Tag Archives: oceania

Two more Melbourne school children targeted in ‘white van’ kidnapping attempts

Police are appealing for the help of the public after two more school children were approached by men driving white vans in Melbourne's east in recent days.

A primary school aged boy was walking to school on Landscape Drive in Boronia about 8:30am yesterday when a man driving a white van pulled over and tried to coax the boy inside.

The van pulled over near Boronia Heights Primary School, but the boy walked away and school staff reported the matter to police.

READ MORE: Man allegedly forces his way onto plane at Sydney Airport, knocks security unconscious

Melbourne White vans

It came after less than 24 hours after a 15-year-old girl was approached by a man driving a white van on Saxon Street in Doncaster.

The girl was approached by the man about 9.40am on December 2, who asked her to get in the van, but she ran away to a nearby shopping centre. 

The attempted abductions add to multiple other child-snatching attempts across Melbourne in recent weeks.

Less than one week ago a 14-year-old girl was walking along Spring Street in Tullamarine when a man in a white van approached her about 5.45pm.

Leading Senior Constable Grace Botterill said the man, in a "determined" tone, asked the girl where she lived and urged her to get into his car.

READ MORE: It's almost time for Spotify Wrapped, when can you expect your 2024 recap?

A primary school boy in Boronia is the fourth Melbourne child to be approached by men in white vans in the last month.

She refused and quickly walked to a nearby park where a group of people were standing.

That man is believed to be Middle Eastern in appearance, about 50-years-old, with a thick accent, grey hair, and driving a white van.

On November 18 an 11-year-old boy was approached by a man in a white van while he was walking home from school on Halley Street in Blackburn. 

Police said the boy was walking home from school along Halley Street in Blackburn about 3.45pm on November 18 when the van pulled onto the wrong side of the road and told the boy his mum had asked him to give him a lift home.

The boy refused and the van drove away.

At this stage it's not believed any of the incidents are linked.

Police are urging anyone in the area at the time of any of the incidents with dashcam or CCTV to contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.

Obsessed suitor jailed for ‘brutal and frenzied’ murder of Adelaide mum

An obsessive man who killed a mother of five in a ferocious and premeditated attack has been sentenced to decades behind bars.

Clifford Arthur Neumann, 41, of Morphett Vale, stared at the floor as he was handed a minimum prison term of almost 23 years in the SA Supreme Court today for the murder of Victoria Stewart, 39.

Stewart was one of four women found dead in unrelated incidents across South Australia in a single week in November 2023, prompting the state government to order a royal commission into family, domestic and sexual domestic violence.

READ MORE: Troubled Aussie company tops list of least trusted brands

Victoria Stewart's killer will spend decades behind bars for her "brutal and frenzied" murder.

Neumann and Stewart had met about 15 years ago when they were members of the same Jehovah's Witness congregation, and reconnected via Facebook in August 2023, Justice Laura Stein said.

He later told forensic psychologist Loraine Lim that he had hoped Stewart would leave her partner to be with him.

"However … you became increasingly suspicious that Ms Stewart was hiding things from you and was still in a relationship with (her partner)," Justice Stein said.

Dr Lim found there was likely to be a "direct nexus" between his "mild to medium level" autism, and developing an obsessive plan to kill Stewart, Justice Stein said.

"Dr Lim considered your restricted capacity for perspective-taking and empathy, as well as poor inherent understanding of human emotions and behaviours and an inability to appreciate social cues, most probably caused you to grossly misinterpret the changes in Ms Stewart's behaviour," she said.

When Stewart visited his home on November 19, he enacted a "clearly premeditated" plan to kill her with a steel bar.

"For the sake of Ms Stewart's family members … I will not describe what you told police you did to Ms Stewart, or the details of the pathology report or the scene that police later observed in the lounge room," Justice Stein said.

"The evidence establishes that you attacked Ms Stewart with ferocity … (it) was brutal and frenzied, and blows were delivered with terrible force."

"You carried out the attack on a defenceless woman who could do nothing to fend you off."

READ MORE: There is apparently $1.1 billion in treasure buried under tonnes of rubbish

Man charged with murder after woman allegedly found dead in Morphett Vale.

After being "wracked with guilt and grief" for Stewart and her children, Neumann contacted police and told them he had done "a horrible thing" and was sorry.

Neumann's autism diagnosis was relevant but did not significantly reduce his moral culpability or moderate the need for denunciation or deterrence, Justice Stein said.

"You knew you were planning to do a bad and horrible thing, you knew the consequences," she said.

The judge accepted Lim's assessment that Neumann had prospects for rehabilitation, including his insight into the unforgivable impact of his conduct, his guilty plea, his generally non-confrontational personality, lack of any traits of antisocial personality disorder, and intelligence.

The judge acknowledged the "extremely moving" victim impact statements from Ms Stewart's mother, brother, sister, daughters, partner and former husband.

"They spoke of their deep grief, anguish and bewilderment at your actions," she said.

"Your actions have inflicted an unimaginable, profound suffering which I cannot adequately capture in a few short sentences."

Justice Stein said the murder of a person in a relationship context was "abhorrent and deserving of the greatest level of denunciation".

With a 15 per cent sentence discount for his early guilty plea, Neumann's 27-year non-parole period was reduced to 22 years, 11 months and 13 days.

Outside court, Stewart's brother, Douglas Jones, said the family was "pretty happy" with the sentence.

"I appreciate the judge took everything into consideration, it felt like a little bit of justice in a pretty poor situation.

He said his sister was "the best of us".

"She was caring, loved her kids. I am very proud of who she was. I just miss her," he said.

Stewart's daughter, Tara Songer, said the jail term was "never going to be enough".

"No matter how high or low, the pain and suffering that me, my siblings, my family, my mother's friends … have all encountered, it was never going to be enough to justify that pain," she said.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

Readers seeking support can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or beyond blue on 1300 22 4636.

Principal, contractor accused of stealing $1.4 million meant for works at Sydney schools

A school principal and the director of a building company have been charged for allegedly stealing almost $1.4 million intended for schools in Sydney.

Police began a major investigation, with assistance from the NSW Department of Education, into the alleged mismanagement of funds meant for maintenance and building at schools in Guildford and Revesby in April.

Sir Joseph Banks High School Principal Rabieh Gharibeh and contractor Ahmed Charchouh were arrested this morning on accusations they worked to facilitate fraudulent claims.

READ MORE: Huge policy shift as Australia demands Israel leave occupied territories

A western Sydney principal is accused of ripping off the Education Department of $1.4 million through fake invoices sent to schools in Revesby and Guildford.

Both men are alleged to be known to each other. 

Detective Superintendent Gordon Arbinja alleged the men fraudulently claimed almost $1.4 million from the Department of Education through 86 separate invoices between August 2022 and November 2024.

"The senior employee had financial delegation up to $150,000 so police will allege that he abused that financial delegation and that position of financial trust," he said.

"The activity that police are alleging is between August 2022 and November this year and the senior employee was employed at both of those schools during that time."

Arbinja said the $1.4 million allegedly stolen was distributed between the pair, with $900,000 going to Gharibeh and $500,000 to Charchouh.

"The invoices were either split, so they could get under a certain financial delegation for under $150,000," he said.

"They would raise purchase orders before works were even done, and backdated invoices were sometimes paid prior to the works.

READ MORE: Youth worker who preyed on pre-teen victims for decades in rural NSW jailed

Two men, a staff member and a contractor, have been arrested for allegedly stealing almost $1.4 million intended for schools in Sydney. Detective Superintendent Gordon Arbinja.

"Some invoices were submitted and no works were ever done. If works were ever done, they were at a highly inflated price."

The NSW Department of Education said it takes these matters very seriously. 

"The Department of Education upholds high professional and ethical standards and takes any allegation of criminal activity extremely seriously," a spokesperson said.

"It would be inappropriate to comment on a matter before the courts."

Early this morning, officers stormed properties in Georges Hall and Yagoona and the school in Revesby.

They seized $42,400 in cash, a ballistics vest and luxury watches.

Gharibeh and Charchouh were both arrested and taken to Bankstown Police Station, where they were each charged with 60 offences.

As a result of their arrests, Arbinja said police were able to stop $165,000 worth of alleged fraud from going through.

Detectives are now working to recover as much of the allegedly defrauded $1.4 million as possible.

Investigations are continuing and more arrests are expected to be made. 

The two men faced Bankstown Local Court today.

READ MORE: Warning issued to Australians in South Korea

Two men, a staff member and a contractor, have been arrested for allegedly stealing almost $1.4 million intended for schools in Sydney.

The magistrate denied Charchouh's application for bail saying there was an unacceptable risk for contamination of evidence, describing the alleged fraud as a "chronic, sustained criminal enterprise".

Gharibeh did not apply for bail.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Man describes homophobic encounter that led to ‘unimaginable’ machete assault

A Melbourne man has described the terrifying moment he was slashed with a machete and hit with homophobic slurs while on a walk with his partner.

Frank Bonnici was on a stroll over the Darebin Creek footbridge in Preston with partner Mykey O'Halloran on Saturday night when four young people approached them and started to yell slurs.

"The kept yelling homophobic stuff to us, so then I yelled back 'Yeah we're gay, what are you going to do about it? What's it to you'," Bonnici said.

READ MORE: The amount of super Aussies need to be able to retire

One of the offenders swung at the 47-year-old with a machete, whole another took his phone.

The yoga teacher and support worker was rushed to the Austin Hospital where he had plastic surgery on the laceration to his arm.

"He could've just sliced my chest, sliced my head and I would be dead on the ground," Bonnici said. 

"Now I have to give up all my work and I'm losing so much income.

"I'm trying to buy a studio to set myself up and we're trying to buy a house as well."

Despite preparing to undertake six weeks of rehab, Bonnici's surgeon is unsure he'll ever regain full use of his arm.

READ MORE: Australia issues South Korea travel warning after martial law decree

"My life is completely f—-d now. And they get to get away with it with a minimal sentence if they get caught because they're not 18 years old," Bonnici said.

O'Halloran said he doesn't feel safe returning to the area. 

"My gut just dropped… It is unimaginable what happened," he said.

"It's trauma that I've experienced before, homophobia, but never to this level like with this sort of physical violence."

All four young people ran away with the man's mobile phone.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 33 000.

DOWNLOAD THE 9NEWS APP: Stay across all the latest in breaking news, sport, politics and the weather via our news app and get notifications sent straight to your smartphone. Available on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Perth grandmother found guilty of smuggling drugs into Japan

Perth grandmother Donna Nelson has been found guilty of drug smuggling in Japan.

The 58-year-old from Perth has today been sentenced to six years in prison after she was caught smuggling two kilograms of methamphetamine hidden inside a suitcase in 2022.

Nelson has always maintained her innocence, saying she was the victim of an online romance scam.

READ MORE: Teen acquitted of Emma Lovell's Boxing Day murder

Donna Nelson testifies in Japanese courtroom

She said she received the suitcase from an acquaintance of a man she met on social media in 2020, and brought it from Laos to Tokyo as instructed.

She was supposed to meet the man in Japan but he never showed up, according to prosecutors.

She was arrested at the airport and charged with violating Japan's stimulants control and customs laws.

Since her arrest, the Indigenous community leader and former WA Greens candidate has been in custody for nearly two years.