Tag Archives: oceania

AFL champion Scott Pendlebury launches legal fight over ‘missing $2.1m’

AFL star Scott Pendlebury has launched legal action against his former manager, claiming he misappropriated more than $2.1 million of his funds.

The Collingwood midfielder lodged the claim for loss and damages against Jason Sourasis in the Victorian Supreme Court on Friday but the statement of claim was released to media this week.

Court documents state Sourasis had access to Pendlebury's bank accounts, as he had been providing him financial advice and services since 2013.

READ MORE: 'I don't like you': Trump blasts Rudd during Albo meeting

Scott Pendlebury of the Magpies.

It's alleged between January 2015 and December 2023, Sourasis improperly transferred $2,148,900 from Pendlebury's investment account to accounts associated with Sourasis.

There were more than 50 transactions allegedly made in that time frame, ranging from $5000 to $305,000.

Pendlebury only became aware the funds were missing in February and he claims the transactions were not made in his interest or in good faith, the documents state.

He also alleges Sourasis has not repaid any of the money.

Pendlebury also claims he lent $300,000 to Sourasis on March 15, 2023, with the understanding it would be repaid the next day.

The agreement changed on March 22 of that year, with Pendlebury accepting it would instead be repaid in six to 12 months with interest, the documents state.

READ MORE: Millions set to swelter as spring scorcher looms

AFL star Scott Pendlebury has launched legal action against his former manager, Jason Sourasis (pictured).

Pendlebury alleges Sourasis has since refused to pay back the loan or any interest that has been accrued.

The footballer claims he has suffered loss and damages as a result of Sourasis' actions.

Pendlebury is seeking the return of $2,148,900 with interest, as well as an order for restitution of any traceable proceeds of the allegedly misappropriated funds.

He has also made a claim for the $300,000 loan with interest at the rate of 50 per cent a year, calculated from March 22, 2023.

Sourasis has been approached for comment, as have Pendlebury's manager and legal representatives.

Pendlebury has played 425 games for the Collingwood Football Club, including two premierships in 2010 and 2023.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Police search rural property near Toowoomba for man’s allegedly dismembered body

A man has been charged with murder as police search for the body of a man who was last seen near Toowoomba in Queensland more than two weeks ago.

Detectives charged 45-year-old Crows Nest man Shaun Smoothy with the murder of 48-year-old Paul Woods yesterday.

Woods' disappearance was first reported to police on Tuesday, October 14.

READ MORE: Millions set to swelter as spring scorcher looms

However, Detective Inspector Ryan Harmer said he may have come into trouble a week earlier.

"We've been unable to establish any proof of life from Paul on the fifth," Harmer said.

"We've spoken to witnesses who have led us to believe that this is obviously a homicide investigation."

Police have since established crime scenes at Woods' home in Hampton, as well as Smoothy's property in Cressbrook Creek.

The dog squad, police divers and the SES were called in to assist with the search of the large rural property today where police allege Woods was killed and his body dismembered.

"At the end of the day, the forensic examination is in its early stages, so we still have a number of days yet to be able to search that property thoroughly," Harmer said.

Smoothy is understood to be a house re-stumper and avid hunter.

Police say they believe the two men knew each other.

"We believe that they know each other, we are still trying to investigate the relationship," Harmer said.

Police say Woods was last seen more than two weeks ago, riding an unregistered blue and white Yamaha 450 motorbike on Saturday afternoon, October 5, between the Hampton and Cressbrook Creek area.

READ MORE: Which apps and websites were affected by the Amazon Web Services outage?

The motorbike remains missing.

Anyone with information or CCTV or dashcam of the motorbike in the Hampton, Crows Nest and Cressbrook Creek areas between October 5 and 6 is urged to contact police.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

How an error at a data centre took down half the internet

A glitch at an Amazon Web Services (AWS) data centre in the US left millions around the world unable to access half the internet, but how exactly did it cause the widespread disruption?

AWS recorded "increased error rates" yesterday evening that continued for more than 15 hours, affecting some of the most popular social media platforms, websites and online services.

It has been described as the largest disruption since the CrowdStrike outage of 2024.

As services return to normal, here is everything we know about what caused yesterday's mammoth shutdown.

READ MORE: 'I can't pay': ANZ outage leaves customers unable to access services

A glitch at an Amazon Web Services (AWS) data centre in the US left millions around the world unable to access half the internet, but how exactly did it cause the widespread disruption?

What is Amazon Web Services?

Let's start at basics.

AWS is a subsidiary of billionaire Jeff Bezos' Amazon and the world's most broadly adopted cloud service — a way of storing files and applications over the internet rather than on physical devices.

It provides power, storage and databases to companies, universities and governments.

"We offer the greatest choice of innovative cloud capabilities and expertise, on the most extensive global infrastructure with industry-leading security, reliability, and performance," AWS says on its website. 

AWS controls more than 41 per cent of the global market, with Microsoft and Google as the next biggest competitiors.

With some of the world's largest companies relying on the service, it's no surprise that a glitch would cripple half the internet. 

READ MORE: China hits out at Australia over 'illegal' air force incident

A glitch at an Amazon Web Services (AWS) data centre in the US left millions around the world unable to access half the internet, but how exactly did it cause the widespread disruption?

What is the current status of the AWS outage? 

Amazon said it first began seeing errors to AWS services about 5.50pm AEDT yesterday.

Three hours later, the underlying issue was located and crews saw "significant signs of recovery".

Amazon later said it was still experiencing "significant API errors and connectivity issues across multiple services" and began investigating the "root cause".

About 9am today, all AWS services returned to normal and the operation issue has been marked as resolved.

What caused the AWS outage?

AWS' DynamoDB is a database that hosts information for companies, including customer data.

This was failing to work because of an error to the domain name system (DNS) at its data centre in northern Virginia — one of the most important cloud hubs in the world.

DNS is the service that translates internet addresses into machine-readable IP addresses that connects browsers and apps with websites and online services.

Essentially, it acts as a phonebook, connecting devices to servers.

Any errors can disrupt the translation process and, therefore, interrupt the connection.

READ MORE: PM urged to 'back him or sack him' after Rudd's icy Trump exchange

What websites and apps were down because of the outage?

DownDetector, a website that tracks online outages, recorded more than 11 million reports to hundreds of services.

Social media and chat platforms Snapchat, Reddit, Signal and Whatsapp were affected.

Users reported outages to Disney+, 9Now, Hinge, Tinder, Coinbase, Robinhood, Life360, Tidal, EA Games, Roblox, Fortnite, Venmo, Xero Canva, Slack, Zoom, and Duolingo.

Starbucks, DoorDash and Lyft confirmed briefly seeing issues.

Amazon's own website, PrimeVideo and Alexa also faced problems.

In the United Kingdom, Lloyds Bank, the Bank of Scotland, Vodafone and BT were impacted.

Yesterday's outage is a prime example of the warnings experts have been raising for years about the potentially dire consequences of allowing a handful of companies to dominate major internet operations. 

READ MORE: Why the Australia-US rare earths deal matters so much for Trump

Manila, Philippines

Has this happened in the past?

The last time there was a disruption of this magnitude was in 2024.

A faulty software update by cybersecurity company CrowdStrike impacted devices running Microsoft's Windows, which caused issues to airports, hospitals, banks and other services across the world.

This is also not the first time there has been an outage related to Amazon’s key services.

Many popular internet services and publishers were down after a brief outage in 2023.

AWS’s longest outage in recent history affected companies, from airline reservations and auto dealerships to payment apps and video streaming services, for more than five hours in late 2021.

Other major outages happened in 2017 and 2020.

With Associated Press 

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Aussie birthing influencer banned from promoting views online

An Australian birthing influencer has been banned from promoting her views and providing advice online following an order by Victoria's health complaints watchdog.

Emily Lal, known as "The Authentic Birthkeeper" online, is accused of breaching the health code of conduct in an Interim Prohibition Order issued by the Health Complaints Commissioner.

Lal is alleged to have "facilitated and/or participated in home births which may put both mothers and babies at risk", Health Complaints Commissioner Professor Bernice Redley said in a public warning.

READ MORE: 'I don't like you': Trump blasts Rudd during Albo meeting

Cute Little Caucasian Newborn Baby Lying in Bassinet in a Maternity Hospital. Portrait of a Tiny Playful and Energetic Child with a Name ID Tag on the Leg. Healthcare, Pregnancy and Motherhood Concept

"Members of the public are encouraged not to engage with Ms Lal in relation to the provision of general health services," the warning reads.

An investigation into Lal began on October 8.

The Interim Prohibition Order was issued today and will remain in force until January 12, 2026 while an investigation is conducted unless it is revoked before that date.

"I take any alleged breach of the Code of Conduct for General Health Services extremely seriously. Where I believe there is a serious risk to the public, I do not hesitate to take action," Bernice Redley said.

"This warning and interim prohibition order have been issued to protect the health and safety of the Victorian community.

"I want to remind all Victorians that anyone providing health services must do so safely, ethically and within the limits of their training and qualifications."

Lal's social media profiles including Facebook and Instagram appear to have been taken down.

She has been described online as a supporter of "women to birth in full sovereignty and autonomy".

"She is passionate about bringing women back to themselves and bringing birth back to its roots – in the home – rejecting the current medical birth paradigm and its mistrust in women's bodies," a 2023 podcast episode featuring Lal reads.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.