prices continue to surge to record highs, Australians are starting to cash in, selling old jewellery to make quick money.

However, with such expensive valuables, experts warn it's important to know who you're trading with.

Loralie Bodle brought a box of unwanted valuables to her local jeweller, hoping to be sitting on a gold mine.

READ MORE: 'I don't like you': Trump blasts Rudd during Albo meeting

A box full of gold jewellery in a box on a white desk.

"I was thinking maybe it's time to go in and find out what it's worth," she said.

The 143 grams of gold Loralie brought in were valued at $10,000 on the spot. 

"I really didn't think that it was going to be that much," she said.

The value of gold has doubled since 2023, causing a gold rush as customers bring their old rings, bracelets and watches into jewellers to find out if they're worth anything.

"It can be broken, knotted, tangled. It can be in any kind of condition,"  Imperial Jewellery valuer Judi Hening said.

"We have even had people's teeth."

Specialist gold buyers have outlets nationwide, mostly with no appointments needed, with cash or bank transfers done in minutes.

READ MORE: Millions set to swelter as spring scorcher looms

Rows of gold bars.

"It's had an extraordinary rise in 2025, really building on strength that we saw coming out of the pandemic," ABC Bullion general manager Jordan Eliseo said.

Customers are always advised to compare offers before settling on a deal. 

"Making sure you're dealing with a reputable, trustworthy company that has hopefully been in business for many years," Eliseo said.

Professional companies rely on tools such as X-ray machines or acid testing to determine the carats of the gold. 

"Everything goes under the microscope to make sure it is what it looks like," Henning said.

Jewellers also advise people to ensure they're checking with family members before selling items that could potentially hold sentimental value. 

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Armed teens terrorise Asian grocer in suspected revenge rampage

A Melbourne business owner says he feared for his life when a group of armed teens destroyed his store hours after one of them was ejected for assaulting a cashier.

The young trio stormed an Fortune Asian Supermarket at Northland shopping centre in Preston just after 7pm yesterday, armed with a cricket bat and a crowbar.

Inside they smashed stock, shelving and registers and also allegedly assaulted two staff members, kicking one of them in the back.

READ MORE: World's biggest apps and websites hit by global outage

The armed thugs stormed an Fortune Asian Supermarket at Northland shopping centre in Preston just after 7pm yesterday, armed with a cricket bat and a crowbar.

It's understood the violent incident was an act of revenge after a teenage girl was thrown out for assaulting a cashier earlier in the day.

She returned with backup.

Store owner Homer, who is a new dad, claims he was also threatened with a machete.

"That's the worst part. Everyone could have been killed," he said.

"My family is everything to me. It's just too much."

Store owner Homer, who is a new dad, claims he was also threatened with a machete.

Homer says sales at the shopping centre grocer have been continually declining as customers grow increasingly scared of violent acts that plague Northland. 

He's calling on the community to support small businesses like his, in its time of need.

"Very upset. I need to keep going for my family."

The attackers remain on the run.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Southern states warned to brace for storms, ‘rare’ destructive winds

Multiple Aussie states are set to be hammered by fierce winds, rain and thunderstorms as a low pressure system batters the country's south-east.

Damaging winds are expected to cut power and bring down trees across parts of South Australia, Victoria and NSW tomorrow.

Coupled with a cold front, the weather system has already lashed SA with strong winds today as it tracks southeasterly towards western Victoria.

READ MORE: Millions set to swelter as spring scorcher looms

A low pressure system is expected to batter southern states with storms and strong winds.

"Tomorrow is going to be amongst the windiest days, if not the windiest day of the springtime," meteorologist Angus Hines said.

Strong winds are expected to intensify overnight and move into eastern parts of Victoria and NSW tomorrow.

Severe weather warnings are in place across SA, Victoria and NSW, with wind gusts reaching 90 to 110 km/h expected in some areas overnight.

Residents in the south-east of South Australia, most of Victoria and parts of south-east and eastern NSW, including the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra, are warned to brace for the brunt of the fierce conditions.

READ MORE: Which apps and websites were affected by the Amazon Web Services outage?

Strong winds and storms forecast for Victoria tomorrow could topple entire trees.

"It will be Wednesday morning where the winds are strongest in south-west Victoria," Hines said.

"That is where we will see the potential for those gusts over 120 km/h, which is rare to see winds of that speed."

Coastal areas between Cape Otway in Victoria and Robe in South Australia are expected to receive destructive wind gusts up to 120 km/h to 130 km/h tomorrow morning.

Emergency services are warning residents to brace for damage to property, cars and power lines as destructive winds threaten to topple trees and branches.

Severe storms and heavy rain are also forecast for northern parts of Tasmania with rainfall totals up to 50 mm in parts of the state.

Conditions across the south-east part of the country are expected to stablise tomorrow evening as the system moves offshore.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

‘A whole-state problem’: Police issue jet-skiing warning

Police in NSW have issued a warning about jet-ski safety after a string of incidents over the last two days.

Public concerns have grown after two people were injured in a jet ski crash in Sydney's south last night.

At around 5pm yesterday, Marine Police arrived at waters off Brighton Le Sands after reports that two jet skis had collided.

READ MORE: Millions set to swelter as spring scorcher looms

NSW Maritime Acting Executive Director, Darren Wood and Acting Superintendent Siobhan Munro, Marine Area Command walking along the water of Balmain

Upon arrival, police were told that four people were in the water after being ejected from the vessels.

A 23-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman who were on the same jet ski were treated on the scene by paramedics.

The pair were taken to St George Hospital for treatment.

The woman sustained serious leg injuries and has undergone surgery. The man has since been discharged from hospital.

The 18-year-old woman and 22-year-old man, who were allegedly riding the second jet-ski, were uninjured.

The 18-year-old was arrested for a short period of time after attempting to leave the scene on foot. She was later released pending further inquiries.

READ MORE: 'I don't like you': Trump blasts Rudd during Albo meeting

A person riding a yellow jet ski in the water.

Police have seized both jet-skis as they commence investigations surrounding the circumstances of the crash. 

Brighton Le Sands is a frequently visited spot for jet ski riders and locals are concerned that, as summer approaches, it may become a safety hazard for swimmers.

"I wouldn't put my kids in the water while jet-skis are around, no way," one resident said.

"I would not go there, it is a lot of them and they come very close, they're scary," another added. 

"Jet-ski safety for Brighton le Sands, Georges River and Revesby is highly focused for us at the moment," said NSW Maritime Acting Executive Director, Darren Wood.

"Jet-skis are a powerful craft and it is important that people obey the rules and regulations when operating these vessels," said Superintendent Siobhan Munro from the Marine Area Command.

"We will not tolerate dangerous navigation that's putting lives and members of the public at risk.

"We know that it is only a small percentage of jet-ski users doing the wrong thing."

"They're putting lives at risk."

The incident comes a day after a 17-year-old boy was spotted by police in the same waters dangerously driving a jet-ski near swimmers.

The boy also allegedly failed to stop for police. 

His jet-ski was seized and police say charges for menacingly operating the vehicle will be laid.

"It's a whole-state problem, it's not just Brighton le Sands," Munro said.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.